PDA

View Full Version : If Dye and Paulie don't start hitting...

chaerulez
05-11-2005, 07:28 AM
Would you like it if KW decided to trade a top prospect to land Huff from the D-Rays? Or if the Yankees tank (which I believe their latest winning streak is nothing) what if Matsui comes on the market? As good as the team has been, I don't think we can go on with 2 guys in the middle of the order that are flirting with the Mendoza line. Plus Dye's defense has not been good at all, and we were all expecting him to be a much better defender than Mags.

balke
05-11-2005, 07:38 AM
I doubt Matsui would be on the market. He's a big time money maker, and obviously one of their better players. Huff was born in Tampa, and is the biggest name Tampa has, on a team that's actually competing and has some good young players. I'd take him on the team, but really don't see him leaving the D-Rays.

I'm very upset with Dye's play. All he had to do was outplay Maggs in the field... which should be easy for him. Instead he has 4 errors and looks horrible at the plate. Kenny has his hands full with this one.

I think our best option to fix RF would either be Anderson or Everett. I don't know if either will happen. "Experts" are muttering about Frank coming back and "He better be a team player" and all that slime. Frank WILL be our DH when he comes back regardless of what anyone thinks. I think we'll see Everett in RF or LF, and Dye will have to compete for playing time. I don't know how to fix 1B or the OF with trades. Maybe Kenny will though.

Sad
05-11-2005, 07:40 AM
in the meantime it'd be nice if Everett would start hitting the ball also... this 1 for 5, 1 for 4 stuff is getting old... :angry:

downstairs
05-11-2005, 08:12 AM
Well, don't forget we already have a hall-of-fame hitter on the way in Frank Thomas.

Obviously we don't know how well he will do, but I think you have to hedge your bets on that before you start talking trade.

Paulie and Dye *should* be doing better, and injuries are not an excuse... but any time the middle of the lineup chokes, I take it with a grain of salt because we're missing who should be our best guy.

I think Ozzie just needs to kick Paul and Dye in the seat and get them moving.

05-11-2005, 08:35 AM
I think Dye will be on the bench today...Paulie could use a day off before a big 4 game series with Balt, but who can play first for 9 innings with Gload on the DL (don't say Ozuna)

Frater Perdurabo
05-11-2005, 08:39 AM
The Sox need TWO middle of the lineup hitters right now. Frank will be one of them. Hopefully, his lineup presence will allow at least one among Dye and Everett to get their heads out of their rear ends. If Konerko continues to blow, the only solution is to pursue a guy like Aubrey Huff, who is left-handed and can play 1B, 3B, RF and LF. If the Sox are serious about this season, they cannot afford a repreat of 2003 from Konerko.

voodoochile
05-11-2005, 08:42 AM
The 3-7 guys in general are struggling at the moment. Tough to score runs when that is the case. Frank will definitely help because guys hitting in front of and behind him will start seeing better pitches. No guarantees they do anything with them, but it cannot hurt.

tschneid83
05-11-2005, 08:49 AM
I dont care if dye and paulie hit .100 as long as each one of those hits has an RBI attached to it. Paulie got walked 3 times yesterday and i am not sure if he saw 2nd or 3rd base any of those times (dont remember how many outs or anything but still...). But at the same time if he is able to take 3 walks that means he is relaxed and waiting for his pitch which he did not get. Plus paulie was under the radar last year when he hit 41 dingers. I guarantee if you ask anyone besides a sox fan how many HR's he hit last year they would say low 30's if that. This year people had a chance to look at his numbers and realize how dangerous he can be so he must become more selective and pick his pitches. As for Dye, he just needs to relax sit back on some pitches and put them in right center like he used to. If the pitcher screws up and tosses that fastball up and in then let the fans catch it.

It is a long season and the bats will get there, patience, patience, patience...

mikehuff
05-11-2005, 08:53 AM
What's keeping Timo out of RF right now? Hasn't he earned the right to be out there? Or at least, hasn't Dye lost the right to be out there?

TheOldRoman
05-11-2005, 09:17 AM
The Sox need TWO middle of the lineup hitters right now. Frank will be one of them. Hopefully, his lineup presence will allow at least one among Dye and Everett to get their heads out of their rear ends. If Konerko continues to blow, the only solution is to pursue a guy like Aubrey Huff, who is left-handed and can play 1B, 3B, RF and LF. If the Sox are serious about this season, they cannot afford a repreat of 2003 from Konerko.
More importantly, they cant squander a lot of games in the first half of the season just waiting for guys like Konerko and Dye to get hot. If Konerko isnt hitting is weight by the end of the month, KW needs to get Huff immediately and cut ties with Paulie. I like him, but we cant play him every day for most of the season when he is hitting under .200 just to hope he will catch fire at some point. KW plans on winning a world championship this year, and I dont think he will give Konerko any more than another month.

daveeym
05-11-2005, 09:22 AM
More importantly, they cant squander a lot of games in the first half of the season just waiting for guys like Konerko and Dye to get hot. If Konerko isnt hitting is weight by the end of the month, KW needs to get Huff immediately and cut ties with Paulie. I like him, but we cant play him every day for most of the season when he is hitting under .200 just to hope he will catch fire at some point. KW plans on winning a world championship this year, and I dont think he will give Konerko any more than another month. Man coulda sworn the Sox still had the best record in the game. :kukoo:

mikehuff
05-11-2005, 09:29 AM
More importantly, they cant squander a lot of games in the first half of the season just waiting for guys like Konerko and Dye to get hot. If Konerko isnt hitting is weight by the end of the month, KW needs to get Huff immediately and cut ties with Paulie. I like him, but we cant play him every day for most of the season when he is hitting under .200 just to hope he will catch fire at some point. KW plans on winning a world championship this year, and I dont think he will give Konerko any more than another month.
The problem is what you're going to do with Konerko. I don't think Tampa would have any use for him. Where's he going to go?

TheOldRoman
05-11-2005, 09:35 AM
Man coulda sworn the Sox still had the best record in the game. :kukoo:
They do. Did you even read the entire post? Konerko is hurting the team right now. So is Dye. If they continue to blow, KW will have to address 1B and RF within the next month. If you have a pair of .200 hitters in your lineup everyday, it will catch up to you eventually no matter how good your pitching is. I still think the Twins are playing over their heads right now, but they are a good team. People on this board bitched about Crede all offseason that "3B is a power position, we cant have a .240 hitter there". Well, 1B is certainly more of a power position than third, and we have a .200 hitter there now. The Sox cannot afford to sit around and hope that Konerko gets hot in the second half, and KW knows that. We won't win the division with a pair of Mendoza line hitters in our lineup everyday for the entire year.

TheOldRoman
05-11-2005, 09:37 AM
The problem is what you're going to do with Konerko. I don't think Tampa would have any use for him. Where's he going to go?
Tell him to grab some bench until he gets his head out of his butt. Actually, you could still get him some playing time. Huff could start most games at first, give Crede a few off days a week, play left for Pods and play a game or two a week in right for Dye/Everett. While it would be rough sitting $8mil on the bench in Konerko, KW would eat that contract to help the team win.

Ol' No. 2
05-11-2005, 09:39 AM
More importantly, they cant squander a lot of games in the first half of the season just waiting for guys like Konerko and Dye to get hot. If Konerko isnt hitting is weight by the end of the month, KW needs to get Huff immediately and cut ties with Paulie. I like him, but we cant play him every day for most of the season when he is hitting under .200 just to hope he will catch fire at some point. KW plans on winning a world championship this year, and I dont think he will give Konerko any more than another month.By that I assume you wouldn't mind trading Brandon McCarthy for him? Or is this another Willie Harris + Joe Borchard trade idea?

:chickenlittle Get a grip.

TheOldRoman
05-11-2005, 09:43 AM
By that I assume you wouldn't mind trading Brandon McCarthy for him? Or is this another Willie Harris + Joe Borchard trade idea?

First of all, I dont think it would take McCarthy to get Huff. I am speaking hypothetically about the possibility that Konerko is having 2003 de ja vu, and has a horrible year. If he is still hitting .200 a month from now, would you sit on your hands if you were the GM?

infohawk
05-11-2005, 09:59 AM
I've got to think that Konerko and Dye will rebound. Paulie's 9 homers have thus far made his offensive contribution somewhat respectable. I am most worried about Dye. More because of his defense lapses than his offense. He just seems distracted or something. I am surprised because he comes with the reputation of being a good fielder. What gives?

I still like this line-up better than the past several seasons. This team is not dependent of the middle of the order. The Sox lost on Tuesday because of wild pitching, not for want of runs. The bottom of the order came up big. Still, I agree that the middle of the order has been consistently bad.

If Frank returns hitting like Frank can, don't be surprised to see Everett moved to right in place of Dye. Everett won't make spectacular plays, but he will make the plays he needs to make. He goes into slumps now and again, but always busts out of them. Plus, he provides a lefty bat.

Barring injury, I don't see the Sox making a move for an everyday position player. I think they will look to add a power-arm to the bullpen. Come September, I expect McCarthy to be called up to pitch out of the bullpen as well (unless he needs to start at some point because a starter is injured). Imagine a bullpen with Hermanson closing, Marte setting up from the left and Vizcaino from the right, with McCarthy, Cotts and Politte handling sixth and/or seventh inning duties. Shingo would probably become a situational guy. That is an amazingly strong bullpen. The addition of a power arm would make it almost unstoppable.

tschneid83
05-11-2005, 10:13 AM
Carl Everett - 25
Paulie - 23
Dye - 12
Rowand - 10

I would be more worried about rowand and dye than i would paulie and dye. As i mentioned before paulie seems to realize he is sturggling and is going back to the basics like waiting for his pitch, even saw him put one in right center. I realize he is doing horrible but has the 2nd most RBI's on the team so he appears to be doing something right even with a .200 avg. Rowand is the one i was upset about he should be at least .270 with 20 RBI's and 5 HR's by now.

daveeym
05-11-2005, 10:26 AM
By that I assume you wouldn't mind trading Brandon McCarthy for him? Or is this another Willie Harris + Joe Borchard trade idea?

The Cubs are tanking so I'd trade them the ghost of Shoeless Joe Jackson (since it would add to their loveable curses) and a bucket of pre chewed sunflower seeds for D. Lee.

Frater Perdurabo
05-11-2005, 10:27 AM
Carl Everett - 25
Paulie - 23
Dye - 12
Rowand - 10

I too have concerns about Rowand. However, he's not making $8 million, he's not flirting with the Mendoza line, and the RBI totals have a lot to do with the fact that he's coming up to bat with nobody on base!

tschneid83
05-11-2005, 10:30 AM
good point about no one being on base. well then he better start putting himself on base then.

Ol' No. 2
05-11-2005, 10:34 AM
Carl Everett - 25
Paulie - 23
Dye - 12
Rowand - 10

I would be more worried about rowand and dye than i would paulie and dye. As i mentioned before paulie seems to realize he is sturggling and is going back to the basics like waiting for his pitch, even saw him put one in right center. I realize he is doing horrible but has the 2nd most RBI's on the team so he appears to be doing something right even with a .200 avg. Rowand is the one i was upset about he should be at least .270 with 20 RBI's and 5 HR's by now.Agreed. As much as Pauly is struggling, he's tied for the team lead in BB, his OPS is just under .800, and he's just two behind Everett for the lead in RBI. I guess now Konerko has become the official whipping boy.

kittle42
05-11-2005, 10:35 AM
Speculative trade threads suck.

Frater Perdurabo
05-11-2005, 10:42 AM
People on this board bitched about Crede all offseason that "3B is a power position, we cant have a .240 hitter there". Well, 1B is certainly more of a power position than third, and we have a .200 hitter there now. The Sox cannot afford to sit around and hope that Konerko gets hot in the second half, and KW knows that. We won't win the division with a pair of Mendoza line hitters in our lineup everyday for the entire year.

Old Roman is exactly right about Crede and Konerko. Crede damn near got crucified by people because he was hitting .240 last year. Konerko is batting .200 right now and has, apart from his home runs, sucked all year. At this point, based on results, you almost have to consider moving Crede to #3 - so he can bat with guys on base - Everett to cleanup and Paulie #5.

I don't hate Paulie - I want him to hit .350 with 50 homers, for goodness sake! But I can't stand it when his apologists make excuse after excuse for him and fail to see that apart from hitting two homers in Buehrle's gem last month and two homers in Toronto, he's been terrible this year!

Kenny, make a deal today with the Rays and take Huff home with you!

Ol' No. 2
05-11-2005, 10:48 AM
Old Roman is exactly right about Crede and Konerko. Crede damn near got crucified by people because he was hitting .240 last year. Konerko is batting .200 right now and has, apart from his home runs, sucked all year. At this point, based on results, you almost have to consider moving Crede to #3 - so he can bat with guys on base - Everett to cleanup and Paulie #5.

I don't hate Paulie - I want him to hit .350 with 50 homers, for goodness sake! But I can't stand it when his apologists make excuse after excuse for him and fail to see that apart from hitting two homers in Buehrle's gem last month and two homers in Toronto, he's been terrible this year!

Kenny, make a deal today with the Rays and take Huff home with you!This fixation on Aubrey Huff is starting to remind me of the Cubs' obsession with Fred McGriff a few years ago.

MIgrenade
05-11-2005, 10:50 AM
Who is this Chris Singleton character? He beat the hell outta us, let's get him for Dye!

shaunburnette
05-11-2005, 10:51 AM

Kenny, make a deal today with the Rays and take Huff home with you!

I like the idea of switching the order up. Something like that might take a little off Paulie's mind and get him going again. He is such a streaky hitter it sickens all of us but when it is going good we can ride that guy through multiple games. The season is still young, I think he will be ok. For now, mix up the lineup. Do something to get A-Row going as well.

There is no way possible that we are taking Huff home with us.

kittle42
05-11-2005, 10:53 AM
Let's trade for Bobby Higginson!

Jjav829
05-11-2005, 10:53 AM
This fixation on Aubrey Huff is starting to remind me of the Cubs' obsession with Fred McGriff a few years ago.

Huh? :?: How?

Fred McGriff was washed up but the Cubs wanted to let him get his 500 HRs. Huff is one of the more underrated players in the game. He's much younger, playing on a crappy franchise, and is likely to be a target of any team looking for offense (the Dodgers supposedly would like to get Huff to play 3B).

Ol' No. 2
05-11-2005, 11:04 AM

Fred McGriff was washed up but the Cubs wanted to let him get his 500 HRs. Huff is one of the more underrated players in the game. He's much younger, playing on a crappy franchise, and is likely to be a target of any team looking for offense (the Dodgers supposedly would like to get Huff to play 3B).Because from the tone of a lot of these posts there seems to be a general belief that if the Sox can just get Aubrey Huff all of their problems will be solved. There will be a number of good players available as the summer goes on. Aubrey Huff isn't even the best of the bunch. Not to mention that people seem to think they can get him for a couple of A-level prospects.

mikehuff
05-11-2005, 11:11 AM
Because from the tone of a lot of these posts there seems to be a general belief that if the Sox can just get Aubrey Huff all of their problems will be solved. There will be a number of good players available as the summer goes on. Aubrey Huff isn't even the best of the bunch. Not to mention that people seem to think they can get him for a couple of A-level prospects.

I agree with you here. Don't forget about Konerko. I don't think anybody is going to take him in a trade with a .200 average and a half of a year left. I'm curious to see how this problem will work out.

DaleJRFan
05-11-2005, 11:19 AM
I am a big Huff fan, whether or not he ends up on the Sox.. thing is, he's not exactly tearing the cover off of the ball this season, which makes me re-think my whole "trade for Huff now" mindset. Konerko is a much better defensive 1B than Huff, not that he is a liability in the field either. PK will start to hit, I am not worried about that. What I don't understand is why PK is still hitting cleanup when he continues to strike out with men on. Move him down, take the pressure off and move him back up when he returns to form.

The 3-7 guys need to start playing to their potential. They just aren't getting it done right now, but I still think it is too early to make hasty trades, if ya ask me. But I'll stick by my "Huff or Helton, please" proclamations.

I also hope that Kenny has a backup plan for Thomas. What happens if he comes back and stinks? What happens if the Big Hurt comes back and is nagged by that ankle and can't produce like we need him to? Hopefully Kenny has a few ideas for moves to get a ringer for the big August run.

Go KW! :cool:

mdep524
05-11-2005, 11:21 AM
I agree with you here. Don't forget about Konerko. I don't think anybody is going to take him in a trade with a .200 average and a half of a year left. I'm curious to see how this problem will work out. There's still a good chance that Paulie will turn it around. If the Sox aren't sold on it, I'm sure one of the other 28 teams in the league is. Remember, Carlos Delgado was sucking big time last year but was still highly coveted around trade deadline time.

tschneid83
05-11-2005, 11:22 AM
you play paulie and dye everyday and well we dont really have another choice. I am pretty sure, and i could be wrong but i dont think they are going to be any better sitting on the bench. Plus if you want to trade him like a lot of you are saying (which is not smart) then he needs to start hitting better cause like a few have mentioned no one will take him and if they do we wont get anything out of it.

mikehuff
05-11-2005, 11:27 AM
This is definitely bad for Paulie's chances of staying on the Sox next year. I wouldn't imagine that KW and JR would be too happy to put a contract together for a guy who looks like he's going be drastically wavering in his abilities year to year. If this lasts much longer it will be a guarantee that we will have a new first baseman in 2006.

DaleJRFan
05-11-2005, 11:29 AM
This is definitely bad for Paulie's chances of staying on the Sox next year. I wouldn't imagine that KW and JR would be too happy to put a contract together for a guy who looks like he's going be drastically wavering in his abilities year to year. If this lasts much longer it will be a guarantee that we will have a new first baseman in 2006.

ROSS GLOAD! What happened to that guy... why isn't he playing?

mikehuff
05-11-2005, 11:47 AM
ROSS GLOAD! What happened to that guy... why isn't he playing?

Gload's been on the DL with a sore left shoulder. This was in the Trib today...

First baseman-outfielder Ross Gload said his left shoulder felt fine after testing it in pregame drills.

Gload was eligible to come off the disabled list Tuesday, but no target date has been set for his return.

With Gload out, Guillen said he would even use outfielder Timo Perez at first base if needed in an emergency. Perez said he played briefly at first during his five seasons in Japan. ...

voodoochile
05-11-2005, 11:53 AM
I am a big Huff fan, whether or not he ends up on the Sox.. thing is, he's not exactly tearing the cover off of the ball this season, which makes me re-think my whole "trade for Huff now" mindset. Konerko is a much better defensive 1B than Huff, not that he is a liability in the field either. PK will start to hit, I am not worried about that. What I don't understand is why PK is still hitting cleanup when he continues to strike out with men on. Move him down, take the pressure off and move him back up when he returns to form.!

Who else you going to put there? At least Paulie occasionally jacks one out of the park so you are better having him in the cleanup slot than someone who isn't hitting for average OR power.

Until Frank comes back the Sox are stuck.

Frater Perdurabo
05-11-2005, 11:59 AM

Fred McGriff was washed up but the Cubs wanted to let him get his 500 HRs. Huff is one of the more underrated players in the game. He's much younger, playing on a crappy franchise, and is likely to be a target of any team looking for offense (the Dodgers supposedly would like to get Huff to play 3B).

Great points, Jjav!

Moreover, rumour has it that Tampa Bay sees Huff as expendable. Gee, you think that might have something to do with his .264 average so far this season?

If you don't accept that explanation, based on his 3-year splits, he's a slow starter as April has been his worst month. Every other month his montly OPS never dipped below .833 (other than his 11 October at-bats) and his average never dipped below .287.

Huff's also an AL hitter. He's accustomed to the AL pitchers and is a consistent .300 - 30HR hitter who's left-handed and makes less than $5M per year, signed for 2006 and can play multiple positions. What's not to like, especially when the current Sox 1B is hitting .200 and earning $8M!

JB98
05-11-2005, 12:47 PM
I have a different take on this situation than others posters do.

First of all, Ross Gload is not a long-term answer. He isn't even healthy right now. Let's put that out of our minds.

Second, PK is not seeing anything to hit because he has no protection in the lineup. Regardless of what the WSI intelligencia think, PK is the one hitter in our lineup that opposing pitchers fear. Other teams are not going let PK beat them. He is seeing very few fastballs and very little to hit. End result: He takes a walk, or gets himself out by swinging at a bad pitch.

Third, the return of a healthy Frank Thomas would solve our middle-of-the-order woes.

Fourth, whereas Frank isn't back yet, I'd suggest the following. Put Rowand third, keep PK fourth, put Everett fifth. This would get A-Row more fastballs to hit. They wouldn't want to walk him with PK on deck, especially since A-Row is a stolen base threat. Also, people would have to pitch to PK more often, knowing that a veteran RBI man like Everett is waiting in the on-deck circle.

Bottom line: Rowand and Dye's struggles are not helping Konerko at all. Rowand is mixing in a few hits, but he's not driving the ball. Most of his hits are singles. Dye is a non-factor. If I'm an opposing pitcher, why would I throw a strike to Konerko? I see Paul just getting more and more frustrated. Ozzie isn't going to shake up the lineup yet, but I'd be tempted to pull the trigger if I were him.

mrwag
05-11-2005, 01:01 PM
I'd rather package up Willie and Dye for just about anything positive, maybe a shortstop prospect. Then bring up one of the stud OF's and wait for Frank's return.

I think all that we need is a slight re-adjusting of the line-up, since we've had 1-1/2 months to see what the team is made of. Nothing drastic, just a little shuffle.

No, the sky isn't falling, but maybe mgmt needs to do a little "tinkering" to make sure it doesn't start falling.

chaerulez
05-11-2005, 06:10 PM
What kind of worries me is that if Dye keeps struggling bad, there might not be a good corner outfielder on the market this year. Let's assume the standings stay the same and the last place teams have a firesale...

Tampa- Huff can play RF, but we've had our discussion about him.
KC- Somehow, I don't think Matt Stairs will make a difference...
Seattle- Ichiro is off limits I'm assuming and Winn is solid but you have to have at least 1 power guy in the OF.
Philly- I don't think Abreu will be on the market either.
Cincy- They do have a log jam at OF, but I don't want Kearns or Griffey. Dunn is not going to be traded either. I wouldn't mind Wily Mo... but his BB-SO is pretty bad.
Colorado- They're playing a young OF, so I don't think they'll be trading either corner OF.

maurice
05-11-2005, 06:16 PM
What kind of worries me is that if Dye keeps struggling bad, there might not be a good corner outfielder on the market this year.

That's unlikely. Besides, there's a fellow named Brian Anderson sitting in Charlotte with a .322 AVE / .945 OPS waiting for his name to be called.

MIgrenade
05-11-2005, 06:32 PM
Bottom line: Rowand and Dye's struggles are not helping Konerko at all. Rowand is mixing in a few hits, but he's not driving the ball. Most of his hits are singles. Dye is a non-factor. If I'm an opposing pitcher, why would I throw a strike to Konerko? I see Paul just getting more and more frustrated. Ozzie isn't going to shake up the lineup yet, but I'd be tempted to pull the trigger if I were him.

What kinda bothers me is that Ozzie doesn't make any changes in the lineup the he knows they are struggling. Shaking things up for a game or two doesn't hurt, why not try it?

Ditka311
05-11-2005, 07:11 PM
I have a different take on this situation than others posters do.

First of all, Ross Gload is not a long-term answer. He isn't even healthy right now. Let's put that out of our minds.

Second, PK is not seeing anything to hit because he has no protection in the lineup. Regardless of what the WSI intelligencia think, PK is the one hitter in our lineup that opposing pitchers fear. Other teams are not going let PK beat them. He is seeing very few fastballs and very little to hit. End result: He takes a walk, or gets himself out by swinging at a bad pitch.

Third, the return of a healthy Frank Thomas would solve our middle-of-the-order woes.

Fourth, whereas Frank isn't back yet, I'd suggest the following. Put Rowand third, keep PK fourth, put Everett fifth. This would get A-Row more fastballs to hit. They wouldn't want to walk him with PK on deck, especially since A-Row is a stolen base threat. Also, people would have to pitch to PK more often, knowing that a veteran RBI man like Everett is waiting in the on-deck circle.

Dead on. I am new here but not to baseball. I can't believe how many knee-jerk reaction trade threads I have seen. Especially about Huff. What makes everybody think that they will part with him? It's going to cost a lot and we are talking about pitching. Tampa's offense is pretty stacked and they have young guns in the minors ready soon (Upton, D. Young, etc). What they lack is pitching.

Granted, Paulie is a double play waiting to happen when he steps up to the plate but I agree with the above post. Why give him anything to hit when you can pitch around him? On the plus side, he has been hitting the ball hard lately. Before Crede got going, what was he doing? He was hitting the ball hard but nothing was falling. Now they are.

The fact that we have this record with limited offense is astounding. I am just waiting for the bats to heat up too, since the pitching can't possibly be as solid as it has been so far.