PDA

View Full Version : Cubune Advertising

sox230
05-11-2005, 04:43 PM
Did anybody just see the ad today by WGN radio dissing the Sox and promoting the Cubs? Also, the two other Cubs advertisements including one that they were playing on WGN, which they never do when the Sox play on WGN. Not suprised in the least, but this is getting pretty ridiculous.

Ol' No. 2
05-11-2005, 04:49 PM
Did anybody just see the ad today by WGN radio dissing the Sox and promoting the Cubs? Also, the two other Cubs advertisements including one that they were playing on WGN, which they never do when the Sox play on WGN. Not suprised in the least, but this is getting pretty ridiculous.We did it to them. Can't take it on the other foot?

PaleHoseGeorge
05-11-2005, 04:56 PM
I've heard no such commercial "dissing" the Sox. Of course I also break out in hives if I even briefly tune in WGN 720, too.

Just say no.

:cool:

Palehose13
05-11-2005, 04:59 PM
Did anybody just see the ad today by WGN radio dissing the Sox and promoting the Cubs? Also, the two other Cubs advertisements including one that they were playing on WGN, which they never do when the Sox play on WGN. Not suprised in the least, but this is getting pretty ridiculous.

What were they doing? Making fun that the SOX have the best record in baseball?

Just win. That's all that matters.

sox230
05-11-2005, 05:02 PM
Did anybody catch the ad dissing the Sox and promoting the Cubs, by (shockingly) WGN radio, and the other 2 cubs ads, including one to say they were on WGN today. I have also noticed that the Cubune never advertises when the Sox are on WGN. I am not suprised but this is still ridiculous.

Ol' No. 2
05-11-2005, 05:04 PM
Did anybody catch the ad dissing the Sox and promoting the Cubs, by (shockingly) WGN radio, and the other 2 cubs ads, including one to say they were on WGN today. I have also noticed that the Cubune never advertises when the Sox are on WGN. I am not suprised but this is still ridiculous.Your original post did not disappear. It was moved to "What's the Score" because that's where threads of this type belong.

Foulke You
05-11-2005, 06:52 PM
Can someone elaborate on what the ad said about the Sox? Just curious.

SOXintheBURGH
05-11-2005, 08:55 PM
Can someone explain it for us out of towners?

Banix12
05-11-2005, 09:04 PM
Eh, it's the cubs flagship station, they are allowed to do that. I doubt there was any ill will intended, though I haven't heard the ads in question yet.

I actually used to intern at WGN Radio, most of the people there are really nice and really don't get involved in any sox hating most of the time. A few of them are even sox fans.

The sox have advertized multiple times "dissing" the cubs. It's just what happens. Grow a spine and laugh it off. It's not a big deal. They are just speaking to their audience, which happens to include mostly cubs fans.

fquaye149
05-12-2005, 01:55 AM
but guys you're missing the paradox - cubs fans don't care about the white sox!!!!

Hitmen77
05-12-2005, 08:37 AM
but guys you're missing the paradox - cubs fans don't care about the white sox!!!!

Not only that, but didn't Cubs management belittle the Sox for our ads last year poking fun at the Cubs? I distinctly remember them acting like the Sox ads were beneath them and saying that the Sox needed to mention the Cubs to promote themselves. Where's that smug attitude now? I didn't hear the WGN ad, but it sounds like Cubs management is hypocritical.

By the way, WGN radio is for a target audience of Cub fans and the elderly. It's the LAMEST station in Chicago. Don't believe that "world's greatest newspaper" crap - it stands for "We're Going Nowhere"! And that's what you are doing if you are wasting time listening to that life-sucking station.

tebman
05-12-2005, 10:07 AM
By the way, WGN radio is for a target audience of Cub fans and the elderly. It's the LAMEST station in Chicago. Don't believe that "world's greatest newspaper" crap - it stand for "We're Going Nowhere"! And that's what you are doing if you are wasting time listening to that life-sucking station.

:rolling: "WGN radio is for a target audience of Cub fans and the elderly...it stand for "We're Going Nowhere"!"

I love it!

cheeses_h_rice
05-12-2005, 11:00 AM
WGN radio is the lamest crapfest of a radio station outside of the crackpots on WIND.

Their midday pairing of two ladies with the most nasal, annoying, near-shrill Chicago accents almost seems like a Saturday Night Live parody, not to mention the milquetoast Alan Alda Flubfan stylings of the "very caring" afternoon guy.

The second you turn to that station, you add 40 years to your actual age.

As PHG said, just say no.

:gulp:

Brian26
05-12-2005, 12:15 PM
I've heard no such commercial "dissing" the Sox. Of course I also break out in hives if I even briefly tune in WGN 720, too.

Just say no.

:cool:

Nobody has actually explained what happened yet, so I might as well fill everyone in...I *think* this might be what he's referring to:

In the Tribune the other day, there was a print ad for the Cubs next game on WGN. The title of it said "Think Outside the Sox"...a stab at the line "Think Outside the Box". It's dumb on a number of levels. Thinking out of the box in this town is being a Sox fan.

gosox41
05-12-2005, 02:05 PM

I didn't see the ads, but welcome the attnetion they're giving the Sox. I'm flattered that they're concerned and see the Sox as a big enough presence to put in their advertising. We put them in our ads and now they're doing it to us. I see no harm in that.

Bob