PDA

View Full Version : Foulke this

Fenway
05-11-2005, 04:03 PM
When Keith blows a save it's not pretty

K. Foulke relieved M. Myers - E. Durazo struck out swinging - B. Kielty walked - S. Hatteberg grounded into fielder's choice, B. Kielty out at second - M. Scutaro doubled to deep center, S. Hatteberg to third - K. Ginter singled to center, S. Hatteberg and M. Scutaro scored - J. Clark ran for K. Ginter - E. Byrnes homered to deep left, J. Clark scored

NSSoxFan
05-11-2005, 04:10 PM

K. Foulke relieved M. Myers - E. Durazo struck out swinging - B. Kielty walked - S. Hatteberg grounded into fielder's choice, B. Kielty out at second - M. Scutaro doubled to deep center, S. Hatteberg to third - K. Ginter singled to center, S. Hatteberg and M. Scutaro scored - J. Clark ran for K. Ginter - E. Byrnes homered to deep left, J. Clark scored

Same ol' Keith.

Fenway
05-11-2005, 04:19 PM
Same ol' Keith.

He just got the win :smile:

Bot 9th: Boston - J. Varitek homered to deep right, D. Ortiz scored

Boston just owns Oakland

maurice
05-11-2005, 04:36 PM

:?: Describe a "pretty" way to blow a save?

There's degrees of ugly (e.g., "Latroy Hawkins hitting a baserunner's helmet" ugly), but a BS is always ugly. Such is the life of a MLB closer.

SoxSpeed22
05-11-2005, 04:45 PM
:?: Describe a "pretty" way to blow a save?

There's degrees of ugly (e.g., "Latroy Hawkins hitting a baserunner's helmet" ugly), but a BS is always ugly. Such is the life of a MLB closer.1,2,3 inning with 2 K's and a popout, or 9 pitches, 3 K's.

soxfan26
05-11-2005, 04:46 PM
1,2,3 inning with 2 K's and a popout, or 9 pitches, 3 K's.

I've been studdying for an exam since 5AM so you're going to have to explain to me how recording 3 out can get you a BS?? :?:

mcfish
05-11-2005, 04:47 PM
1,2,3 inning with 2 K's and a popout, or 9 pitches, 3 K's.That would be a pretty way to get a save. He asked about a pretty way to BLOW a save.

soxfan26
05-11-2005, 04:48 PM
That would be a pretty way to get a save. He asked about a pretty way to BLOW a save.

Thanks mcfish. :D: I thought I had let Intermediate Accounting drive me insane! :(:

Fenway
05-11-2005, 04:53 PM
Clement should be 5-0 but instead Foulke gets the win.

Baseball is a funny game:smile:

HomeFish
05-11-2005, 04:58 PM
I think that giving up solo shot in a 1-run game is a pretty clean blown save.

jackbrohamer
05-11-2005, 05:36 PM
He doesn't blow them very often

Fenway
05-11-2005, 05:38 PM
He doesn't blow them very often

He didn't blow one in St Louis last October :smile:

SoxSpeed22
05-11-2005, 05:41 PM
That would be a pretty way to get a save. He asked about a pretty way to BLOW a save.whoops. I have exams too. Make good pitches, be bloopers and bad defense. That way, nobody blames the closer.

Ol' No. 2
05-11-2005, 06:12 PM
Clement should be 5-0 but instead Foulke gets the win.

Baseball is a funny game:smile:That's why they call it a BS-win.

Palehose13
05-11-2005, 06:20 PM

Ahhhhh...some things never change. :wink:

JoseCanseco6969
05-11-2005, 06:34 PM

oh we know...we really do know! but then hell be lights out..
difference this year is he is plain brutal. what 2 BS, 3 losses, over 7 ERA. yikes!

AZChiSoxFan
05-11-2005, 07:00 PM
Thanks mcfish. :D: I thought I had let Intermediate Accounting drive me insane! :(:

Not to worry, accounting WILL drive you insane, in due time!!

FarWestChicago
05-11-2005, 09:10 PM
He just got the win :smile:

Bot 9th: Boston - J. Varitek homered to deep right, D. Ortiz scored

Boston just owns OaklandIt was a rough day for two of the FOBB Favorite closers. And the second day in a row for Blowtel. :D:

gosox41
05-12-2005, 01:01 PM
Same ol' Keith.

I don't get that. He had a bat outing but has overall been very successful.

Bob

batmanZoSo
05-12-2005, 04:33 PM

You got that right. When it rains it pours with that guy, he just goes all out. I still have nightmares of him jerking his head to watch a hanging changeup turn into a mammoth 3-run shot then, the seeing him walk off the field all sweaty looking like the deer-in-headlights. Actually, that sounds a lot like last night. :cool:

maurice
05-12-2005, 04:57 PM
:kukoo:

Yeah, Foulke's nothing like those good closers who never blow any saves.

TDog
05-13-2005, 12:39 PM
Yeah, Foulke's nothing like those good closers who never blow any saves.

I read the Rolaids relief stats yesterday. Foulke has two blown saves this year. Nathan has one blown save, involving an unearned run. The Sox have four blown saves as a team, but I believe only one of those was in a ninth-inning situation. I can only recall that game against Cleveland. Sox blew a save opportunity in the 7th Tuesday in Florida. Honestly, I don't remember what the other blown saves were.

Guillen may have saved the Sox from some blown saves. Scary ninth innings when the pitcher who came in for the save has to be bailed out by a pitcher who ends up getting the save (not mentioning any names here) don't count as blown saves, even if for those pitchers they are opportunities missed. If Manuel had yanked Koch in that July 4, 2003, game against Tampa Bay, Sox might have won (maybe the division) and people wouldn't continue to keep stressing over that blown save in multiple threads almost two years later.

SOXSINCE'70
05-13-2005, 01:37 PM
Same ol' Keith.

That changeup must make Blow Sawx fans want to throw up,
the same way White Sox fans felt in 2001 AND 2002. :D: :D:

maurice
05-13-2005, 02:19 PM
the same way White Sox fans felt in 2001 AND 2002. :D: :D:

Speak for yourself. Nothing about his 2.33 ERA and 42 saves in 45 chances made me want to throw up.

maurice
05-13-2005, 02:40 PM
From ESPN.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=2059431&num=2):
Foulke is one of the best bets in any bullpen to right the ship because he's been one of the most consistent relievers of all time. He has run off six straight seasons of at least 65 appearances and a sub-3.00 ERA. Want to guess how many other relievers in history have ever done that? How about zero.

FarWestChicago
05-13-2005, 05:31 PM
From ESPN.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=2059431&num=2):LOL, quoting the Tabloid. All credibility gone. :cool:

maurice
05-13-2005, 07:29 PM
I know Foulke killed your dog, West . . . but the fact remains that 6 straight seasons with 65+ appearances and a sub-3.00 ERA is really, really good.

Then again, he never could throw as hard as Billy Koch. :wink:

Have a nice weekend.

FarWestChicago
05-13-2005, 08:18 PM
Then again, he never could throw as hard as Billy Koch. :wink: What does Billy Koch have to do with you losing all credibility by quoting the Tabloid? :?:

fquaye149
05-14-2005, 01:45 AM
What does Billy Koch have to do with you losing all credibility by quoting the Tabloid? :?:

you're my hero west.

TDog
05-14-2005, 02:38 AM
Through yesterday's games, Foulke had allowed more home runs than any other AL reliever. If Foulke were closing for the Sox and gave up six home runs -- through mid-May -- people around here would be screaming.

Some people don't agree with me, but there are very few great relievers. There are guys who have great seasons, but most great closers aren't great for more than a couple of seasons.

StillMissOzzie
05-14-2005, 02:57 AM
IMHO, the problem with saves is that they aren't a very good indicator of effectiveness. Consider these two extreme cases:
Closer A, who comes into the game in the 9th with a 3 run lead, allows two runs, leaves the base juiced before getting the 3rd out.
Closer B comes in with a 1 run lead, bases already juiced, and retires the side without allowing a run.
Both closers are awarded a save, but clearly Closer A did not pitch nearly as effectively as Closer B to get one. And it seems to me that Foulke has performed a lot more like Closer A this year - not very effective, but getting a save.

SMO
:gulp: