PDA

View Full Version : Baseball World Cup

shaunburnette
05-11-2005, 11:07 PM
Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association jointly announced today that the "World Baseball Classic," a 16-nation tournament featuring the world's best players competing for their home countries, will be played in March 2006. The World Baseball Classic is the result of a coordinated effort among Major League Baseball, the Major League Baseball Players Association, Nippon Professional Baseball, the Korea Baseball Organization and the International Baseball Federation.

"This gathering of baseball's brightest stars will be an outstanding platform to grow the game internationally," said Commissioner Allan H. (Bud) Selig. "As baseball continues to grow globally, more and more fans around the world have the opportunity to appreciate the grace and excitement of our great game. The first World Baseball Classic will bring a unique blend of enthusiasm to old and new fans alike."

"The World Baseball Classic reflects and will demonstrate the continued growth of baseball's appeal worldwide," said MLBPA Executive Director Donald M. Fehr. "We thank the participating leagues, players associations and federations for agreeing to be a part of this event. Major Leaguers look forward to the World Baseball Classic with great anticipation."

Sixteen national teams from North America, South America, Europe, Africa, Asia and Australia will compete in the four-round tournament to be held at various sites in the United States, Asia and Latin America. More detailed information regarding the World Baseball Classic will be announced in July.

shaunburnette
05-11-2005, 11:10 PM
ESPN (I know, dont tell anyone I visited the site) did a story on projected lineups. I dont know why they have Manny Ramirez on the US Squad. And better yet, would Guillen be the manager for Venezuela if Magglio was the DH?

United States
Lineup
SS Derek Jeter
1B Todd Helton
3B Alex Rodriguez
DH Barry Bonds
LF Manny Ramirez
RF Gary Sheffield
CF Jim Edmonds
C Jason Varitek
2B Mark Loretta

Starting pitchers: Roger Clemens, Randy Johnson, Jason Schmidt, Ben Sheets
Bullpen: Brad Lidge, Joe Nathan, Billy Wagner, Tim Hudson, Dontrelle Willis
Bench: Scott Rolen, Adam Dunn, Brian Roberts, Joe Mauer

Dominican Republic
Lineup
2B Alfonso Soriano
SS Miguel Tejada
1B Albert Pujols
DH David Ortiz
CF Vladimir Guerrero
RF Sammy Sosa
3B Aramis Ramirez
LF Jose Guillen
C Miguel Olivo

Starting pitchers: Pedro Martinez, Bartolo Colon, Odalis Perez, Miguel Batista
Bullpen: Francisco Cordero, Guillermo Mota, Armando Benitez, Octavio Dotel, Damaso Marte
Bench: Adrian Beltre, Rafael Furcal, Wily Mo Pena, Juan Brito

Puerto Rico
Lineup
2B Jose Vidro
C Ivan Rodriguez
CF Carlos Beltran
1B Carlos Delgado
DH Javy Lopez
3B Mike Lowell
RF Jose Cruz Jr.
LF Bernie Williams
SS Alex Cora

Starting pitchers: Javier Vazquez, Joel Pineiro, J.C. Romero, Kiko Calero
Bullpen: Roberto Hernandez, Javier Lopez, Fernando Cabrera, Pedro Feliciano, Juan Padilla
Bench: Jorge Posada, Jose Valentin, Juan Gonzalez, Luis Matos

Venezuela
Lineup
3B Melvin Mora
2B Carlos Guillen
CF Bobby Abreu
LF Miguel Cabrera
DH Magglio Ordonez
C Victor Martinez
RF Richard Hidalgo
1B Andres Galarraga
SS Omar Vizquel

Starting pitchers: Johan Santana, Carlos Zambrano, Freddy Garcia, Kelvim Escobar
Bullpen: Francisco Rodriguez, Juan Rincon, Jorge Julio, Ugueth Urbina, Wilson Alvarez
Bench: Ramon Hernandez, Edgardo Alfonzo, Cesar Izturis, Juan Rivera

Canada
Lineup
2B Pete Orr
RF Larry Walker
CF Jason Bay
1B Justin Morneau
3B Corey Koskie
DH Matt Stairs
LF Aaron Guiel
SS Danny Klassen
C Cody McKay

Starting pitchers: Rich Harden, Erik Bedard, Jeff Francis, Ryan Dempster
Bullpen: Eric Gagne, Jesse Crain, Paul Quantrill, Rheal Cormier, Aaron Myette
Bench: Simon Pond, Pete LaForest, Stubby Clapp, Rob Ducey

PaleHoseGeorge
05-11-2005, 11:16 PM
I was impressed with the DR's line up... right up until I saw Miguel Olivo as starting catcher.
:wink:

:jeremyb1
"Besides Olivio starting for the DR, I project Jeremy Reed starting for the USA, too."

White Sox Josh
05-11-2005, 11:17 PM
JAPAN
C: ?
1B: ?
2B: Tadahito Iguchi
3B: Nakamora
SS: Kazuo Matsui
OF: Ichiro Suzuki
OF: So Taguchi
OF: Hideki Matsui
DH: Dave Roberts (Born in Japan)

SP: Hideo Nomo
SP: Tomo Ohka
SP: Kaz Ishii
SP: Keiichi Yabu
RP: Shigetoshi Hasegawa
RP: Akinori Otsuka
RP: Shingo

White Sox Josh
05-11-2005, 11:20 PM
Puerto Rico
Lineup
2B Jose Vidro
C Ivan Rodriguez
CF Carlos Beltran
1B Carlos Delgado
DH Javy Lopez
3B Mike Lowell
RF Jose Cruz Jr.
LF Bernie Williams
SS Alex Cora

Starting pitchers: Javier Vazquez, Joel Pineiro, J.C. Romero, Kiko Calero
Bullpen: Roberto Hernandez, Javier Lopez, Fernando Cabrera, Pedro Feliciano, Juan Padilla
Bench: Jorge Posada, Jose Valentin, Juan Gonzalez, Luis MatosPuerto Rico has two Javy Lopez.:tongue:

LoganSox
05-11-2005, 11:24 PM
Manny Ramirez grew up in NYC.

LoganSox
05-11-2005, 11:25 PM
It would be a shame if there were no Cuban team.

FarWestChicago
05-11-2005, 11:28 PM
I was impressed with the DR's line up... right up until I saw Miguel Olivo as starting catcher.
:wink:

:jeremyb1
"Besides Olivio starting for the DR, I project Jeremy Reed starting for the USA, too.":roflmao:

MRKARNO
05-11-2005, 11:40 PM
JAPAN
C: ?
1B: ?
2B: Tadahito Iguchi
3B: ?
SS: Kazuo Matsui
OF: Ichiro Suzuki
OF: So Taguchi
OF: Hideki Matsui
DH: Dave Roberts (Born in Japan)

SP: Hideo Nomo
SP: Tomo Ohka
SP: Kaz Ishii
SP: Keiichi Yabu
RP: Shigetoshi Hasegawa
RP: Akinori Otsuka
RP: Shingo

Nakamura at third base.

Anyways this is going to be absolutely awesome in my view. I cannot wait!

SoxSpeed22
05-11-2005, 11:40 PM
It would be a shame if there were no Cuban team.I think Cuba's in it, but it depends on Castro's approval. Other teams include: Australia, Korea, Mexico, Taiwan, China, Italy, Panama, Holland and South Africa.

White Sox Josh
05-11-2005, 11:56 PM
CUBA
C: Eli Mararero
1B: Rafael Palmeiro
2B: ?
SS: ?
OF: Alex Sanchez
OF: ?
DH: Kendry Morales

SP: Livan Hernandez
SP: El Duque
SP: Jose Contreras
RP: Danys Baez

White Sox Josh
05-12-2005, 12:05 AM
MEXICO
C:Geronimo Gil
1B: Erubiel Durazo
2B: Jorge Cantu
3B: Vinny Castilla
SS: Juan Castro
OF: Miguel Ojeda
OF: Oscar Robles

SP: Oliver Perez
SP: Esteban Loaiza
SP: Rodrigo Lopez
SP: Ismael Valdes
RP: Jorge de la Rosa
RP: Antonio Osuna
RP: Oscar Villareal
RP: Luis Ayala

ChiSoxRowand
05-12-2005, 12:15 AM
Mexico

C-Geronimo Gil
3B-Vinny Castilla
SS-Jose Valentin
2B-Jorge Cantu
1B-Erubiel Durazo
OF-Karim Garcia
OF-?
OF-?

SP-Oliver Perez
SP-Rodrigo Lopez
SP-Esteban Loaiza
RP-Ricardo Rincon

edit: damn, too late

brewcrew/chisox
05-12-2005, 12:33 AM
CUBA
C: Eli Mararero
1B: Rafael Palmeiro
2B: ?
SS: ?
OF: Alex Sanchez
DH: Kendry Morales

SP: Livan Hernandez
SP: El Duque
SP: Jose Contreras
RP: Danys Baez

I would imagine that if Cuba fielded a team, no one would ever hear of the players, as Castro wouldn't allow any defectors represent Cuba. In addition, I don't think El Duque et al would even want to play for Cuba. I mean would you want to represent a country and a dictator who oppressed you and your family for years?

This is a great idea though,. The teams for each country are loaded for bear, and I know the Japanese would love the chance to see how they'd fair against the rest of the world. I wonder how the logistics would pan out? The When and where of the whole thing. Don't most of the Latin American teams have their season during the MLB off season, hence the whole "Winter ball" thing?

Blueprint1
05-12-2005, 12:41 AM
United States
Lineup
SS Derek Jeter
1B Todd Helton
3B Alex Rodriguez
DH Barry Bonds
LF Manny Ramirez
RF Gary Sheffield
CF Jim Edmonds
C Jason Varitek
2B Mark Loretta

So Scott Rolen sits the bench even thought he is the best 3rd baseman in baseball. I would move Rodriguez back to SS and put Rolen in the game and sit Jeter. Jerter is a great SS but not as good as Rodriguez. We would need Rolen in at 3rd.

Nellie_Fox
05-12-2005, 01:12 AM
Puerto Rico has to Javy Lopez's.Were you trying to say "Puerto Rico has two Javy Lopezes"?

MUsoxfan
05-12-2005, 03:12 AM
My concern (and I know I'm probably not fully updated on it) is what happens to MLB spring training?

TheOldRoman
05-12-2005, 04:11 AM
I dont know why they have Manny Ramirez on the US Squad.
He became a US citizen last summer, and yes, he did grow up in New York.

Charno
05-12-2005, 04:31 AM
My concern (and I know I'm probably not fully updated on it) is what happens to MLB spring training?
They'll definetly be getting work in. And spring training is too long anyway.

Viva Medias B's
05-12-2005, 08:14 AM
Mexico

C-Geronimo Gil
3B-Vinny Castilla
SS-Jose Valentin
2B-Jorge Cantu
1B-Erubiel Durazo
OF-Karim Garcia
OF-?
OF-?

SP-Oliver Perez
SP-Rodrigo Lopez
SP-Esteban Loaiza
RP-Ricardo Rincon

edit: damn, too late

Manos is Puerto Rican.

Ol' No. 2
05-12-2005, 10:15 AM
My concern (and I know I'm probably not fully updated on it) is what happens to MLB spring training?Tim Kurkjian was on Dumb and Dumber this morning talking about this very subject. How many teams are going to let their star players take two weeks off spring training to play in this? I have my doubts.

harwar
05-12-2005, 10:33 AM
I think Cuba's in it, but it depends on Castro's approval. Other teams include: Australia, Korea, Mexico, Taiwan, China, Italy, Panama, Holland and South Africa.

Due to his drastically failing health,Castro will be out of the picture soon.
I was there in 1980 and i fully expect Cuba to have a team as they are fanatical about baseball there.
I just wonder about the starting pitchers throwing in intense and meaningful games all thru march.How will they be come sept. & oct?
Of course the braves pitchers routinely threw more pitches than anyone because they went so far into the post-season every year and it didn't do them any harm.

Flight #24
05-12-2005, 12:06 PM
Tim Kurkjian was on Dumb and Dumber this morning talking about this very subject. How many teams are going to let their star players take two weeks off spring training to play in this? I have my doubts.

I don't believe the teams have an option since this is Bud's baby, it'll be a mandate from on high that they have to let them go.

Noted in the paper today that insurance would be an issue, as would extra load on pitchers from this tournament. Just think of the injuries that occur in ST - the first time one occurs in this tourney (or prep for it), there'll be hell to pay. The timing of this is not great, much better to have it at the END of the season, after the WS.

The real question might be if teams have to also let managers go (And Venezuela's supposedly asked Ozzie to manage their squad). I'd guess not - they need to be around to prep the remainder of the guys in ST.

mikehuff
05-12-2005, 12:15 PM
I love this idea, but I don't like it being in March. I think that's just going to keep some of the best players out. I wish it could be held some time over the winter or something in the Southern hemisphere. It seems kind of tough doing this in a marathon sport like baseball.

By the way after looking at the US team, I'd almost rather root for Japan or something. We've got a bunch of jerks on the team.

- Here's another point to make. If this is supposed to be a 3 week thing taking place in March and possibly coinciding with spring training, you would have to assume that if it's popular enough it could effect the length of regular seaon baseball. Let's say this is huge and it happens to overlap spring training a bit. Year after year, you would think that they would try to make room for both. Well, you really can't push the season back any further with it currently ending close to November. The only thing you could do would be to cut some games and maybe go back to a 154 game schedule. That's another tough one because of the lost revenue. Hmm... this is a tricky one.

MIgrenade
05-12-2005, 12:24 PM
I love this idea, but I don't like it being in March. I think that's just going to keep some of the best players out. I wish it could be held some time over the winter or something in the Southern hemisphere. It seems kind of tough doing this in a marathon sport like baseball.

By the way after looking at the US team, I'd almost rather root for Japan or something. We've got a bunch of jerks on the team.

- Here's another point to make. If this is supposed to be a 3 week thing taking place in March and possibly coinciding with spring training, you would have to assume that if it's popular enough it could effect the length of regular seaon baseball. Let's say this is huge and it happens to overlap spring training a bit. Year after year, you would think that they would try to make room for both. Well, you really can't push the season back any further with it currently ending close to November. The only thing you could do would be to cut some games and maybe go back to a 154 game schedule. That's another tough one because of the lost revenue. Hmm... this is a tricky one.

Right on, I see a lot of minor leaguers playing instead of major leaguers.

Sox of White
05-12-2005, 12:26 PM
United States
Lineup
SS Derek Jeter
1B Todd Helton
3B Alex Rodriguez
DH Barry Bonds
LF Manny Ramirez
RF Gary Sheffield
CF Jim Edmonds
C Jason Varitek
2B Mark Loretta

So Scott Rolen sits the bench even thought he is the best 3rd baseman in baseball. I would move Rodriguez back to SS and put Rolen in the game and sit Jeter. Jerter is a great SS but not as good as Rodriguez. We would need Rolen in at 3rd.

For real, screw Jeter.

Jjav829
05-12-2005, 12:30 PM
Assuming these rosters, I like team USA's chances in this. The only potential downfall for the U.S. is age. Bonds, RJ, Clemens, and Sheffield are all close to being done. I would also say Thome should probably on the team and Jeff Kent probably deserves to start over Loretta. Prior or Peavy should also be on there.

That Dominican lineup is scary good. Pitchers would be coming up with tweaks and illnesses to avoid facing that lineup. Tejada, Pujols, Ortiz and Guerrero is scary enough. Then throw in Soriano, Ramirez, Sosa and even Guillen.:o:

Ditto for Venezuela's starting pitching. Santana, Zambrano, Garcia and Escobar? Wow...

The best bullpen belongs to the U.S. Lidge, Nathan and Wagner? Talk about a 6-inning game...

This competition would clearly come down to those 3 teams. Poor Canada. They're gonna get smoked unless Harden and Gagne can combine for 9 inning everyday. Puerto Rico will put up a decent fight. I don't know what these other teams will look like, but they won't be able to compete against the top 3.

This could be pretty fun.

mikehuff
05-12-2005, 12:32 PM
Check this out from the story on ESPN...

Negotiation of an agreement regarding drug testing also contributed to the long tournament negotiations. Last year, players and owners agreed to a policy consistent with the guidelines set by the World Anti-Doping Agency and the Olympic movement, which are generally considered stronger than the ones currently governing all major-league players and the subject of considerable debate.

Whoops... Sorry Sosa, Sheffield, Bonds, Ivan Rodriguez? Maybe we'll catch a few others.

Jjav829
05-12-2005, 12:40 PM
Check this out from the story on ESPN...

Negotiation of an agreement regarding drug testing also contributed to the long tournament negotiations. Last year, players and owners agreed to a policy consistent with the guidelines set by the World Anti-Doping Agency and the Olympic movement, which are generally considered stronger than the ones currently governing all major-league players and the subject of considerable debate.

Whoops... Sorry Sosa, Sheffield, Bonds, Ivan Rodriguez? Maybe we'll catch a few others.

Ha, ok, new US lineup...

CF Juan Pierre
LF Carl Crawford
3B Chone Figgins
1B Adam LaRoche
2B Mark Grudzielanek
RF Randy Winn
C Michael Barrett
SS Khalil Greene
DH Scott Podsednik

:D:

mikehuff
05-12-2005, 12:47 PM
Ha, ok, new US lineup...

CF Juan Pierre
LF Carl Crawford
3B Chone Figgins
1B Adam LaRoche
2B Mark Grudzielanek
RF Randy Winn
C Michael Barrett
SS Khalil Greene
DH Scott Podsednik

:D:

That's awesome. To tell you the truth, I'd rather root for guys like this.
- Oh yeah, why not throw Frank in there too.

brewcrew/chisox
05-12-2005, 12:53 PM
ESPN (I know, dont tell anyone I visited the site) did a story on projected lineups. I dont know why they have Manny Ramirez on the US Squad. And better yet, would Guillen be the manager for Venezuela if Magglio was the DH?

United States
Lineup
SS Derek Jeter
1B Todd Helton
3B Alex Rodriguez
DH Barry Bonds
LF Manny Ramirez
RF Gary Sheffield
CF Jim Edmonds
C Jason Varitek
2B Mark Loretta

I would imagine that the World Cup would have a tougher Sterioid policy than that which is in place in the MLB

That would mean:

No Bary Bonds
No Gary Sheffield

If he is healthy, I see no reason why Frank Thomas is not batting DH for the Red White and Blue

Lip Man 1
05-12-2005, 01:01 PM
I'm curious to know if players are going to be forced to participate or if it's 'if you want to,' also what happens to spring training? Is it shut down while the games are being played? Do the players not participating continue with their normal preparations?

Just my opinion but if any Sox players are chosen and they have the option, I hope they choose not to participate. 162 game season is long enough, the Sox need to keep their routine and get ready for a season that actually counts for something.

Lip

brewcrew/chisox
05-12-2005, 01:08 PM
I'm curious to know if players are going to be forced to participate or if it's 'if you want to,' also what happens to spring training? Is it shut down while the games are being played? Do the players not participating continue with their normal preparations?

Just my opinion but if any Sox players are chosen and they have the option, I hope they choose not to participate. 162 game season is long enough, the Sox need to keep their routine and get ready for a season that actually counts for something.

Lip

Lip,

Don't you think Spring training is too long anyway? I mean, would it be a tremendous problem if they shortened the Spring Training season to accommodate for these three weeks? Even better, why not have it at the same time of spring training; while the lesser players and minor leaguers are playing in Arizona and Florida, the Marquee players are playing in the tournament. As long as the Pitching staff is being treated with the same amount of care as they would in Spring Training, then i would say why not. Perhaps they could expand the World Cup pitching roster so as not to allow pitchers to be overworked so soon. This could be something that would be great for the sport world wide, as well as be fun as heck to watch.

Lip Man 1
05-12-2005, 01:18 PM
Brewcrew:

And it's still meaningless right? If players are going to run the risk of getting hurt, let them get hurt in something that has meaning.

There's no way to get around spring training injuries since you have to get ready for the regular season but who is to say that these games for the Latin American nations especially, aren't going to be played and managed 'all out?'

Your point about caring for pitchers and maintaining their health is an excellent point. The people who know them best are their own managers and pitching coaches, not people from other teams.

Your question about spring training is interesting. I think it depends on the kind of team you have...if it's a veteran bunch and you pretty much have your roster set then six weeks is probably to long, but if it's a young team or a team with a lot on new acquisitions (a la this year's Sox) then it probably isn't. You need that time to get consistency, learn how your new teammates react in situations and to try to figure out who can actually play.

Lip

ivancalderon22
05-12-2005, 01:43 PM
The best team on paper, to me, would seem to be Venezuala. Which raises the question- would Ozzie manage if he was given the oppurtunity, and would Magglio be on the team if Ozzie managed. All and all- lots of great players evenly distributed throughout the planet- should be fun to follow.

shaunburnette
05-12-2005, 02:31 PM
The best team on paper, to me, would seem to be Venezuala. Which raises the question- would Ozzie manage if he was given the oppurtunity, and would Magglio be on the team if Ozzie managed. All and all- lots of great players evenly distributed throughout the planet- should be fun to follow.

Whom do the Venezualans look at as more of an icon figure? I dont know the answer to that question. Magglio or Ozzie?

SoxEd
05-12-2005, 05:41 PM
What?
No 'Team GB'?

I'm shocked...

But seriously, I'm all for the idea of a World Cup (at least it won't be embarassing that Britain suck at this sport:D:, as unlike many of the others we suck at, we didn't actually invent it and then spread it round the globe).

The scheduling is awkward (and a pretty intractable problem too, given a 162-game regular season), and the Conspiracy Theorist in me wonders this...

Is it perhaps timed to allow non-MLB players (i.e. players in relatively small baseball markets like Australia & S. America) to 'have the jump' on the MLB players, because they're coming off the end of their season, rather than the end of the MLB Off-Season.

i.e. Team USA (& Team DR or Cuba?) are less likely to be dominant - so the Cup is more competitive, so more folks watch around the world - so the game grows internationally.

Of course, the other side to that coin is that those guys are more likely to be injured/tired from their domestic season, whereas MLB players are fully rested, fresh, and ready to rock.

Hmm...

Bring It On, I say, it'll be great to see - and will hopefully get more coverage here than the Olympic BB did.