PDA

View Full Version : Alfonso Marquez and David Bell

Jjav829
05-11-2005, 11:39 AM
Did anyone see this last night? David Bell struck out looking and in anger he threw his bat back toward the dugout and start walking out toward the field (it was the 3rd out). So what does Marquez do? He tells Bell that he's going to be fined for throwing the bat! Naturally, David Bell goes nuts and is ejected from the game. It was a ridiculous move by Marquez though. He shouldn't be telling Bell that he's going to be fined right then and there. Marquez should be reprimanded for this.

maurice
05-11-2005, 12:22 PM
I didn't see it, but it's not unusual for an ump to reprimand a player on the spot, especially something along the lines of "go pick that up or you're getting tossed." It sounds like the ump thought that the player was trying to show him up and/or arguing balls and strikes non-verbally.

soxfan26
05-11-2005, 01:04 PM
I think in that situation Marquez clearly provoked Bell. He was blowing off steam and walking away from home plate.

I disagree with a player being fined for throwing a bat, at least one that doesn't hit anyone. But if you're going to fine a player for it anyway, what are you trying to prove by rubbing it in his face? Especially when he was as charged up as Bell was.

In many cases I think players show their asses arguing with the umps, but watching that clip last night I think Bell deserves a badge of restraint for not knocking Marquez out.

Ol' No. 2
05-11-2005, 01:13 PM
Did anyone see this last night? David Bell struck out looking and in anger he threw his bat back toward the dugout and start walking out toward the field (it was the 3rd out). So what does Marquez do? He tells Bell that he's going to be fined for throwing the bat! Naturally, David Bell goes nuts and is ejected from the game. It was a ridiculous move by Marquez though. He shouldn't be telling Bell that he's going to be fined right then and there. Marquez should be reprimanded for this.I think the league might be surprised to find that Alfonso Marquez is now deciding who gets fined and who doesn't.