PDA

View Full Version : Big Hurt snubs...

mike squires
05-11-2005, 06:53 PM
My brother. My brother traveled to Tampa from Panama City (6 hours) and had a hell of a time. He got plenty of obligating Whitesox players inclduing Garcia, Garland, Hernandez, A.J and several others including Shingo for me. Today he was hanging around and noticed Frank come off the bus. He requested an autograph. Frank did respond. He asked politely again and he kind of waved him off with his hand. He then said, "Ah, Frank I drove 6 hours to see you. Frank didn't even acknowledge him. Chris said he was the only one around and would have only had to have signed one autograph. I can understand if his ankle was bothering him or something. Who knows. Chris also said it looked like he was stretching it out a little bit.

Chris also got Dickie V's autograph who of course takes in many games there. Said he had a great time.

Anyone else heard stories like this of Frank? I know he's probably focused on getting back to health again but come on, one autograph?

maurice
05-11-2005, 06:56 PM
Anyone else heard stories like this of Frank?

No. Frank probably has signed more autographs during his career than any other Sox player. In my experience, he's very pleasant also.

soxwon
05-11-2005, 06:59 PM
No. Frank probably has signed more autographs during his career than any other Sox player. In my experience, he's very pleasant also.

i agree, ive had franks autograph numerous times.
Id say just leave the Big Guy alone till he plays.
Let him concentrate on his injury.

Dibbs
05-11-2005, 07:00 PM
I know for a fact Frank signs as much as any player. Can't make everyone happy...

Pulaski
05-11-2005, 07:02 PM
My brother. My brother traveled to Tampa from Panama City (6 hours) and had a hell of a time. He got plenty of obligating Whitesox players inclduing Garcia, Garland, Hernandez, A.J and several others including Shingo for me. Today he was hanging around and noticed Frank come off the bus. He requested an autograph. Frank did respond. He asked politely again and he kind of waved him off with his hand. He then said, "Ah, Frank I drove 6 hours to see you. Frank didn't even acknowledge him. Chris said he was the only one around and would have only had to have signed one autograph. I can understand if his ankle was bothering him or something. Who knows. Chris also said it looked like he was stretching it out a little bit.

Chris also got Dickie V's autograph who of course takes in many games there. Said he had a great time.

Anyone else heard stories like this of Frank? I know he's probably focused on getting back to health again but come on, one autograph?

He bought me a beer at the Hunt Club. I tried to buy him a shot, but he wouldn't do it. They were playing a game the next day.

TornLabrum
05-11-2005, 07:45 PM
A few years ago Frank and his party sat down at the table next to where my son was sitting at Hooters in Downers Grove. Not only did he autograph a menu, but he also posed for a couple of pictures. Maybe he was in a hurry in FL.

Remember, if he stops for one autograph, there is no telling how many people will gather around as he's signing, begging, "Just one more."

NorthlakeTom
05-11-2005, 08:00 PM
I wouldn't read anything into it. As many have pointed out, Frank is more than generous.

It may be something as simple as him having a bad day or being in a bad mood. Happens to everyone.

NonetheLoaiza
05-11-2005, 08:27 PM
Frank has always been extremely accomodating whenever I approached him. A couple of years ago, about 5, I asked him for a broken bat, if he had one. He said he didn't have a broken one, but reached in the dugout and gave me one of his bats. My friend was with me, and was admiring out loud how lucky I was, and Frank seeing that he was my friend reached back into the dugout and got one for him too. On many other occassions, he has been extremely polite to everyone around the dugout who asks him. It's gotta be hard to get everyone in though.

ondafarm
05-11-2005, 08:30 PM
. . . Frank probably has signed more autographs during his career than any other Sox player. In my experience, he's very pleasant also.

I had a tryout for the Chunichi Dragons organization at Dodger Stadium on the day that Frank Thomas was shooting his scene for Mr. Baseball. He never faces the camera but he hits quite a few balls over the wall. After my tryout I got to shag flies that didn't quite make it that far. I kind of got into it and made several attempts at over the wall or up the wall.

After his cuts and some chatting around the cage, Frank was walking off the field as I was approaching the dugout from the field. He actually asked if I'd tried out for outfield and complimented me on one particular catch I'd made. As we got to the lip of the dugout someone called him asking for an autograph. He walked over promptly, signalled for me to do the same and signed without any prompting and then handed me the pen. The fan looked a little non-plussed, but handed me the autograph book. I signed on the same page as Frank. We left the field and Frank told me '. . . always sign autographs; the fans are this game.' Just as we passed a doorway, Tommy Lasorda appeared. He complimented Frank on his hitting and then turned to me and said, "If the Dragons don't work out, you talk to us." I think you could have blown me over with a puff of a cigar. I stood there and mumbled something. I don't think I impressed Mr Lasorda with my intelligence though. He gave me a couple of pointers, which were all spot on and then when I turned around and Frank was gone.

Still kicking myself over this one. . .

FoulTerritory
05-11-2005, 08:47 PM
I had a tryout for the Chunichi Dragons organization at Dodger Stadium on the day that Frank Thomas was shooting his scene for Mr. Baseball. He never faces the camera but he hits quite a few balls over the wall. After my tryout I got to shag flies that didn't quite make it that far. I kind of got into it and made several attempts at over the wall or up the wall.

After his cuts and some chatting around the cage, Frank was walking off the field as I was approaching the dugout from the field. He actually asked if I'd tried out for outfield and complimented me on one particular catch I'd made. As we got to the lip of the dugout someone called him asking for an autograph. He walked over promptly, signalled for me to do the same and signed without any prompting and then handed me the pen. The fan looked a little non-plussed, but handed me the autograph book. I signed on the same page as Frank. We left the field and Frank told me '. . . always sign autographs; the fans are this game.' Just as we passed a doorway, Tommy Lasorda appeared. He complimented Frank on his hitting and then turned to me and said, "If the Dragons don't work out, you talk to us." I think you could have blown me over with a puff of a cigar. I stood there and mumbled something. I don't think I impressed Mr Lasorda with my intelligence though. He gave me a couple of pointers, which were all spot on and then when I turned around and Frank was gone.

Still kicking myself over this one. . .

Wow, that is a great story. Thanks for sharing it!

kevingrt
05-11-2005, 08:53 PM

We were leaving SoxFest in I believe '94 and I was about eight and Frank was awesome. I saw him with a girl, his wife?, and he gladly signed my White Sox t-shirt and posed for a photo. Very cool and huge guy. Plus, it was much better then waiting in those humongus lines.

shaunburnette
05-11-2005, 08:57 PM
I was at the Tuesday night game when the Sox were in Oakland earlier this year. Yes you should remember, it was the start of their 3 game losing streak :whiner:. Anyways, Frank was launching balls into the left field seats during batting practice and after the team went into the clubhouse before the game, Frank stayed outside of the clubhouse and stood right in front of me signing autographs for about 30 minutes. I was impressed. Class Act.

mike squires
05-11-2005, 09:18 PM
Frank has always been nice to me. He signed two items for me during Spring Training and I've always heard he's a class act. Chris said he was the only one around. Must have been tired or something. I understand he must be focusing on getting back.

BRDSR
05-11-2005, 11:16 PM
Was at a spring training game down in Arizona maybe...4 or 5 years ago and my family traveled to the Rockie's complex to watch the Sox play 'em. After the game we go to a little shop area that they have on the concourse and when we come up we see Frank Thomas walking through the concourse. Of course, the first thing we noticed was a throng of people probably 6 or 7 deep surrounding him on all sides. It didn't take long to find him in the middle of it, as he towers 6-8 inches over everyone. I'm not sure where he was going or why he used the stadium's concourse to get there, but it took him foreeeeeeeeeever. He just walked very very slowly, picking out pens and memorabilia from the crowd and handing them back. I didn't get an autograph but it was awesome to see him that close up.

My boss and friend has a brother in law who played ball in the minor leagues and had a few stints in the majors(Derek Lee, but obviously not the Derek Lee who is a star for that other team) and he and Frank had been workout buddies and great friends for years. His brother in law got married and Frank came to the wedding and actually had about a 10 minute conversation with my boss about everything...baseball, marriage, everything. Said it was one of the coolest things ever, although he was a little uncomfortable because Frank was talking to him like a friend(or at least a wedding guest of a shared friend) and my boss couldn't get over the fact that he was a huge star.

I'm sure your brother caught him on a bad day. For all the bad press Frank gets I wish he'd get some press on all the cool things he does too. I for one will be very soured on Kenny Williams if it looks like he's trying to cause an early exit for Frank from the White Sox.

Rocklive99
05-12-2005, 12:14 AM
Have gotten a couple autos from him at the game, signed for everyone. Also the nicest Sox player I've ever met at SoxFest.

I also read a story on the Sox site about one of those Hall of Fame type exhibition games against Colorado or someone where Frank made sure every kid in line got an auto, signing for a while, but how these type of things never made it into the Chicago media

ondafarm
05-12-2005, 08:20 AM
Frank has always been nice to me. He signed two items for me during Spring Training and I've always heard he's a class act. Chris said he was the only one around. Must have been tired or something. I understand he must be focusing on getting back.

I have to say, when you are on the DL, it is a lot harder to deal with the fans. I knew a star Japanese player who went to New Zealand for his rehab time. NZ becuase nobody knows about baseball there and because the guy's favorite fan sport was rugby, it was like going to Mecca.

The Racehorse
05-12-2005, 08:38 AM
My take on 'public people' is to basically leave them alone, be it baseball players, actors, Henry Rollins... whoever. If circumstances quickly evolved into a conversation, then that'd be great. But that's something I don't actively seek out.

I guess if I accidentally stepped on their foot while exiting the subway or something, I'd say "hey it's ________" [after saying sorry, of course]... but in no way would I slobber all over myself and be loud.

I avoid [loud] people, let alone giving someone else that type of treatment.