PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie ink in SI

Mark
05-11-2005, 05:46 PM
By Michael Farber

For the best team in baseball the handwriting was on the wall: ANTHEM -- 5:54. Along with times for pregame stretching and batting practice, the start of the national anthem was duly noted in block letters on a grease board in the Chicago White Sox' clubhouse. Ozzie Guillen was hired to manage this team because he is genuinely committed to a franchise that hasn't won a World Series since 1917 (and infamously dumped one of its two subsequent appearances). Guillen, who has so much energy he makes amphetamines jumpy, thinks his Sox should stand for some things, and one of them is The Star-Spangled Banner. The most prized items in Guillen's office are the twin American and Venezuelan flags that hang on the wall behind his desk -- he hopes to obtain his U.S. citizenship by the end of the year -- and he has one important rule: Don't miss the anthem. The fine is $500.

"That's the thing that pisses me off the most," Guillen says, thickly accented words spilling out of his mouth and merrily chasing each other around his office. "Two reasons. If you're not from this country, you should respect the anthem even more than Americans because you should feel pleased you're here. And if you're from this country, you should have respect for people who are dying for it. This is a great country. It has the right of free speech. That's why a lot of countries have problems, because [people] can't speak for themselves."

Guillen, whose White Sox were a major-league-best 24-7 at week's end, speaks enough for everyone. He likes his water cold, his language blue, his communication direct. "He says what he feels," says Eduvigis Polidor, the widow of former big league shortstop Gus Polidor and a close family friend in Venezuela to whom Guillen gave his old house after her husband was murdered in 1995, one of his many gestures of compassion. "It's his way of being. He's very sincere." At the end of his weekly column in El Universal, a respected Venezuelan newspaper, Guillen includes his e-mail address: ozzieguillen13hotmail.com. If you want to contact Oswaldo Guillen, as he's known back home, feel free. But there's a good chance he'll respond with something you don't expect to hear.
http://premium.si.cnn.com/pr/subs/siexclusive/2005/pr/subs/siexclusive/05/09/whitesox0516/index.html

Mickster
05-11-2005, 05:49 PM
Probably not a good idea to post an entire article. Better off just giving us a link.

jeremydavid
05-11-2005, 06:38 PM
way to ruin his email address

halfpricemonday
05-11-2005, 06:54 PM
I should send him a gmail invite. There's no reason he should be stuck with the spam magnet that is hotmail.

guillen4life13
05-11-2005, 07:29 PM
I should send him a gmail invite. There's no reason he should be stuck with the spam magnet that is hotmail.

Wouldn't that be spam in and of itself?

cubsuck
05-11-2005, 08:59 PM

Ozzie is pretty cool to put his email out there for everyone to see...good stuff!

Go OZ!

What about sending me a gmail invite? :) *lol*
I want on that thing bad and have NO IDEA how to get on there!!! :?:

MIgrenade
05-11-2005, 09:01 PM
Sports Illustrated? That's why we lsot 2 in a row!