PDA

View Full Version : *Official* one out of three ain't bad postgame thread...

batmanZoSo
05-11-2005, 04:09 PM
Yay!

Kogs35
05-11-2005, 04:10 PM
WHOO HOO!!!!! EL DUQUE:bandance: :bandance: HERMONSON:gulp: :gulp: YAY!!!!

Stroker Ace
SOX WIN!!! YESSSSS!!!!!

Rocky Soprano
SOX WIN! :gulp:

jshanahanjr
Timely hitting by PK & Dye gets it done. Way to go El Duque, Polite, and Dustin!

NWSox
We needed that one. This calls for the banana:

:supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana:

Come on O's!

Unregistered
Hell, I'll take it...

:winner

elrod
Moral of the series? We win when we don't walk people.

Ol' No. 2
05-11-2005, 04:11 PM
At the end of the day, it's a 4-2 road trip. It doesn't matter how we got 'em, just so we got 'em.

Stroker Ace
Hermanson for closer!!!!

MRKARNO
25 and 9? I'll take it.

voodoochile
05-11-2005, 04:12 PM
You mean the sky isn't falling after all? :D:

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

Flames24Rulz
05-11-2005, 04:13 PM
25-9.

i like those numbers :D:

brewcrew/chisox
05-11-2005, 04:13 PM
:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

a win is a win is a win

batmanZoSo
05-11-2005, 04:14 PM
I'm glad to be done with that place. See ya next year!

Now on to practice our ALCS sweep of the Orioles! :supernana:

ChiSox14305635
05-11-2005, 04:15 PM
I was all for Shingo being able to reclaim the closer's job, but the way Hermanson's been pitching, it's his job now to lose (and I hope he doesn't lose it).

4-2 road trip not bad at all. Could've been 5-1, but you don't always get the breaks. So 4-2 it is. Down with the Birds!

Church Turtle
05-11-2005, 04:17 PM
And to think I was starting to wonder if my new SOX hat was bad luck.

:bandance: :bandance: DANCE PRODUCE DANCE!:bandance: :bandance:

wildcat
05-11-2005, 04:17 PM
Well, maybe my dad was right that the Sox couldn't keep up the 75% winning rate, but hey, 73.5% is not too shabby. :D:

Baby Fisk
05-11-2005, 04:18 PM
Someday, Ozzie LaRussa's approach to bullpen management will kill me once and for all. But today was not that day.

Huzzah! :bandance:

NorthlakeTom
05-11-2005, 04:18 PM
Back on track.

Four out of six is good.

Three observations:

Pierzynski couldn't throw out a guy in a wheelchair if his life depended on it.

Ozzie is a batter or two late in bringing in a reliever.

The Sox have to do better with the bases loaded and no outs.

Otherwise, a superbly pitched game. El Duque was worn out after six, but he was masterful. Politte was impressive, and lately, I think he deserves to be used more. Marte has been off for the last few games. As far as Hermanson goes, I'm wondering how long he can go without an ERA.

HomeFish
05-11-2005, 04:20 PM
Down with the Birds!

Not until tomorrow. Today we are all big Orioles fans.

Shoeless Joe
05-11-2005, 04:23 PM
Mmmm...good to have that winning feel again. I'm very pumped to face the Orioles now. It's going to be the clash of the titans. 7-0 for Garland tomorrow? That would be sweet!

mjharrison72
05-11-2005, 04:25 PM
Neifi Perez just GIDP for the Flubs in the bottom of the 9th with the bases loaded...:D:

Ol' No. 2
05-11-2005, 04:26 PM
Just as well we got those losses out of the way. Now for some home cookin'. I hear roast Oriole is on the menu.:smile:

PaleHoseGeorge
"Sox salvage finale"

I'm sure Knueman will note this is a legitimate angle to the story and every bit as valid as...

"Unprecedented streak!"
"Franchise-Best Mark!"
"Baseball's Best Win Again!"

:knue
"We're just being objective about the whole baseball thing here in Chicago." *

*The Cubs, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Tribune Company, also owner of this newspaper.

Ol' No. 2
Neifi Perez just GIDP for the Flubs in the bottom of the 9th with the bases loaded...:D:Saw that. Maybe it's a Chicago thing.:(:

Lip Man 1
05-11-2005, 04:28 PM
I'll gladly take the win.....now back home for a little bit.

Lip

Flight #24
05-11-2005, 04:29 PM
"Sox salvage finale"

I'm sure Knueman will note this is a legitimate angle to the story and every bit as valid as...

"Unprecedented streak!"
"Franchise-Best Mark!"

*The Cubs, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Tribune Company, also owner of this newspaper.

Heck - I'd be happy if they just publicized the win the same as the past 2 losses. Both days had the giant headline and 3/4page dedicated to the Sox. Let's see if a win can generate the same.......(not holding breath)......

Kogs35
05-11-2005, 04:30 PM
I'll gladly take the win.....now back home for a little bit.

Lip

in chicago for 10 at home for 7

mjharrison72
Just as well we got those losses out of the way. Now for some home cookin'. I hear roast Oriole is on the menu.:smile:

I have a great recipe...:cool:
http://web.tri-isys.com/radicalchef/images/foodblog/roastduck.jpg

Ol' No. 2
"Sox salvage finale"

"Unprecedented streak!"
"Franchise-Best Mark!"

*The Cubs, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Tribune Company, also owner of this newspaper.I wonder if "Sox avoid complete humiliation" would fit?

Taz
05-11-2005, 04:32 PM
I was hoping for 25 up before 10 down... This series had me worried.. :(:

mjharrison72
05-11-2005, 04:32 PM
O's take the lead in bottom of 8th 5-4 :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

Why, oh, why don't the Twins put in Juan Rincon to stop this Oriole onslaught?

Ol' No. 2
05-11-2005, 04:34 PM
I have a great recipe...:cool:
http://web.tri-isys.com/radicalchef/images/foodblog/roastduck.jpgMe, too.

Start with 4 large helpings of good starting pitching
Blend it plenty of timely hitting
Sprinkle in solid relief work, as needed

Serves 30,000 screaming fans:D:

SoxSpeed22
05-11-2005, 04:36 PM
Much better.

LVSoxFan
05-11-2005, 04:39 PM
Back on track.

Four out of six is good.

Three observations:

Pierzynski couldn't throw out a guy in a wheelchair if his life depended on it.

Ozzie is a batter or two late in bringing in a reliever.

The Sox have to do better with the bases loaded and no outs.

Otherwise, a superbly pitched game. El Duque was worn out after six, but he was masterful. Politte was impressive, and lately, I think he deserves to be used more. Marte has been off for the last few games. As far as Hermanson goes, I'm wondering how long he can go without an ERA.

I agree with the thing about Ozzie being late on pulling the starters--just enough to get us in trouble with guys on base. Like with Freddy yesterday.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-11-2005, 04:44 PM
I wonder if "Sox avoid complete humiliation" would fit?

I'll bet you double or nothing our 1-game winning streak doesn't garner a "Pointed in the Right Direction" headline.
:wink:

infohawk
05-11-2005, 04:46 PM
At the end of the day, it's a 4-2 road trip. It doesn't matter how we got 'em, just so we got 'em.

And because of the sweep in Toronto, we are still winning "two out of every three."

WhiteSox16K
05-11-2005, 04:46 PM
Romero walks another, O's lead by 3.:bandance:

Goose
05-11-2005, 04:50 PM
Not until tomorrow. Today we are all big Orioles fans.

Baltimore increased their lead by 3 in Bot 8...GO O's (for now)

NorthlakeTom
05-11-2005, 04:51 PM
And because of the sweep in Toronto, we are still winning "two out of every three."
Which works out to 108 wins for a season. We're doing just fine.

I think the team is still making too many mistakes, but overall, the future is bright.

kittle42
05-11-2005, 04:59 PM
Victory = 40 post thread

Loss= 400 post thread

batmanZoSo
05-11-2005, 05:02 PM
Victory = 40 post thread

Loss= 400 post thread

What did my teachers always tell me? If you don't have anything negative to say, don't say anything. :redneck

PaleHoseGeorge
05-11-2005, 05:03 PM
Victory = 40 post thread

Loss= 400 post thread

Where do you think all of this got started?
:cool:

:firejerry
:fireward
:firenardi
:fireozzie
:fireshoop
:firejauron

And of course...

:therapy:

PaleHoseGeorge
05-11-2005, 05:07 PM
This is stupid. We're deleting posts about the Twins/O's game from this WHITE SOX postgame thread.

There is a forum and a thread for these stream-of-conscious posts. This forum and thread is not it.

Flight #24
05-11-2005, 05:10 PM
This is stupid. We're deleting posts about the Twins/O's game from this WHITE SOX postgame thread.

There is a forum and a thread for these stream-of-conscious posts. This forum and thread is not it.

Oops, got caught up in the moment. Apologies for the extra work.

elrod
05-11-2005, 05:12 PM
Good to see Hermy shut the door down on the Rays, but I'd love to see the walk count down from everybody, including Dustin.

The Orioles are scuffling a bit, with Sosa and Matos out. But they can hit you from anywhere in their lineup. The key for Garland is going to be: work fast and get ahead as usual.

ode to veeck
nice to have the Sox up by 4.5 games again :redneck

PaleHoseGeorge
nice to have the Sox up by 4.5 games again :redneck

Indeed.
:redneck :redneck

Jurr
05-11-2005, 05:13 PM
Yeah...this is great. Everything feels normal again. Now, we need to be thinking about all of the big moves that are coming to tweak the roster. I heard that we may be looking at a Shingo for Derek Lee trade. That move would make us INVINCIBLE!! Ohhh the comedy.

maurice
05-11-2005, 05:26 PM
Lee And Dempster's Heroics Win Another For Surging Cubs
Dusty Baker's brilliance saves the day once again. New relief ace Ryan Dempster gave up only one run in the ninth inning, allowing the surging Cubs to come back and win in dramatic fashion on an extra-inning homer by Derrek Lee. With a 2-0 record in their last two games, the Cubs are on pace for 147 wins, the division title, and a World Series victory. Meanwhile, the struggling St. Louis Cardinals are certain to lose their division crown, now that they have lost one consecutive games in a row. Dusty Baker told reporters that Kerry Wood should return to the rotation later this week. "Dude, sometimes your elbow is just not connected to your body. Things like this happen to white pitchers over the course of a season, dude." Baker also said that he plans on pitching Hawkins in close games as soon as the weather warms up. "I went with Dempster, because it was only in the 50s today," Baker said.

Collapsing Sox Barely Eke Out Victory Over Crappy Team
The White Sox finally defeated the lowly Devil Rays before a crowd of only 9,414 fans. Their lack of drawing power during road games prevents them from acquiring replacements for crappy young players like Juan Uribe and Jon Garland, who are laughably inferior to the likes of Nomar Garciapara, Neifi Perez, John Leicester, and Angel Guzman. Dustin Hermanson closed out the game for the Sox, but baseball insider Bruce Levine reported that Jim Hendry's Vulcan mind meld technique will allow him to acquire Hermanson for Cliff Bartosh and a player to be named later. What do you expect from an organization that allows Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen to pursue their losing "small ball" theories, which have already cost the Sox 9 wins this season. If only they had given Magglio Ordonez that 17-year, $465 million extension he requested, they would have the power they need to compete againt home run hitting teams like the Twins, who have won the division 12 consecutive seasons.

ode to veeck
05-11-2005, 05:32 PM
what do you expect from an organization that allows Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen to pursue their losing "small ball" theories, which have already cost the Sox 9 wins this season.

LOL! Careful Maurice, you could get drafted by the Cubune!

Ron Karkovice
05-11-2005, 05:35 PM
lets get at least 3 wins starting tomorrow for this serios with the O's!! I'll be there thursday and sunday. I hope I see some of you with no way of knowing!

NorthlakeTom
05-11-2005, 05:35 PM
Dusty Baker's brilliance saves the day once again. New relief ace Ryan Dempster gave up only one run in the ninth inning, allowing the surging Cubs to come back and win in dramatic fashion on an extra-inning homer by Derrek Lee. With a 2-0 record in their last two games, the Cubs are on pace for 147 wins, the division title, and a World Series victory. Meanwhile, the struggling St. Louis Cardinals are certain to lose their division crown, now that they have lost one consecutive games in a row. Dusty Baker told reporters that Kerry Wood should return to the rotation later this week. "Dude, sometimes your elbow is just not connected to your body. Things like this happen to white pitchers over the course of a season, dude." Baker also said that he plans on pitching Hawkins in close games as soon as the weather warms up. "I went with Dempster, because it was only in the 50s today," Baker said.

The White Sox finally defeated the lowly Devil Rays before a crowd of only 9,414 fans. Their lack of drawing power during road games prevents them from acquiring replacements for crappy young players like Juan Uribe and Jon Garland, who are laughably inferior to the likes of Nomar Garciapara, Neifi Perez, John Leicester, and Angel Guzman. Dustin Hermanson closed out the game for the Sox, but baseball insider Bruce Levine reported that Jim Hendry's Vulcan mind meld technique will allow him to acquire Hermanson for Cliff Bartosh and a player to be named later. What do you expect from an organization that allows Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen to pursue their losing "small ball" theories, which have already cost the Sox 9 wins this season. If only they had given Magglio Ordonez that 17-year, $465 million extension he requested, they would have the power they need to compete againt home run hitting teams like the Twins, who have won the division 12 consecutive seasons.

LMMFAO! Too much!

You are talented, maurice. You should consider setting up a Cubune parody website. Your writing is hilarious.

Ol' No. 2
05-11-2005, 05:39 PM

The White Sox finally defeated the lowly Devil Rays before a crowd of only 9,414 fans. Their lack of drawing power during road games prevents them from acquiring replacements for crappy young players like Juan Uribe and Jon Garland, who are laughably inferior to the likes of Nomar Garciapara, Neifi Perez, John Leicester, and Angel Guzman. Dustin Hermanson closed out the game for the Sox, but baseball insider Bruce Levine reported that Jim Hendry's Vulcan mind meld technique will allow him to acquire Hermanson for Cliff Bartosh and a player to be named later. What do you expect from an organization that allows Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen to pursue their losing "small ball" theories, which have already cost the Sox 9 wins this season. If only they had given Magglio Ordonez that 17-year, $465 million extension he requested, they would have the power they need to compete againt home run hitting teams like the Twins, who have won the division 12 consecutive seasons.You know what's scary? You're probably not far off.

maurice
05-11-2005, 06:09 PM
You know what's scary? You're probably not far off.

LOL! Parody or prediction? We'll find out tomorrow morning.

nasox
05-11-2005, 06:11 PM

I'm waiting for the day you guys have to lock postgame threads. That would be really sucky. Damn trolls who can't follow directions....I mean darn trolls.... :redneck

JB98
05-11-2005, 06:17 PM

This is awesome.
:D:

A Yankees fan assured me earlier today that El Duque always delivers a good performance when he's pitching the day after a tough loss. Obviously, that was the key to the game. Strong outing for Hernandez.

Still concerned about the offense, though. Brazelton was brutal. I felt we should have scored more than five off him. We had bases loaded for the top of the order in the sixth and failed to score. Not acceptable.

eastchicagosoxfan
05-11-2005, 06:29 PM
Which works out to 108 wins for a season. We're doing just fine.

I think the team is still making too many mistakes, but overall, the future is bright.
I agree. The team is playing well, and when you play this well, it's very easy to focus on the mistakes which were evident in this series. Walks kill. You gotta throw first pitch strikes. Errors hurt worse than walks. It's hard enough to get three outs in an inning, let alone four. The first two games ( I didn't see today's ballgame ) looked a lot like last season's Sox. This team has a great future.

nasox
05-11-2005, 06:31 PM
This is awesome.
:D:

A Yankees fan assured me earlier today that El Duque always delivers a good performance when he's pitching the day after a tough loss. Obviously, that was the key to the game. Strong outing for Hernandez.

Still concerned about the offense, though. Brazelton was brutal. I felt we should have scored more than five off him. We had bases loaded for the top of the order in the sixth and failed to score. Not acceptable.

That was quite the :dtroll: ish statement. Only five runs. Wow, we really must be in a huge slump now. Dye and Konerko only getting important RBIs signifies the extended period of crappiness right now. If we had gotten some men in the sixth, we would have won by more than just three. Who cares if we lose 10-9, at least we scored nine runs. Do you work for the tribune company?

balke
05-11-2005, 06:33 PM
That was quite the :dtroll: ish statement. Only five runs. Wow, we really must be in a huge slump now. Dye and Konerko only getting important RBIs signifies the extended period of crappiness right now. If we had gotten some men in the sixth, we would have won by more than just three. Who cares if we lose 10-9, at least we scored nine runs. Do you work for the tribune company?

He's kinda right. At least we are creating bases loaded situations, but at least one of those was with no outs, and we got one run on a sac fly.

JB98
05-11-2005, 06:53 PM

No, actually I work for the Aurora Beacon News, and we're owned by the same outfit that owns the Sun-Times.

Sorry, just because we won today doesn't mean I'm not going to be critical of the team. The offense was not as productive as it should have been. Period.

Great job by El Duque, Politte and Hermanson. I have nothing good to say about the hitters today.

batmanZoSo
05-11-2005, 07:35 PM
No, actually I work for the Aurora Beacon News, and we're owned by the same outfit that owns the Sun-Times.

Sorry, just because we won today doesn't mean I'm not going to be critical of the team. The offense was not as productive as it should have been. Period.

Great job by El Duque, Politte and Hermanson. I have nothing good to say about the hitters today.

That bases loaded, no out inning was brutal. I can't bring myself to complain about the offense when they score 5 runs, but that was bad.

Cowhead418
05-11-2005, 07:43 PM
I couldn't watch the game because I was at school but this has turned out to be a great day! Sox win, Twins lose with Santana on the mound, and I win my high-school conference 2-mile race! We came into the series with a 4.5 game lead and exited with a 4.5 game lead. No damage done! I'll take it!:supernana: :smile: :D: :cool: :) :wink:

FarWestChicago
05-11-2005, 08:23 PM
Sorry, just because we won today doesn't mean I'm not going to be critical of the team.

:prozac

TomParrish79
05-11-2005, 08:29 PM
too much analyzing going on, just enjoy the win

swanson24
05-11-2005, 09:07 PM
"Enjoy a win." A "Thank you" goes out for all of those who are getting it. Did the game have some rough patches? Answer: Obviously doesn't every game but we won and the Twins lost. The Twins are the team that will be hanging around all year. Enjoy it all Sox fans! Go White Sox!

Mohoney
05-11-2005, 09:36 PM
Yes, we lost 2 out of 3 to a bad team, but WE DIDN'T LOSE ANY GROUND!

Minnesota had an opportunity to pick up a game or two on us and couldn't get it done. That's an encouraging sign.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-11-2005, 09:52 PM
Yes, we lost 2 out of 3 to a bad team, but WE DIDN'T LOSE ANY GROUND!

Minnesota had an opportunity to pick up a game or two on us and couldn't get it done. That's an encouraging sign.

This perfectly illustrates why having a 4.5 game lead this early in the season is so huge. Every team expects to win 40 games and lose 40 games, the other 82 deciding their fate. That's barely 50 percent of the season's schedule!

There is 105 seasons worth of historical precedent that proves how difficult it is to overcome the 25 percent of the season you're expecting to lose and still catch from behind a team you already handed a 4.5 game lead because of your own sucking. You have to expect to lose 25 percent of your games just as surely as the team ahead of you expects to win 25 percent of their games!

The math is a lot harder than some stupid (4.5) in the "Games Behind" column.

Sure, the Twins can do it... but they'll never catch us if we keep winning. The Twins' season gets shorter with each passing day and the Sox hold the fate of BOTH CLUBS in their own hands.

JB98
05-11-2005, 10:12 PM

:prozac

Just keep drinking your Kool-Aid. Our offense is mediocre at best.

FarWestChicago
05-11-2005, 10:17 PM
Just keep drinking your Kool-Aid. Our offense is mediocre at best.Get some help. You seriously need it. If you can't enjoy Sox victories, and you have shown you can't, there is something seriously wrong with you. :kukoo:

JB98
05-11-2005, 10:19 PM
too much analyzing going on, just enjoy the win

And you people wonder why there are more posts after we lose. When we win, everyone just goes "Hooray! Go Sox!" That's nothing to reply to. I'm just trying offering my thoughts on the game in a little more detail. We had great pitching today, as I've stated. But we should have put double-digit runs on the board. We had baserunning gaffes by Perez and Uribe, and we squandered opportunities to blow this game wide, wide open in the third and the sixth. If we are going to stay at the top of the division, we need better execution offensively. We need to hit better with RISP. Don't fool yourselves into thinking this was "a great victory." Brazelton lost the game more than we won it. He was so bad that we couldn't help but score a few off him.

JB98
05-11-2005, 10:20 PM
Get some help. You seriously need it. If you can't enjoy Sox victories, and you have shown you can't, there is something seriously wrong with you. :kukoo:

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah

PaleHoseGeorge
05-11-2005, 10:22 PM
And you people wonder why there are more posts after we lose. ... Brazelton lost the game more than we won it. He was so bad that we couldn't help but score a few off him.

Now put yourself in a Sox Fan's shoes circa 2004. The pitcher you're pissing on is named Grilli, not Brazelton... and you would be right here pissing about the SOX PITCHING after the Sox LOST.

Instead it's 2005 and you're pissing about the Sox hitters after a Sox victory.

West is right. You need psychiatric help.

FarWestChicago
05-11-2005, 10:24 PM
Blah, blah, blah, blah, blahIt's nice to see your depression has made you more articulate.

kojak
05-11-2005, 10:29 PM
As far as Hermanson goes, I'm wondering how long he can go without an ERA.

Hey, I don't have an ERA either but I don't see anyone blowing sunshine up my skirt! :tongue:

seanpmurphy
05-11-2005, 10:30 PM
So much animosity there is!

I agree with the majority though. Why get down about the Sox's crappy hitting and base running this game. We still got the win. These are all professional players. They're going to watch the tape and see their mistakes in the batter's box, or on the bases, and they're going to correct them. The way some people are talking it's as if this is a constant thing the Sox have a problem with and today they just happened to win. That's not the case at all. The Sox win, it was fabulous. :bandance:

No Shingo, No Problem. Hermanson's the new sheriff in town.

balke
05-11-2005, 10:34 PM
It was the plan to win with pitching and D all along. I think we can do better with RISP for sure, but like I said, we're at least getting RISP. When Frank comes back... BOOM...

A.T. Money
05-11-2005, 10:44 PM
Did the Sox win?

SOX ADDICT '73
05-11-2005, 10:45 PM
If we are going to stay at the top of the division, we need better execution offensively. We need to hit better with RISP. Don't fool yourselves into thinking this was "a great victory."
There is no other kind.

Should we have scored more runs today? Probably.

Does our BA with RISP suck? Without a doubt.

Does watching the Sox load the bases with nobody out and still fail to score make me want to punch my TV? Sure, but only for the moment.

Because, you see, I understand that the only stat that matters at the close of business is:

W
Which can only be enhanced by one other stat: a Twins L.

TomParrish79
05-12-2005, 01:13 AM
And you people wonder why there are more posts after we lose. When we win, everyone just goes "Hooray! Go Sox!"

Hooray...Go Sox!!!!

and as the Fatboys would say after a win.... HEE-HUH

shoota
05-12-2005, 01:49 AM
Victory = 40 post thread

Loss= 400 post thread

That's to be expected though with fans of any sports team. Fans want to see their team win, and if the team does, all is right in the world. If the team loses, fans want to discuss with others why they lost, whose fault it is for not doing his job, and how the team should have performed. It may seem backwards to have more discussion about losses than wins, but it's actually natural.

batmanZoSo
05-12-2005, 03:22 AM
That's to be expected though with fans of any sports team. Fans want to see their team win, and if the team does, all is right in the world. If the team loses, fans want to discuss with others why they lost, whose fault it is for not doing his job, and how the team should have performed. It may seem backwards to have more discussion about losses than wins, but it's actually natural.

And the 400-40 ratio is indeed an exaggeration. This is the 83rd reply for a win thread, while the previous one was 178 in which we did lose. But the first Devil Ray loss thread had only 72 replies. Yesterday we naturally had a lot of grumbling over losing a second in a row to a crappy team while looking sluggish and bad all around. Plus the manner in which we lost it (Vizcaino coughing up the lead and Shingo promptly giving up a walk-off) naturally sparked a lot of worry.

SSN721
05-12-2005, 06:12 AM
Well just to add to the paltry postgame thread post total, we won. And by three runs. Great pitching all around, the bases loaded situation (the second time around) made me sick and want to throw my computer out the window, but hey, we still won. Cant start another streak without winning the first game. We have done that now. Lets go bird hunting.

Maximo
05-12-2005, 08:21 AM
The starting pitching staff is showing that any one of the five of them are capable of pitching a strong enough game to keep them from going into a long losing streak.

As has already been mentioned several times.....the Sox just lost a series at Tampa Bay and yet, did not give up any ground to the Twins. There are now three games less on the schedule and the Sox have the same lead over 2nd place that they had three days ago.

I know we are all cognizant of where the Twins are.....but in reality, they are currently in our rearview mirror. The Sox are certainly going to have stretches where they will not play .750 baseball. They just need to keep eliminating games from the schedule while holding their ground.

Pennants are not won in April.....but still, I'd rather be looking down, than up, no matter what time of year.

maurice
05-12-2005, 01:32 PM
Parody or prediction? We'll find out tomorrow morning.
The Trib headline is "Stepping Up In Class," and the article begins:
There will be bigger challenges for the White Sox than Wednesday's 5-2 victory over Tampa Bay. But the mere accomplishment of averting a three-game sweep before heading home for a seven-game homestand wasn't lost on them.
The article later continues:
The Sox finished this trip 4-2 and return to U.S. Cellular Field to face AL East leader Baltimore and offensive-minded Texas. The Sox at least could win over more fans in their four-games series with Baltimore. The Sox, who rank 28th in home attendance average (20,044) despite posting baseball's best record (25-9), had sold more than 107,000 tickets for the four-game series with Baltimore in anticipation of Sammy Sosa's return to Chicago. But Sosa will miss the series with a staph infection in his left foot.
Sorry, Mark. You had me, but you lost me. I guess Knue was right about the Trib never mentioning Sox attendance.

Later, WSI's very own PRogers starts off his column with a mention of attendance in Tampa. He later explains that the Sox won't hit 200 HR this season, because they're curently on pace to hit "only 162." (Apparently, we're only 7th in the AL in HR.) I'll take that bet. The return of Frank Thomas, the expected increase in production from slumping middle-of-the-order hitters, and a significant increase in game-time temperatures is very likely to increase the Sox HR output. Why in the world should we believe that the HR rate in April / May will be the same as July / August, Phil? The rest of the article is pretty solid.

Hangar18
05-12-2005, 01:39 PM
Winning one out of three to a bad Devil Ray team is definitely BAD.
Why? if the DRays swept the Twins or beat them 2 of 3, then it wouldnt be
so bad. But thats not what happened. The Twins horse-whipped
the DRays and swept them. Every game they pummelled them. Every game they were in it with us. They held them to 1 run in 2 games I remember ........ We couldnt stop them from leading off an inning with a man on.
ok, enough venting. lets take 4 from the Orioles, because the national momentum was in our favor til the DRays made us look like schmucks. All poorly played games, and not in our favor.

balke
05-12-2005, 01:54 PM
Later, WSI's very own PRogers starts off his column with a mention of attendance in Tampa. He later explains that the Sox won't hit 200 HR this season, because they're curently on pace to hit "only 162." (Apparently, we're only 7th in the AL in HR.) I'll take that bet. The return of Frank Thomas, the expected increase in production from slumping middle-of-the-order hitters, and a significant increase in game-time temperatures is very likely to increase the Sox HR output. Why in the world should we believe that the HR rate in April / May will be the same as July / August, Phil? The rest of the article is pretty solid.

Like we're trying to win with the longball... All I care about are W's. We probably WILL hit 200 Hr's or more. I don't care what we hit, as long as we win. When/if Frank is back... that should give us a boost in the HR department. Wait til this homestand, and see what pace we are on is what I say.

Hangar18
05-12-2005, 04:59 PM
Like we're trying to win with the longball... All I care about are W's. We probably WILL hit 200 Hr's or more. I don't care what we hit, as long as we win. When/if Frank is back... that should give us a boost in the HR department. Wait til this homestand, and see what pace we are on is what I say.

I see the general point here.......... a W is a W.
Id much rather have a W than an L.