PDA

View Full Version : Mike Scioscia Comments on Twins' Rincon And Steroids

mikehuff
05-11-2005, 10:50 AM
I got this from the rumor mill section of cbssportsline.com. This is a hell of a quote and a great point. I never thought of this. Good job Mike!

There could be some additional tension when Twins reliever Juan Rincon pitches next against the Angels, especially after comments made by Los Angeles manager Mike Scioscia. Complaining that Rincon got only 10 days for violating steroid policy, Scioscia told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune: "If Juan Rincon comes back and pitches 11 days from now, are the effects of the steroids going to deteriorate to where his talent is back to his God-given level? No. He'll have the benefit of whatever steroids he took. I guarantee you, in 10 days, Juan Rincon does not become a mere mortal. I think he'll still be throwing the ball pretty good with enhanced chemicals."

Chicago83
05-11-2005, 01:08 PM
That's a really good point and another reason why the steroid policy needs to be changed. At least a month for the first offense.

Ol' No. 2
05-11-2005, 01:11 PM
I got this from the rumor mill section of cbssportsline.com. This is a hell of a quote and a great point. I never thought of this. Good job Mike!

There could be some additional tension when Twins reliever Juan Rincon pitches next against the Angels, especially after comments made by Los Angeles manager Mike Scioscia. Complaining that Rincon got only 10 days for violating steroid policy, Scioscia told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune: "If Juan Rincon comes back and pitches 11 days from now, are the effects of the steroids going to deteriorate to where his talent is back to his God-given level? No. He'll have the benefit of whatever steroids he took. I guarantee you, in 10 days, Juan Rincon does not become a mere mortal. I think he'll still be throwing the ball pretty good with enhanced chemicals." False logic. The test was probably conducted in spring training. The likelihood that it's giving him any advantage now is practically nil.

soxfan26
05-11-2005, 03:23 PM
False logic. The test was probably conducted in spring training. The likelihood that it's giving him any advantage now is practically nil.

That is assuming he stopped taking it before or during ST.

Irishsox1
05-11-2005, 06:11 PM
There is some logic to what Scioscia is saying, but the fact is that 10 games for steroids is a joke. The guy should be gone 1/4 of the season or 41 games at a minimum.

munchman33
05-11-2005, 06:41 PM
False logic. The test was probably conducted in spring training. The likelihood that it's giving him any advantage now is practically nil.

It's not easy to lose muscle once you gain it.

Ol' No. 2
05-11-2005, 06:47 PM
It's not easy to lose muscle once you gain it.Generally, relievers don't use steroids to bulk up. That's the last thing they want. They use them to shorten the recovery time between outings.

jackbrohamer
05-11-2005, 06:55 PM
I agree totally with Scioscia's comments. Rincon is a cheater and deserves to be mocked by opponents for having cheated. And regardless of the reasons he took steroids, if he took them for any length of time his body is different now than it would be if he had not taken them.

Jurr
05-12-2005, 10:09 AM
Generally, relievers don't use steroids to bulk up. That's the last thing they want. They use them to shorten the recovery time between outings.
This is pretty true. Yes, the muscle mass that one attains with steroid use is easily maintained with workouts. However, the ligaments (connect bone to bone) and tendons (muscle to bone) don't get the chance to grow enough to compensate for the added size and force the muscles produce. This is where the juice has its other effect.

A number of steroids counteract inflammation in these areas, and that would be the key to the continued use of them.

I still think that a number of injuries will keep occurring as players lay off of steroids due to this muscle/tendon imbalance.