PDA

View Full Version : hat question

chaerulez
05-11-2005, 05:55 PM
Does anyone make the classic cursive C Sox hat? And I mean a real fitted hat, because I've seen a trucker style cap of it, but I'm looking for a more authetic version.

Eddie Gaedel
05-11-2005, 05:57 PM
that hat is sold at grandstand. i saw it there last wknd.

cubsuck
05-11-2005, 05:58 PM
I know that Distant Replays carries them.

http://www.distantreplays.com/distant/product.asp?s%5Fid=0&dept%5Fid=3094&pf%5Fid=PAAAAAIOAIJKKFAF&sku=660

If you're in town...I'm sure The GRANDSTAND does as well.

Now go get one! :)

Nellie_Fox
05-12-2005, 12:08 AM
Does anyone make the classic cursive C Sox hat?What is "classic" about the Einhorn "e" hat? That was the worst hat the Sox have sported during my lifetime.

I_Liked_Manuel
05-12-2005, 12:13 AM
i'd have to disagree nellie

another hat question- is there any secret to breaking in a hat. my head has an odd shape i guess, but it seems that most hats i get, especially the fitted ones, puff out near the 'corners' on the front. is there any way to fix that?

pinwheels3530
05-12-2005, 12:32 AM
What is "classic" about the Einhorn "e" hat? That was the worst hat the Sox have sported during my lifetime.

I like that hat! I also like that uniforms that went with that hat. Frank Thomas wore that uniform & hat when he was a rookie.

Sox of White
05-12-2005, 12:38 AM
I like that hat! I also like that uniforms that went with that hat. Frank Thomas wore that uniform & hat when he was a rookie.

Awesome, that is a very interesting Frank trivia tidbit.

UofCSoxFan
05-12-2005, 12:39 AM
Mitchell and Ness makes it...it sells for like 30 bucks.

Interestingly, Carthage College in Kenosha uses the logo for their hats but their colors are red and black, instead of the red and navy.

TheOldRoman
05-12-2005, 12:54 AM

another hat question- is there any secret to breaking in a hat. my head has an odd shape i guess, but it seems that most hats i get, especially the fitted ones, puff out near the 'corners' on the front. is there any way to fix that?
No, all New Era hats are like that. For some reason they make all their hats with high profiles.

Jurr
05-12-2005, 12:59 AM

Depends on what type of hat you're dealing with. If you get more of the lower profile hats (like most you see at Lids or Hat World or anywhere else), you're not going to be dealing with all of that. If you're trying to work in a New Era hat, do the old baseball trick.

Take your new hat and bend the bill around a baseball. Take three or four rubber bands and wrap the bill around the ball, then let the hat sit for a day or so. Then, put it on and let it ride! Another way that a lot of ballplayers get the New Era hats to sit lower (see El Duque) is to get a hat that's a little snug and pull it way down. I don't have a ton of hair ( I get mine cut decently short), so I'm able to wear my New Era Sox hat like that. But, the breaking in with the baseball trick is a great one, and I recommend going that route.

DaleJRFan
05-12-2005, 01:09 AM
...is there any secret to breaking in a hat?

try wearing it.

DaleJRFan
05-12-2005, 01:10 AM
What is "classic" about the Einhorn "e" hat? That was the worst hat the Sox have sported during my lifetime.

I couldn't agree more. It's horrible. Thank God those things didn't last long.

sox7235
05-12-2005, 02:37 AM
I bought one in The HOF gift store at The Cell.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-12-2005, 06:52 AM

The Campbell's soup era, as my brothers and I used to call it. The maternity outfits from the late 70's ranked better than these uni's, IMO.

Baby Fisk
05-12-2005, 08:04 AM
I know that Distant Replays carries them.

http://www.distantreplays.com/distant/product.asp?s%5Fid=0&dept%5Fid=3094&pf%5Fid=PAAAAAIOAIJKKFAF&sku=660

That Distant Replays one is not authentic. The 87-91 hats never had those red eyelets.

pdimas
05-12-2005, 10:04 AM
I picked up one in the HOF store at the Cell. The hat'll run you about 30 bux and the fit is great. I always have trouble with fitted hats fitting me and I can honestly say that that hat has fit me the best so far.

skottyj242
05-12-2005, 10:15 AM
I bought one at Grandstand that's all blue but it's Flexfit and it fit's great. Interesting sidenote to this story, this morning I'm at the Damen stop waiting for the blue line, wearing that hat and my '84 warmup jacket listening to my iPod when someone taps me on the shoulder and asks me how could I wear a Sox jacket and a Cubs hat, especially on the north side. I just kind of turned away and didn't quantify it with a response.

NonetheLoaiza
05-12-2005, 10:19 AM

If you spray some water on the brim and crown of the hat, and wear it as it dries, it will form fit to your head. I've done it with all the fitted hate I own. You just have to make sure that you wear it as it dries, or it will just shrink.

ChicagoHoosier
05-12-2005, 10:21 AM
Take your new hat and bend the bill around a baseball. Take three or four rubber bands and wrap the bill around the ball, then let the hat sit for a day or so. Then, put it on and let it ride! Another way that a lot of ballplayers get the New Era hats to sit lower (see El Duque) is to get a hat that's a little snug and pull it way down. I don't have a ton of hair ( I get mine cut decently short), so I'm able to wear my New Era Sox hat like that. But, the breaking in with the baseball trick is a great one, and I recommend going that route.

This never seems to work for me. The bill ends up better, but that front part of the cap always is too stiff. I tried running over it with my car a few times and wearing it down, but then it looked more "broken" than worn.

So, I just don't by New Era hats anymore. But I want to find a few more classic hats, like 1917, but that are more form fitting.

skottyj242
05-12-2005, 10:37 AM
When I buy a new hat I take a shower with it on then wear it for the next couple of hours so as it dries it shrinks to the size and contours of your head.

I_Liked_Manuel
05-12-2005, 12:04 PM
try wearing it.

gee, i never thought of that. it's just been sitting on my shelf for the last year.

CPditka
05-12-2005, 12:12 PM
They actually have this at on Amazon, and its under 30 if I remember correctly.

Brian26
05-12-2005, 12:41 PM
No, all New Era hats are like that. For some reason they make all their hats with high profiles.

Check out the New Era website. You can actually purchase a "low profile" hat, similar to what most players wear on the field.

joe_tansey2004
05-12-2005, 12:55 PM
The Campbell's soup era, as my brothers and I used to call it. The maternity outfits from the late 70's ranked better than these uni's, IMO.

Thats what they call the hat. I went to Grandstands a few weeks ago and they called it the Campbell's Soup hat. I think it's a classic uniform. Everybody's into retro gear nowadays and thats one of the better Sox uniforms.

Nellie_Fox
05-12-2005, 01:21 PM
I think it's a classic uniform. Everybody's into retro gear nowadays and thats one of the better Sox uniforms.Seriously? Classic? It simply couldn't be more generic and bland.

It was just one in the run of bad uniforms that started after the Sox scrapped the red pinstripes. You got the floppy collar pajamas, followed by the softball uniforms, followed by the generic uniform (um, I have a team called the White Sox. Could you send me some off-the-shelf uniforms?). Finally they went back to the Old English logo with the current look and ended the run.

skottyj242
05-12-2005, 01:47 PM
I personally liked the uniforms in question, maybe it's just because of my age and that's when I started to really love and understand baseball. If I recall correctly wasn't that during the "Chicago's American Pastime"?

Sox Blue 69-70
05-12-2005, 02:06 PM
I personally liked the uniforms in question, maybe it's just because of my age and that's when I started to really love and understand baseball. If I recall correctly wasn't that during the "Chicago's American Pastime"?

That is one of my favorite Sox uniforms, too. Clean and simple, classic home white and road grey neatly done with no annoying frills or ridiculous color schemes. A major improvement on the previous two models (pajamas & beer-league shirts).

pinwheels3530
05-12-2005, 03:46 PM
Thats what they call the hat. I went to Grandstands a few weeks ago and they called it the Campbell's Soup hat. I think it's a classic uniform. Everybody's into retro gear nowadays and thats one of the better Sox uniforms.

Il like this uniform too... I hope to purchase the Frank Thomas version of this style.