PDA

View Full Version : Sox top ESPN Power Rankings

JaredNYM
05-12-2005, 03:11 AM
Check out the link. But we didn't need ESPN to tell us this. Finally giving the Sox some respect!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?page=powerrank_week6

ZachAL
05-12-2005, 03:15 AM
Just more of what we already know...too bad the twins are 6th. Pretty extreme comment they make for Justin Morneau's case, hopefully he'll cool down.

MUsoxfan
05-12-2005, 03:16 AM
This might be the first time I ever say this....The power rankings are 100% correct

batmanZoSo
05-12-2005, 04:27 AM
1. Chicago White Sox (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=chw): Stat of the week: Jose Contreras has given up only one hit to opposing cleanup hitters.

What? That's just amazing. Shows you just how much potential this guy has, the fact that he's only 1-0 with the above stat working for him. Every problem he's had has been self-induced. If he can shake whatever mental blocks he has and find a killer instinct pitcher's mentality, he's Cy Young material. He's basically unhittable, he only beats himself.

By the way, I won't give ESPN any props for ranking us number one. That's a no-brainer to end all no-brainers. We have like a 3 game lead on every team in baseball and have for a while now. If we're not number one, they oughta just start critiquing movies or something.

daveeym
05-12-2005, 08:42 AM
Just more of what we already know...too bad the twins are 6th. Pretty extreme comment they make for Justin Morneau's case, hopefully he'll cool down. hahaha, exactly, he only has 19 games so far, just another hot start out of the gate, he's got a bit to go before that statement becomes fact.

kempsted
05-12-2005, 08:50 AM
BaseballProspectus has its own power rankings and this week the White Sox were number 1 as well! Not that they shouldn't be but this is fun so far. :gulp:

Johnny Mostil
05-12-2005, 11:00 AM
This might be the first time I ever say this....The power rankings are 100% correct

Geez, I don't know . . . you really think the Jays (16) ought to be above the Phils (17)? Or the Reds (27) ought to be above the Rays (28)?

Joosh
05-12-2005, 11:44 AM
At least the Cubs are number 21 on that list.

But I thought the Cubs had the best Starting Rotation and were a lock for the Series?

Tekijawa
05-12-2005, 11:59 AM
At least the Cubs are number 21 on that list.

But I thought the Cubs had the best Starting Rotation and were a lock for the Series?

If the Cubs had a closer they would be a very average team.

Joosh
05-12-2005, 12:01 PM
If the Cubs had a closer they would be a very average team.

Touche, sir.

Either way, they don't have a closer and I'm lovin it! :bandance:

Palehose13
05-12-2005, 12:39 PM
I looooove this headline:

Updated: May 11, 2005
It's all about the White Sox

mack10zie
05-12-2005, 12:53 PM
It kills me to say this, but Morneau IS the best 1B in the AL... this guy can flat out hit and I cringe at the thought of having to play him 19 games a year for however long he remains a Twinkie. Morneau is for real. Sure, he will cool off, he has to pretty much, but he'll still be quite the player regardless.

GregoryEtc
05-12-2005, 12:55 PM
I think the Twins at 6 is fair. They've played a similar schedule to us but the difference is our head to head games. They'll be the WC team at this pace and a formidable playoff opponent. Plus they have a lot of previous playoff experience (unlike us and baltimore). Be glad we can't face them in the first round. We've shown we can beat them so we're definitely better but don't expect them to fall out of contention. It wouldn't shock me to see a repeat of the 93 NL West race where two teams finished over 100 wins.

batmanZoSo
05-12-2005, 01:56 PM
I think the Twins at 6 is fair. They've played a similar schedule to us but the difference is our head to head games. They'll be the WC team at this pace and a formidable playoff opponent. Plus they have a lot of previous playoff experience (unlike us and baltimore). Be glad we can't face them in the first round. We've shown we can beat them so we're definitely better but don't expect them to fall out of contention. It wouldn't shock me to see a repeat of the 93 NL West race where two teams finished over 100 wins.

Of course the Twins have the last three years of playing in October together, but our team does has some playoff experience. It's not nearly as bad as 2000 where almost every guy on the team was in the playoffs for the first time. Hernandez and Contreras each have World Series experience, Garcia's been to the playoffs twice, Konerko's still here, Dye has experience with the A's, Thomas has been there twice, Pierzynski twice as well, Hermanson must've been to the playoffs with somebody.

DSpivack
05-12-2005, 01:57 PM
It kills me to say this, but Morneau IS the best 1B in the AL... this guy can flat out hit and I cringe at the thought of having to play him 19 games a year for however long he remains a Twinkie. Morneau is for real. Sure, he will cool off, he has to pretty much, but he'll still be quite the player regardless.

I don't disagree with this statement, but just for the sake of argument I was going to look up stats and make the case for someone else. So far, he is overhwhelmingly the best 1B in the AL right now. Sure, he won't hit .411 and he is a Twinkie, but man do I love the fact that he's on my fantasy team.

tacosalbarojas
05-12-2005, 02:01 PM
Of course the Twins have the last three years of playing in October together, but our team does has some playoff experience. It's not nearly as bad as 2000 where almost every guy on the team was in the playoffs for the first time. Hernandez and Contreras each have World Series experience, Garcia's been to the playoffs twice, Konerko's still here, Dye has experience with the A's, Thomas has been there twice, Pierzynski twice as well, Hermanson must've been to the playoffs with somebody.I was going to post pretty much the same thing. Hermie has been in with the Giants. Last year he was their closer at playoff time. Buehrls also pitched out of the pen in the 2000 ALDS. Also Everett with Boston or Texas maybe?

MUScholar21
05-12-2005, 02:08 PM
Garland was called up in 2000, I believe he was in the pen for that as well.

NorthlakeTom
05-12-2005, 03:26 PM
I was going to post pretty much the same thing. Hermie has been in with the Giants. Last year he was their closer at playoff time. Buehrls also pitched out of the pen in the 2000 ALDS. Also Everett with Boston or Texas maybe?

Buehrle pitched a third of an inning in the 2000 ALDS.

Here's the rest of the players that have post-season experience:

Garcia - 2000, '01 with Seattle
Contreras - '03 with NY
Hernandez - '98 to '02, '04 with NY
Hermanson - '01 with St Louis, '03 with SF

Konerko and Thomas from 2000

Pierzynski - '02 & '03 with Minnesota
Widger - '95 with Seattle
Perez - '00 with NYM
Everett - '98 & '99 with Houston
Dye - '96 with Atlanta, '01 to '03 with Oakland

Kuzman
05-12-2005, 03:33 PM
6. Minnesota Twins (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=min): With all due respect to Mark Teixeira, Richie Sexson and Paul Konerko, Justin Morneau is the AL's best first baseman. :chunks

downstairs
05-12-2005, 05:35 PM
1. Chicago White Sox

(scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll....)

22. Chicago Cubs

Ha! Lovin' it!

Max Power
05-12-2005, 06:37 PM

Thomas in '93 as well.

MHOUSE
05-12-2005, 10:44 PM
The difference between Morneau and Texiera (sp?)/Sexson/Konerko/etc. is that the others have had at least one (Tex) if not many productive seasons and play solid defense also. Morneau has a lot of talent and potential, but until recently, he hasn't put up a healthy 162 games and hit .300/40/100 for a full season. I wouldn't be surprised to see him slump and go back to very good numbers, but not this triple crown BS he's been streaking with. Best in the AL? Maybe offensively the last couple weeks, but give the vets more credit.

MHOUSE
05-12-2005, 10:47 PM

Contreras - '03 with NY

Perez - '00 with NYM

That's actually more experience than I thought we have. Most of the Twins' core has been there the last 2-3 years so they might have a leg up on experience, but it's not like we're throwing kids out there, especially with veteran pitching staff. The Marlins didn't have much playoff experience when they went did they? Beckett and Cabrera were basically rookies and Pudge and Urbina hadn't been either or not past the first round, had they?

gf2020
05-12-2005, 11:19 PM

Contreras - '03 with NY

Perez - '00 with NYM

IMHO, it's comprable-- Iguchi has been in the postseason plenty.

DSpivack
05-13-2005, 04:56 PM
The difference between Morneau and Texiera (sp?)/Sexson/Konerko/etc. is that the others have had at least one (Tex) if not many productive seasons and play solid defense also. Morneau has a lot of talent and potential, but until recently, he hasn't put up a healthy 162 games and hit .300/40/100 for a full season. I wouldn't be surprised to see him slump and go back to very good numbers, but not this triple crown BS he's been streaking with. Best in the AL? Maybe offensively the last couple weeks, but give the vets more credit.

So far, he's the best 1B in the AL. That doesn't mean you have to think he'll end up that way. But it's hard to argue that he isn't right now.