PDA

View Full Version : Comments on D.J.'s play by play for the last 2 games.

Dice
05-11-2005, 10:10 AM
Is there anybody here besides me getting sick of D.J.'s butt-kissing of Robin Ventura? I mean come on! I'm tired of hearing how Robin did this and Robin did that and showing Ventura stats every other inning. Listening to Ventura I think he's getting tired of it also.

I though I'd be the last person to say this BUT I hope Hawk comes back REAL SOON! D.J. without Hawk is like corn flakes without the milk.

mikehuff
05-11-2005, 10:13 AM
It's very noticeable and getting pretty annoying.

Anyone notice Ventura's tan? He's just as dark as DJ.

Baby Fisk
05-11-2005, 10:13 AM
DJ's a nerd. It's so bad it's funny. But if he were announcer for another team, it would be annoying as hell.

BRDSR
05-11-2005, 10:15 AM
DJ's a nerd. It's so bad it's funny. But if he were announcer for another team, it would be annoying as hell.

If he were an announcer for another team I'd never have to listen to him. As it is, he's annoying as hell.

SoxFan78
05-11-2005, 10:16 AM
DJ is just brutal. He should be fired just for his stupid home run call. I think a good match would be Hawk and Robin Ventura.

tschneid83
05-11-2005, 10:18 AM
I would not mind seeing hawk and robin in the booth. I enjoy DJ's love for the sox but he stinks big time. Always giving the wrong stats, has to correct himself all the time and this is just not the last two games. He talks enough when he is not doing the play by play, these last two have been horrible. Been tempted to turn on Rooney and Farmer but i have to listen to it online so the delay stinks.

CPditka
05-11-2005, 10:32 AM
I would like to apologize if I offended anyone, I am not accusing DJ of said action (see roadhouse) . I have only heard a/many RUMORS.

I still stand by the fact it wouldnt hurt Robin to throw on a Comcast shirt, or Sox apparel.

Once again, I apologize.

Palehose13
05-11-2005, 10:38 AM
I would like to apologize if I offended anyone, I am not accusing DJ of said action (see roadhouse) . I have only heard a/many RUMORS.

I still stand by the fact it wouldnt hurt Robin to throw on a Comcast shirt, or Sox apparel.

Once again, I apologize.

Um...do Hawk and DJ usually wear Comcast or Sox apparel? Hawk may wear a hat, but beyond that I usually recall them wearing polo shirts. I didn't see either announcer last night, but the way you describe Robin is hardly scruffy, IMO.

CPditka
05-11-2005, 10:42 AM
I would say the proper word to describe Robin last night was disheveled (sp?). He wore a very casual button down shirt, like something you would see a 16 year old kid wearing at the mall. I'm just saying that if your trying to break into broadcasting, looking professional wouldnt hurt. DJ for all his faults was wearing a comcast polo. They dont always show the broadcast team (or I miss it) but I normally see Hawk/DJ wearing either station identification apparell or White Sox apparell.

tstrike2000
05-11-2005, 10:55 AM
DJ's just one of those guys where he's naturally laid back and quiet where he has to make an effort to be outgoing and funny since it's not his normal nature. He's picked up so much goofy humor from Hawk that he tries to use it, but it sounds misplaced like his home run call. It does get so bad it's funny. For the most part though I like DJ because he's just one of those guys that at least he tries, as bad as sometimes it can sound.

mweflen
05-11-2005, 11:37 AM
DJ needs to tell Robin to pull away from the mic a little bit. DJ will be talking along, very laid back, quiet, and then Robin is like a close-talking heavy breather into the mic.

I've enjoyed their games though, more than Don Pall, and personally I like DJ's quirky humor. He's a dweeb, to be sure. But it's funny.

LVSoxFan
05-11-2005, 11:45 AM
I don't know why everybody hates DJ so much. I don't mind him. Yeah, he's a geek, but there's never a point during the game when I'm yelling at the TV: "Shut UP!"

Personally I would like somebody more fiery in there than the sycophantic DJ and Hawk--the Jimmy Piersall days come to mind--but that's not gonna happen under JR.

Robin Ventura is okay, although I liked the guy who was before him. An absolute amateur and he has no voice for TV, but that almost made him more appealing.

BTW, why is there a delay on a radio Sox broadcast? That sucks. What, is Janet Jackson performing? Makes no sense--on a call-in show, sure, but a sportscast?

mccoydp
05-11-2005, 11:47 AM
DJ is brutal. He seems :?:.

South Sider
05-11-2005, 11:53 AM
DJ is just brutal. He should be fired just for his stupid home run call. I think a good match would be Hawk and Robin Ventura.

The worst part of it.
Yesterday he "surprised" us with his "Uh Oh" twice ....only to see Rowand fly out and another ball just went for a double (without scoring a run later) :angry: :angry: :angry:

The Racehorse
05-11-2005, 12:17 PM
Imo, the interaction between DJ & Robin is worse than the interaction between DJ & The Pope... and that's saying something. As much as I like Robin, he's as dry as a James Bond martini that's been sitting in the Sahara Desert sun for the entire summer... compelling DJ to ramble on ad nauseum because he's talking more so than usual.

With The Pope, at least you had a nerd bantering with a dork... but at least it was interaction.

Other than that, DJ is fine. :redneck

petekat
05-11-2005, 12:24 PM
agree with you here...DJ has come a long way- he's geeky but knows the game and has a relaxed style that takes a while to get used to-- but is much better than the useless banter you hear on Fox--- like McCarver who's constantly yapping and as a result, contradicting himself with every other statement

I don't know why everybody hates DJ so much. I don't mind him. Yeah, he's a geek, but there's never a point during the game when I'm yelling at the TV: "Shut UP!"

Personally I would like somebody more fiery in there than the sycophantic DJ and Hawk--the Jimmy Piersall days come to mind--but that's not gonna happen under JR.

Robin Ventura is okay, although I liked the guy who was before him. An absolute amateur and he has no voice for TV, but that almost made him more appealing.

BTW, why is there a delay on a radio Sox broadcast? That sucks. What, is Janet Jackson performing? Makes no sense--on a call-in show, sure, but a sportscast?

Lip Man 1
05-11-2005, 12:50 PM
Donn Pall fills in...5 straight wins....

Robin Ventura fills in.... 2 straight losses...

Hmmmm

Lip

chisox
05-11-2005, 01:07 PM
Lip Man, i was going to make the same point. I've been watching the games on mlbtv.com.

At first i thought there was something wrong with the volume on my computer whenever Robin spoke, my speakers would shake. But beyond his delivery, Robin just isn't a very good commentator. After a while his, "Well when I played with/got sucker punched by/faced him," stories get reeeeal tired.

I've been pleasantly surprised by DJ. I like his laid back approach and I feel like his commentary is more informative than a straight-up play-by-play call.

Frank the Tank
05-11-2005, 01:16 PM
DJ is absolutely brutal. His "Uh-oh" home-run call is about as annoying as Ronnie Woo-Woo. Does anybody know when his contract expires?? I don't think Tom Paciorek is doing anything these days....why not bring him back?

The past seven games really make one appreciate the Hawk more.

LVSoxFan
05-11-2005, 01:57 PM
After a while his, "Well when I played with/got sucker punched by/faced him," stories get reeeeal tired.

*****!

:bandance:

JoseCanseco6969
05-11-2005, 02:18 PM
DJ being brutal has just been amplified during these last 6 games without a Hawk to take care of him. Robin has done a decent job and Pall was sub-par. we need a FIRE DJ tag ASAP!

soxrme
05-11-2005, 02:38 PM
Move DJ to radio, keep Ventura or Paul and got Farmer out of here immediately. Unfortunately I listen to the radio, I really like Rooney but Farmer is the worst play by play guy in the business.

SpammySosa
05-11-2005, 03:50 PM
I don't think you guys are seeing the bright side:Could you imagine if we had to listen to DJ and Farmer together?:o:

In regards to the Pope VS. Robin,I guess I am in the minority in thinking Donn Paul did better.Not only was he a little more enthusiastic than Robin,but more insightful as well. Could it be that Robin's standing as a fan favorite makes people judge his announcing less critically? I won't try to sell either of them as great analysts,but definitely was more impressed with Donn.And all DJ has proven is that he is equally bad at PBP as he is as a color analyst.

Infallible
05-11-2005, 05:09 PM
Dj's good relief. I find him highly amusing and I think its about high time to get off DJ's back. Fer Chriyieyie you people thinking "wimpy" was the greatest thing since sliced bread obviously don't recall when he first started with the sox....

HawkDJ
05-11-2005, 07:47 PM
Am I the only one who really liked Robin? He's got a great, dry, self depricating sense of humor. And if he just learns to say more than "nice play" or "That's a tough play" when analyzing, I think he'd be really good.

MILTMAY5
05-11-2005, 11:38 PM
DJ is absolutely awful! I hope management realizes just how vital Hawk is to the broadcast and never allows this to happen again. I enjoyed Robin's analysis and think he has real potential. Does anybody else think Hawk-Jeff Torborg would be awesome in the booth together? FIRE DJ NOW!

Chisox003
05-11-2005, 11:39 PM
DJ's a stud

I havent gone an inning without laughing at one of his dumb comments....Its even better when Hawk's there

JohnBasedowYoda
05-12-2005, 12:36 AM
turn down the tv and turn up the john and ed

TomParrish79
05-12-2005, 01:24 AM
DJ's the man, he has me rolling with his comments.

seanpmurphy
05-12-2005, 01:54 AM
I don't think you guys are seeing the bright side:Could you imagine if we had to listen to DJ and Farmer together?:o:

In regards to the Pope VS. Robin,I guess I am in the minority in thinking Donn Paul did better.Not only was he a little more enthusiastic than Robin,but more insightful as well. Could it be that Robin's standing as a fan favorite makes people judge his announcing less critically? I won't try to sell either of them as great analysts,but definitely was more impressed with Donn.And all DJ has proven is that he is equally bad at PBP as he is as a color analyst.

Nah dude I liked Donn better too. No real reasoning, just found it more enjoyable, and that's all that counts really. You can't make all of the people happy all of the time!

TomParrish79
05-12-2005, 02:30 AM
I only got to hear Robin for 4 innings of the opening game of the series, the other two games, my MLB extra innings package forced me to listen to the Devil Rays booth.

MUsoxfan
05-12-2005, 02:38 AM
Robin makes me laugh (in a good way). Hopefully he works DJ out of a job...

petekat
05-12-2005, 02:27 PM
jah, Farmer the domer is soooo annoying. Rooner and DJ could work, maybe Hawk and Evil Stoney

Move DJ to radio, keep Ventura or Paul and got Farmer out of here immediately. Unfortunately I listen to the radio, I really like Rooney but Farmer is the worst play by play guy in the business.

Fenway
05-12-2005, 02:45 PM
D.J. is not a trained play by play man so what did you expect?

Don't be *shocked* if you see Hawk doing color next year and a nuts and bolts play by play guy come in. That is what the suits in Philadelphia would perfer, and it isn't a knock on Hawk. He was one of the best colormen in the game when he was with the Red Sox and his early days with Chicago with Drysdale.

batmanZoSo
05-12-2005, 02:52 PM

This is DJ's sixth year in the booth and it still seems like he's a rookie. It's amazing. He's an agreeable chap and all and doesn't say overtly stupid things like a Joe Carter, but I just don't think he's cut out for broadcasting.

wdelaney72
05-12-2005, 03:52 PM
D.J. is not a trained play by play man so what did you expect?

Don't be *shocked* if you see Hawk doing color next year and a nuts and bolts play by play guy come in. That is what the suits in Philadelphia would perfer, and it isn't a knock on Hawk. He was one of the best colormen in the game when he was with the Red Sox and his early days with Chicago with Drysdale.

I disagree. This will not happen. Hawk's play-by-play "catch phrases" are too popular. Uncle Jerry has enough PR problems. This would upset a lot of people, although from a purist standpoint, Hawk is a much better color analyst than PBP.