PDA

View Full Version : Frank Thomas

G-Ville Sox
05-10-2005, 11:19 AM
I dont know if anyone else was in St. Pete last night, but Frank Thomas was hitting the hell out of the ball in Batting Practice. I actually had no idea it was him until he hit two consecutive pitches 20 rows deep into the left field seats (one in which I caught). I then caught the back leg kick and realized it was the Hurt. He also looked alright running the bases, obvioulsy not 100%, but no limp. Every ball he hit was hit pretty solid. If we can get him back healthy by mid-June, it would be just like making the mid-season trade.

Go Sox!

:gulp:

TheOldRoman
05-10-2005, 11:33 AM
I dont know if anyone else was in St. Pete last night, but Frank Thomas was hitting the hell out of the ball in Batting Practice. I actually had no idea it was him until he hit two consecutive pitches 20 rows deep into the left field seats (one in which I caught). I then caught the back leg kick and realized it was the Hurt. He also looked alright running the bases, obvioulsy not 100%, but no limp. Every ball he hit was hit pretty solid. If we can get him back healthy by mid-June, it would be just like making the mid-season trade.

Go Sox!

:gulp:
http://www.cnn.com/interactive/entertainment/0302/gallery.simpsons.characters/gallery.mr.burns.jpg
Excellent!
Now if we could just trade for Alber Pujols, the world would be ours!

Frater Perdurabo
05-10-2005, 11:40 AM
Good to see. I predict he will return to full-time duty June 13 (if not sooner), because it will be the start of a 12-game homestand and all Sox interleague games in NL parks will have finished. It's also possible he could return to part-time duty sooner and then simply be available to pinch hit during the games at the Urinal, Colorado and San Diego.

kingpin_rcs
05-10-2005, 12:24 PM
I would love to see Frank get a chance to hit at Coors Field.

SoxEd
05-10-2005, 12:59 PM
Good to see. I predict he will return to full-time duty June 13 (if not sooner), because it will be the start of a 12-game homestand and all Sox interleague games in NL parks will have finished. It's also possible he could return to part-time duty sooner and then simply be available to pinch hit during the games at the Urinal, Colorado and San Diego.

Frank's probably not the guy most pitchers would vote to see announced in the 9th as coming in to pinch hit...:D:

I want him back asap - but NOT before his ankle is 100%.

Get well soon Frank, and come back Hungry.

Clembasbal
05-10-2005, 01:02 PM
I can't wait. If not for anything else besides his hitting, I can't wait to see how we deal with Everett and Dye when Thomas comes back.

I love Frank and I always will. Gullien seems to hate him though. We will see what happens. Hurry back Big Hurt!

seanpmurphy
05-10-2005, 01:03 PM
I like the idea of a little bit of pinch-hitting if he's going to come back a little earlier. What a tease one AB a game would be though! :smile:

sircaffey1
05-10-2005, 01:03 PM
I for one, am tired of seeing Carl weakly hit ground balls to second or strikeout with men on 2nd and 3rd with less than 2 outs. We need Frank. Minus the Twins series Carl has been Jermaine-like.

DaleJRFan
05-10-2005, 01:08 PM
What happened to all the talk about the 30 minute standing ovation we Sox fans are going to give the Big Hurt when he comes back??? Hopefully, the game he makes his return will sell out and we let our Superstar know how much we missed him!

bayzbol44
05-10-2005, 01:09 PM
Carl sure does take some ugly swings. Frank is the best. Ozzie better find a way to get him playing time. Once he is healthy he should be playing at least 4 out of 7 games and then by end of July he should be playing 6 out of 7 games.

TheOldRoman
05-10-2005, 01:19 PM
I love Frank and I always will. Gullien seems to hate him though. We will see what happens. Hurry back Big Hurt!
I disagree. Guillen doesn't hate Frank. He recognizes that Frank is the greatest pure hitter of this generation. He rides Frank like he always did; calling him fatass and yelling at him not to eat hot dogs. That is Ozzie personality. He knows Frank, and Frank knows when Ozzie is joking. Frank seemed upset about Ozzie's quotes recently, but he was fine after he spoke to Guillen. Surprise, the media put words into Guillen's mouth and twisted the words he did say. Ozzie rides Frank because he knows what to do to get the best out of him. He is like that to a certain degree with all players.

voodoochile
05-10-2005, 01:20 PM
Frank's probably not the guy most pitchers would vote to see announced in the 9th as coming in to pinch hit...:D:

I want him back asap - but NOT before his ankle is 100%.

Get well soon Frank, and come back Hungry.

By Frank's own admission, the ankle will never be 100% again. The question now is how much pain can he endure and still be effective. His last estimate said the pain was about an 8/10 and he figured he could play regularly if it is only 6/10.

NorthlakeTom
05-10-2005, 01:20 PM
I love Frank and I always will. Gullien seems to hate him though.
I'm not sure about that. You may be right, but I think the media overstates everything.

Frank has been with the team for awhile now, so the bad chemistry excuse doesn't hold much water.

Tekijawa
05-10-2005, 01:26 PM
I can't wait. If not for anything else besides his hitting, I can't wait to see how we deal with Everett and Dye when Thomas comes back.

Dye has 4 errors in right so far this year... I don't think putting Frank out in right would hurt us one bit. Or he could DH and Carl could play Left, Pods in Center and Rowand in right.

Ol' No. 2
05-10-2005, 01:27 PM
By Frank's own admission, the ankle will never be 100% again. The question now is how much pain can he endure and still be effective. His last estimate said the pain was about an 8/10 and he figured he could play regularly if it is only 6/10.I've heard these numbers thrown around, but frankly, I have no idea what they mean in real terms. How much pain is 6/10? Does anyone have any first-hand experience with this? Beckett, can you shed some light?

tacosalbarojas
05-10-2005, 01:29 PM
Dye has 4 errors in right so far this year... I don't think putting Frank out in right would hurt us one bit. Or he could DH and Carl could play Left, Pods in Center and Rowand in right. Or just activate Harold.

voodoochile
05-10-2005, 01:30 PM
I've heard these numbers thrown around, but frankly, I have no idea what they mean in real terms. How much pain is 6/10? Does anyone have any first-hand experience with this? Beckett, can you shed some light?

Pretty subjective I would think. What I might consider a 4 you might call an 8. Depends on the individual's pain tolerance. Those are the numbers Frank used in an interview after the first shockwave treatment. I don't think we can quantify them, but it gives us an idea of his progress.

Edit: having experienced occasional problems with my foot/heel from a pinched nerve that popsup from time to time, I can tell you that it is believable that he was feeling pain close to 10/10 at one point. When mine flares up (thankfully not in a couple of years) I cannot even walk for 2-3 days and when I shuffle to the bathroom or the kitchen, I have to walk on the toes of my left foot and even that is incredibly painful.

Baby Fisk
05-10-2005, 01:31 PM
What happened to all the talk about the 30 minute standing ovation we Sox fans are going to give the Big Hurt when he comes back??? Hopefully, the game he makes his return will sell out and we let our Superstar know how much we missed him!
Yes, it's preaching to the converted here, but it would be nice to see a BIG DEAL made out of the Big Hurt's return. How soon before his return would the Sox make public his return date?

Ol' No. 2
05-10-2005, 01:39 PM
Pretty subjective I would think. What I might consider a 4 you might call an 8. Depends on the individual's pain tolerance. Those are the numbers Frank used in an interview after the first shockwave treatment. I don't think we can quantify them, but it gives us an idea of his progress.

Edit: having experienced occasional problems with my foot/heel from a pinched nerve that popsup from time to time, I can tell you that it is believable that he was feeling pain close to 10/10 at one point. When mine flares up (thankfully not in a couple of years) I cannot even walk for 2-3 days and when I shuffle to the bathroom or the kitchen, I have to walk on the toes of my left foot and even that is incredibly painful.I may be wrong, but I think there's some kind of scale that they use to come up with the numbers. Can't bear any weight would be a 10. Walks with difficulty might be a 8. That kind of thing. I'm trying to figure out what 6/10 actually means.

NorthlakeTom
05-10-2005, 01:45 PM
FWIW, here's what Frank had to say yesterday:
Frank Thomas described the condition of his left ankle as "same old, same old" on Monday afternoon, meaning that a Minor League rehab assignment won't take place after the Tampa Bay series as Thomas had discussed as a possibility last week.

When asked for some sort of a timetable for the Charlotte trip, Thomas said that he wanted to get through the week and then see where he stood.

"I just worry about Frank running," said Guillen, voicing the same concern as Thomas. "When Frank comes back, it will be a boost to this team and make us better."

Thomas balked at the notion that his rehab assignment would have to coincide with a long stretch of Knights' home games. For example, Thomas expressed no problem traveling to Ottawa next week for four games and then to Buffalo for four more, if the situation dictates.
"Why not?" Thomas asked. "When I'm ready to go, I'll go wherever the team is."

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050509&content_id=1044128&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Baby Fisk
05-10-2005, 01:48 PM
Thomas expressed no problem traveling to Ottawa next week for four games and then to Buffalo for four more, if the situation dictates.

The Big Hurt playing in Ottawa would be awesome.

MisterB
05-10-2005, 02:07 PM
I may be wrong, but I think there's some kind of scale that they use to come up with the numbers. Can't bear any weight would be a 10. Walks with difficulty might be a 8. That kind of thing. I'm trying to figure out what 6/10 actually means.

Doctors use this 0-10 pain scale just to get an idea of patient discomfort. It's entirely subjective and is defined by the patient. Not everybody will have the same '10', it varies according to the individual's pain threshold. But generally you can take 6/10 as being serious enough (to that individual) that it significantly impairs function, but is not debilitating.

batmanZoSo
05-10-2005, 02:12 PM
By Frank's own admission, the ankle will never be 100% again. The question now is how much pain can he endure and still be effective. His last estimate said the pain was about an 8/10 and he figured he could play regularly if it is only 6/10.

That's funny, what is this a video game? I can picture Thomas with a health-o-meter over his head. When he rounds the bases after a homer, he has to collect red hearts to boost his health. :wink:

TaylorStSox
05-10-2005, 02:19 PM
Right now, I'm a 3 on the pain chart.

http://jaggi.caltech.edu/misc/hospital/pain_chart2.jpg

Infallible
05-10-2005, 02:32 PM
Alright I'll be the bad guy. The Big Hurt is done. He's getting on in his years, he's a big guy, and ankles are hard as hell to heal. He'll be back for awhile, but he won't be the same.

Chisox003
05-10-2005, 02:36 PM
Alright I'll be the bad guy. The Big Hurt is done. He's getting on in his years, he's a big guy, and ankles are hard as hell to heal.

Yikes...Duck and cover buddy

Anyway, I also Big Frank taking BP last week when the Sox were home and I didnt realize it was him until I saw that classic leg kick too...And like you said, he was hurting the ball something fierce....

To Franks soon-to-be-return to the best team in baseball....:gulp:

batmanZoSo
05-10-2005, 02:39 PM
Right now, I'm a 3 on the pain chart.

http://jaggi.caltech.edu/misc/hospital/pain_chart2.jpg

Alright I wanna settle this once and for all--who speaks Tagalog? I see that as a foreign language course in college course books all the time.

MisterB
05-10-2005, 02:42 PM
Alright I wanna settle this once and for all--who speaks Tagalog? I see that as a foreign language course in college course books all the time.

Tagalog is the language of the Philippines.

Baby Fisk
05-10-2005, 02:42 PM

Filipinos. (And it's not pronounced TAG-alog, as in tag along. It's ta-GAH-log.)

batmanZoSo
05-10-2005, 02:43 PM
Tagalog is the language of the Philippines.

I thought they spoke Spanish.

Baby Fisk
05-10-2005, 02:45 PM
I thought they spoke Spanish.

Batman you post-colonial neanderthal! It is possible for a country to have two languages spoken. Like in Brazil they speak Portuguese and Brazilian. :cool:

tstrike2000
05-10-2005, 03:05 PM
Anyway, I also Big Frank taking BP last week when the Sox were home and I didnt realize it was him until I saw that classic leg kick too...And like you said, he was hurting the ball something fierce....

Do you mean the leg kick when he strides towards the pitcher with his left leg or when his right foot comes up off the ground after he swings when Frank is really hitting well?

Also, did anyone hear the postgame show on AM 1000 last night. Sounded like a joke but the caller first asked if it was John Rooney and then asked if Frank Thomas played last night then asked when he got injured. I was surprised and got a good laugh out of it.

RKMeibalane
05-10-2005, 03:10 PM
Alright I'll be the bad guy. The Big Hurt is done. He's getting on in his years, he's a big guy, and ankles are hard as hell to heal. He'll be back for awhile, but he won't be the same.

:troll

Infallible
05-10-2005, 03:43 PM
yep I'm a troll because I'm pessimistic about the return and actual performance of Frank Thomas post ankle injury:redface:

Chisox003
05-10-2005, 03:46 PM
Do you mean the leg kick when he strides towards the pitcher with his left leg or when his right foot comes up off the ground after he swings when Frank is really hitting well?

Also, did anyone hear the postgame show on AM 1000 last night. Sounded like a joke but the caller first asked if it was John Rooney and then asked if Frank Thomas played last night then asked when he got injured. I was surprised and got a good laugh out of it.

I saw the front leg kick, where the pitcher is in his delivery and Frank loads, picks his front leg up and lets it rip....But I was very far away from it, so the back leg could have been kickin too...

I was just happy to see him smashing the ball....I cant wait until "The Return"

DickAllen72
05-10-2005, 04:30 PM
I for one, am tired of seeing Carl weakly hit ground balls to second or strikeout with men on 2nd and 3rd with less than 2 outs. We need Frank. Minus the Twins series Carl has been Jermaine-like.

Carl has been doing a good job driving in runs in the clutch. The problem is he has gotten absolutely no protection from the guys batting behind him. No protection so he doesn't see as many good pitches to hit, and also nobody picks him up when he does fail.

Carl is a quality hitter.

NorthlakeTom
05-10-2005, 04:44 PM

That's what everyone said in 2002. They were wrong then, and I'm guessing you're wrong now.

The thing is, 90% of players would kill to put up the numbers Frank did in '02. His BA was weak, but OBP was .361. 28 HR and 92 RBI weren't shabby, either.

Infallible
05-10-2005, 05:29 PM
That's what everyone said in 2002. They were wrong then, and I'm guessing you're wrong now.

The thing is, 90% of players would kill to put up the numbers Frank did in '02. His BA was weak, but OBP was .361. 28 HR and 92 RBI weren't shabby, either.

did you read the last part? '02 numbers is hardly big hurt numbers.....and this time he's been on the DL for awhile and its an ankle.

Mark Buehrle
05-10-2005, 06:14 PM
Well, didn't he tear his quadricep or something in 2001? Hardly less serious...

I think he'll be fine. He will be good this year, and probably even better next year (a la his 2002 then 2003 numbers).

Ol' No. 2
05-10-2005, 06:20 PM
did you read the last part? '02 numbers is hardly big hurt numbers.....and this time he's been on the DL for awhile and its an ankle.I don't think anyone expects Thomas to hit like the 1994 Frank Thomas. If that's your point, it seems to be stating the blindingly obvious for no purpose. But I see no reason he can't put up numbers not too far off from what he did last year before he got hurt. I'll take that in a heartbeat.

RKMeibalane
05-10-2005, 06:41 PM
yep I'm a troll because I'm pessimistic about the return and actual performance of Frank Thomas post ankle injury:redface:

No, you're a troll because you're making statments about his possible performance level, even though all signs point to the opposite happening. We've already had one poster singled out and warned by the mods for his pessimistic nature. We don't need another.

RKMeibalane
05-10-2005, 06:42 PM
did you read the last part? '02 numbers is hardly big hurt numbers.....and this time he's been on the DL for awhile and its an ankle.

What exactly are "Frank Thomas numbers?" If people think Frank's going to hit like he did ten years ago, they're going to be dissapointed. Thomas is still a great hitter, but he's not going to produce like he did in the 90's. That Frank Thomas is long gone.

owensmouth
05-10-2005, 06:53 PM
No, you're a troll because you're making statments about his possible performance level, even though all signs point to the opposite happening. We've already had one poster singled out and warned by the mods for his pessimistic nature. We don't need another.What's this? A threat to anyone who doesn't blindly agree with whatever you say? I'm very concerned about how Frank is going to be able to perform this year. Is he going to be able to run? Is he going to run at the same speed of Paulie? Is a one year layoff going to affect him as much as the shoulder injury bothered him? I'm hopeful that he comes back strong, but it may be rough. And, if he has a less than steller season, KW will use it as an excuse to give him his walking papers at the end of the year.

MRKARNO
05-10-2005, 06:58 PM
What exactly are "Frank Thomas numbers?" If people think Frank's going to hit like he did ten years ago, they're going to be dissapointed. Thomas is still a great hitter, but he's not going to produce like he did in the 90's. That Frank Thomas is long gone.

I am going to dissagree with you RK. The only part of Frank Thomas's game that is gone, judging based on what he did in limited playing time last year, is the ability to hit singles. Otherwise, he was on pace, last year, for a year in line with his 90's performances. I doubt he'll hit .300 again, but I dont think it's out of his ability. He was hitting near that before the foot started flaring up. His home run rate was in line with his 2003 total and with the best of his career. His OBP was higher than his career average. The Slugging was in line with his career average. He was on pace for one of the higher walk totals in his career. At the plate he looked as patient as ever.

Doubles might be harder to come by and he cannot be expected to go from 1st to third on a base hit or score from first on a double, but I think if the ankle is truly not bothering him a ton to the point where it distracts from his hitting, then we might be able to see the Frank that we're used to over the past few years. The power didnt go anywhere. The patience is there. We should still expect some pretty good things from him this year.

He might get off to a slow start, but I would expect that down the stretch, he should be back to his old self.

Ol' No. 2
05-10-2005, 07:03 PM
:cleo Frank Thomas will rejoin the Sox in June and immediately kick-start the offense. With continued stellar pitching, the Sox will take off and finish the season with the best record in baseball. His contribution will be so significant that he will win a third MVP, ensuring him a first-ballot election to Cooperstown.

And no, this isn't in pink.

DSpivack
05-10-2005, 07:07 PM
WSIers are notorious for being anti-stats, but wasn't the Big Hurt 3rd in OPS in baseball when he got hurt last year?

nasox
05-10-2005, 07:16 PM
:cleo Frank Thomas will rejoin the Sox in June and immediately kick-start the offense. With continued stellar pitching, the Sox will take off and finish the season with the best record in baseball. His contribution will be so significant that he will win a third MVP, ensuring him a first-ballot election to Cooperstown.

And no, this isn't in pink.

I don't think Frank will ever win another MVP. I think a lot of people would vote against him because of the DH.

RKMeibalane
05-11-2005, 11:43 AM
I am going to dissagree with you RK. The only part of Frank Thomas's game that is gone, judging based on what he did in limited playing time last year, is the ability to hit singles.

That's exactly what I was referring to. Frank Thomas is every bit the slugger that he has always been, but he is not the hitter he used to be. That's what I meant.

RKMeibalane
05-11-2005, 11:44 AM
WSIers are notorious for being anti-stats, but wasn't the Big Hurt 3rd in OPS in baseball when he got hurt last year?

He was, right behind Manny Ramirez and Melvin Mora.

RKMeibalane
05-11-2005, 11:45 AM
What's this? A threat to anyone who doesn't blindly agree with whatever you say? I'm very concerned about how Frank is going to be able to perform this year. Is he going to be able to run? Is he going to run at the same speed of Paulie? Is a one year layoff going to affect him as much as the shoulder injury bothered him? I'm hopeful that he comes back strong, but it may be rough. And, if he has a less than steller season, KW will use it as an excuse to give him his walking papers at the end of the year.

It's not a theat. It's an observation. You and HomeFish both need to put on prozac.

RKMeibalane
05-11-2005, 11:46 AM
I don't think Frank will ever win another MVP. I think a lot of people would vote against him because of the DH.

Agreed. We saw that happen in 2000 with Jason "Steroids" Giambi.