PDA

View Full Version : Converting. Anyone here convert someone lately?

Hangar18
05-10-2005, 03:38 PM
Two buddies of mine, who are long-time followers of the Sox, are
now on board. They'll be at the game with me Thursday and my niece.
Any recent converts?

JohnBasedowYoda
05-10-2005, 04:03 PM
My cousin is sorta on the way to converting. He was a flubs bandwagon jumper after they made the playoffs. I worked him down to being "a chicago fan" and should have him full on southside soon. Trick is just bring them to a game and just tailgate and have fun. Can't do that at wrig.

Also another cousin of mine is becoming a sox fan (he previously wasn't interested in baseball), We went to a game last year and he loved it.

I think that if the Sox keep it up and the cubs continue to lose we'll gain back all the people that switched in the 80's or whatever. I'm referring to when the cubs started overtaking the sox per attendance.

Nice to see ya hangar, haven't been around in a while

converted
05-10-2005, 04:05 PM
Any recent converts?

My three younger brothers are official! I bought them their White Sox Pride wristbands, and they wear them with pride! :D: Apparently I have more influence
over them than my older, not wiser, cub-loving sister! They are dying to go to more games. Other than that, one of my brother's buddies decided to move to the southside bandwagon after his "beloved" cubs began playing so horribly.

cbrownson13
05-10-2005, 04:13 PM
My best friend is a Cubs fan. He has been going to Sox games with me for years and does cheer for them, unless they are playing the Cubs. I overheard him telling someone that it's hard not to be a Sox fan when you go to more Sox games than Cubs games. He also likes the make-up of the team and isn't afraid to criticize the Cubs. I don't think he'll ever be a a die hard Sox fan and I don't ever think he'll stop being a Cubs fan, but it is an improvement.

logansquaresox
05-10-2005, 04:18 PM
I converted him last year. I think it would be pretty hard to live with me and not end up a Sox fan. :wink: He now hates the ursa minor with a passion that will never die.

Edit:
Perhaps I should clarify. I converted him from not being that interested in baseball to a Sox fan. Hating the sChlUBS was an added bonus. (Or would that be a gift with purchase?)

kittle42
05-10-2005, 04:29 PM
I converted him last year. I think it would be pretty hard to live with me and not end up a Sox fan. :wink: He now hates the ursa minor with a passion that will never die.

It wasn't a conversion, but all I had to do was walk my current girlfriend through Wrigleyville and she became an instant Cub hater.

Infallible
05-10-2005, 04:30 PM
any true fans will never convert.

DSpivack
05-10-2005, 04:50 PM

the Ursa Minor? That's hilarious--why have I never heard that/thought of that before?

Palehose Pete
05-10-2005, 05:28 PM
My parents. Last August. Braves / Sox day game.

LongLiveFisk
05-10-2005, 05:32 PM
any true fans will never convert.

Which is exactly why you're much more likely to see a Cub fan turn into a Sox fan than vice-versa.

WikdChiSoxFan
05-10-2005, 05:33 PM
I converted my girlfriend last season...(she didn't have too much invested in the Cubs to begin with)...but I told her she will always be a half breed!

bigfoot
05-10-2005, 08:14 PM
Don't know if this is a conversion but, I bought my biz partner's 15 month old daughter a Sox flag and Sox stuffed monkey earlier this year. She now parades around her home waving the flag, singing a song while her Dad tries to watch the Blue Ursine lose another game. I sure her mother puts her up to it, she's a BIG fan of Taddy! Tear ol' Dad up to watch his kid going to the enemy. Just wait 'til she receives her Silver and Black Pack stuff in the mail!

I_Liked_Manuel
05-10-2005, 10:10 PM
i want to have nothing to do with 'converting' a cub fan to a sox fan. they are, always have been, and always will be the scum of the earth.

CubsfansareDRUNK
05-10-2005, 10:15 PM
i was just thinking about this. me, my friend, my friend's dad, and my friend's little brother went to a sox game last wednesday. it was everyone (beside's me) first sox game. i got my friends little bro a sox pridewristband and he wore it with pride. he loved the game and it was a great experience for all of us.

fincher
05-10-2005, 10:59 PM
I try to convert but with no success despite my lifelong efforts to spread the gospel. Its a perception thing, really. And I don't care. Sox fans have bragging rights so far this year. But, I would welcome and assist in any conversion.

MERPER
05-10-2005, 11:18 PM
2 buddies of mine in my fraternity are from Memphis and Nashville respecitvely... another is from Dallas... they are all Sox fans now... they love the team, they also liked them last year... they love ozzie, willie (for some odd reason), and representing... they even bought sox shirts and hats...

chisoxfanatic
05-10-2005, 11:18 PM
Any recent converts?

I'll see you at the game Thursday...

My little sister wasn't very difficult to bring up as a Sox fan. She always has looked up to me, and I watched as many Sox games as possible. She'd wanna spend as much time with me, so she'd watch the games as well, and she'd get all excited when I would. I bought her a nice Sox shirt, and she's never looked back...

I even got her to utter the words "Cubs Suck!" Truer words have never come from her mouth!

robiwho
05-11-2005, 09:57 AM
Last year my friend Jason told me that he had never been really committed to either team, but he was leaning towards the Sox. Last week he informed me that he decided to commit to being a Sox fan and he wanted to plan some games together.

I can't help but feel that I played a part in his commitment to Soxdom!

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Palehose13
05-11-2005, 10:02 AM
Yeah...two weekends ago I was at a "mainstream" bar and there was this really cute chick there. I followed her into the bathroom and...Oh wait, you mena SOX converts? My bad. :wink:

Hangar18
05-11-2005, 10:05 AM
i want to have nothing to do with 'converting' a cub fan to a sox fan. they are, always have been, and always will be the scum of the earth.

Whoah. Hang on a second and let me Clarify. I dont mean "Converting" a cub fan to a Sox Fan (Ive seen lots of that over the years though) I mean
just getting someone to like the SOX, regardless of what/who they were into previously. Ive bought Sox hats, trinkets, paraphernalia for people, to
sort of "plant the seed". My younger sister , who isnt into sports at all, but knows of my devotion to the sox, first admitted back in 2003 that she could see what I was talking about, with the Media Bias against the white sox and favoring the other team. She now "sees the truth" and hates that team with a passion, funny because she isnt a baseball fan. It was her hatred that got her to now acknowledge the White Sox and have a passing interest in them. If someone were to ask her which team she likes, she would say she likes the SOX. She better, my niece has tons of white sox stuff already.

Goose
05-11-2005, 11:35 AM
My fiance was born and raised in Canada and she moved to Chicago just over a year ago. Being from Canada, she was never really into baseball. As a proper Sox fan would do, I brought her to as many Sox games as possible when she would come visit me in Chicago and since she has moved here. She now roots for the Sox with almost as much intensity as me...the best part is, at her work, she hears a lot of Cubs "fans" spew out ridiculous stats and "facts" that are obviously incorrect. I am proud to say that, she stands up and corrects them whenever she can support her facts with, well, facts. She has made me proud!

I have also converted my fiance's niece and nephew from Jays fans into Sox fans. They sport their Sox gear in Toronto and are doing their part on the international revolution.

converted
05-11-2005, 03:26 PM

That's a pretty harsh statement!

Hitmen77
05-11-2005, 04:16 PM
I think that if the Sox keep it up and the cubs continue to lose we'll gain back all the people that switched in the 80's or whatever. I'm referring to when the cubs started overtaking the sox per attendance.

I don't think we'll be able to win back many people who turned to the dark side. They already sold their souls and forsake their team for the evil allure of the Blue Bandwagon.

At any rate, they aren't the problem. The Chicago population hasn't remained static over the past 20 years. It's all those people who have moved here since then or who have grown up since then that have been totally brainwashed by Cub fans and the media and haven't even given the Sox a chance. I feel that people from this group that can be "converted". I have never converted anyone myself, but know of several examples of people who became Sox fans after getting fed up with the outrageous Cubs bias in this town. Also, some of these people, given a chance, would realize that - despite what they have been (mis)led to believe - USCF is a great place to watch a game and not a dangerous, empty place where every seat is far from the action.

SluggersAway
05-11-2005, 07:29 PM
Conversion? Shouldn't we call it exorcism?

CubsfansareDRUNK
05-11-2005, 08:17 PM
http://www.eng.buffalo.edu/%7Ehulme/Graphics/lebowski/headband.jpg
So what are you saying? When you get divorced you turn in your library card? You get a new license? You stop being Jewish?

Shoeless Joe
05-11-2005, 08:30 PM
http://www.eng.buffalo.edu/%7Ehulme/Graphics/lebowski/headband.jpg
So what are you saying? When you get divorced you turn in your library card? You get a new license? You stop being Jewish?

What a great movie! This thread also reminded me of that Seinfeld episode when Elaine tried to convert someone of the opposite sex to her side.

Anyways, I was never a big fan of "converters" since most of the time it's not genuine at all. Or in other words the classic "fair-weather-fan". However, if it is the person does genuinely want to change allegiance forever then all the power to them.

CubsfansareDRUNK
05-11-2005, 09:47 PM
What a great movie! This thread also reminded me of that Seinfeld episode when Elaine tried to convert someone of the opposite sex to her side.

i remember that episode

hsnterprize
05-11-2005, 10:29 PM
This isn't a "conversion" per se, but I was able to talk to a man in a Sports Authority store about the Sox in a way that at least got him to think about them.

He was buying some gifts for a wedding party, and the people he was shopping for were "big Sox fans", so we started talking. He didn't say whether he was a Cub fan or not, but I'm guessing based on his responses to some of the things I said that he probably was one. He tried to say the Sox were in a "weak division", and I told him it didn't matter how "weak" the division was if the team was winning games. Not to mention, he agreed with me that if a certain team from the north side of Chicago had as good a win/loss record as the Sox, the hype over that would be overwhelming. I also said that whether the Sox get "national respect" or not, they're not owned by a major media company with it's own hype machine, nor do they play in a ballpark that's more of a tourist attraction than a baseball stadium. He also agreed to that sentiment. After I helped him pick out what he should get for his "guests" (long-sleeved jersey-type turtlenecks with "White Sox" on the neck), I told him good bye and "Go Sox"...to which he chuckled.

I also talked with a manager at the store who said he was originally from Connecticut, and he couldn't understand why U.S. Cellular Field wasn't filled up every day considering the Sox had the best record in baseball. I told him and his associate next to him about the "Sox Attendance" issue, and I think he pretty much understood. Not to mention, Fenway Park is one of the last old baseball parks in the U.S., and the Red Sox pretty much represent the entire New England area (6 States) instead of just one city.

Here's another point...my 3 boys are SOX FANS!!!!! My 3-year-old son is already hooked. He can say "He Gawn", and "You can put it on the board...YES!!!" pretty well. My 1-year-old and I are starting to watch games together, and my 6-month-old got a White Sox bib to show off today. So much for the scripture in Proverbs telling parents to "train up a child in the way he should go, and when he's old, he'll not depart from it." I said that to a friend of mine in church who happens to be a Sox fan, and she was all for it.

seanpmurphy
05-11-2005, 10:37 PM
My girlfriend moved to the 'burbs a few years ago and grew up around the Houston area. She's still an Astros fans, but she follows the Sox pretty well and we're going to a bunch of games this summer. Also, since she's an Astros fan, she hates the Cubs too! Her favorite player is even Iguchi.

It's only a matter of weeks before I have her jumping over the wall and beating up a first base coach

halfpricemonday
05-12-2005, 01:46 AM
My wife is a Cubs fan (she grew up on the North Side), and I've been a Sox fan since I moved here from California in '99. I've given up on trying to convert my wife to the Sox, but I love to scare her with stories about how I'm going to do everything in my power to raise our first kid as a Sox fan.

Trust me, when that kid is born, his or her crib is going to look like the back wall of Grandstand.

And I'm going to have to make an exception for my wife in terms of Cubs fans being the scum of the earth. Sure, she has terrible baseball taste, but in all other respects, she's not half-bad. :D:

MUsoxfan
05-12-2005, 02:22 AM
I converted one guy....and he's an active member of WSI. He's a southsider that was a Cubs fan until Corky cheated and the lemmings were still embracing him. After that, he listened to my words of wisdom and saw the sunlight in Sox fandom. He's nearly as psychotic as myself nowadays

pinwheels3530
05-12-2005, 02:27 AM
My wife converted her whole office to the Sox by getting them to do their company outing at US Cellular this year. Well be doing the pre-game patio party this year at Sept. 2 SOX/Tigers game. They usually do the Cubs, but went with the Sox this year. From what she tells me everyone is excited not only because they are winning, but because the 2hour beer/buffet deal is better than anything the cubs offered at their game. Bottomline these are bandwagon fans but hey .....every fan counts!!

wdelaney72
05-12-2005, 07:45 AM
Due to my influence, my 20 year-old cousin, who is like a little brother to me, is a Sox fan. He lives in Lincoln Park and wears his silver and black with pride.

My wife could care less about baseball, but for the sake of unity in raising our two boys, she replies to the question of fan allegiance, "We're Sox fans". This may seem trivial, but it's quite an accomplishment since her brother and my entire family are all Cub fans. Her dad gets a pass because he lives in Boston, so you know which team he likes.:(:

Becuase their Uncle is a Sox fan, my sister's 8 year-old twins are being raised to cheer for both teams. I make sure they get to USCF once a year. If not for me, they'd be growing up be another one of the lemmings.

My college buddies are all Cub fans, but they cheer for the Sox and go to USCF.

Kuzman
05-12-2005, 07:48 AM
my new girlfriend has become one of the biggest sox fans since ive gotten my hands on her!

SoxFanSince67
05-12-2005, 07:50 AM
My first grandson who is to be born in two weeks will become a Sox fan moments after his birth. Her has a Sox infant outfit and a Sox balnket.

firejauron
05-12-2005, 07:56 AM
I haven't really tried to "convert" anyone but I do go to many Sox games with Cub fans. More often than not, they walk away from US Cellular having had a good experience and being impressed with the park. One of my good friends (Cub fan) remarked how "clean" the park was and enjoyed not being packed in like a sardine.

Palehose13
05-12-2005, 08:03 AM
my new girlfriend has become one of the biggest sox fans since ive gotten my hands on her!
I'm sure Scott Podsednik, Aaron Rowand, Paul Konerko and some others have nothing to do with it. :wink:

ondafarm
05-12-2005, 08:22 AM

I'm thinking electrotherapy might help.

pythons007
05-12-2005, 08:41 AM
I've converted my girlfriend from being a stupid and annoying flubby fan. It might have been from the ultimatum of me breaking up with her if she didn't switch over.:D:

alohafri
05-12-2005, 10:12 AM
My bro and I grew up in the Quad Cities and were Cub fans. Then he moved to Denver and I to Chicago. I became a Sox fan and Bro became a Rockies fan (yet still had room in his heart for the cubs). Then Bro moved to Chicago about 5 years ago and I have been slowly converting him. Mr. Aloha is taking my Bro to the game tonite for his (my bro's) birthday, and that should seal the deal.

Also, this will be the first time my brother has ever been to Sox Park.

---Mrs. Aloha

ma_deuce
05-12-2005, 10:42 AM
I'm thinking electrotherapy might help.

:tealpolice:

"Hey you! Step away from the text color and... Farm, is that you? Jeez, we might as well save some money on gas and park our car in front of your house."

petekat
05-12-2005, 02:19 PM
Cub fans being pretty pigheaded and stubborn. I share Sox season tickets with a bunch of tribune writers, all fed up with their "employer". Apparently, the true city beat reporters who work there, the Guys hanging out at Billy Goat at midnight on deadline, hate the Cubs.

Totally relinquished my Cub season share that I was holding on to for out of towners (except for the Sox series)- double my Sox ticket commitment to a 2/3 of a Sox plan this season

Which is exactly why you're much more likely to see a Cub fan turn into a Sox fan than vice-versa.

Kuzman
05-12-2005, 02:36 PM
I'm sure Scott Podsednik, Aaron Rowand, Paul Konerko and some others have nothing to do with it. :wink:

Oh my god you hit it right on the head. Those boys helped me out in my struggle to get her to see the light. Prior to me she couldnt stand sports and saw no reason for em. Now she sports 2 brand new shirts she aqcuired from the Gift Stands. Looks good on her too!

The_Floridian
05-12-2005, 02:52 PM
I'm going tonight as part of a group of 16.

Among them are a displaced Giants fan (now a Sox supporter), a woman who didn't follow baseball until my wife got a hold of her (and she saw Jon Garland on TV and fell in love), an Edgewater Cubs fan who is nearly converted (he bought a Winning Ugly hat at Grandstand last week), a Cubs season ticket holder and his son (who are considering defecting), along with our usual crew of rabid Sox fans.

wildcat
05-12-2005, 02:57 PM
Oh my god you hit it right on the head. Those boys helped me out in my struggle to get her to see the light. Prior to me she couldnt stand sports and saw no reason for em. Now she sports 2 brand new shirts she aqcuired from the Gift Stands. Looks good on her too!

There was an article in a Milwaukee paper last year about how much Podsednik's presence helped bring in a female fan base. They quoted a guy as saying that his girlfriend only came to watch Podsednik, but it didn't bother him because it meant he got to attend more game. :smile:

Link (http://www.dfw.com/mld/philly/sports/9192890.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp)

BarbG
05-12-2005, 03:30 PM
Ugh...never thought I'd say it but my teenage daughter has fallen for a ::shudder:: Cubs fan...one of those who says, "well, I really don't watch baseball, and I really don't like baseball, but I'd have to pick the Cubs..."

Conversion will be absolutely necessary, however, or he'll never get to first base with her.

Hitmen77
05-12-2005, 04:14 PM
..a ::shudder:: Cubs fan...one of those who says, "well, I really don't watch baseball, and I really don't like baseball, but I'd have to pick the Cubs..." .

If I had a nickel for everytime a "Cubs fan" told me that, I'd be rich!

CPditka
05-13-2005, 03:28 AM
Took a couple of guys from Purdue to the o's game... they loved it.

One of them is Charlie Manuel (current Phil's manager/former Indians Manager)'s nephew. He loved the Sox..(next to the Phil's, for obvious reasons) he said hes calling Uncle Charlie to see if were intrested in a Gio/Cotts/Borchard for Billy Wagner deal. (I proposed it, he said he'd swing it by him).

Jurr
05-13-2005, 05:34 AM
I converted one guy....and he's an active member of WSI. He's a southsider that was a Cubs fan until Corky cheated and the lemmings were still embracing him. After that, he listened to my words of wisdom and saw the sunlight in Sox fandom. He's nearly as psychotic as myself nowadays
Lemmings. I love it.

rdwj
05-13-2005, 08:37 AM
Here is a funny conversion story!

My wife bought a nephew on her side a Sox shirt for his birthday. His parents aren’t really into sports – except golf and tennis. When her aunt saw the shirt, she said, “Sox?!? We’re Cub fans in this house!”

I laughed a little. She never watches or goes to ANY games, and complains when we watch any team sport on television, doesn’t know a ting about the game – yet – “We’re Cub fans in this house!”

Priceless!

Church Turtle
05-13-2005, 08:47 AM
I haven't converted anyone. However, I tried a little persuasion on my 60 year old mother. She plays the piano and has played the organ, at church. So I raved and raved about Nancy Faust after my last trip to the Cell. (Bragging on MLB's best organist isn't really all that hard.) When I explained that she was playing a miriad of songs from "The Wizard of Oz" because the Royals weren't in Kansas (City) any more. My mother said "Ah-hah."

I really don't see her converting. Basketball has always been her sport.

Hitmen77
05-13-2005, 08:50 AM
I haven't converted anyone. However, I tried a little persuasion on my 60 year old mother. She plays the piano and has played the organ, at church. So I raved and raved about Nancy Faust after my last trip to the Cell. (Bragging on MLB's best organist isn't really all that hard.) When I explained that she was playing a miriad of songs from "The Wizard of Oz" because the Royals weren't in Kansas (City) any more. My mother said "Ah-hah."

I really don't see her converting. Basketball has always been her sport.

Maybe you need to take her to Nancy Faust Day on June 22!

TheDarkGundam
05-16-2005, 03:51 PM
My friend was a hockey fan, but after that whole thing, I converted him to the Sox.

thepaulbowski
05-16-2005, 04:21 PM
My brother in-law is moving to Chicago this summer so as his graduation gift we got him a black Sox alternate jersey along with a hat & t-shirt. To top it off, he went to Wrigley last week as part of his senior week at school and he couldn't find one good thing to say about the place.

It looks he did learn something in four years at ND. :cool:

soxGirl14
05-17-2005, 09:41 AM
I've been converted...I grew up down in Texas so I've always loved the Astros and I never really cared for the cubs since they are rivals and just because we moved states I'm not changing teams unlike what my parents did..they claim to be cubs fans just because thats the "cool" team. However, my boyfriend...who is on WSI..SeanMurphy has gotten me into the White Sox! Which I still can root for the Astros and hate the cubs even more!!

My boyfriend has turned me into a monster, lol. I keep buying tickets for more games and now he has got me addicted to WSI

ShoelessJoeS
05-17-2005, 06:17 PM
my girlfriend thought she was a cubs fan her whole life until i took her to The Cell last year. The minute she walked in the memories came back to her of her fond days at Sox park, not the dump on the northside....typical cubs fan huh?