PDA

View Full Version : Los Medias Blancas

LoganSox
05-10-2005, 05:09 PM
íHola Amigos!

Long time reader, new poster...been a Sox fan since 1999 when I moved to Chicago. I grew up a Cardinals fan in upstate NY (and Cubhater) from strange family obligations, got outta baseball fandom after the strike, but then when I moved to the city I couldn't help get back into it when faced with so much local coverage and daily boxscores...and I took a quick liking to Jose Valentin's game, and became a serious fan through the 2000 season. Now I bleed black&white.

Anyway, I got an unusual question. I happen to be learning spanish, and I read Hoy when I can on the trains to work...following beisbol in espanol is it's own challenge, figuring out all the jargon (outfielders are jardineros, or gardeners if translated back)...and of course, all the teams have their own spanish names.

I thought it would be cool to find some "Los Medias Blancas" merch...thinking that would be a sweet jersey...but I haven't even found a t-shirt.

Does the organization or MLB discourage promoting the spanish language names for the teams? Considering the potential latin fanbases, this seems nuts, especially since it's just more stuff the hardcore would want to collect.

Anyways, if anyone knows if such merch exists, I'd be interested...or if you had any insight into this.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-10-2005, 05:18 PM
I think that as far as the mlb goes is providing alternate radio broadcasts in spanish for some teams and news articles. Personally i'm suprised that some company doesn't do shirts or something, like those guys that sell the unique t-shirts outside of the games.

In my own opinion they are the White Sox, in english. Just as i think that you should learn english upon arriving in this country and that doesn't matter what part of the globe you are from. I used to work at ups and worked with a group of about 25 people. only 5 spoke english fluently and it was impossible to communicate with the others.

logansquaresox
05-10-2005, 05:22 PM
Hey LoganSox! Great to see another fan from the most excellent neighborhood of Logan.

maurice
05-10-2005, 05:46 PM
The Sox have very many Spanish-speaking fans. Many of them live outside of the United States and date back to the days of Minnie Minoso and Chico Carrasquel. I don't care whether they speak English.

mweflen
05-10-2005, 05:46 PM
:lurkers

woo hoo! twice in one day.

Welcome :smile:

daveeym
05-10-2005, 05:51 PM
íHola Amigos!

Long time reader, new poster...been a Sox fan since 1999 when I moved to Chicago. I grew up a Cardinals fan in upstate NY (and Cubhater) from strange family obligations, got outta baseball fandom after the strike, but then when I moved to the city I couldn't help get back into it when faced with so much local coverage and daily boxscores...and I took a quick liking to Jose Valentin's game, and became a serious fan through the 2000 season. Now I bleed black&white.

Anyway, I got an unusual question. I happen to be learning spanish, and I read Hoy when I can on the trains to work...following beisbol in espanol is it's own challenge, figuring out all the jargon (outfielders are jardineros, or gardeners if translated back)...and of course, all the teams have their own spanish names.

I thought it would be cool to find some "Los Medias Blancas" merch...thinking that would be a sweet jersey...but I haven't even found a t-shirt.

Does the organization or MLB discourage promoting the spanish language names for the teams? Considering the potential latin fanbases, this seems nuts, especially since it's just more stuff the hardcore would want to collect.

Anyways, if anyone knows if such merch exists, I'd be interested...or if you had any insight into this. I highly doubt such merchandise exists. Soccer fans don't have English-ized jerseys of latin american teams, I always have to ask, "hey, what crappy soccer team is that?"