PDA

View Full Version : No criticism of the Cubs allowed at Wrigley if you are not a Cubs fan?

Uncle_Patrick
05-10-2005, 01:37 PM
I figure if any post was designed for "What's The Score?", its this one. A guy called B&B on the Score this afternoon. Said he was at last night's Cubs game in a Mets raincoat, although I guess he's a Cubs fan, too. Anyway, after verbalizing his displeasure with the lack of hustle of some of the Cubs players, a couple Cubs fans (decked out in full Cubbie wardrobe), sitting a row or two in front of him, exchanged some words with our friend in the Mets jacket, including one guy's promise, "If you don't shut up, I'll kill you" (those are the caller's words). After that, security became involved and the guy in Mets jacket was removed from the ballpark because of his "negative talk about the Cubs", and when he refused to leave the property outside the stadium (because he was waiting for his friends with whom he came to the game), he was arrested for trespassing.

Now, my reaction to this story, much like B&B, was that he wasn't telling the whole story, that he had to be drunk or that he had to be making a clown of himself. He claimed, though, that doesn't drink and that he was not loud or obnoxious. B&B and eventually cut this guy off, saying unless he could find someone to back him up, that they wouldn't give his story any credence, which I believe is fair enough. Even though I don't like the Cubs, I have a hard time believing that they would throw out anyone just for criticizing the team.

Well, apparently, a witness, a season-ticket holder unrelated to this guy, saw the whole thing, said that this guy was telling the whole truth, and that when it happened, no one in the section this guy sat in could figure out why he was being removed from the ballpark. There were other people complaining about the Cubs at the game, but (and this is the speculation of the witness) the fact that this guy had a Mets jacket on may have influenced the decision to remove him.

Anyway, I thought this was an interesting story to share and see what other people's thoughts are. Also, if anyone is listening to the Score now and has heard anymore about this, please update this thread.

I would find it ironic if the Cubs condemned criticism but allowed throwing baseballs (and garbage) on the field.

tebman
05-10-2005, 01:53 PM
The guy's story is probably true, but as with so many things you'd have to be there to know what really happened. The Cubs and their Orwellian management annoy me, but it really sounds like there was a lot more that went on than this guy is letting on.

Sounds like B&B made the right call on that one.

Baby Fisk
05-10-2005, 01:56 PM
It reminds me of the woman who posted a sob story here sometime last season about getting into an altercation at U.S. Cellular, but there were bizarre holes in her story so everyone mocked her. I'm sure RKM can find the thread... :cool:

BRDSR
05-10-2005, 02:03 PM
The Cubs and their Orwellian management....

:rolling: I love it.

C-Dawg
05-10-2005, 02:28 PM
I heard the caller on the Score. The story wouldn't surprise me if its true.

I suppose its like when Kerry Woods has a hissy-fit in the dugout and the cameras catch the whole thing but the director cuts away immediately. The don't want any feelings except for fun and happiness to radiate from the ballpark. Its called the "Friendly Confines" for a reason - (maybe that should be in teal)

Spicoli
05-10-2005, 05:45 PM
They are going to have to setup a "Free Speech Zone" outside the park for protestors.

DumpJerry
05-10-2005, 06:49 PM
I once posted a mildly negative comment (no profanity) on a Flubs' fans website (similar to WSI) about Flub fans. The moderator suspected I was a Sox fan and edited out my comment and told me that I was welcome even though I was a Sox fan, but I could not in any way criticize the Flubs or their fans. Imagine if we got booted if we said something mildly negative about the Sox on WSI (it is impossible to say anything negative about Sox fans, we're the greatest!). There would be no members left.

TommyJohn
05-10-2005, 06:54 PM
It reminds me of the woman who posted a sob story here sometime last season about getting into an altercation at U.S. Cellular, but there were bizarre holes in her story so everyone mocked her. I'm sure RKM can find the thread... :cool:

I remember that. Zhe waz zome girl who placed z'z in wordz where her s's
zhould've been. Example: favorite thing about Comiskey: Hot guyz!

DrCrawdad
05-10-2005, 10:00 PM
I heard a bit of that discussion on B&B. I heard Bernstein say that if you wore a Sox jersey to a Cubbie game no one would say anything and no one would care. That's not the experience I've had.

1. I attended Prior's first performance at The Shrine. I sat in the left-field bleachers with my Cubbie fan father-in-law. The only bit of Sox paraphenalia I wore was a 1" Sox pin. Some surprisingly eagle-eyed bleacher drunks spotted the pin and laid into me with a multitude of F-Bombs. I did not root against the Cubbies openly. My sole offense was wearing a 1" Sox pin.

2. I recently attended a Monday afternoon game against the Padres. I sat in RF next to a Cubbie fan blogger. The blogger had given me the ticket and told me that it wouldn't be a good idea to wear a Sox shirt. I wore the 1" Sox pin and got basically the same treatment as above.

3. A couple years ago I sat in a skybox at a Cubbie vs. Sox game at The Shrine. When I walked across the catwalk to the box, carrying my little daughter , I was greeted with a cascade of curse words from the Cubbie morons below.

So Bernstein, I ask you to wear a Sox shirt to a Cubbie game. Try it out in the bleachers, especially during a night game, and see how you're treated.

Dub25
05-10-2005, 10:15 PM
I heard a bit of that discussion on B&B. I heard Bernstein say that if you wore a Sox jersey to a Cubbie game no one would say anything and no one would care. That's not the experience I've had.

1. I attended Prior's first performance at The Shrine. I sat in the left-field bleachers with my Cubbie fan father-in-law. The only bit of Sox paraphenalia I wore was a 1" Sox pin. Some surprisingly eagle-eyed bleacher drunks spotted the pin and laid into me with a multitude of F-Bombs. I did not root against the Cubbies openly. My sole offense was wearing a 1" Sox pin.

2. I recently attended a Monday afternoon game against the Padres. I sat in RF next to a Cubbie fan blogger. The blogger had given me the ticket and told me that it wouldn't be a good idea to wear a Sox shirt. I wore the 1" Sox pin and got basically the same treatment as above.

3. A couple years ago I sat in a skybox at a Cubbie vs. Sox game at The Shrine. When I walked across the catwalk to the box, carrying my little daughter , I was greeted with a cascade of curse words from the Cubbie morons below.

So Bernstein, I ask you to wear a Sox shirt to a Cubbie game. Try it out in the bleachers, especially during a night game, and see how you're treated.

Email this to him and see if he responds. He usually does even though I doubt he will to this one because he can never be proven wrong. But hey, its worth a shot.

Dan H
05-11-2005, 10:15 PM
A friend of mine went to Old Comiskey to one of the Sox-Cubs exhibition games in the late '80's. Two Cub fans nearly assaulted him for wearing his Sox jacket. I guess it was a crime to wear a Sox jacket to Comiskey.

It would really be great if this story could be verified. How many more horror stories do we have hear about that Disney World on the North Side before people finally realize that Wrigley Field is not a good place to watch a baseball game? The vines and everything connected with that place is nothing but an illusion. I will never take my daughter there and I will raise her to despise everything Cubs.

I am not surprised that B&B were not interested in even pursuing this. They will defend the baseball establishment against the fan every time. But don't worry. They will be criticizing Sox attendance soon if they haven't already.

MUsoxfan
05-11-2005, 10:24 PM
I'll do my best to be overly critical of the Cubs when I'm decked out in all things Sox (and a hardhat) sitting at the Crumbling Confines at the Friday Cubs/Sox game.