PDA

View Full Version : At least Hunter and Bruce got it too

MUScholar21
05-10-2005, 05:54 PM
Negative: Ozzie Guillen and Joe Crede were fined by Major League Baseball for their actions and ejections in the Oakland series on April 27.

Positive: Neither Guillen or Crede will be suspended for these actions.

ULTRA Positive: Both Hunter Wendelstedt and Bruce Froemming, the umpires involved in both ejections in that series, have (according to Bruce Levine) been disciplined by Major League Baseball for their actions and inciteful language in the altercations in Oakland.

Levine said we won't hear anything official (apparently they don't announce the disciplining of umpires) but that the White Sox will know.

Does anyone else worry this will be more fuel to the fire that is Hunter's hatred of Ozzie Guillen?

Ol' No. 2
05-10-2005, 05:59 PM
Negative: Ozzie Guillen and Joe Crede were fined by Major League Baseball for their actions and ejections in the Oakland series on April 27.

Positive: Neither Guillen or Crede will be suspended for these actions.

ULTRA Positive: Both Hunter Wendelstedt and Bruce Froemming, the umpires involved in both ejections in that series, have (according to Bruce Levine) been disciplined by Major League Baseball for their actions and inciteful language in the altercations in Oakland.

Levine said we won't hear anything official (apparently they don't announce the disciplining of umpires) but that the White Sox will know.

Does anyone else worry this will be more fuel to the fire that is Hunter's hatred of Ozzie Guillen?Wendelstadt and Froemming are two of the worst umpires in MLB. They've had problems with other teams, too, and I'm sure this isn't the first complaint. Both are likely on thin ice. I'd assume the league will be watching the next time they umpire games involving the Sox. Go ahead, Hunter. Make my day.

chisox2005
It most likely will, but it looks like Major League Baseball is at least keeping an eye on things and if they see anything out of the ordinary happen to the Sox they will act on it.

owensmouth
Maybe Wendelstadt and Froemming will take the free time to go get fitted for some glasses.

NorthlakeTom
05-10-2005, 06:03 PM
Does anyone else worry this will be more fuel to the fire that is Hunter's hatred of Ozzie Guillen?

Hopefully, Wendelstedt will think twice the next time he's calling a Sox game.

Then again, I know idiots who have been fined thousands of dollars for blowing red lights, and they still drive like maniacs.

Time will tell. I hope the league was strict in their admonishment of Wendelstedt and Froemming.

samram
05-10-2005, 06:05 PM
Wendelstadt and Froemming are two of the worst umpires in MLB. They've had problems with other teams, too, and I'm sure this isn't the first complaint. Both are likely on thin ice. I'd assume the league will be watching the next time they umpire games involving the Sox. Go ahead, Hunter. Make my day.

Do they still have those surveys of players which rate umpires? I always found those interesting.

Also, how often do umpires get fired for incompetence? It doesn't seem as if it happens very often and I think young Wendelstedt would be at the top of the list if they did get fired for it. Chuck Merriweather would also be gone. So would Joe Brinkmann, if only because he thinks everyone is watching him, with that super-delayed strike call- it drives me nuts.

Daver
05-10-2005, 06:10 PM
Do they still have those surveys of players which rate umpires? I always found those interesting.

Also, how often do umpires get fired for incompetence? It doesn't seem as if it happens very often and I think young Wendelstedt would be at the top of the list if they did get fired for it. Chuck Merriweather would also be gone. So would Joe Brinkmann, if only because he thinks everyone is watching him, with that super-delayed strike call- it drives me nuts.

The umpires union is controlled from Bud Selig's office. He has final say on all umpire decisions, and has since he broke their union three years ago.

Brian26
05-10-2005, 07:27 PM
This is terrific news, and it looks like it was worth the times of those involved who actually formally made a complaint to Selig's office.

batmanZoSo
05-10-2005, 10:26 PM
This is terrific news, and it looks like it was worth the times of those involved who actually formally made a complaint to Selig's office.

Well I'm sure his paper shredder gave them a good once over and told him the gist of it. It certainly didn't hurt, though. This is good news, I'll never forget that crap.

Viva Medias B's
05-10-2005, 10:31 PM
After what Froemming once said about a female MLB official a few years back, I'm surprised he still has a job.

IowaSox1971
05-11-2005, 02:21 AM
That umpiring crew should not work any more White Sox games. It is obvious that the crew has some issues with the White Sox, so the chances of it calling White Sox games objectively are pretty remote.

dickallen15
05-11-2005, 08:28 AM
Maybe Wendelstadt and Froemming will take the free time to go get fitted for some glasses.

I think the days of Bruce Froemming getting fitted for anything are long gone.

Johnny Mostil
05-11-2005, 05:53 PM
From whitesox.com:

A report out of the White Sox's flagship radio station in Chicago stated that both manager Ozzie Guillen and third baseman Joe Crede will be fined for their actions and ejections from a ninth-inning incident in Oakland on April 27. Neither individual will be suspended.
The report went on to state that Major League Baseball disciplined both umpires Hunter Wendelstedt and Bruce Froemming, who were involved in the pair of ejections, for their handling of the incidents.

Anybody know what of "their handling of the incidents" caused MLB to "discipline" the umpires?

nasox
05-11-2005, 06:27 PM
From whitesox.com:

Anybody know what of "their handling of the incidents" caused MLB to "discipline" the umpires?

For swearing at the top of their lungs and for being douches by warning the sox twice while six of our batters got plunked and for being douchebag umpires who carry grudges.:rolleyes:

Johnny Mostil
05-11-2005, 06:29 PM
For swearing at the top of their lungs and for being douches by warning the sox twice while six of our batters got plunked and for being douchebag umpires who carry grudges.:rolleyes:

Oh, that . . .

ode to veeck
05-11-2005, 06:29 PM
good to hear it

AZChiSoxFan
05-11-2005, 06:40 PM
The umpires union is controlled from Bud Selig's office. He has final say on all umpire decisions, and has since he broke their union three years ago.

The umps broke the union themselves with that great decision to all resign.

Foulke You
05-11-2005, 06:43 PM
Here's hoping we don't get Froemming or Wendelstadt in any of the Twins series or even the Cubs series for that matter. Those guys are just plain awful.

NUCatsFan
05-12-2005, 07:33 PM
My dad said that he heard this on the Sox pregame on the radio, but I can't seem to find any information out there about it. Can anyone confirm it?

Brian26
05-12-2005, 07:36 PM
Yes, we talked about it yesterday. He and Froemming were fined and disciplined (although MLB won't go public with it). The White Sox were informed that disciplinary action has been taken, and both of these clowns are currently on probation. As well they should be.

Lip Man 1
05-12-2005, 10:29 PM
According to a story by Mark Gonzales of the Tribune this morning MLB is saying they are investigating both umpires. His story does not say any action was taken... for what it's worth.

Lip

hawkjt
05-13-2005, 02:55 PM
MLB should avoid any future problems this year by not scheduling these guys for the Sox. I certainly do not want them back there in any important games and hey they are all important. You know that Bruce has a long memory and would find a way to extract revenge on the sox.

Brian26
05-13-2005, 04:27 PM
According to a story by Mark Gonzales of the Tribune this morning MLB is saying they are investigating both umpires. His story does not say any action was taken... for what it's worth.

Lip

That's not what Chicago's True Baseball Insider (tm) said. LeVineline's got the scoop.

FWIW, I think there's a lot of redemption in the fact that MLB is even "investigating" it.