PDA

View Full Version : Baseball's Best and Worst Uniforms, as chosen by FOX's NFL Europe Guy

Baby Fisk
05-10-2005, 12:57 PM
Have at it!

linky (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3569140?GT1=6444)

Clembasbal
05-10-2005, 01:01 PM
So pinstipes or a team name/city wirtten across the chest huh?

Ummm....have I seen this before? Somewhere around here?

batmanZoSo
05-10-2005, 01:30 PM
At the rate we are going, every single MLB team will either change their primary uniform color to black, or have a black alternate uniform by the year 2011. Or, 2006.

And we started it all.

I agree about a team having too many uniforms. I think we should get rid of the sleeveless home jerseys. That's not a Sox tradition, that's a Pirates and Reds tradition. We don't need that.

Of course I'm fuming over the cubs making the top 5 best. You have got to be kidding me! Those are the dorkiest, wussy ass uniforms in baseball right down to their clown hats and the chest logo that looks like a big ZERO. Even the shape of their numbers is soft and eminates a loser vibe.

We should have gotten credit for the black. These other teams look absolutely ridiculous doing it, but when we first got them it was pretty damn cool. And still is.

oeo
05-10-2005, 03:47 PM
I like that red Astros jersey...why didn't the Nationals make the list for worst...those look like they were put together with Word Art. And maybe it's just my hate for the Cubs coming out, but the Cubs uniforms are ugly...their logo blows.

doublem23
05-10-2005, 05:10 PM
Someone missed the Rockies' vests, I take it.

He'd take the Padres camo jerseys over the away one? Barf.

RKMeibalane
05-10-2005, 05:46 PM
Someone missed the Rockies' vests, I take it.

He'd take the Padres camo jerseys over the away one? Barf.

Those black vests the Rockies have been wearing are disgusting. They used them last night against the Braves. I took one look at them and wanted to puke. Whomever designed those things needs to be fired.

FedEx227
05-10-2005, 06:15 PM
they wouldn't look bad if they didn't have the white lining around the sleeves...

pretty stupid of them, but did this guy even spend time to do this article, he just put all the old franchises and called them the best and took perfectly normal alternates and made a big hoop-la about them when there is much much worse. Those Braves all reds are hideious.

nasox
05-10-2005, 06:33 PM
bad article

VenturaFan23
05-11-2005, 08:06 AM
well he is dead on about the jays uniforms. the first thing I thought when I first saw them was "when did the devil rays move to canada?" didn't anyone on the jays staff stop when they made those and say "wow, we look exactly like the freakin' devil rays!" God awful.

Sox Blue 69-70
05-11-2005, 08:19 AM
bad article

Par for the course, I suppose.

I like the San Diego uniforms myself, very smooth looking and not all that different from the San Francisco uniforms that the author seems to like to so much.

All these other teams that have gone to predominately black "alternate" uniforms over the last few years are pretty sorry, too. The Sox got it right in the early 1990s with their classic design. The rest are weak, cartoonish imitations.

SSN721
05-11-2005, 08:43 AM
Ho did the Drays unis not make it on that list, those are just hideous. Losing two games in a row to them aside they are just awful jerseys. You would think the Sox would make the top 5 but the author has probably never seen a Sox game. I do agree with the Tigers home unis, if we werent in the same division I would definitely pick up a Tigers home uni. They are pretty damn sharp.

kraut83
05-11-2005, 09:30 AM
Yankees, Red Sox and Cubs in the top 5. What a shocker. Detroit has great uni's both home and away, Ours are great, but the Cardinals have the best uni's in baseball.

daveeym
05-11-2005, 09:41 AM
Uhm our pics are numbers 20-22 on the gallery. He says all uniforms are in the gallery. But by the captions all they're showing are our road jerseys. Hmmm.

Bo Bice 4 Pope
05-11-2005, 09:51 AM
Cubs uniform one of the best? Color me enraged. I donít consider myself a knee-jerk Cubs hater like my father, but I canít help but agree with his 1997 comment that the cubs uniforms tend to be, and have always been, an affront not only to baseball players possessing any measure of perception and geometry, but a kick in the crotch to the sport of baseball in general or, indeed, anyone who retains their sense of sight. The sentiment that the cubs got on this list not because of their puke-worthy uniform but because of their so-called ďlegacyĒ canít help but cross my mind, as Iím sure it has others on this web page. And we did come with the black first. This list = whatever.

Bo Bice 4 Pope
05-11-2005, 09:53 AM
and what about the padres uniform that incorporated camoflaugue? i don't use the word "innovative" very often when it comes to uniforms, but i have the distinct feeling they were blazing trails with that one. anybody else?

Sox of White
05-11-2005, 10:11 AM
Of course I'm fuming over the cubs making the top 5 best. You have got to be kidding me! Those are the dorkiest, wussy ass uniforms in baseball right down to their clown hats and the chest logo that looks like a big ZERO. Even the shape of their numbers is soft and eminates a loser vibe.

You ever notice that stupid cub on the sleeve? I always wondered why the cubs were named after a baby animal. It's like if the Bulls were the calves. It is just weak and lame. Of course we do already have the Chicago Bears, (DA BEARS!), but cubs? That is weak.

Hangar18
05-11-2005, 10:16 AM
1. Toronto Black Jays-too much Black in uniforms
2. New York Mets- too much Black in uniforms
3. Baltimore Orioles Hats
4. Colorado Rockies- too much Black in uniforms
5. Tampa Devil Rays- yecchhh
6. Chicago Cubs Home- little league uniform
7. KC Royals Road & Black- too much Black in uniforms
8. Washington Nats (for imitating Angels)
9. Cincinnati Reds- too much Black in uniforms
10. Florida Marlins- again...too much Black in uniforms

Anyone see a trend here? The League of Extraordinarily Dumb Gentlemen
aka the MLB think that Black in the uniforms will help sell the merchandise and create interest. Not.

Hangar18
05-11-2005, 10:53 AM
I read that article just now, AFTER I put down my top 10 Worst uniforms.
The writer and I pretty much agreed on there being Way Too Much Black
in teams uniforms. At this rate, the Cardinals are going to change
their hats to Black and have Black alternate jerseys too. Him saying
the cub hat, though at least original, but plain in my view, is the "coolest"
is ridiculous. Him also saying the home uniform is top5 is very Ridiculous.
Its plain and little league-esque in look. Its an original uniform, i'll give them
that, but ugly. Also note how its mostly NL teams that are abusing the Black color scheme. the Reds should have Red Undershirts, Red primary colors, not black. Same with KC Royals, having blue shirts/hats instead of black. terrible. Mets just dont know who they are, living in the Yankee shadow.

I also agree that Red Sox home and away uniform looks way better with
RED undershirts and socks. Its a classic uniform. Best hat in MLB?
Easily has to be the White Sox. Solid Black hat, bold and striking with
contrasting old-english script SOX on the front. I always liked the logo,
but have never been fond of our previous hats. When that hat first appeared, I was floored with how Bold and Graceful and CLASSIC it looked.
I bought it immediately. Excellent hat.

Baby Fisk
05-11-2005, 11:06 AM
Hangar, what's your top 10 best uniforms list?

Baby Fisk
05-11-2005, 11:29 AM
10 Best:

Chicago White Sox - perfect mix of modern & traditional
Detroit Tigers - beautiful home whites, classy road navy & orange mix
Milwaukee Brewers - nice navy and gold combos
Pittsburgh Pirates - I'm biased towards black, when it's done right
SF Giants - see above
Texas Rangers - clean look, bonus for the TX flag on the sleeve
Oakland A's - gaudy at first, but grows on you -- very unique
LA Dodgers - another clean, classy look
Baltimore Orioles - would have ranked higher but should have BALTIMORE on the road jerseys
St. Louis Cardinals - for not jumping on the alt-black bandwagon

Worst - any team that jumped on the alt-black bandwagon (Toronto, Tampa, KC, Florida, NY Mets, Cincy, Colorado, etc)

JKryl
05-11-2005, 12:29 PM
I like that red Astros jersey...why didn't the Nationals make the list for worst...those look like they were put together with Word Art. And maybe it's just my hate for the Cubs coming out, but the Cubs uniforms are ugly...their logo blows.

Agreed on the Scrubs. I really think the logo is ugly, and I don't think that's just my biased opinion bleeding through.

D. TODD
05-11-2005, 12:38 PM
You ever notice that stupid cub on the sleeve? I always wondered why the cubs were named after a baby animal. It's like if the Bulls were the calves. It is just weak and lame. Of course we do already have the Chicago Bears, (DA BEARS!), but cubs? That is weak. I believe that a sports writer gave them the nickname for having a young team one year and it stuck. They were originally the white sox, but Comiskey took the name when he came to town.

Bias
05-11-2005, 01:06 PM
I believe that a sports writer gave them the nickname for having a young team one year and it stuck. They were originally the white sox, but Comiskey took the name when he came to town.

Was it necessary to post THAT info?? Talk about bringin' a brotha down.......

BTW, CHECK YO PRIVATE MESSAGES!

SoxFan76
05-11-2005, 01:14 PM
I believe that a sports writer gave them the nickname for having a young team one year and it stuck. They were originally the white sox, but Comiskey took the name when he came to town.

The "White Stockings', but yeah same thing.

Nellie_Fox
05-11-2005, 01:33 PM
Nobody looks cool in a Cubs hat. Nobody.

Some of the older posters will remember when Magnum PI was on. Tom Selleck usually wore a Detroit Tigers hat, and it was considered very cool. I always thought that even Tom Selleck would have looked like a dork in a Cubs hat.

Hangar18
05-11-2005, 02:06 PM
Hangar, what's your top 10 best uniforms list?

Let me separate this with Home and Road.
Best Home Uniforms.
1. Los Angeles Dodgers. perfect
2. Boston Red Sox.
3. Chicago White Sox. would rank higher if home was 3color.
4. Oakland A's. very nice home uniform
5. Atlanta Braves. awesome.
6. Houston Astros. very nice, looks like something the SOX shouldve wore.
7. New York Yankees. plain but simple. NY very striking
8. Detroit Tigers. plain but simple.
9. Baltimore Orioles. Nice uniform
10. St. Louis Cardinals. They embrace their colors, Bird on shirt classic.

Honorable mention. Milwaukee, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Kansas City

Best ROAD Uniforms.
1. Chicago White Sox. Best road uniform in baseball. Chicago script INSTANTLY recognizable.
2. Oakland A's. Script Oakland is very nice.
3. Boston Red Sox. Classic. red undershirts help immensely
4. Detroit Tigers. Script Detroit with orange trim excellent.
5. Atlanta Braves. very nice uniform.
6. Milwaukee Brewers. the blue & gold on gray looks awesome.
7. New York Yankees. plain, block New York, but classic
8. Houston Astros. Script Houston in 3 color looks great
9. Los Angeles Dodgers. wouldve ranked higher if theykept script DODGERS
10. Baltimore Orioles. tasteful, would rank higher but hats are brutal.

Honorable mention. SanFrancisco, Seattle, Pittsburgh, Anaheim, Cards.

Sox Blue 69-70
05-11-2005, 02:12 PM
You ever notice that stupid cub on the sleeve? I always wondered why the cubs were named after a baby animal. It's like if the Bulls were the calves. It is just weak and lame. Of course we do already have the Chicago Bears, (DA BEARS!), but cubs? That is weak.

Even before they were known as the Cubs, they went by the moniker of the "Colts" for a short time in the 1890s.

http://www.thebaseballpage.com/present/fp/nl/chi.htm

Maybe connotates an enduring soft spot for all things childish?

Hangar18
05-11-2005, 02:17 PM
Best Alternate Jerseys.

1. Chicago White Sox. When they went to 3color, made this instant classic.
2. Houston Astros. Original burnt red color tastefully done.
3. Oakland A's. Excellent jersey, matches hat well.
4. Milwaukee Brewers. Again, matches hat well.
5. KC Royals. They dont realize how well they look just plain blue & white.

Honorable mention. Baltimore Orioles, too black though. SFGiants. too black.

Everything else is overkill.

Sox Blue 69-70
05-11-2005, 02:21 PM
Best Home Uniforms.
1. Los Angeles Dodgers. perfect
2. Boston Red Sox.
4. Oakland A's. very nice home uniform
5. Atlanta Braves. awesome.
6. Houston Astros. very nice, looks like something the SOX shouldve wore.
7. New York Yankees. plain but simple. NY very striking
8. Detroit Tigers. plain but simple.
9. Baltimore Orioles. Nice uniform
10. St. Louis Cardinals. They embrace their colors, Bird on shirt classic.

Honorable mention. Milwaukee, Minnesota, Pittsburgh

Best ROAD Uniforms.
1. Chicago White Sox. Best road uniform in baseball. Chicago script INSTANTLY recognizable.
2. Oakland A's. Script Oakland is very nice.
3. Boston Red Sox. Classic. red undershirts help immensely
4. Detroit Tigers. Script Detroit with orange trim excellent.
5. Atlanta Braves. very nice uniform.
6. Milwaukee Brewers. the blue & gold on gray looks awesome.
7. New York Yankees. plain, block New York, but classic
8. Houston Astros. Script Houston in 3 color looks great
9. Los Angeles Dodgers. wouldve ranked higher if theykept script DODGERS
10. Baltimore Orioles. tasteful, would rank higher but hats are brutal.

Honorable mention. SanFrancisco, Seattle, Pittsburgh, Anaheim, Cards.

Nice list, though I'd bump either the Orioles or Astros in favor of the Pirates on both lists, myself. The Astros' uni is a welcome break from their outlansish past models, but I have a soft spot for the Bucs and will take tradition over technicolor any day.

Baby Fisk
05-11-2005, 02:21 PM

Very true statement, professor. Anytime I encounter someone in a Cubs hat or jersey, my reaction is not "Hey, a baseball fan," it's "Wow, what a loser..." :cool:

TheOldRoman
05-11-2005, 03:04 PM

You do know that the numbers and letters have a grey outline, dont you? What other colors do you want on the jerseys than black, grey, and white?
I think if anything they should use a different grey because a lot of times the grey looks white, especially in the sun.

TheOldRoman
05-11-2005, 03:08 PM
Best Alternate Jerseys.

1. Chicago White Sox. When they went to 3color, made this instant classic.
2. Houston Astros. Original burnt red color tastefully done.
3. Oakland A's. Excellent jersey, matches hat well.
4. Milwaukee Brewers. Again, matches hat well.
5. KC Royals. They dont realize how well they look just plain blue & white.

Honorable mention. Baltimore Orioles, too black though. SFGiants. too black.

Everything else is overkill.
I agree with pretty much all of those. I think both of the Twins' alternate jerseys are very classy. I also love the Rangers blue alternate. Texas across the chest with the flag on the sleeve - very classy.

However, the Giants got rid of their alternate jerseys before last season. Its a shame, though. I thought they were very sharp, the black on black was different.

Brian26
05-11-2005, 03:51 PM
You do know that the numbers and letters have a grey outline, dont you? What other colors do you want on the jerseys than black, grey, and white?

Hangar wants red- I remember him talking about this before. I strongly disagree with that. I think the black/silver combination is perfect, and adding red throws the whole balance off.

Brian26
05-11-2005, 03:53 PM
Best ROAD Uniforms.

Agreed. It's perfect.

TheOldRoman
05-11-2005, 03:55 PM
Hangar wants red- I remember him talking about this before. I strongly disagree with that. I think the black/silver combination is perfect, and adding red throws the whole balance off.
Oh, ok. I liked the red and black of the '59 Sox jerseys, but I dont think they should add red to the current jerseys. It would look like garbage, like all the other teams who add colors to their original and end up with 4 and 5 team colors. Change is bad in this situation.

Fenway
05-11-2005, 04:48 PM
The Red Sox home uniform hasn't changed much since 1933

The road they have tinkered with over the years, but I miss this look last used in 1989

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/images/al_1986_boston_01.gif (http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/detail_page.asp?fileName=al_1986_boston.gif&Entryid=1556)

White Sox certainly have had many
http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/images/al_1942_chicago_01.gif (http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/detail_page.asp?fileName=al_1942_chicago.gif&Entryid=669)http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/images/al_1956_chicago_01.gif (http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/detail_page.asp?fileName=al_1956_chicago.gif&Entryid=893)http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/images/al_1971_chicago_01.gif (http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/detail_page.asp?fileName=al_1971_chicago.gif&Entryid=1180)http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/images/al_1981_chicago_01.gif (http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/detail_page.asp?fileName=al_1981_chicago.gif&Entryid=1428)
http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/images/al_1982_chicago_01.gif (http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/detail_page.asp?fileName=al_1982_chicago.gif&Entryid=1454)http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/images/al_1993_chicago_01.gif (http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/detail_page.asp?fileName=al_1993_chicago.gif&Entryid=1740)

ChiSoxRowand
05-11-2005, 07:15 PM
I pretty much agree with his 5 worst uniforms. I also had to check the contrast on my TV the first time I saw those Padres road unis. But the Cubs with one of the top 5 uniforms! Give me a break. I'd say Texas has the best uni, I also like Florida's home alternate.http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-1358927nm.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:showEnhanced();)http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-1826828reg.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:showEnhanced();)

Cowhead418
05-11-2005, 08:19 PM
I just wanted to input something about hats. You know those pink White Sox and Cub hats?
:chunks

Absolutely awful. Light pink hats with the logo in white? I want to puke everytime I see them. I've seen quite a few Cub fans with that hat on an d a few Sox fans with that hat on and I just want to burn them everytime I see them. Get rid of them now. The person who invented them should be fired.

Lip Man 1
05-11-2005, 09:51 PM
Folks:

Let's not jump off the deep end here. The worst looking uniform today is still much, much better then some of the atrocious 'blasts from the pasts...'

Examples you say?

Try these... in no particular order of 'badness'

White Sox 1969 road uniform
Pilots 1969 blue road uniform
Orioles 1971 orange top AND bottom road alternate uniform
Padres 1972 - 1974 home and road gold and brown uniforms
Indians 1975 red top and bottom alternate uniform
White Sox 1976 - 1981 'pajama' uniforms
Phillies 1979 wine top AND bottom alternate uniform

THOSE uni's gang were atrocious. Count your blessings.

By the way if you have Marc Okkonen's book Baseball Uniforms of the 20th Century, you can see visuals of the Ugly Hall Of Fame. (That's the book Fenway used for his post...)

Lip

Foulke You
05-11-2005, 09:56 PM
Hard to believe it hasn't been mentioned on this thread is the Cubs alt blue top which in my opinion, is one of the ugliest in baseball and far worse than their home whites. The bright blue with the big cartoon red "C" and the pwecious wittle bear running through it. It is very vomit inducing. The Cubs should stick with their grey unis on the road.

pinwheels3530
05-12-2005, 01:03 AM

How about adding a touch of green!!

batmanZoSo
05-12-2005, 03:48 AM

http://www.hull.ac.uk/history/dept/images/evilpinkyring.jpg
How 'bout NO!...Scott...

Procol Harum
05-12-2005, 10:09 AM

Uh.....was that green comment s'posed to be in teal?? Why would we want to add green to the Sox mix? Don't mess w/ perfection (and get rid of the sleeveless jerseys :D: ).

Hitmen77
05-12-2005, 10:41 AM

The Cub uniforms are ugly. Their logo is boring and sucks. This guy has to be totally hopped up on cubbie crack to make his gushing statements about their lame uniforms.

But, that's the stupid "let's not put any thought into this" sports media. Before I opened the link, I was bracing myself because I was seriously expecting them to list the Sox as one of the worst - not because they are - but because sports reports love to rip on the Sox. Along the same lines, I was expecting the Flubs to be on the top 5 - not because their uniforms are any good - but because too many people buy into that "any thing Cubs-related is great" BS.

Sox of White
05-12-2005, 11:48 AM
Even before they were known as the Cubs, they went by the moniker of the "Colts" for a short time in the 1890s.

http://www.thebaseballpage.com/present/fp/nl/chi.htm

Maybe connotates an enduring soft spot for all things childish?

They were also the Orphans at one time...

Sox of White
05-12-2005, 11:49 AM

Yeah, he took the name to spite the cubs in fact. White Stockings, and the newpapers shortened it to Sox

Brian26
05-12-2005, 12:28 PM
Hard to believe it hasn't been mentioned on this thread is the Cubs alt blue top which in my opinion, is one of the ugliest in baseball and far worse than their home whites. The bright blue with the big cartoon red "C" and the pwecious wittle bear running through it. It is very vomit inducing. The Cubs should stick with their grey unis on the road.

Agreed 100%. Those jerseys are so bush league it's not even funny. They actually look worse now that the names have been removed off the backs.

TheOldRoman
05-12-2005, 12:37 PM
Agreed 100%. Those jerseys are so bush league it's not even funny. They actually look worse now that the names have been removed off the backs.
The funny thing is, they have 2 versions of the same hideous jersey now. They took the names off the back for the home version, but on the road they wear them with the names. Its so bush league, but you just know moron Cub fans were running out to get "both versions" of the alternate jersey. At least if it were a nice looking jersey, but it looks like crap.

Baby Fisk
05-12-2005, 12:52 PM

"Electric Disco Blue" should be banned from baseball.

Wsoxmike59
05-14-2005, 08:20 AM
1. Toronto Black Jays-too much Black in uniforms
2. New York Mets- too much Black in uniforms
3. Baltimore Orioles Hats
4. Colorado Rockies- too much Black in uniforms
5. Tampa Devil Rays- yecchhh
6. Chicago Cubs Home- little league uniform
7. KC Royals Road & Black- too much Black in uniforms
8. Washington Nats (for imitating Angels)
9. Cincinnati Reds- too much Black in uniforms
10. Florida Marlins- again...too much Black in uniforms

Anyone see a trend here? The League of Extraordinarily Dumb Gentlemen
aka the MLB think that Black in the uniforms will help sell the merchandise and create interest. Not.

I nominate this for Post of the Week!! Well said Hangar.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-14-2005, 09:25 AM

Some of the older posters will remember when Magnum PI was on. Tom Selleck usually wore a Detroit Tigers hat, and it was considered very cool. I always thought that even Tom Selleck would have looked like a dork in a Cubs hat.

A guy I work with is a Tigers fan, originally from Michigan. However he now lives in Chicago and bought himself a Cubs cap, apparently giving in to the conventional wisdom that "everybody from Chicago is a Cubs fan."

This guy is big and strong, a former college fullback. However when he wears that stupid Cubs cap he looks like a little boy. And to think he swapped it for the classic Detroit gothic "D"... it's a real shame. I'm embarrassed for him.

:redface:

C-Dawg
05-17-2005, 06:36 AM
I was just at the Cubs game May 9 and couldn't help but laugh at some of the fans with their bad jerseys - I guess the official ones are too expensive so some people have homemade ones with those 70s-style iron-on letters, always the wrong font of course, or wrong shade of blue. I posted once previously about the kid I saw with the homemade PRYOR 22 jersey.

Anyway, yeah, Disco Blue is a good way to describe the color of the Cub uniforms. And that weird font they have for the numbers is just, well, goofy.