how many will WE win?

Total Runs for both teams ?

My Pics
sox will split 2-2
sox 16 runs for 4 games
balt 13 runs for 4 games

Frater Perdurabo
05-11-2005, 10:11 PM
I predict a Sox sweep. No deeppink. They are coming home and the Cell should be packed.

MRKARNO
05-11-2005, 10:13 PM
I'm a little skeptical and I think the Sox will split the series, which wouldnt be such a bad thing in my view. 3 of 4 would be great, but I only expect a split the way the two teams have been going.

One thing which I think will end is the Sox' lead streak. With a team that scores as much as Baltimore does, I would imagine that there might be one game where the Sox are outhit early and cannot recover, but we shall see. It's been amazingly impressive so far.

chisoxmike
05-11-2005, 10:16 PM
Me thinks the Sox will win Thursday and Sunday.

chisoxmike
05-11-2005, 11:43 PM
I predict a Sox sweep. No deeppink. They are coming home and the Cell should be packed.

I heard that they already have 25,000-31,000 for each game.

A.T. Money
05-11-2005, 11:46 PM
I think we're going to grab em all.

Is Sosa going to play? I was hoping he would.

chisoxmike
05-11-2005, 11:48 PM
Is Sosa going to play? I was hoping he would.

Nope, HE GONE. Although, I would've loved to hear the boo-birds this weekend. I wonder if he would've wore earplugs. :tongue:

A.T. Money
05-11-2005, 11:52 PM
No Sosa, on the DL. Damn.

That's the going to ruin all the fun of this series. I was interested in seeing how many Flub fans would show up.

seanpmurphy
05-12-2005, 12:10 AM
If the Sox pitching stays true, why can't we take all 4? No fear. Just wins.

batmanZoSo
05-12-2005, 12:14 AM
Who knows? It's baseball, things change every day. I know if they play like they did in Tampa, they're gonna have a rough time and I would bet they lose 3/4. But in one day everything could change. They could get hot with the bats and the pitching could get back on track. The last run through the rotation has been fairly rough. Maybe this one will be better.

That said, I say sweep. Why would I want any less? :cool:

NorthlakeTom
05-12-2005, 12:19 AM
Sosa came down with a convenient hangnail. An abscess and staph infection, officially, but we all know it's a case of soxfanitis. Just when I picked up some cork futures, too.

The games will be interesting, and I'd like to say three out of four. If Garland has put the last outing out of his head, the chances of winning three are good. I expect the typical solid performances from Buehrle and Garcia.

MIgrenade
05-12-2005, 01:10 AM
If Garland has put the last outing out of his head, the chances of winning three are good. I expect the typical solid performances from Buehrle and Garcia.

I'd say you're right about this, but I think Garland lost something when the Sox actually hit the ball and he had to sit for a while between innings. Anyway, he has to come back strong. This is a big test for the Sox because they are facing a great offense and good pitching and they just got beat by good hitting. This is also a playoff contender and it would be nice to give a heads-up to those out east that the Sox matter. If the starters are strong and Pods gets on base, the Sox will be okay.

TaylorStSox
05-12-2005, 01:15 AM
Split. Baltimore's peaking and we're leveling off.

Rocklive99
05-12-2005, 01:19 AM
I disagree with how some of the Chicago sports radio hosts (I know, I should stop giving them ratings) were saying this is a defining or make/break series to show what team the Sox really are. B.S, that's why you play the whole season, way to early to label a team, positively or negatively (unless it's an obvious gutter team like kc or tb)

MIgrenade
05-12-2005, 01:38 AM
I disagree with how some of the Chicago sports radio hosts (I know, I should stop giving them ratings) were saying this is a defining or make/break series to show what team the Sox really are. B.S, that's why you play the whole season, way to early to label a team, positively or negatively (unless it's an obvious gutter team like kc or tb)

It's not make or break but it says something about the team. You can't beat up on the Royals all season and certainly not in the post season. If you want to make a statement to the league this is the time to do it.

Jurr
05-12-2005, 02:02 AM
I am not too sure. Baltimore is having injury problems at the moment, as Luis Matos and Sosa are now DL bound. They're going to be pretty thin in the outfield. Too bad they're not hurting in the infield. Hopefully the Sox take advantage of the back end of Baltimore's rotation, and we win 3 or 4. I'd be happy with 3, but I see a split.

seanpmurphy
05-12-2005, 02:45 AM
I'd say you're right about this, but I think Garland lost something when the Sox actually hit the ball and he had to sit for a while between innings. Anyway, he has to come back strong. This is a big test for the Sox because they are facing a great offense and good pitching and they just got beat by good hitting. This is also a playoff contender and it would be nice to give a heads-up to those out east that the Sox matter. If the starters are strong and Pods gets on base, the Sox will be okay.

Maybe it was just an off day for Garland? I don't think the hitting had anything to do with it. He had a complete game shut out against the Tigers when the Sox tallied 8 runs. Maybe there's something in the water up in Canada? :tongue:

halfpricemonday
05-12-2005, 02:48 AM
One hint: I'm planning on bringing my Sox Park approved broom on Sunday.

White Sox Josh
05-12-2005, 08:35 AM
Game 1: Sox win 5-2; W Garland L Chen S Takatsu

Game 2: Sox win 2-1; W Buehrle L Lopez S Takatsu

Game 3: Orioles win 4-2: W Cabrera L Garcia S Ryan

Game 4: Sox Win 6-4: W Contreras L Bedard S Hermanson

ma_deuce
05-12-2005, 08:51 AM
Game 1: Sox win 5-2; W Garland L Chen S Takatsu

Game 2: Sox win 2-1; W Buehrle L Lopez S Takatsu

Game 3: Orioles win 4-2: W Cabrera L Garcia S Ryan

Game 4: Sox Win 6-4: W Contreras L Bedard S Hermanson

I agree... 3 out of four with the loss coming on Saturday.

elrod
05-12-2005, 08:56 AM
Depends on the walks. If our pitchers start walking people then we're in trouble. If they throw like they can, then we'll be fine.

The Racehorse
05-12-2005, 08:56 AM
If we win today, we'll sweep... if not, we'll win 3 out of 4.

It's the O's who should be afraid.

White Sox Josh
05-12-2005, 09:02 AM
They have to shut down Brian Roberts. He is their energizer and he also has a lot of power for a small dude.

SSN721
05-12-2005, 09:05 AM
I am thinking witht he way they performed in the TB series I am a little weary of them playing great offense along with at the very least decent pitching. I say probably a split, hoping for a series win though. I just dont think that the Sox can hold them down for 4 straight games so I just see a sweep as unlikely. Hope I am wrong though.

HomeFish
05-12-2005, 09:19 AM
They have to shut down Brian Roberts. He is their energizer and he also has a lot of power for a small dude.

Apparently Brian Roberts wears contact lenses that make red stand out, thus helping him see the seams of the baseball very clearly. Has anyone else herd this? An Orioles fan I know ascribes his success to this.

OH!foracold1
05-12-2005, 09:42 AM
I see a split series. A lot is going to depend on tonights game. If Garland has his sinker working I see a "W". The problem I see tonight is the weather and wind. Doesn't to much wind flatten out a sinker ball?

Jurr
05-12-2005, 09:43 AM
Apparently Brian Roberts wears contact lenses that make red stand out, thus helping him see the seams of the baseball very clearly. Has anyone else herd this? An Orioles fan I know ascribes his success to this.
Very true. They're called Performance Lenses, and they're becoming a big hit in the league. Brian Roberts was the first guy to really rave about 'em, and they're going to catch on.

Baby Fisk
05-12-2005, 10:52 AM
Wins from Garland, Buehrle and Garcia. If that happens, Sunday will be a "bench players" toss up.

However, if Garland loses tonight... :o: :(: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :thud:

Procol Harum
05-12-2005, 10:58 AM
First game will be a tone-setter--lookin' at the pitching match-ups and medical roll, if Garland can do his thang tonight and win, I think we'll get 3 of 4 at the least. If he loses, I'd be very, very happy to come away with a split.

harwar
05-12-2005, 11:27 AM
I've been ready for this series for some time now.
The 2 teams with the no. 1 & 2 records in MLB.
I wish the weather was better but theres' nothing to be done about that(actually weather mod experiments are coming along nicely)
I personally could care less if sosa plays or not.
Hes' just another ballplayer.

elrod
05-12-2005, 11:34 AM
I wonder if the weather will actually help us. Bad, cold weather makes the ball die, which means pitchers' duels. I'll take the White Sox in a pitcher's duel over the Orioles.

mccoydp
05-12-2005, 12:48 PM
2 of 4. Wins for Garland and Buehrle, losses for Garcia and Contreras.

I hope I am dead wrong.

mack10zie
05-12-2005, 01:36 PM
Chances of rain:

Today: 80% STORMS
Tomorrow: 60% STRONG STORMS
Saturday: 40% Showers
Sunday: 20% Partly Cloudy

We might not get all 4 games in. For tonight there is supposed to be showers, followed by storm around 9, doesn't sound so good. Tomorrow doesn't look very good either. I'm excited for this series and hope we get all the games in but I get the feeling that we might only be playing 3 games with the possibility of a double header on Sunday perhaps to make it 4. We'll see.

As for predictions. 3 out of 4 sounds about right.

pdimas
05-12-2005, 01:47 PM
I saw a few posts that mentioned the performance lenses that Brian Roberts has been using. Here is a link to an article that was on Fox Sports a few weeks ago about the lenses:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3559064

JoseCanseco6969
05-12-2005, 02:00 PM
im hoping for at least a split....but 3 out of 4 would be awesome!
I'll be at 3 of the 4 so i imagine my 4-0 winning streak so far this season will come to an end this weekend(hopefulyl not!)

JoseCanseco6969
05-12-2005, 02:07 PM
Chances of rain:

Today: 80% STORMS
Tomorrow: 60% STRONG STORMS
Saturday: 40% Showers
Sunday: 20% Partly Cloudy

actually i just typed in zip code 60616 on weather.com and heres what i got.

7pm tonight 40% chance till 9pm showers
9pm 50% with storms

so a little better

fox2
05-12-2005, 03:58 PM
52 years of being disappointed says Garland and Garcia lose, Buehrle and Contreras win for a split. I'm going to be jumping for joy when Garland proves me wrong.

batmanZoSo
05-12-2005, 04:05 PM

That's hilarious, I had no idea. I knew he was cheating somehow, I mean this is a guy who probably just doubled his career home run total in six weeks.

Actually, after checking baseball-reference, I was wrong--he still needs two bombs to double his career total.

This kills me, I really wanted this guy last year, but then again Iguchi has been outstanding.

steranim
05-12-2005, 04:53 PM
I like Garland and Contreras to win in the split

wdelaney72
05-12-2005, 04:56 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/wdelaney72/ClubberLang.bmp "My prediction... PAIN"

kraut83
05-12-2005, 05:08 PM
Split. Baltimore's peaking and we're leveling off.

Agreed, but the loss of Matos is huge. David Newhan is a decent hitter, but a 3B by trade, and will probably start in the OF from what I've read.

If the Sox get the win tonight, then 3 of 4, otherwise a split.

AZChiSoxFan
05-12-2005, 05:12 PM
Maybe it was just an off day for Garland? I don't think the hitting had anything to do with it. He had a complete game shut out against the Tigers when the Sox tallied 8 runs. Maybe there's something in the water up in Canada? :tongue:

I wondered if he struggled due to having a big lead. Some pitchers do better in a tight game as they are forced to concentrate on every pitch. Sometimes with a big lead, they tend to lose their focus.

Flight #24
05-12-2005, 05:36 PM
The pessimist in me says that in typical Sox style, they'll crap the bed in games 1-3, then win game #4. Thus negating good feelings, excitement, and momentum.

But this season, I think it's 3-4 or a sweep. The O's HAD a good offense, but with Sosa & Matos out it's not nearly as good. 1-4 are extremely tough, but Chris Gomez, Larry Bigbie, David Newhan, Jay Gibbons, & BJ Surhoff don't have me quaking in the corner in fear. Plus, outside of Bedard, their pitching is nowhere near as good as ours.

HoosierHerb
05-12-2005, 05:43 PM
I would have loved to see Sosa corkscrew himself into the ground on a frisbee from Shingo. However I'll realistically predict a split with lots of no-show fans b/c of the weather--which of course the media will say is because Sham-me is not playing.

HoosierHerb
05-12-2005, 05:45 PM
Is there an award for least number of posts with almost 2 years of membership?? Cuz it think i would have that wrapped up.:bandance: I've always wanted to use that guy.

SoxEd
05-12-2005, 06:18 PM
Two points:
Firstly, how great is it that we're worried that our FIFTH starter MIGHT lose a game? How often would that have been an issue worth debating over the last couple of years?

Secondly, whoever thinks that Cub fans won't show up because Sosa's on the DL, you're assuming that they know what that means - they'll be at the Cell, and in large, drunken packs, looking for Scammy...

As to the Sox' chances, I'm really torn on this - I can see any result from 3-1 to 1-3 in this series - but then, that's why I'm sitting here in England and not writing for the Sports Media in the US or living it up in Martinique off my copious gambling income... :redneck

Paulwny
05-12-2005, 06:34 PM
We'll now begin to see if there is a difference. Over the last ~ 3yrs the sox have played some really bad ball before large crowds at home.
I'm becoming optimistic about this year, sox take 3 and I become firmly optimistic.

owensmouth
05-12-2005, 06:43 PM
I'm hoping for as many wins as possible. No Scummy Sam and no Matos, plus an influx of untried AAA and A players is to our advantage. If (and they are 3 big ifs) Garland, Buehrle and Garcia pitch to their ability, we win three games. Contreras will start by walking Roberts, who will steal 2d and 3d in three pitches. This team can hit and will score a lot of runs on Contreras, who won't make it out of the third inning.

mccoydp
05-15-2005, 10:33 PM
2 of 4. Wins for Garland and Buehrle, losses for Garcia and Contreras.

I hope I am dead wrong.

Did I call that one or what?

I wish I had been wrong!