PDA

View Full Version : Dye is likely man out when Frank returns

HawkISox
05-10-2005, 02:27 PM
Unless he really picks it up. Carl would move to right. It would be a dropoff in defense, but Carl's left handed bat is needed in the lineup more I think.

JRIG
05-10-2005, 02:29 PM
Unless he really picks it up. Carl would move to right. It would be a dropoff in defense, but Carl's left handed bat is needed in the lineup more I think.

Frank would DH almost every day. Dye would play RF against left-handers and Everett would play LF against right-handers, with Posednik in CF and Rowand in RF.

Pure speculation. But it would make the most sense, IMO.

Chisox003
05-10-2005, 02:31 PM

I dont know about that...

Carl's defense has cost us a game already (Cleveland-He played LF) and I reallllly dont feel comfortable with him playing in the field....

I really dont know what theyre going to do, but if Dye continues to struggle (Defensively too) and Frank steps in and gets hot, I see no choice other than Carl in right...:o:

mdep524
05-10-2005, 02:38 PM
Frank would DH almost every day. Dye would play RF against left-handers and Everett would play LF against right-handers, with Posednik in CF and Rowand in RF.

Pure speculation. But it would make the most sense, IMO. That is what I see happening also, as long as Frank's hitting is up to snuff (which it will be). Dye could also spell Pods or Rowand in the OF as slumps/days off/match ups dictate.

I don't see any condition under which Carl will play right field- that's for Dye, Rowand or possibly Perez.

Ol' No. 2
05-10-2005, 02:40 PM
All these kind of projections always assume that nothing changes between now and then. But this is baseball. It's always changing. A few weeks ago, everyone couldn't wait to bench Dye. Then he started hitting and he was OK. Then he made an error and everyone wants to bench him again. You can't manage a team that way. Well...actually, we did have a guy who managed the team that way and we ran him out of town.

At this point we have no idea when Thomas is coming back, no idea how much he's going to be able to play and no idea who's going to be hot and who's going to be cold when he does come back.

HawkISox
05-10-2005, 02:45 PM
I just don't see any other logical possibility.

Carl should under no circumstances play center. Anyone remember the last time? All the pop-ups falling in front of him?

A Dye-Carl Platoon is a possibility I guess.

Jerome
05-10-2005, 02:54 PM
This shouldn't even be an issue. Our offense is nothing special with Carl. Imagine if we took him out. For those of you who are worried about defense, just remember that we've pretty much got two centerfielders in Left and Center. Plus at least Carl has experience in the OF. And in the OF, Offensive production is much more important than defense IMO.

Dye's defense <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Carl's offense.

seanpmurphy
05-10-2005, 02:57 PM
:moron "Oh man, the White Sox are so stupid. I bet they wish they still had Magglio in Right Field."

mikehuff
05-10-2005, 02:58 PM
Dye's defense hasn't exactly been stellar this year. Last night he let another easy one roll right between his legs. He's anything but perfect out there this year. With the struggles of the rest of the team, I would put Everett in RF. Jermaine looks worthless so far.

Clarkdog
05-10-2005, 03:08 PM

Pure speculation. But it would make the most sense, IMO.

I might reverse your thinking. Everett has been brutal from the left side of the plate this year. Plus only playing him against LHP would cut down on his need to be in the field as often. You could also use Everett as a DH on nights you want to give Konerko a rest by putting Thomas at 1B.

Against LHP:
Everett LF
Podsednik CF
Rowand RF

Against RHP:
Dye RF
Rowand CF
Podsednik LF

mikehuff
05-10-2005, 03:11 PM
You could also use Everett as a DH on nights you want to give Konerko a rest by putting Thomas at 1B.

I'd like to see the percentage of people who think Frank will play 1B again. I don't see it at all. I think we should stop considering it. I think that Frank will never play the field again in his career. Who agrees with me?

Sox of White
05-10-2005, 03:19 PM
Dye's defense hasn't exactly been stellar this year. Last night he let another easy one roll right between his legs. He's anything but perfect out there this year. With the struggles of the rest of the team, I would put Everett in RF. Jermaine looks worthless so far.

Although I would not have been as harsh as you, Dye has made several errors on very routine plays this year, and have mostly been costly errors. So, with that said, having Everett take over may not be so bad.

Sox of White
05-10-2005, 03:20 PM
I'd like to see the percentage of people who think Frank will play 1B again. I don't see it at all. I think we should stop considering it. I think that Frank will never play the field again in his career. Who agrees?

I do not think Frank will ever play 1st base again. Not regularly at least. Perhaps he might pinch hit late in the game if he did not start, and then play 1st for the last inning or two, but I do not see any other situation with Frank at first.

Ol' No. 2
05-10-2005, 03:21 PM
I'd like to see the percentage of people who think Frank will play 1B again. I don't see it at all. I think we should stop considering it. I think that Frank will never play the field again in his career. Who agrees?Me. At least I hope not. It's not worth the risk.

JRIG
05-10-2005, 03:34 PM
I might reverse your thinking. Everett has been brutal from the left side of the plate this year. Plus only playing him against LHP would cut down on his need to be in the field as often. You could also use Everett as a DH on nights you want to give Konerko a rest by putting Thomas at 1B.

Against LHP:
Everett LF
Podsednik CF
Rowand RF

Against RHP:
Dye RF
Rowand CF
Podsednik LF

This makes no sense. Over his career, Everett has shown he can't hit LHP. He's a career .704 OPS vs lefties and .858 vs. RHP.

Yeah, he's not been as good this year, but virtually all his power comes while batting left-handed, and it's very small sample size.

And Dye, while not as dramatic, is a better hitter against LHP.

You have to go with the platoon advantage, I think.

nlentz88
05-10-2005, 03:35 PM
I'd like to see the percentage of people who think Frank will play 1B again. I don't see it at all. I think we should stop considering it. I think that Frank will never play the field again in his career. Who agrees?

I agree for the most part. Like someone else said earlier, you never know what's going to happen in a 162 game season. If, God forbid, Paulie and Gload go out with injuries, I could see Frank getting a start at 1B, especially if the Sox are visiting an NL park and we need some power. But yeah, with the fragile state of Big Frank's ankle, I don't see him playing first on any sort of regular basis.

I think the Sox do have a problem when Frank comes back, but it's a good problem. It's the problem of having too much talent for the roster. I mean, can you imagine the benefit of having Frank, Dye, or Crazy Carl being available to come off the bench to pinch hit?

Furthermore, if we have too many guys available to play DH/RF, then perhaps Kenny would have something to offer in a mid-season trade. Like I said, it's a long season. I think it is totally conceivable that KW might need to add another arm to our rotation or bullpen as the team enters the stretch run.

mikehuff
05-10-2005, 03:43 PM
Furthermore, if we have too many guys available to play DH/RF, then perhaps Kenny would have something to offer in a mid-season trade. Like I said, it's a long season. I think it is totally conceivable that KW might need to add another arm to our rotation or bullpen as the team enters the stretch run.
Let's hope the pitching remains healthy, but at this moment it looks like RF would be the place to upgrade. We have to consider how well Frank will play after having been out for nearly an entire year.

MIgrenade
05-10-2005, 03:45 PM
Until yesterday I thought putting Carl in RF was a mistake but now I realize that it won't matter. Dye is a not good enough to push Frank out for. I think he can be used for trade bait if teams are looking for major league talent, if he's packaged right. If Frank comes back strong the team will be fine, if not then there's gonna be trouble. I also think Konerko might be better off in the 5th spot rather than 4th. Little less pressure.

mccombe_35
05-10-2005, 04:06 PM
I dont know about that...

Carl's defense has cost us a game already (Cleveland-He played LF) and I reallllly dont feel comfortable with him playing in the field....

I really dont know what theyre going to do, but if Dye continues to struggle (Defensively too) and Frank steps in and gets hot, I see no choice other than Carl in right...:o:

Wasn't Carl taken out of that game with 1 out in the 1st?

mccombe_35
05-10-2005, 04:09 PM
I agree for the most part. Like someone else said earlier, you never know what's going to happen in a 162 game season. If, God forbid, Paulie and Gload go out with injuries, I could see Frank getting a start at 1B, especially if the Sox are visiting an NL park and we need some power. But yeah, with the fragile state of Big Frank's ankle, I don't see him playing first on any sort of regular basis.

I think the Sox do have a problem when Frank comes back, but it's a good problem. It's the problem of having too much talent for the roster. I mean, can you imagine the benefit of having Frank, Dye, or Crazy Carl being available to come off the bench to pinch hit?

I'm a huge Thomas fan, but I don't see him ever playing the field again. He's played 1B in just 38 games in the last 4 years - & 2 of the seasons ended way too early for him because he was in the field.

PAPChiSox729
05-10-2005, 04:26 PM
I'm a huge Thomas fan, but I don't see him ever playing the field again. He's played 1B in just 38 games in the last 4 years - & 2 of the seasons ended way too early for him because he was in the field.

I agree. The chance of injuring himself in the field is high. We would sorely miss his bat if he went on the DL again. He may play 1st a few games a year, but to put him out there on a regular basis is taking a huge chance.