PDA

View Full Version : Ticket Vendors outside the Cell

HomeFish
05-11-2005, 07:20 PM
Everyone has seen the ticket sellers right outside the Red Line, and their ilk on 35th street west of the train tracks. I've never actually interacted with them, because I am naturally suspicious of somebody trying to sell tickets to a game that isn't sold out. I've always assumed it was a scam targetted at outsiders more used to having to buy from scalpers because their experience is with teams that sell out most games.

The question I have is, what exactly are they selling? Are the seats they sell better than what you can get at the box office, or are they somehow cheaper? Does anyone here actually buy from them?

Or is it really the rip-off I suspect?

mr_genius
05-11-2005, 07:55 PM
don't know... never bought tickets from em

i would guess they're fake tickets or just slightly below face value

Foulke You
05-11-2005, 08:01 PM
I have sold tickets to those guys before if I had any extras. A lot of them will try to buy tickets that people have extras of for face value or below and then sell them at a profit. Sometimes they have good seats too. Make sure you examine the tickets closely if you choose to buy them to make sure they are real and are seats next to each other since they do buy a lot of people's extras. I believe most of those guys are selling legit tickets and just trying to make some money but I'm betting there are some scammers out there. It is caveat emptor when you buy on 35th st.

Also, if you show any interest in one of the sellers, be prepared to be surrounded by 2 or 3 guys trying to peddle their tickets to you as well. It's happened to me when I've sold tix to them. I'll say to one guy "yeah, I have an extra" and they'll all swarm you making offers. It is very competitive, LOL.:cool:

TBlock29
05-11-2005, 08:21 PM
Always examine the tickets closely. I have bought tickets from people trying to sell tickets and to my suprise there were always good. I am a die hard sox fan. If I go to a game and need tickets I always see what tose guys got. And you also can get them down in price...They will sell me two tickets for $25.00 each and I will pull out $40.00 and say thats all I got. 9/10 times itm works trust me.

GO SOXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

cubsuck
05-11-2005, 08:23 PM
Always examine the tickets closely. I have bought tickets from people trying to sell tickets and to my suprise there were always good. I am a die hard sox fan. If I go to a game and need tickets I always see what tose guys got. And you also can get them down in price...They will sell me two tickets for $25.00 each and I will pull out $40.00 and say thats all I got. 9/10 times itm works trust me.

That's a GRRREAT tip man! Most people are honest anyways...

Sick Deals! :)

GO SOXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX is right!

BRDSR
05-11-2005, 08:28 PM
I've had numerous experiences with those guys off the red line, some of them good and some of them bad. They ripped off a friend from out of town once. They'll actually play it so that the cop is close, so that the ticket seller or buyer gets nervous, make the transaction REALLY fast, and then you'll find out you have one less ticket than expected or a couple less $20s. I've also seen fake tickets being sold, but they were really easy to tell that they were fake. Even someone who'd never seen a Sox ticket would be stupid to buy them.

On the other hand I've had some good experiences and gotten some great seats at a discounted price. My theory is this: Assume they're going to rip you off. If you get ripped off, its your fault. If you can get a good deal, than thats great.

cheeses_h_rice
05-11-2005, 08:34 PM
The only thing that now gives me pause before buying from the guys on the street is the fact that tickets are no longer torn when you enter the park, since the Cell now uses that ubiquitous bar code scanning system, so it's possible for someone to enter the park and slip their ticket out to someone outside the park, where they could resell it. This would probably be a lot easier for individual seats rather than pairs, but hey, anything's possible.

I've only bought from street guys twice, and one time I headed down spur of the moment on a beautiful day and ended up with excellent Club-level seats for less than face, because I knew the game had already started and it was going to be far from a sellout.

kevingrt
05-11-2005, 08:35 PM

Nice manuveur, whatever works best!:cool:

soxwon
05-11-2005, 08:37 PM
late last season- my brother in law had an extra ticket a box seat- he was approached by a few BUYERS/SELLERS, he sold the ticket for $20
later we found out it was a fake $20 bill

so be aware of these scamers.

C-Dawg
05-11-2005, 09:22 PM
The only time I ever sat in the 300 level, I sat next to a guy and his kid who bought from the guys on 35th street - and paid something like $20 apeice for them, or approx. half what I paid. Tickets were real; he showed them to me.

ilsox7
05-11-2005, 09:24 PM
When I lived in Cleveland, street sellers were a big thing. Sometimes when the company gave us 4 tix and only 2 of us went, we sold the xtra 2 for some beer/food money. We also would sell all four and upgrade buying 2 better tix. Never had a problem. As always, if you use common sense, you'll be fine.

I_Liked_Manuel
05-11-2005, 10:30 PM
i've always found that you'll get a better deal from the guys on 35th on the west side of the park under the train tracks

DumpJerry
05-11-2005, 10:47 PM
One tip off to a fake ticket is the bar code. If it is at all sloppy or blurred, don't buy it. It's a fake. This happened at a Super Bowl recently.

ewokpelts
05-12-2005, 09:36 AM
i have bought and sold to them(and sold tix to fans myself)....i never give in to thier demands, i'd rather lose cash dumping them to a fan than dump to street scum....

Gene

mweflen
05-12-2005, 09:47 AM
Gene knows the score. I've sold probably 100 tickets in the past 5 years, and I would estimate 5 or 6 of them total went to the scalpers. Always look for a fan who is unloading extras before going to the scalpers. (I won't offer many tips on how to differentiate them - it should be pretty apparent just by attitude... i.e. if they are buying as well as selling)

I always unload my extras for about half to 2/3 of face value, and I always try to give them to a fellow fan.

A word on cops: never buy from or sell to anyone with a walkie-talkie on their belt! They have "stealth" buyers/sellers out there to try to catch people.

skottyj242
05-12-2005, 09:53 AM
I usually sell those guys tickets if I have extra's that I didn't pay for for some extra beer money. If you're buying from them as is common sense be careful, what I do when I'm a buyer is if the game's at 7:05 talk to them at like 7:10 or 7:15, once the game has started and they think they're going to have to eat tickets they'll practically give them away. If you buy tix from these guys check the price of the ticket too, I know on Sunday's I've bought one dollar kids tickets for like fifteen bucks, once I bout a comped ticket for I think twenty bucks.

nlentz88
05-12-2005, 10:04 AM
Does anyone know what the law is about buying/selling tickets? I always figured scalping was illegal, and I couldn't figure out why all those scalpers near the Red Line were trying to buy/sell right in front of the cops. What's the deal? Is it illegal to buy or sell tickets on the street? If it's legal, then why are cops trying to implement scalping stings like mweflen suggests? If it's illegal, then why do the scalpers do business right in front of the cops?

STOOPHEY
05-12-2005, 10:10 AM
If you hold the lit end of a smoke close to a regular printed ticket it will start to turn black. Has to do with the ink. If it does not it is fake. Try a couple on old stubs.

This works for tickets to all games as I generally by bears tickets from scalpers and have twice caught fakes this way.

:smile:

cubsuck
05-12-2005, 10:16 AM
If you hold the lit end of a smoke close to a regular printed ticket it will start to turn black. Has to do with the ink. If it does not it is fake. Try a couple on old stubs.

This works for tickets to all games as I generally by bears tickets from scalpers and have twice caught fakes this way.

:smile:

Good work STOOPHEY!!!

All Ticketmaster print stock is heat sensitive...so, that theory should hold up. It should also go without saying...DON'T leave your tickets in the sun...or you'll just have two BLACK BOOKMARKS left!!!

STOOPHEY
05-12-2005, 10:19 AM
They dont just turn black from the black/silver ink for sox games either. Last year bears tickets were yellow and red and still turned black. Glad I could help as I read this site every day and have never posted. Do tell all about the trick.

Im sure ive run into some of the people from this site as im usually at 20-40 games per year cruising the concourse.:D:

mweflen
05-12-2005, 10:24 AM
Does anyone know what the law is about buying/selling tickets? I always figured scalping was illegal, and I couldn't figure out why all those scalpers near the Red Line were trying to buy/sell right in front of the cops. What's the deal? Is it illegal to buy or sell tickets on the street? If it's legal, then why are cops trying to implement scalping stings like mweflen suggests? If it's illegal, then why do the scalpers do business right in front of the cops?

Oh, I'm not just suggesting it, I witnessed it first hand.

From talking with some security guys, it seems like they really dislike the repeat offenders, but don't care much about nickel and dime one-timers. They frown heavily upon selling for over face value, and actually the thing they're most worried about is people selling parking passes. I think they try to play it off like it's an official police action when they stop someone from selling, but in fact they are only enforcing park policy.

My understanding of the law:

Resale of any event ticket in Illinois for over face value is illegal (which doesn't explain why the Cubs are allowed to do it as a matter of policy...). Resale for under face value on Comiskey Park Property is not illegal, but it is prohibited by park policy. Based on the standard "we reserve the right to refuse service" clause, they have the leeway to deny entry to the park or confiscate the tickets of anyone violating this policy.

The text on the ticket: "This ticket must not be resold or offered for resale in a manner or at a price in violation of any federal, state or local law or regulation. The license granted by this may be terminated upon breach of: (a) the preceding or (b) the U.S. Cellular Field rules and regulations, and may also be terminated by tendering the face value of this ticket to the ticket holder."

(italics are mine, btw)

ChicagoHoosier
05-12-2005, 10:32 AM
This is a great thread, because I'm sure it's on many people's mind and there have been good answers.

I recently got a season ticket, lower box, for 2/3 face value before the game started. Same theory as others... I wasn't desperate, but was planning on buying an outfield seat, so when I offered him less and kept walking, he took my offer.

My only bad experience was in Cleveland on a rain delay game. I think lots of people left the park that day, so scalpers were selling tickets that has already been used, including to me. So, every time my ticket gets scanned now, I am always nervous it's not going to ring up correctly. I felt that way the other week when I bought. But as most people have said, if you're smart, you pay close attention to the ticket, and it's not a rain delay or obviously opportunity for a ticket to be resold, it seems fairly safe.

I love the guys who post on here saying they only sell to other fans and less than face value. That's what it's all about!

mweflen
05-12-2005, 11:01 AM
Speaking of reselling tix, I have put one up for sale in the Parking Lot.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=686926#post686926

wildcat
05-12-2005, 11:11 AM
From talking with some security guys, it seems like they really dislike the repeat offenders, but don't care much about nickel and dime one-timers. They frown heavily upon selling for over face value, and actually the thing they're most worried about is people selling parking passes. I think they try to play it off like it's an official police action when they stop someone from selling, but in fact they are only enforcing park policy.

I have been told by a security guy that they wouldn't care about a fan casually selling tickets outside the stadium (but parking passes are a big no-no because "those are for privileged season-ticket holders.") I think the security and cops can tell the difference between a fan trying to unload an extra ticket or two and repeat sellers. That said, it all makes me a little leery. Better to buy or sell online before the game if you can.

kittle42
05-12-2005, 11:15 AM
I have had one bad experience with this, the rest have been fine.

The bad experience, though, really stunk. I was going to a game against two years ago. The lower deck, for whatever reason, was practically sold out. I did not have tickets so I figured I'd try to get some from one of these guys. He sold me two box seats at just over face. I was fine with that, because they were excellent seats. When I got to the gate, they scanned them and told me they had been reported stolen. There wasn't much I could do except go back out front and buy two tickets to the game.

However, I did use my own personal favorite "semi-scam" - I used the stolen downstairs ticket stubs to get in on the concourse level and watched the game from the fan deck. I've always disliked the 100/500 deck policy.

mweflen
05-12-2005, 11:21 AM
Miller Park has a designated area outside the park for reselling tickets, as long as it's for face or lower.

I think that's pretty darned cool. Fan friendly, too.

Sox of White
05-12-2005, 11:39 AM
Miller Park has a designated area outside the park for reselling tickets, as long as it's for face or lower.

Wow, that is pretty darned cool.

maurice
05-12-2005, 01:51 PM
You can get some pretty good deals if you're running late for the game. By that time, the scalpers who bought too many extras start getting desperate and prices drop to well below face.

street scum

:?:

Fenway
05-12-2005, 02:02 PM
I have seen the guys at 35th St selling season tickets as good as the 300 level.

The major problem buying from ANYONE outside the ticket office is the possibilty exists that the ticket has already been scanned for entry into the park, and there is no way of knowing if this has happened.

That has been a major headache at Fenway and the Fleet Center

petekat
05-12-2005, 02:11 PM
Camden yards was one of the first parks to institute that- consequently you can ALWAYS find a great deal on tickets there- just run the gauntlet (all sellers have to stand behind a rope) and you immediately have about nine or ten sellers - all fans- competing for your attention. The great thing about such a system- it takes the scalpers out of the process. Why buy/overpay to a scalper if you can help out another fan?

Goose
05-12-2005, 02:38 PM
I am not sure what your exact intent on this thread's question is, but if it is to get tickets to a game while at the park and don't like what is sold at the booth, my first suggestion is to walk through the parking lots and look for FANS. There are people tailgating and I usually just walk up to people asking who has any extras. 80% of the time, you can find someone who's buddy did not show up or that are holding extras because they are more concerned with tailgating rather then selling tickets. I have had some really nice people actually just give me their extra box seat tickets (of course, I always by them a few rounds of beers on the inside...after all, that would be the right thing to do!). Worse come to worst, usually you can have a beer with some of the tailgaters and go look for tickets closer to game time...

mweflen
05-12-2005, 02:41 PM
Now that the Fan Shower is gone, anyone notice that the only Vestige of Old Comiskey remaining is the sign on the tree that says "Resale Of Tickets at Any Price Prohibited" ?

Way to play up the fan-friendly image!

cheeses_h_rice
05-12-2005, 02:42 PM

This is something I would love to see the Sox do. From the perspective of a newbie coming to our park for the first time, it is probably a bit annoying or even intimidating having to run the gauntlet of aggressive dudes hustling tickets from the moment you step foot onto 35th Street from the Red Line or even from the parking lots. By having a designated area and rules for selling at cost or below, you take some of the legal nebulousness out of the equation and make it feel safer all around, since you're going to be eliminating the hardcore scammer/criminal element.

Brooks, you listening?

mweflen
05-12-2005, 02:47 PM
Personally, I think the Sox ought to emulate Symphonies and Operas - take back unused tickets within a designated time period (say up to 1 hour before game time) and give people vouchers for a future game in the UD. That way, you open up the seats for resale on a "Rush" basis (essentially getting paid for them twice if they can resell them), and you get people back in the park for a future game, thus reaping more revenue from otherwise unsold seats.

I heartily agree with regards to the "gauntlet." I've been going to 30 games a year for several years, and sometimes those guys getting in my face still unnerves me.

Fenway
05-12-2005, 02:48 PM
remember the mighty tree will be watching

http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/mi/11893985_43084393_0.jpeg?inviteToken=6ERr48JjP5at8 UtY80Nk&limitsize=125,125&outquality=90&squareoutput=255,255,255&ext=.jpg

wildcat
05-12-2005, 02:55 PM
From the perspective of a newbie coming to our park for the first time, it is probably a bit annoying or even intimidating having to run the gauntlet of aggressive dudes hustling tickets from the moment you step foot onto 35th Street from the Red Line or even from the parking lots. By having a designated area and rules for selling at cost or below, you take some of the legal nebulousness out of the equation and make it feel safer all around, since you're going to be eliminating the hardcore scammer/criminal element.

That would be terrific. I'm a female who often arrives at games alone by el, and I hate that walk. I live and work in not-so-great neighborhoods, and I regularly take public transportation and walk alone, but even so I'm a bit intimidated by the scalpers. However, I don't think those are the people who are likely to go to a designated area to sell because they're probably not operating legally, so it might not solve that problem to have a ticket-selling area.

cheeses_h_rice
05-12-2005, 02:59 PM
That would be terrific. I'm a female who often arrives at games alone by el, and I hate that walk. I live and work in not-so-great neighborhoods, and I regularly take public transportation and walk alone, but even so I'm a bit intimidated by the scalpers. However, I don't think those are the people who are likely to go to a designated area to sell because they're probably not operating legally, so it might not solve that problem to have a ticket-selling area.

The Sox could easily work with the police to shut down any selling on 35th between the Ryan and the park. Right now the police seem to mostly tolerate it but I'm sure that could be changed.

batmanZoSo
05-12-2005, 02:59 PM
What's up with those guys on 33rd and Wallace (or whatever street that is right next to the Dan Ryan) with signs saying they "need tickets?" Is that just code for "I have tickets?"

cheeses_h_rice
05-12-2005, 03:05 PM
What's up with those guys on 33rd and Wallace (or whatever street that is right next to the Dan Ryan) with signs saying they "need tickets?" Is that just code for "I have tickets?"

From my experience, pretty much everyone saying anything about wanting tickets is actually trying to sell them, but just trying to appear like they're interested in buying them to not get busted. I guess it's possible that they might want to buy tickets, but for the expressed purpose of reselling them at a profit.

Fenway
05-12-2005, 03:06 PM

they hoping somebody gives them tickets for face or less ( hopefully nothing ) that they can in turn sell to people coming off the el

Charno
05-12-2005, 03:06 PM
Everyone has seen the ticket sellers right outside the Red Line, and their ilk on 35th street west of the train tracks. I've never actually interacted with them, because I am naturally suspicious of somebody trying to sell tickets to a game that isn't sold out. I've always assumed it was a scam targetted at outsiders more used to having to buy from scalpers because their experience is with teams that sell out most games.

The question I have is, what exactly are they selling? Are the seats they sell better than what you can get at the box office, or are they somehow cheaper? Does anyone here actually buy from them?

Or is it really the rip-off I suspect?
You have such a lack of trust in free market mechanisms. Remember the time we saw a scalper refund someone their money?

mweflen
05-12-2005, 03:07 PM
The Sox could easily work with the police to shut down any selling on 35th between the Ryan and the park. Right now the police seem to mostly tolerate it but I'm sure that could be changed.

It seems to change game by game, actually. Some days, it's deserted, usually on higher attendance days, where they must be "cracking down." Then other days, you'll have 50 guys up in your you-know-what yelling "box seats, box seats..."

Who calls them "box seats" anymore? Those bums should go back to the north side.

batmanZoSo
05-12-2005, 03:08 PM
From my experience, pretty much everyone saying anything about wanting tickets is actually trying to sell them, but just trying to appear like they're interested in buying them to not get busted. I guess it's possible that they might want to buy tickets, but for the expressed purpose of reselling them at a profit.

Oh my god. Good luck finding someone to pay over face value for an event that's half-full. They were out there when I went to the Mariner game we lost this year and the attendance was around 22,000.

Fenway
05-12-2005, 03:09 PM
You have such a lack of trust in free market mechanisms. Remember the time we saw a scalper refund someone their money?

say what?

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:LGo6xUkCvLMJ:bahua.fluxcapacitor.net/big/boston4th/035scalpingnotice.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://bahua.fluxcapacitor.net/big/boston4th/035scalpingnotice.jpg&imgrefurl=http://bahua.com/htpics/boston4th/&h=1704&w=2272&sz=1193&tbnid=LGo6xUkCvLMJ:&tbnh=112&tbnw=149&hl=en&start=2&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dscalpers%2Bboston%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D)h ttp://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper87/stills/vzbnb5w8.jpg

mweflen
05-12-2005, 03:09 PM
Oh my god. Good luck finding someone to pay over face value for an event that's half-full. They were out there when I went to the Mariner game we lost this year and the attendance was around 22,000.

They only buy for about 10% of face, then sell tham at 50% of face (or higher if they pluck a nice ripe sucker).

cheeses_h_rice
05-12-2005, 03:13 PM
Who calls them "box seats" anymore? Those bums should go back to the north side.

Uh, I still call them box seats. :redface:

Isn't that what they're advertised as?

:dunno:

mweflen
05-12-2005, 03:29 PM
Uh, I still call them box seats. :redface:

Isn't that what they're advertised as?

:dunno:

I could understand it if they were in railed boxes like some older parks still have.

I guess they still do call them Lower Box, Lower Reserved, etc. Seems kinda silly :smile:

cheeses_h_rice
05-12-2005, 03:35 PM
I could understand it if they were in railed boxes like some older parks still have.

I guess they still do call them Lower Box, Lower Reserved, etc. Seems kinda silly :smile:

With or without railed boxes around them, the phrase "box seats" has become synonymous with the best, closest seats to the field. Hell, even parts of the UD at the Cell are called box seats, which I think is an abuse of the term.

But to get back to our point, you think those guys peddling tickets care about disinctions between Lower Box, Lower Reserved, etc.? If the section has a "1" in front of it, I'm sure they're all advertised as box seats.

mweflen
05-12-2005, 03:43 PM
With or without railed boxes around them, the phrase "box seats" has become synonymous with the best, closest seats to the field. Hell, even parts of the UD at the Cell are called box seats, which I think is an abuse of the term.

But to get back to our point, you think those guys peddling tickets care about disinctions between Lower Box, Lower Reserved, etc.? If the section has a "1" in front of it, I'm sure they're all advertised as box seats.

VERY true. It's kind of like a real estate agent saying "West Lakeview" or something. You should always check if you buy from a scalper.

Incidentally, I usually whip out my trusty wallet schedule to show a potential buyer of my extras where they are.

row18
05-12-2005, 11:30 PM
Just a comment, as I walked pass a "seller" I noticed he had season tickets with Garcia's pic for the day's game, but the valid ticket should have Shingo's photo.

Maybe someone can correct me, but I thought all the photos on the ST are consistent for each game.

ewokpelts
05-13-2005, 12:16 AM
Just a comment, as I walked pass a "seller" I noticed he had season tickets with Garcia's pic for the day's game, but the valid ticket should have Shingo's photo.

Maybe someone can correct me, but I thought all the photos on the ST are consistent for each game.
no.....they ar enot...some guys had ozzie on thier tix for today's game...depends on your plan..
Gene

mweflen
05-13-2005, 10:07 AM
yeah, the dates just get printed on reams of unperforated tickets. depending on the size of your plan, any ticket could have any picture.

tacosalbarojas
05-13-2005, 01:07 PM
Great thread! Very interesting information about scalping and the guys we all see around the park on game day.

Fenway
05-13-2005, 02:51 PM
2:50 PM

At 2:30 I was offered 2 boxes for $250 and I have seen the guy working in New York and Boston

You have made the big time :?: