PDA

View Full Version : Cubs rotation for Sox/Cubs series

shoota
05-12-2005, 01:20 AM
This topic is Sox related, but I chose to post it in "What's the Score" because it's about the Cubs.

Ever since Zambrano's 136-pitch outing, Baker has speculated that he might push Zambrano one game back in the rotation to recoup. The Tribune has been following this speculation, and it was confirmed in today's Tribune:
The Cubs will start Glendon Rusch Friday night in Washington, giving Carlos Zambrano an extra day's rest as expected. That means Zambrano, Maddux and Mark Prior are on track to start against the White Sox May 20-22 at Wrigley.

Baker is intentionally adjusting his starting rotation to give his team the best chances at beating the Sox. I think he learned this from Jerry Manuel, who IIRC, adjusted the Sox rotation for the purpose of bettering his chances at beating the Cubs during Baker's first year with the Cubs. Baker took some heat for not understanding the importance of the head-to-head Sox/Cubs games. He does now, and as a Sox fan I am pissed at his deception about it. Baker is giving Zambrano, one of his best pitchers, an extra day off to allow him to pitch against the Sox, NOT because he wanted to give him an extra day to rest after his 136-pitch last outing.

Baker, you're about as likeable as your unsellable Subway sandwich. Jared wouldn't even touch that trash.

Kogs35
05-12-2005, 01:26 AM
This topic is Sox related, but I chose to post it in "What's the Score" because it's about the Cubs.

Ever since Zambrano's 136-pitch outing, Baker has speculated that he might push Zambrano one game back in the rotation to recoup. The Tribune has been following this speculation, and it was confirmed in today's Tribune:

Baker is intentionally adjusting his starting rotation to give his team the best chances at beating the Sox. I think he learned this from Jerry Manuel, who IIRC, adjusted the Sox rotation for the purpose of bettering his chances at beating the Cubs during Baker's first year with the Cubs. Baker took some heat for not understanding the importance of the head-to-head Sox/Cubs games. He does now, and as a Sox fan I am pissed at his deception about it. Baker is giving Zambrano, one of his best pitchers, an extra day off to allow him to pitch against the Sox, NOT because he wanted to give him an extra day to rest after his 136-pitch last outing.

Baker, you're about as likeable as your unsellable Subway sandwich. Jared wouldn't even touch that trash.

they start the cry baby zambrano i want timo in right that game to pull the same thing he did last year, that was awesome.

shoota
05-12-2005, 01:28 AM
I don't know why I'm so concerned about who starts in these games when I know that if the Cubs do have a lead, their bullpen will blow the game.

:winner

Boy, how I wish Big Hurt would be back by May 20.

1/2 teal And Carlos Lee and Miguel Olivo too. 1/2 teal/

SoxSpeed22
05-12-2005, 01:44 AM
We're on track for Garcia, Contreras and Hernandez for this series. Should be a good one.

shoota
05-12-2005, 02:05 AM
We're on track for Garcia, Contreras and Hernandez for this series. Should be a good one.

Thanks. That'll set up matchups of Garcia v Zambrano; Contreras v dirt; and El Duque v Prior.

All three games are day games, so I expect a dominant performance from Garcia, who thrives in the daylight.

MUsoxfan
05-12-2005, 03:08 AM
I'm not worried at all about who the Cubs starters are. The Sox have proven again and again that no matter who starts, they WILL beat you.

MIgrenade
05-12-2005, 11:44 AM
Remember that this is all the Cubs have to hang their hats on this season since they suck so expect them to come out with "intensity." I predict 177 pitches from Zambrano, and a Sox sweep.

DumpJerry
05-12-2005, 03:25 PM
Where's Wood?

Seriously, I'm not worried, they can throw anyone they want at us. We'll sweep them. A bunch of foul balls early in the game to run the Flub pitch counts will force Baker's hand to use the bullpen in the 6th or 7th. Once the call goes to the Pen, we know what will happen!:D:

Meanwhile, we have three of our five lights-out starters going in the series.......

My only regret is that Garland won't start, he's pretty good with the bat.

My prediction: Sox starters combine for 9 hits given up during the series.

shoota
05-14-2005, 07:02 PM
I don't know why I'm so concerned about who starts in these games when I know that if the Cubs do have a lead, their bullpen will blow the game.

I've been reading the Trib's coverage of Borowski's rehab. He's currently pitching in the minors and Baker said he hopes to have him back next week. Isn't that so convenient that Baker will have him back for when he plays the Sox?

Baker adjusts his rotation for the Sox series and now I'm betting will have Borowski back to pitch against the Sox. Just another one of the many reasons why I do not like Dusty Baker.

dcb33
05-15-2005, 01:36 AM
Now that Zambrano's hurt, the rotation would likely go:

Fri-Maddux
Sat-TBD
Sun-Prior

shoota
05-15-2005, 02:18 AM
Now that Zambrano's hurt, the rotation would likely go:

Fri-Maddux
Sat-TBD
Sun-Prior

I heard on am670 tonight that Zambrano's injury was just the same cramping he's dealt with since last year. So I don't think he will miss a start--especially one so important against the Sox.

I would love to see a Sox fan who has tickets to next Friday's game at Wrigley take a sign that reads: "Zambrano needs Midol"

Ol' No. 2
05-15-2005, 10:11 AM
I have fond memories of Timo Perez messing with Zambrano's head last year. Podsedink should have him completely insane.:smile:

Kogs35
05-15-2005, 10:50 AM
I have fond memories of Timo Perez messing with Zambrano's head last year. Podsedink should have him completely insane.:smile:

timo in the lineup friday?

Ol' No. 2
05-15-2005, 10:52 AM
timo in the lineup friday?Wouldn't be a bad idea. Zambrano's bound to remember him.

Palpidious
05-15-2005, 12:03 PM
Where's Wood?

Seriously, I'm not worried, they can throw anyone they want at us. We'll sweep them. A bunch of foul balls early in the game to run the Flub pitch counts will force Baker's hand to use the bullpen in the 6th or 7th. Once the call goes to the Pen, we know what will happen!:D:

Meanwhile, we have three of our five lights-out starters going in the series.......

My only regret is that Garland won't start, he's pretty good with the bat.

My prediction: Sox starters combine for 9 hits given up during the series.

i wouldn't call garcia and contreras 'LIGHTS OUT'

oeo
05-15-2005, 01:35 PM
i wouldn't call garcia and contreras 'LIGHTS OUT'

If they're on, they can be...Garcia just had one of those games yesterday and Contreras has all the stuff in the world to be lights out.

DrCrawdad
05-15-2005, 09:45 PM
...Contreras has all the stuff in the world to be lights out.

Just not today or his last start.

Zambrano downplays injury
But elbow tightness problem puts start vs. Sox in doubt

WASHINGTON -- Cubs pitcher Carlos Zambrano will have an MRI on his right elbow Monday in Chicago but insisted he'll be on the mound on Friday against the White Sox at Wrigley Field.

"I don't want to miss that," Zambrano said. - Cubune

I thought it was that the Cubs/Sox games were among the most important games to the Sox and Sox fans?

DMarte708
05-16-2005, 12:16 AM
Just not today or his last start.

I thought it was that the Cubs/Sox games were among the most important games to the Sox and Sox fans?

Elbow tightness?

Wasn't the initial diagnosis of his removal "forearm tightness" Saturday?

Any tigtness (forearm or not) Zambrano experiences should not overlooked. Of course, if he had his way, Zambrano wouldn't miss the start on Fri. He's crazy like that.

Hendry and his collection of prestigious doctors must make an important decision: Start Zambrano on Fri. to defeat those evil White Sox and risk further injury, or take the proper precautionary measure in order to preserve the arm of a young pitcher.