PDA

View Full Version : Getting to the ballgame early

ChicagoHoosier
05-10-2005, 04:27 PM
What time do you get to the ballgame if you want to watch BP? I have no idea when Sox or the visitor's BP takes place. I'm going Sunday and Monday and may go early to one of the games. Usually, the only time I go early is to tailgate, but just was curious what you guys do and how early you get there.

I did get to Opening Day at least an hour early and I think the Tribe was just wrapping up BP or already had (can't remember now).

LVSoxFan
05-10-2005, 04:29 PM
Two hours before if I'm not mistaken.

Ol' No. 2
05-10-2005, 04:30 PM
What time do you get to the ballgame if you want to watch BP? I have no idea when Sox or the visitor's BP takes place. I'm going Sunday and Monday and may go early to one of the games. Usually, the only time I go early is to tailgate, but just was curious what you guys do and how early you get there.

I did get to Opening Day at least an hour early and I think the Tribe was just wrapping up BP or already had (can't remember now).They open the gates 90 min before game time. The Sox take BP first, so if you get there when the gates open, you might catch the tail end of it.

IlliniSox
05-10-2005, 04:34 PM
Also,

When do you have to get there to get a seat on the fan deck? Or is that all rented out now? I wanted to sit up there Thursday.

itsnotrequired
05-10-2005, 04:38 PM

I did get to Opening Day at least an hour early and I think the Tribe was just wrapping up BP or already had (can't remember now).
Out of all the times of gotten there right when the gates open, I have yet to see the Sox taking BP. Perhaps it has just been bad luck. Best bet is on days where the game starts at 7:05 PM. Opponents take BP an hour and 20 minutes before the game. If you get there right when the gates open and run to the field, you might catch a glimpse. For other start times, opponents have already started BP once the gates open and the Sox are sitting in the clubhouse eating buffet and playing video games.

BRDSR
05-10-2005, 04:41 PM
Thsi is actually one of my biggest complaints(I don't have very many) about White Sox Baseball experience. I would love to catch some White Sox BP but it's almost impossible. I believe I've seen White Sox players taking batting practice about 3 times over about 100 games, and I'm not one of those people who, if he shows up for the national anthem, is lucky. I almost always get to the park significantly early and rarely see Sox BP. It would be awesome if the Sox would take BP second or they'd open the gates half an hour earlier.

SOX ADDICT '73
05-10-2005, 05:32 PM
It would be awesome if the Sox would take BP second.
This has always puzzled me, but wouldn't it make more sense for the Sox to have BP second, since they'll be batting second? The way things are, it seems like the visiting team, having just taken BP, would be more "warmed-up" in the top half of the first, while the Sox, being further removed time-wise from their BP, would be colder in the bottom half. Or, is there sufficient time between the visitors' BP and the start of the game that there's really no advantage either way?

Sox of White
05-10-2005, 05:39 PM
This has always puzzled me, but wouldn't it make more sense for the Sox to have BP second, since they'll be batting second? The way things are, it seems like the visiting team, having just taken BP, would be more "warmed-up" in the top half of the first, while the Sox, being further removed time-wise from their BP, would be colder in the bottom half. Or, is there sufficient time between the visitors' BP and the start of the game that there's really no advantage either way?

Very good point, i have wondered this as well.

Also, last wednesday against the Royals I arrived as the gates were opening. We went in right then, and as I caught a glimpse of the field, the Sox of White were leaving, and the Royals were taking the field. I just missed the end of batting practice, and I could not have gotten in any sooner.

ilsox7
05-10-2005, 05:42 PM
About 15 years ago, when we had season tickets, our ticket representative met us a few hours before a game to let us in early and watch the Sox take BP. If you're a season ticket holder, give it a shot. I was about 10 and it was a real thrill.

kevingrt
05-10-2005, 06:09 PM

Just to let you know they don't always take BP on Sundays. Just warning you in advance... usually though, bout 75% of the time.

Brian26
05-10-2005, 07:31 PM
I'm not sure what year they changed this. I remember going to several games in the summer of '96 and getting in right when the doors opened (at the time, they would open two hours before the game....so basically 5pm). The Sox were already taking BP and would continue until 5:30 or so, and then the visiting team would take BP after that. You could go to the first row of the bleachers, and the Sox pitchers would be in the outfield and would toss balls up to fans.

C-Dawg
05-10-2005, 07:32 PM
I think the only times I've seen the Sox taking batting practice was when I followed them to Detroit, Minnesota, KC, etc. I almost always get to the park when they first open the gates and I think I have missed them at the Cell every time.

chisoxfanatic
05-10-2005, 11:38 PM
Also,

When do you have to get there to get a seat on the fan deck? Or is that all rented out now? I wanted to sit up there Thursday.

Like the Bullpen Sports Bar terrace, the Fan Deck fills up on a first-come, first-serve basis. Unlike the BSB, you don't have to pay to go up there.

DumpJerry
05-11-2005, 12:33 AM
I'm thinking that maybe the Sox take BP before the gates open so that they can concentrate on BP without having fans yelling at them for autographs, photos, hot dates, housekeeping tips, sage advice, investment tips, etc.

Perhaps we should do this to the visiting teams to break their concentration.....:smile:

BainesHOF
05-11-2005, 02:01 AM
The Sox always took batting practice last and fans would be able to watch...until Thomas complained about it. The Sox changed the schedule to accommodate the big baby.

It doesn't even make sense from the team's standpoint. You should want to hit closer to the game. You don't want to take batting practice and infield, then sit around for 45 extra minutes.

mike squires
05-11-2005, 05:23 AM
I don't ever recall the Whitesox taking batting practice first. Where did you hear that frank complained?

doogiec
05-11-2005, 06:11 AM
The Sox always took batting practice last and fans would be able to watch...until Thomas complained about it. The Sox changed the schedule to accommodate the big baby.

It doesn't even make sense from the team's standpoint. You should want to hit closer to the game. You don't want to take batting practice and infield, then sit around for 45 extra minutes.

The White Sox have been taking batting practice first at home for as long as I can remember (late 60's). I've been to a lot of games at other parks as well, and I've never seen a home team take BP last.

A few years ago, the Sox experimented with opening the park 30 minutes earlier to allow fans to see the end of BP. I was told by my ticket rep that they discontinued that because the number of fans was very small and the cost of staffing the park with security, ushers etc for that number of fans was unrealistic. Of course the media blamed Thomas, which makes no sense because he could have easily just taken BP first and been off the field before the gates open anyway.

Of course, Sox fans should always believe and repeat what they read in the local media, despite what common sense tells you.......