PDA

View Full Version : Which reliever would you want to rely on?

mweflen
05-11-2005, 04:42 PM
I Heart Cliff Politte. Seems like the guy is tough as nails, and he has some real life on his pitches this year (as opposed to last year).

If I never see Vizcaino pitch again, it will be too soon.

gobears1987
05-11-2005, 04:43 PM
Politte is great, but he is my 2nd choice. I'll take Hermanson any day.

mccoydp
05-11-2005, 04:47 PM
I'll take Dustin as well, until he gives up a run & loses a game, then I'll pick a new favorite.

Must....have....perfection....:rolleyes:

wildcat
05-11-2005, 05:00 PM
I heart Politte too, but I'd take Hermanson over Politte for three petty reasons:

1. Dustin's only walked 2 batters all year. A walk would be devastating in that situation.

2. Dustin's a tiny bit older, might be less like likely to give in to the pressure. (He hasn't looked frazzled yet this year.)

3. Dustin's from Ohio and shares an alma mater with my parents. :smile:

wildcat
05-11-2005, 05:05 PM
D'oh. Spoke moments too soon. Make that 3 batters walked all year.

Ol' No. 2
05-11-2005, 05:12 PM
You've got to be kidding.

ChiSoxMTR
05-11-2005, 05:12 PM
Who is batting?

MUsoxfan
05-11-2005, 05:13 PM
I'll go with the numbers. 0.00 this far into the season speaks volumes

mweflen
05-11-2005, 05:37 PM
You've got to be kidding.

care to elaborate?

Ol' No. 2
05-11-2005, 05:39 PM
care to elaborate?I think MUsoxfan said it pretty well. Got anyone better to put in?

The Racehorse
05-11-2005, 05:39 PM
I can't make up my mind on this. :redneck
Gotta update my sig... Herm, as in no runs earned! :bandance:

mweflen
05-11-2005, 05:46 PM
I like Hermy, but for some reason, I just think he will crumble sooner or later. Politte has big velocity and great control.

It's one of those hunch things. I can't back it up with stats.:cool:

Ol' No. 2
05-11-2005, 05:55 PM
I like Hermy, but for some reason, I just think he will crumble sooner or later. Politte has big velocity and great control.

It's one of those hunch things. I can't back it up with stats.:cool:Homefish, is that you?

Flames24Rulz
05-11-2005, 05:59 PM
Hermy hands down.

mweflen
05-11-2005, 06:01 PM
Homefish, is that you?

That's not very nice :tongue: I have plenty of my own unsupportable hunches without borrowing them from anyone else.

Infallible
05-11-2005, 06:02 PM
No doubt in my mind, not even a question, without hesitation.....Neal Cotts. He's my guy.

Chisox003
05-11-2005, 06:03 PM
Whoever picked shingo has been :gulp:

Palehose13
05-11-2005, 06:04 PM
I heart Politte too, but I'd take Hermanson over Politte for three petty reasons:

1. Dustin's only walked 2 batters all year. A walk would be devastating in that situation.

2. Dustin's a tiny bit older, might be less like likely to give in to the pressure. (He hasn't looked frazzled yet this year.)

3. Dustin's from Ohio and shares an alma mater with my parents. :smile:

4. Hermanson has post season experience.

***off topic sidenote: Anyone hear the "Dustin in the Wind" paraody "Duuuuustin Herman...son, all we got was Dutstin Hermanson" on MJ&H (I think) after KW signed Dustin. Two things that I doubt they will ever eat crow about:
#1) Hermanson was a good pick up and most of the mediots thought he was a freaking joke.
#2) The aformentioned paradoy suggested that Hermanson was KW's only off-season move. They were obviously wrong.

mweflen
05-11-2005, 06:09 PM
4. Hermanson has post season experience.

***off topic sidenote: Anyone hear the "Dustin in the Wind" paraody "Duuuuustin Herman...son, all we got was Dutstin Hermanson" on MJ&H (I think) after KW signed Dustin. Two things that I doubt they will ever eat crow about:
#1) Hermanson was a good pick up and most of the mediots thought he was a freaking joke.
#2) The aformentioned paradoy suggested that Hermanson was KW's only off-season move. They were obviously wrong.

"In Dusty We Trusty" :D:

He was a great pick-up because he solidified our pen and gave us an emergency starting option.

I think he will probably revert to something closer to form (i.e. not a 0.00 ERA), but that's good, too.

White Sox Josh
05-11-2005, 06:13 PM
I went with Politte.

Palehose13
05-11-2005, 06:14 PM
"In Dusty We Trusty" :D:

He was a great pick-up because he solidified our pen and gave us an emergency starting option.

I think he will probably revert to something closer to form (i.e. not a 0.00 ERA), but that's good, too.

I looked him up on espn.com to see if I could find his post season numbers (no luck), but was rather amused when I saw 0-0 0.00 under his mug. I guess Dustin is the real Mr. Zero.

Seriously though, I agree with you about Politte looking good this year. IMHO, my confidence in the pen goes like this:
1. Hermanson
2. Politte
3. Shingo
4. Marte

Three and four are real close, but Marte scares the hell out of me more than Shingo. Usually with Shingo you know within a few pitches if he is off or on and IMO when he is off, Ozzie needs to get his happy ass out there and yank him.

Infallible
05-11-2005, 06:17 PM
Three and four are real close, but Marte scares the hell out of me more than Shingo. Usually with Shingo you know within a few pitches if he is off or on and IMO when he is off, Ozzie needs to get his happy ass out there and yank him.

+1. Marte worries the hell out of me as well. He throws a few good pitches and then gives up the long ball at inopportune times. Of course he usually will walk a guy in between k's first, which makes it that much tougher.

Palehose13
05-11-2005, 06:18 PM
+1. Marte worries the hell out of me as well. He throws a few good pitches and then gives up the long ball at inopportune times. Of course he usually will walk a guy in between k's first, which makes it that much tougher.

Yep...that's why Marte scares me. I mean he'll be looking good, throwing some nice pitches having the batter at 1-2 and then BAM! He hangs one over the plate. I just hate hen you're feeling good and then your heart just gets ripped out. At least with Shingo you see it coming. :wink:

jeremydavid
05-11-2005, 06:42 PM
No doubt in my mind, not even a question, without hesitation.....Neal Cotts. He's my guy.

:tealtutor:

Gotta be Marte or Hermanson based on matchups. Politte showed today why he wouldn't be good in this situation. He gave up one run. He's a flyball pitcher and the odds of him striking out the first guy are about 1 in 4 so you you have an almost 3 in 4 shot of being down by one. Sorry about the shady math but it's just proving my point...

Ditka311
05-11-2005, 07:14 PM

I sure hope you are kidding. I have no clue how this guy is in the majors. We should ship him to the Cubs where he would fit in perfect. He's great at squandering late inning leads.

maurice
05-11-2005, 07:19 PM
Hermanson: 0.00 ERA
Politte: 1.35 ERA
Marte: 1.93 ERA
Cotts: 3.48 ERA

Palehose13
05-11-2005, 07:20 PM
I sure hope you are kidding. I have no clue how this guy is in the majors. We should ship him to the Cubs where he would fit in perfect. He's great at squandering late inning leads.

I hear that they'll give us D.Lee for him.

TornLabrum
05-11-2005, 08:47 PM
See my earlier "Fallen Arches" column on the subject in the archives. I love Ozzie's present philosophy: "If I put you in in the ninth, close the ninth. If I put you in in the eighth, close the eighth. If I put you in in the seventh, close the seventh."

Cowhead418
05-11-2005, 08:54 PM
I love how many Flubbie fans were saying before the season when we picked up Hermy - "Oh yeah, you picked up Dustin Hermanson. What a terrible pickup." One "fan" even said when we were arguing whether the Cubs or Sox bullpen is better "Hermanson sucks. He's never been any good. I've followed him his entire career (minors too).:rolleyes: He sucks." Has there been a reliever in baseball more dominating than him right now? What are the top five ERA's of RP with at least 10 IP?

SOX ADDICT '73
05-11-2005, 11:19 PM
The results of this poll are a complete surprise.

I must say, however, that one person made a good point:

Who is batting?
Hermy's looked the best overall, but lefties have hit him at a .360 clip (vs. righties hitting .156).

Both Politte (.313) and Cotts (.316) have a lower left-handed opponents' BA than Hermanson.

Lefties have just smacked the crap out of our bullpen. Wasn't Vizcaino billed as a "righty who pitches lights-out to lefties"? They're tagging him for a .467 BA so far this year :o:!