PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Rehab Next Week?

Lip Man 1
05-11-2005, 09:18 PM
From White Sox. com:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050511&content_id=1046588&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Charlotte here he comes!

Lip

munchman33
05-11-2005, 09:22 PM
That 8 game Charlotte homestand is still over a week away. But his return is still a lot sooner than the media has been making it seem.

Lip Man 1
05-11-2005, 09:25 PM
Munch:

Remember Thomas was quoted as saying just a few days ago, he would have no trouble traveling to Ottawa for that four game series.

Lip

OEO Magglio
05-11-2005, 09:25 PM
Man, I can't wait to get Frank back.

munchman33
05-11-2005, 09:37 PM
Munch:

Remember Thomas was quoted as saying just a few days ago, he would have no trouble traveling to Ottawa for that four game series.

Lip

EVEN BETTER!!! :bandance: :bandance:

pinwheels3530
05-12-2005, 12:59 AM
I can't wait to get No.35 back in the line up! Go Sox!!!!!

Jurr
05-12-2005, 01:04 AM
In that article, Frank's saying that he's playing at a level of 6 or so on his pain threshhold. I just hope he doesn't come back for a cup of coffee, tweak the ankle on some little slide, then be out the rest of the year. I went through too much teasing with Maggs coming back last year...couldn't handle it again.

shoota
05-12-2005, 01:35 AM
I forget how Thomas hurt his ankle originally. Little help?

voodoochile
05-12-2005, 08:06 AM

It's all related to the same thing that happened in 1999. He didn't hurt it in a classic way (bad slide leading to a sprain/tear). It's simply the way his ankle is. Over time it gets worse and worse.

mike squires
05-12-2005, 08:09 AM
Can you imagine the ovation Frank will get when he steps up to the dish?

Deadguy
05-12-2005, 09:45 AM

Fielding a gound ball against Florida on June 17th. He then aggravated it in the 8th inning while running the bases.

If you look at the box scores in the following games up until he reached the DL, you will see a steady decline in his numbers. It's a shame too, since Thomas was having one of his best seasons in terms of walks per PA and Homeruns per PA. Even better than 1994, if I remember correctly. He was also up there with Manny Ramirez in OPS, as it was 1.100 at one point.

Probably can't expect him to return to that, possibly ever again, but even at 2002 form, he'd arguably be the best hitter on this team.....

Jaffar
05-12-2005, 09:55 AM
The pain Frank is suffering from is scar tissue that built up in his ankle after the surgery on his foot. I wouldn't call it an ankle injury but I'm not a doctor.

Flight #24
05-12-2005, 10:26 AM
Just a guess, but unless Frank comes out in AAA absolutely smoking, he's going to get close to the 100ABs originally suggested. I say this because I think there's 0% chance that they take a chance on him playing first, and they have the interleague series at NL parks June 6-12. So unless he comes back by the week of May 23 (i.e. a 1-week rehab stint), they'd be bringing him back just in time to play a game or 2, then sit for a week. IMO that's unlikely.

Pushing a rehab stint out to last from about Monday through the interleague series will take about a month, i.e. about 100ABs.

It would, however be sweet (and VERY useful) to have a healthy Frank for the series @LAA & @TEX.

RKMeibalane
05-12-2005, 10:39 AM
Just a guess, but unless Frank comes out in AAA absolutely smoking, he's going to get close to the 100ABs originally suggested. I say this because I think there's 0% chance that they take a chance on him playing first, and they have the interleague series at NL parks June 6-12. So unless he comes back by the week of May 23 (i.e. a 1-week rehab stint), they'd be bringing him back just in time to play a game or 2, then sit for a week. IMO that's unlikely.

Pushing a rehab stint out to last from about Monday through the interleague series will take about a month, i.e. about 100ABs.

It would, however be sweet (and VERY useful) to have a healthy Frank for the series @LAA & @TEX.

I don't think he'll be in Charlotte for 100 at-bats, but I do think that he'll wait until the Cubs series is over before he is back with the Sox. There's no reason for him to play 1B and risk another injury, especially right after coming back. The Sox were hoping to have him play first base at Colorado and San Diego, but at least by then they would know if he can still play the field at all.

The important thing right now is for Frank to get used to playing again. He has done well in batting practice and simulated at-bats against Sox pitchers, but that's not the same as real live action. I would guess he will take a few games at Charlotte to adjust, and then he'll be ready. I feel sorry for the rest of the American League. They're in for a rude awakening when Thomas is back in the number-three slot.

Frater Perdurabo
05-12-2005, 11:24 AM
At the rate Frank walks (his eye wasn't injured), getting 100 ABs may take a bit longer than the average player. 100 plate appearances, maybe? Even if he averages 5 PAs per night (and that might be stretching it sometimes), that's still 20 games.

Lip Man 1
05-12-2005, 11:50 AM
There is a rule that rehab assignments can only last 20 days, just FYI.

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
05-12-2005, 12:01 PM
I feel sorry for the rest of the American League. They're in for a rude awakening when Thomas is back in the number-three slot.

If he remains healthy, I think Frank Thomas has to be a favorite for September's AL player of the month. Look at what he's got going for him:

1. He's a monster at home (1.030 home OPS the last three years) and a monster in September (1.004 OPS); Sox play 17 home games (11 road) in September.

2. The Sox play the pitching poor AL Central teams home and away (4 game home series with KC!) and three home games with the Angels, against whom his 3-year OPS is a dazzling 1.046 total and 1.414 at the Cell!

3. He will have gotten his at bats at Charlotte and almost three months in regular game action. He will be completely comfortable with Pods and Iguchi causing havoc on the basepaths of him.

4. The Cell will be packed with Sox fans in anticipation of the pennant race.

Indeed, barring injury relapses, the stars are perfectly aligned for Frank to carry this team on his back into the postseason. And then, he'll be hot just in time for the playoffs.

:supernana:

CPditka
05-12-2005, 12:08 PM
June 3-6th the Knights are playing the Indianapolis Indians if anyone is wanting to see the Messiah, I mean, Franks, Rehab stint.

shoota
05-12-2005, 12:51 PM
It's all related to the same thing that happened in 1999. He didn't hurt it in a classic way (bad slide leading to a sprain/tear). It's simply the way his ankle is. Over time it gets worse and worse.

Fielding a gound ball against Florida on June 17th. He then aggravated it in the 8th inning while running the bases.

Thanks. Because his injury didn't happen in a classic way, like tearing a tricep while diving for an Ichiro Suzuki ground ball with James Baldwin pitching, I couldn't recall the cause of it.

RKMeibalane
05-12-2005, 02:05 PM
June 3-6th the Knights are playing the Indianapolis Indians if anyone is wanting to see the Messiah, I mean, Franks, Rehab stint.

If he's still with Charlotte, I will be going to see him.