PDA

View Full Version : New acquisitions: grades

A. Cavatica
05-11-2005, 08:56 PM
Dye - D. In danger of losing his job.
Podsednik - B+. Playing much more like the 2003 edition than 2004, but needs to get a few more singles or show some power.
Iguchi - A. Consistent and fundamentally sound.
Pierzynski - B-. Not hitting much, but can't argue with the staff ERA.
Widger - A. Talk about making the most of your playing time!
Hernandez - A. Eating up important innings, and getting wins.
Hermanson - A+. I thought he'd be a dud. Instead, he's been untouchable.
Vizcaino - D. Hasn't shown much, but at least he's better than Koch or Jackson.

NorthlakeTom
05-11-2005, 09:13 PM
I'm trying to find some disagreement, but I think you've nailed it.

The only thing I'd add is that AJ needs to start throwing out base stealers.

Sargeant79
05-11-2005, 09:17 PM
I pretty much agree with you too. At first glance, I thought you may have graded Pods a little too high, but when I think about it, he means so much more to the lineup than merely his batting average or on base percentage. While I would like to see more hits out of him, his ability to get into opposing pitchers' heads and to get himself into scoring position without any help earns him a B+ at least.

Daver
If you are giving credit to the team ERA, it should go to Don Cooper, he calls over half the pitches, not AJ.

jabrch
The only thing I'd add is that AJ needs to start throwing out base stealers.

We knew he wasn't good at that when we got him. I'd rather see him get his average up to .300 where he has been in the past.

Frater Perdurabo
05-11-2005, 09:19 PM
I agree with most of the letter grades except your assessment of Podsednik. Would I like his .242 average to be higher? Sure. But the last thing they need from him is more "power." Right now, with a .367 OBP, he's on pace for 90+ walks and 80+ steals! And that's after missing seven games! If he finished the season with 90 walks, 80 steals, a .367 OBP, I'd give that leadoff hitter an A.

NorthlakeTom
05-11-2005, 09:22 PM
We knew he wasn't good at that when we got him. I'd rather see him get his average up to .300 where he has been in the past.
Perhaps, but Hollins quadrupling his SB total in one game is unacceptable. It seems that half the attempts don't even draw a throw.

johnny_mostil
05-11-2005, 09:24 PM
If you are giving credit to the team ERA, it should go to Don Cooper, he calls over half the pitches, not AJ.

Sure, but Cooper called them last year, too, with different results. Something sure as heck changed. Unless one has evidence to the contrary, one has to assume that the catchers on a team with a 3.20 ERA are doing something right.

A. Cavatica
05-11-2005, 09:26 PM
I agree with most of the letter grades except your assessment of Podsednik. Would I like his .242 average to be higher? Sure. But the last thing they need from him is more "power." Right now, with a .367 OBP, he's on pace for 90+ walks and 80+ steals! And that's after missing seven games! If he finished the season with 90 walks, 80 steals, a .367 OBP, I'd give that leadoff hitter an A.

I agree that the OBP is good. But the leadoff hitter is only guaranteed to lead off the first inning, so slugging percentage is still relevant, and his is too low even for a leadoff hitter.

Frater Perdurabo
05-11-2005, 09:28 PM
I agree that the OBP is good. But the leadoff hitter is only guaranteed to lead off the first inning, so slugging percentage is still relevant, and his is too low even for a leadoff hitter.

Fair enough. However, often the cleanup hitter (or the #5 guy) will lead off the second inning. Do we hold it against them if either of them can't run well?

swanson24
05-11-2005, 09:30 PM
In general I agree with the grades and still remain hopeful that players with a "D" mark will redeem themselves as the season goes along. However the only thing I would care to disagree with is the claim about Podsednik. I just don't see him being a power guy. I see him more as a "1-Dog" Lance Johnson center fielder singles, walks and speed. I think Pods has the potential to be a well respected stolen base man before his career is over. Awesome thread. :cool:

A. Cavatica
05-11-2005, 09:34 PM
Fair enough. However, often the cleanup hitter (or the #5 guy) will lead off the second inning. Do we hold it against them if either of them can't run well?

I don't care about the running, but I do want #4 and #5 guys who walk. That's why I liked the move of Thomas to #4 last year.

SoxSpeed22
05-11-2005, 09:49 PM
The best grade has to go to Hernandez. Even if Hermanson has been a stud in the bullpen. In 7 starts, El Duque has as many wins as the Sox's 5th starters did all of last year. (5)

South Side
05-11-2005, 09:55 PM
In general I agree with the grades and still remain hopeful that players with a "D" mark will redeem themselves as the season goes along. However the only thing I would care to disagree with is the claim about Podsednik. I just don't see him being a power guy. I see him more as a "1-Dog" Lance Johnson center fielder singles, walks and speed. I think Pods has the potential to be a well respected stolen base man before his career is over. Awesome thread. :cool:

That's where he got into trouble last year, he was up there looking for home runs when he isn't a home run hitter. We don't need power out of Pods. A few more singles and some doubles would be nice. He's doing a great job.

Frater Perdurabo
05-11-2005, 10:00 PM
I don't care about the running, but I do want #4 and #5 guys who walk. That's why I liked the move of Thomas to #4 last year.

Upon his return, I think Frank fits best at #3 hitter after Pods and Iguchi. That will be one of the most dynamic 1-2-3 combos the Sox have had in many years.

A. Cavatica
05-11-2005, 10:02 PM
However the only thing I would care to disagree with is the claim about Podsednik. I just don't see him being a power guy. I see him more as a "1-Dog" Lance Johnson center fielder singles, walks and speed.

Well, Pods could well be a better leadoff hitter than Johnson. One Dog had an unimpressive career .334 OBP (Pods' is .345) and .386 SA (Pods' is .391).

The reason I only gave Pods a B+ -- which is still a good grade -- is that his slugging percentage this year is .273. That's even below the Harris line.

Frater Perdurabo
05-11-2005, 10:02 PM
In 7 starts, El Duque has as many wins as the Sox's 5th starters did all of last year. (5)

EXCELLENT POINT!

Frater Perdurabo
05-11-2005, 10:05 PM
Well, Pods could well be a better leadoff hitter than Johnson. One Dog had an unimpressive career .334 OBP (Pods' is .345) and .386 SA (Pods' is .391).

The reason I only gave Pods a B+ -- which is still a good grade -- is that his slugging percentage this year is .273. That's even below the Harris line.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the importance of SLG% for a leadoff hitter. A great deal of Pods value is not necessarily quantifiable, particularly his ability to rattle pitchers and cause them to make mistake pitches. It's been a big part of Iguchi's success and I can't wait to see Frank cream mistakes 15 rows deep into the bleachers.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-11-2005, 10:07 PM
Sure, but Cooper called them last year, too, with different results. Something sure as heck changed. Unless one has evidence to the contrary, one has to assume that the catchers on a team with a 3.20 ERA are doing something right.

Actually I would be inclined to give the credit to the pitchers since I've never known a pitcher to deliberately suck on the mound.
:cool:

If anything has changed for the better since 2004, it's not having Scott Schoenweis, Danny Wright, and Jason Grilli pretending to be major league starting pitchers.

CHISOXFAN13
05-11-2005, 10:07 PM
Perhaps, but Hollins quadrupling his SB total in one game is unacceptable. It seems that half the attempts don't even draw a throw.

Guys like Contreras and El Duque need to do a better job of holding runners on. Not many guys would have thrown Hollins out today with the jumps he was getting.

Daver
05-11-2005, 10:09 PM

Yeah, they are relaying the pitches Don signals in, and the pitchers are under instruction to listen, in order to make the game pace quicker.

Ol' No. 2
05-11-2005, 10:14 PM
I agree that the OBP is good. But the leadoff hitter is only guaranteed to lead off the first inning, so slugging percentage is still relevant, and his is too low even for a leadoff hitter.Whether he leads off or not is irrelevant. The job of the #1 and #2 hitters is to get on and get into scoring position to be driven in by the 3-4-5 hitters. I don't care if Podsednik EVER hits a HR. A walk is as good as a hit and a hit+SB is as good as a double. Better, in fact, because the threat will tend to cause the pitcher to give the batter much better pitches to hit.

Daver
05-11-2005, 10:19 PM
Actually I would be inclined to give the credit to the pitchers since I've never known a pitcher to deliberately suck on the mound.

:valet

Oh yeah?

A. Cavatica
05-11-2005, 10:24 PM
Whether he leads off or not is irrelevant. The job of the #1 and #2 hitters is to get on and get into scoring position to be driven in by the 3-4-5 hitters. I don't care if Podsednik EVER hits a HR. A walk is as good as a hit and a hit+SB is as good as a double. Better, in fact, because the threat will tend to cause the pitcher to give the batter much better pitches to hit.

That's just too simplistic. Leading off an inning, a walk IS as good as a hit, and a walk/hit plus a stolen base IS as good as a double. But with two outs and a runner on second, the hit is more valuable.

gobears1987
05-11-2005, 10:36 PM
If anything has changed for the better since 2004, it's not having Scott Schoenweis, Danny Wright, and Jason Grilli pretending to be major league starting pitchers.
Not to mention Felix Diaz, Jon Adkins, Arnie Munoz, and Jon Rauch.

Flames24Rulz
05-11-2005, 10:43 PM
Not to mention Felix Diaz, Jon Adkins, Arnie Munoz, and Jon Rauch.

ugh that was murder :angry:

A. Cavatica
05-11-2005, 11:14 PM
Oh, I forgot Ozuna. Give him an A-.

Palehose13
05-11-2005, 11:32 PM

He's not already? It sure looks like he rattles the heck out of pitchers when he is on base.

batmanZoSo
05-12-2005, 12:24 AM
Dye F. He's killed us, plain and simple. He needs to get going.
Hermanson A. He's the best reliever we have.
Contreras B-/C+. He's got the best arm on the staff, but he's been too wild. I hold him to a higher standard than others. Not bad though. Still has a great ERA, but tinkering and walks have hurt him.
Hernandez B+. He's done a great job without huge expectations. Can't ask for a better 4th starter.
Ozuna A. He's done good whenever he's been brought in to play.
Vizcaino C. Started off shaky and is very shaky now, but in between he was pretty dependable. Overall, he's been so-so.
Podsednik B. Awesome with walks, steals and sparkplugging the offense. But he isn't hitting the ball hard at all. He needs to get more hits and not lose out on walks because of it.
Iguchi A+. He might be the MVP of the offense so far. He's a big reason why we are where we are.
Widger A. It seems like he's helped us win or done something good every time he's played.
Pierzynski D. If he doesn't hit .285+ and drive in runs he's not worth anything. He doesn't bring much to the table defensively. The only reason I don't give him an F is because he hasn't killed us offensively like Dye has. He just hasn't been productive.

soxfan43
05-15-2005, 10:33 PM
I'd have to agree with most of that. I think Vizcaino will befine, just adjusting to the new league. I'm very worried about Dye though, he's playing terrible. Love the Pods acquistion, but what's his conctract status for next year and beyond?

flo-B-flo
05-15-2005, 10:58 PM
The whole team - A+.

SluggersAway
05-15-2005, 11:08 PM
Zoso, you'd think we were in the bottom of the standings with those grades. Are you grading with the upper limits of their potential in mind or unrealistic dreams of all-stardom for every member of the Sox? KW didn't sign every guy to be a phenom the likes that Barry Bonds and A-Rod have never seen. Given what these guys were signed with the intentions of doing quite a few of them on your list have greatly exceeded expectations.

flo-B-flo
05-15-2005, 11:11 PM
Whether he leads off or not is irrelevant. The job of the #1 and #2 hitters is to get on and get into scoring position to be driven in by the 3-4-5 hitters. I don't care if Podsednik EVER hits a HR. A walk is as good as a hit and a hit+SB is as good as a double. Better, in fact, because the threat will tend to cause the pitcher to give the batter much better pitches to hit. This is about what my baseball philosophy is. Call it what you will but, a bunch of low strikeout - base hitters can get it done.

Jurr
05-16-2005, 08:08 AM
Dye F. He's killed us, plain and simple. He needs to get going.
Hermanson A. He's the best reliever we have.
Contreras B-/C+. He's got the best arm on the staff, but he's been too wild. I hold him to a higher standard than others. Not bad though. Still has a great ERA, but tinkering and walks have hurt him.
Hernandez B+. He's done a great job without huge expectations. Can't ask for a better 4th starter.
Ozuna A. He's done good whenever he's been brought in to play.
Vizcaino C. Started off shaky and is very shaky now, but in between he was pretty dependable. Overall, he's been so-so.
Podsednik B. Awesome with walks, steals and sparkplugging the offense. But he isn't hitting the ball hard at all. He needs to get more hits and not lose out on walks because of it.
Iguchi A+. He might be the MVP of the offense so far. He's a big reason why we are where we are.
Widger A. It seems like he's helped us win or done something good every time he's played.
Pierzynski D. If he doesn't hit .285+ and drive in runs he's not worth anything. He doesn't bring much to the table defensively. The only reason I don't give him an F is because he hasn't killed us offensively like Dye has. He just hasn't been productive.
Pierzynski is definitely not a D. He's calling great games, he's just now starting to heat up offensively, and he's got a great hard-nosed presence to harden up a perenially soft Sox team. Here's a good example of his contributions....game one of this series against Baltimore. He hits a bomb and yells at Garland to turn around and throw out Fiorentino at home. That was a HUGE out. Little things like that make AJ a great addition. His hitting is going to come around. Some of the intangible things he's done make him at least a B- so far.
People talk about Dye like he's been absolute garbage. He hasn't hit for average, but he never does early on in the season. Dye has come through in games for the team, as evidenced by his homer against Cleveland. He has made a couple of dumb errors, but his defense has been strong overall. He's got great range. Dye's not going to bat .300 this year...we all know that. However, I honestly see him heating up when the weather accommodates, and he'll probably be good for 25 homers and 80 RBI. He hasn't been anywhere close to great, but Dye hasn't been an out and out failure. Last time I checked, his team was 1st in the AL.

tebman
05-16-2005, 01:55 PM
No doubt about that. I watch Iguchi and I keep having flashbacks to Nellie Fox. Tough out, ultra-reliable fielder, fundamentally solid. Just a smart, smart ballplayer who makes his whole team better.

Excellent pickup by KW. Wish we had 20 more like him in the minors.