PDA

View Full Version : Wilie Harris Berevement....

Tekijawa
05-10-2005, 01:57 PM
He Traveled to be with is Daughter which is admirable but I read that she is 10? That would make Willie 16 when she was born as he turns 27 in June? Now that's tough!

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/whitesox.asp

mweflen
05-10-2005, 02:00 PM
Willie Harris: Never would have suspected.

http://www.geocities.com/matthewweflen/WILLHILL.JPG

ondafarm
05-10-2005, 02:01 PM
I'm glad he's acting as a responsible parent and glad the White Sox (Guillen) have acted so reasonably towards him.

Baby Fisk
05-10-2005, 02:05 PM
Willie and Ozzie are both class acts here.

SSN721
05-10-2005, 02:29 PM
Nice little story. It was nice of both sides, Willie and the Sox to make that happen.

Infallible
05-10-2005, 02:47 PM
I didnt want to leave my team hanging, but Ozzie told me, Go home, Willie. Your family is way more important than baseball,撒 Harris said

Not to make light on an obvious touch of class by both parties but what the hell is after the word "baseball?" Is that Ozzie talk actually making the print?

SoxEd
05-10-2005, 02:51 PM
I agree, that "" reappears later in the article after/in/at the end of another quote from OG.

It reminds me of Ali G's "Aii".

Que pasa?

santo=dorf
05-10-2005, 02:52 PM
Not to make light on an obvious touch of class by both parties but what the hell is after the word "baseball?" Is that Ozzie talk actually making the print?

It means "kid" (pronounced kEE-d) in Ozzie-speak. :D:

Brian26
05-10-2005, 02:57 PM

Part of me thinks this is a little below the belt, and another part of me smirks because it is total "Hollywood". Anyhow, good job Willie. The bereavement list in a nice touch of class by MLB.

mweflen
05-10-2005, 02:59 PM
Part of me thinks this is a little below the belt, and another part of me smirks because it is total "Hollywood". Anyhow, good job Willie. The bereavement list in a nice touch of class by MLB.

Yeah, I almost want to feel bad for making fun of Willie. Almost. If you had been the recipient of his attitude like my GF and I when we met him, you'd probably understand.

Brian26
05-10-2005, 03:05 PM
Yeah, I almost want to feel bad for making fun of Willie. Almost. If you had been the recipient of his attitude like my GF and I when we met him, you'd probably understand.

Was it at Soxfest? I've seen/heard the stories.

PAPChiSox729
05-10-2005, 03:41 PM

IIRC, wasn't Willie interviewed for that 'Sex in Sports' thing on ESPN? I remember him talking about all of the women at the hotels when they would travel. No offense to Willie, but the kid at 16 thing isn't all that shocking to me.

I want Mags back
05-10-2005, 03:45 PM

Oh god thanys funny

NorthlakeTom
05-10-2005, 04:08 PM
It means "kid" (pronounced kEE-d) in Ozzie-speak. :D:
LMMFAO!

I would crack up last year when Ozzie was talking about Mike Jackson. He'd call Jackson a kid too, and Mike is only a year younger than Ozzie.

mweflen
05-10-2005, 04:20 PM
Was it at Soxfest? I've seen/heard the stories.

It was at the pre-Soxfest VIP Party before last season. My dad's company had an invite, and I went with my GF. Most players were wonderfully nice, and everyone was at least civil, with one exception.

Edit: removed shot at Willie, so as not to offend anyone.

Infallible
05-10-2005, 04:26 PM
come on people cut Willie some slack, I mean he's biggest dissapoint on the club at the big level. How would you like to go to work everyday knowing that everyone you work with along with 33,000 screaming fans know you suck?

swanson24
05-10-2005, 05:39 PM
Harris always gives one hundred percent. It was sad to hear that his family went through a tough time. I know as someone who has criticized his hitting ability at Sox games before I did feel bad for making fun of Willie. It is very easy for fans, myself included to forget that these guys have a life outside of baseball that needs attention. Kudos to the White Sox organization for using the bereavement list and helping out a player!

Ol' No. 2
05-10-2005, 05:48 PM
It was at the pre-Soxfest VIP Party before last season. My dad's company had an invite, and I went with my GF. Most players were wonderfully nice, and everyone was at least civil, with one exception.

Of course I don't wish anyone ill, and it's too bad that his baby-mommy passed away. I just think it's pretty in keeping with the character I've seen that he is a teenage-deadbeat-dad.And you know he's a deadbeat dad how, exactly?

ja1022
05-10-2005, 06:08 PM
Kind of a bizarre thread. On one hand, you've got some people giving Willie his props for doing exactly what any father should do by being with his daughter in her time of need. Then on the other hand, he's being called out for having unprotected sex 10 years ago when he was 16. I'm sure no one that frequents this site would ever make a mistake like that when they were 16.

bafiarocks03
05-10-2005, 06:44 PM
Omg......I cant' believe he has a daughter!! that's so upsetting!! :(:

balke
05-10-2005, 07:05 PM
Of course I don't wish anyone ill, and it's too bad that his baby-mommy passed away. I just think it's pretty in keeping with the character I've seen that he is a teenage-deadbeat-dad.

Sorry if he hit on your girlfriend, or whatever the deal was... but deadbeat dad is pretty rough to be calling someone you in reality don't really know. I'm sure it would be very difficult to lose someone who gave birth to your child as well. Edging on low class to take shots at this point.

Baby Fisk
05-11-2005, 08:30 AM
To reiterate: Willie and Ozzie are class acts here. As for the rest of this thread... :rolleyes:

mweflen
05-11-2005, 10:37 AM
Look, I'm sorry Willie's-daughter's-mom passed away.

Okay, I don't know he's a deadbeat dad.

But I do know Willie is a jerk. He is by far my all-time least-favorite Sox player (this includes Royce and Wells). He earned that distinction both by his crappy play and his crappy attitude. I'm sure he could care less what one fan's opinion is (in fact, I know from personal experience that he could care less), but this is a fan forum and I'm expressing my opinion in it.

That's the last I'll say on the matter.

I edited my previous comments to avoid offending anyone, btw.

steff
05-11-2005, 12:04 PM
Of course I don't wish anyone ill, and it's too bad that his baby-mommy passed away. I just think it's pretty in keeping with the character I've seen that he got some girl pregnant at 16 and blew town.

I don't think anyone dislikes Willie more than I... but even I wouldn't **** on his family. :mad:

hawkjt
05-11-2005, 12:21 PM
I just cannot understand the ill will toward Willie. Is he a superstar? no
Is he expected to be a star? He hit .262 last year with a .343 on base average.
That is no great shakes but it is far from the worst. This year he is hitting over .300 with an on base average over .400. He has made a couple of errors.

He was very nice to me when I met him. He was dispointed when he did not inherit the 2nd base job but has not said squat about it since Jan. What exactly do people expect from him- hit .500 and on base of .650? And the unprotected sex at age 16 is a mistake that guys like Dee Brown and Deron Williams did also and are they bad guys? Sheeeeeesh!!!!

balke
05-11-2005, 12:24 PM
Is he expected to be a star? He hit .262 last year with a .343 on base average.
That is no great shakes but it is far from the worst. This year he is hitting over .300 with an on base average over .400. He has made a couple of errors.

He was very nice to me when I met him. He was dispointed when he did not inherit the 2nd base job but has not said squat about it since Jan. What exactly do people expect from him- hit .500 and on base of .650? And the unprotected sex at age 16 is a mistake that guys like Dee Brown and Deron Williams did also and are they bad guys? Sheeeeeesh!!!!

It reminds me of everyone that clamored for the head of Garland last season. "TRADE THIS BUM RAR RAR RAR". I love Willie as a back-up. I might like him more at SS than I did Valentin. People expect Willie to bat .400 and steal 60 bases... I'd like that too, but its not who he is.

Tekijawa
05-11-2005, 12:35 PM
Is he expected to be a star?

You should have told Willie that He isn't a star and he should expect to be treated like one... Barry Bonds can act like a superstar because he is one, and while people may not like it he can back it up... last I checked the only thing that Willie can back up is Iguchi, Roberto Alomar, D'angelo Jimenez etc... He need to drop the superstar attitude!

tacosalbarojas
05-11-2005, 12:48 PM
I wouldn't claim to know all the specifics about Willie's situation, but I hope to God his daughter is getting all the advantages at least financially that the daughter of a professional athlete should get. It sounds like emotionally he's there as well. I hope he is.

maurice
05-11-2005, 03:16 PM
I don't give a crap what Harris does off the field and outside of the clubhouse. It's not like he's an axe murderer. Mother Theresa was nice to everybody, but I'm glad she didn't play for the Sox.

Besides, Harris sounds like a good, concerned father to me. My condolences to his daughter. It's horrible to lose a mother at such a young age.