PDA

View Full Version : Jamie Burke

skottyj242
05-10-2005, 12:31 PM
Does anyone know if Jamie Burke cleard waivers or not? And if not who picked him up?

Clembasbal
05-10-2005, 01:11 PM
Does anyone know if Jamie Burke cleard waivers or not? And if not who picked him up?

doesn't he have like 9 more days until he clears waivers? We will wait and find out...maybe Toronto will pick him up with Zaun out for a couple of weeks. They have no backup now, or really even a catcher.

Baby Fisk
05-10-2005, 01:17 PM
doesn't he have like 9 more days until he clears waivers? We will wait and find out...maybe Toronto will pick him up with Zaun out for a couple of weeks. They have no backup now, or really even a catcher.

:hijacked:

The Jays are trying to make due with Ken Huckaby (who was away from the team over the weekend for the birth of his child), and have brought up minor leaguer Andy Dominique.

Zaun update: he was released from hospital Monday afternoon and made it to the Jays dugout to watch the game. He remains on the 15-day DL. linky (http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050509&content_id=1043763&vkey=news_tor&fext=.jsp&c_id=tor)

seanpmurphy
05-10-2005, 01:21 PM
I'm probably wrong, but isn't Burke one of the minor leaguers we might want to hang on to? Or am I thinking of some other guy...?

BRDSR
05-10-2005, 01:24 PM
I'm probably wrong, but isn't Burke one of the minor leaguers we might want to hang on to? Or am I thinking of some other guy...?

I believe the issue isn't whether we want to hang on to him or not. I think at this point we're out of luck with him if someone else wants him(and he wants to go?). Actually, if anyone wants to give a clear, concise explanation of this waiver process, I would be obliged. I dont really know much about it.

skottyj242
05-10-2005, 01:31 PM
I believe the issue isn't whether we want to hang on to him or not. I think at this point we're out of luck with him if someone else wants him(and he wants to go?). Actually, if anyone wants to give a clear, concise explanation of this waiver process, I would be obliged. I dont really know much about it.

I don't know too much about it but I'm pretty sure that he's pretty much a free agent but there's a precess with the first right of refusal going to the worst team in the league (the Rockies) then the second worst (Royals) and so forth. Then if every team rejects him he comes back to us. That's how I think it goes but I might be totally wrong.

TheOldRoman
05-10-2005, 01:37 PM
I don't know too much about it but I'm pretty sure that he's pretty much a free agent but there's a precess with the first right of refusal going to the worst team in the league (the Rockies) then the second worst (Royals) and so forth. Then if every team rejects him he comes back to us. That's how I think it goes but I might be totally wrong.
It goes off of last year's record, not this year's. The Diamondbacks would get the first right of refusal.

TaylorStSox
05-10-2005, 01:53 PM
He's cleared waivers a few times before. I don't think any team's going to pick up the contract of a 30 year old AAA journeyman.

owensmouth
05-10-2005, 01:53 PM
It goes off of last year's record, not this year's. The Diamondbacks would get the first right of refusal.It used to be that everybody in the team's league got to pass on a player and then everybody in the other league. The order in both cases was worst to first. I haven't heard that this has changed, but I could be wrong. In other words, KC thru the Red Sox, then the Rockies thru the Cardinals.

Hitmen77
05-10-2005, 01:58 PM
If there is a risk of us losing Burke to waivers, then why did we bring him up for only a game or two? If he goes to another team, who would the Sox have available in the minors to bring up in case AJ or Widger get injured?

Clembasbal
There is another thread in talking baseball that is just posted. It talks about definitions to Waivers and Designated for assignment. It answered my question about this issue.

soxtalker
Say you're in Jamie Burke's shoes, and another team exercises a claim to fill a temporary vacancy (like replacing Zaun for a few days). At the end of that time, he probably gets optioned out to their farm system. Is this any different than the Sox rotating him back up to the majors every so often?

MUScholar21
05-10-2005, 02:02 PM
If there is a risk of us losing Burke to waivers, then why did we bring him up for only a game or two? If he goes to another team, who would the Sox have available in the minors to bring up in case AJ or Widger get injured?

Ben Davis is in Charlotte, along with Raul Casanova. It actually is pretty nice, because they both are switch hitters, and we always seem to be in need of a left handed bat. Davis is pretty cheap ($1 mil) this year, so while having Burke is a nice, it is a luxury we can afford to lose.

he_gone_89
05-10-2005, 04:43 PM
Ben Davis is in Charlotte, along with Raul Casanova. It actually is pretty nice, because they both are switch hitters, and we always seem to be in need of a left handed bat. Davis is pretty cheap ($1 mil) this year, so while having Burke is a nice, it is a luxury we can afford to lose.

wouldn't it make sense to keep burke up and send down Ozuna or Kevin Walker.
It's not like burke can only play 1 position. And then,when we need a lefty,we can bounce between davis and casanova.

DaleJRFan
05-10-2005, 04:48 PM

Jamie Burke has really gay frosted hair.

I think you are thinking of the OTHER Carlos Lee. :D:

NorthlakeTom
05-10-2005, 04:57 PM
wouldn't it make sense to keep burke up and send down Ozuna or Kevin Walker.
It's not like burke can only play 1 position. And then,when we need a lefty,we can bounce between davis and casanova.
I agree. I'm completely puzzled by the Walker call-up.

Although he appeared in only 57 games last year, Burke did hit .333. He was solid behind the plate - only one PB.