PDA

View Full Version : ChiSox?

LoganSox
05-11-2005, 03:15 PM
In the other thread here, and in others, I get the impression "ChiSox" is not a favored expression...as someone who did not grow up in Chicago, I'm wondering why the negativity towards this shorthand?

When I was a kid in Syracuse, NY, we used ChiSox and BoSox all the time.

maurice
05-11-2005, 03:24 PM
"ChiSox" is redundant. "Sox" is sufficient. The Boston American League franchise is the "Red Sox," "those other Sox," or "those lazy bastards who copied our name." More importantly, the Boston team should never, ever be refered to simply as the "Sox."

ode to veeck
05-11-2005, 03:27 PM
the boston franchise is known as the "wrong sox"

the chicago franchise is the "white sox" or simply the "sox"

Fenway
05-11-2005, 03:28 PM
In the other thread here, and in others, I get the impression "ChiSox" is not a favored expression...as someone who did not grow up in Chicago, I'm wondering why the negativity towards this shorthand?

Certainly the team itself has no problem with chisox as that is the domain used when sending email to White Sox staff

xxxxx@chisox.com

Boston does the same

ode to veeck
05-11-2005, 03:29 PM
I have no idea what a "chisox" is... it is universally unrecognizeable in the midwest

maurice
05-11-2005, 03:38 PM
Certainly the team itself has no problem with chisox

Of course not. JR is a Brooklyn Dodgers fan. *** does he know. :cool:

I want Mags back
05-11-2005, 03:43 PM
Networks use chisox because they always wrongly use sox to mean red sox, and putting us just as just sox as it should be would throw off their stupid system or something. STUPID ESPN

elrod
05-11-2005, 04:13 PM
We are the Saaaaax.

The Boston team is the Saux.

It's all in the accent.

FARMEO
05-11-2005, 04:34 PM
The White Sox do use the term "Chisox". The MLB site for the White Sox was and still is chisox.com and there was the Chisox kid's club a few years ago. The term "Chitown" is NOT used by anyone who lives in Chicago!!!

There was a posting about this same topic about a week ago. There were some pretty passionate comments.

Taz
05-11-2005, 04:36 PM
Certainly the team itself has no problem with chisox as that is the domain used when sending email to White Sox staff

xxxxx@chisox.com

Boston does the same

MLB HQ is in NY... they just want to stick it to Chicago and Boston at the same time...:smile:

Mark
05-11-2005, 04:39 PM
We are the Saaaaax.

The Boston team is the Saux.

It's all in the accent.

It's actually Sawx for the Red variety. :smile:

cwsox
05-11-2005, 04:50 PM

That word has always been hated in Chicago. It is lazy, it is meaningless, it is hip to people so out of it that are clueless. Sorry. That is the way it is.

Syracuse.. would you refer to the syrange? "Syrange lose to/beat Georgetown." It is un-natural, isn't it. That is the local point. Out of towners use it at their peril.

cwsox
05-11-2005, 04:51 PM
The White Sox do use the term "Chisox". The MLB site for the White Sox was and still is chisox.com and there was the Chisox kid's club a few years ago.

No. Non Chicagoan MLB types marketed that term. No native born would ever use it.

Fenway
05-11-2005, 05:08 PM
headline on ESPN.com

ChiSox avoid sweep (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=250511130)

ode to veeck
05-11-2005, 05:41 PM
who reads espn?

Chisox003
05-11-2005, 05:43 PM
I dont think the name ChiSox is too bad....

Oh well

Orta 4-6-3
05-11-2005, 05:47 PM
[QUOTE=Chisox003]I dont think the name ChiSox is too bad....

ChiTown, on the other hand...

Dibbs
05-11-2005, 06:04 PM
I don't think Chisox is bad at all, people are just getting a little worked up. I will say that I have never told someone I am from Chitown....that is pretty bad.

AZChiSoxFan
05-11-2005, 06:34 PM
The White Sox do use the term "Chisox". The MLB site for the White Sox was and still is chisox.com and there was the Chisox kid's club a few years ago. The term "Chitown" is NOT used by anyone who lives in Chicago!!!

There was a posting about this same topic about a week ago. There were some pretty passionate comments.

Except for John Candy in the movie "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles."
"Our tickets are only good to St. Louis. St. Louis to Chitown is tighter than Tom Thumb's ***."

ChiSoxRowand
05-11-2005, 07:02 PM
I don't mind the name. I just hate when people call the Red Sox the "Sox".

The Racehorse
05-11-2005, 09:59 PM
who reads espn?

Not like I used to. I've reduced my ESPN browsing to next to nothing.

In fact, my time spent watching, reading, and listening to anything ESPN related has been reduced to near zero.

It's tiring waiting around for them to give the SOX an appreciable amount of airtime... from the moves that Kenny made this past off season to the team having the best record in MLB... the biggest act in town should have been paying attention, but had other stories more compelling to cover.

... ESPN had me for a long time, but no more. I've moved on and will not be coming back [like before].

Oh yeah... I don't particularly care for the ChiSox phrase.

chisox
05-12-2005, 09:59 AM
ahahha. this is why i love this site.

having gone to college in nyc, i've had this arguement many times before. i mean, just look at the uniforms, the team from boston has a shirt that says 'redsox', the team from the southside says 'sox'. but ultimatley you just have to accept it a regional linguistic difference. we say 'pop', they say 'soda'. we say, 'get in line', they say, 'get on line', 'sub'/'hoagie', etc.
i think the best way to diffrenciate, as someone else already pointed out, is by accent.

and about using the term 'chitown'. i tend to agree with that. but i will use "the chi" every once in a while. but let's be honest here, how many of you guys ACTUALLY live in Chicago city limits?

go saaaaax.

ondafarm
05-12-2005, 10:04 AM
As long as this topic has been broached, how does everyone feel about the designation 'CHA' which appears on such places as the Yahoo Sports section? I actually talked to a Yahoo editor once and mentioned that most Chicagoans consider it a slight. He said "Who cares? That's just fly over territory!" I was about to smack him in the mouth but thought better of it, so I accidently stepped on his foot instead.

jackbrohamer
05-12-2005, 10:05 AM
I've never had any feelings towards "chisox." What I hate are abbreviations used on various scoreboards, "CHA" and "CHW."

chisox
05-12-2005, 10:10 AM
'cha' just doesn't even make sense...

nebraskasox
05-12-2005, 10:15 AM
'cha' just doesn't even make sense...

I interpret as "CHicago American league". Cubs would be CHN.

SSN721
05-12-2005, 10:25 AM
and about using the term 'chitown'. i tend to agree with that. but i will use "the chi" every once in a while. but let's be honest here, how many of you guys ACTUALLY live in Chicago city limits?

go saaaaax.

Quite a few posters here I would say, including myself. Just look at the locations above post count.

MIgrenade
05-12-2005, 10:36 AM
ChiTown is pretty bad and I don't much agree with "the Chi" either but I've never actually heard that said. I'm not from the city but I can recognize when something isn't right and my old roommate used to say ChiTown and he's from the burbs. I really wanted to kick him in the face.

chisox
05-12-2005, 10:37 AM
the cha– chicago american league– thing still wouldn't make sense. i mean, if you were watching an indians game and the other team was chi, what kind of moron would think it was the cubs? In nyc they differenciate it like this, nyy and nym.

D. TODD
05-12-2005, 10:50 AM
I have no problem with Chi-Sox. There are two teams with Sox in M.L.B., if you are going to refer to either without the Red Or White, an abbreviation of their city is fine with me. Now, if you live in or around Chicago or Boston then it is unnecessary in most cases. The term Chi-town, I do not hear that often, but I have heard people say I'm from the Chi quite a bit, especially in hip hop. I defiantly hear Indianapolis referred to more as Nap-town then Chicago as Chi-town, though.

AZChiSoxFan
05-12-2005, 10:53 AM
Well, at least the Diamondbacks have it right. They played the Red Sox in two exhibition games right before the season started, and of course they play the Sox in June in Chicago. On the D-backs schedule, the Red Sox are listed as BOS and the Sox are listed as SOX.