PDA

View Full Version : "Fizzling In Florida"

JRIG
05-10-2005, 09:25 AM
That's today's headline from last night's game on chicagosports.com. I don't have the print version of the Cubune in front of me, so I don't know how it compares.

But it makes sense. Yesterday we had a "Somber Streak," today we're "Fizzling In Florida."

I hate to think what might happen if we actually lost three in a row:

Slip Sliding Away
Sox Season Down the Tubes

Hangar18
05-10-2005, 09:47 AM
I saw that today ........and could only shake my head. Unreal.
BUT note on back page, full page story on "Anniversary Week for Cub No-Hitters!" The cubs get 6 stories while the sox get 6 stories.
Unbelievable

NonetheLoaiza
05-10-2005, 09:51 AM
Ridiculous. I just saw it. I guess all we have to do is go on a modest 20 game winning streak to garner positive media attention.

voodoochile
05-10-2005, 09:55 AM
Ridiculous. I just saw it. I guess all we have to do is go on a modest 20 game winning streak to garner positive media attention.

Someone quipped in chat last night - "We just can't get past 8 in a row."

Someone else said - "Aside from the two 8-game winning streaks, the Sox are only 8-8."

Sucks to be us I guess... :rolleyes:

Flight #24
05-10-2005, 10:25 AM
That's today's headline from last night's game on chicagosports.com. I don't have the print version of the Cubune in front of me, so I don't know how it compares.

But it makes sense. Yesterday we had a "Somber Streak," today we're "Fizzling In Florida."

For those without the print version, think of what the sports front page would look like if the Bulls won a playoff series: about the entire top 3/4 of the page dedicated to the team with a 3x normal headline "Fizzling in Florida".

Unbelievable, simply unbelievable. For a bit more of a shoe to the groin, check the "monday Cubune headline" thread for my sampling of other headline from the past week.....if you didn't actually know what was happening, you'd think the Sox were running around with a black cloud over their heads.

MisterB
05-10-2005, 11:04 AM

Someone else said - "Aside from the two 8-game winning streaks, the Sox are only 8-8."

Yeah, and outside of the 24 games they've won, the Sox are 0-8. That's horrible.

:tongue:

shoota
05-10-2005, 11:17 AM

I hate to think what might happen if we actually lost three in a row:

Slip Sliding Away
Sox Season Down the Tubes

I noticed the Tribune's headline too. I saw the print version and there is a huge picture of Podsednik successfully stealing second covering the entire top fold of the page, save for Downey's thin article on the left. Just what is the headline of Downey's article? "'Beyond Ugly' fits beautifully as Sox's motto." Downey: ****.

Someone posted in a media thread recently how any success the Sox have is portrayed as luck or winning not through their baseball talent. The Tribune can't stand to print fair articles, headlines or coverage of White Sox baseball.

"Fizzling in Florida" is appropriate for a three or maybe two consecutive losses to Tampa Bay. One loss to Tampa ending an 8-game winning streak? ***** Trib. :angry:

CubKilla
05-10-2005, 11:59 AM
You all need to quit huffing off the Sox-crackpipe. "Fizzling" is a perfect descriptor for what happened last night when a team with the best record in baseball lost to, arguably, one of the worst teams in the league.

Would "FUBAR'ed in Florida" sit better with all of you :rolleyes: ?

itsnotrequired
05-10-2005, 12:11 PM
You all need to quit huffing off the Sox-crackpipe. "Fizzling" is a perfect descriptor for what happened last night when a team with the best record in baseball lost to, arguably, one of the worst teams in the league.

Tampa Bay may have a shoddy record but I think they are a better team than people realize. Their pitching is their downfall (given up most HRs, most Rs, most BBs, worst ERA, etc.) but their offense isn't too shabby. Consider their standings in the AL:

- Most hits
- 2nd best average
- 2nd most stolen bases (behind the Sox:D: )
- 3rd most doubles (Sox dead last:(: )

When compared to the Sox, the D-Rays have a higher slugging percentage and OBP as well as more total bases, triples, runs and RBIs.

Their pitching stepped it up last night and the Sox couldn't respond.

batmanZoSo
05-10-2005, 12:16 PM

Well if you take out that 3 game winning streak, we're 8-5 in those games.

So yeah, this is a pretty stupid conversation.

Baby Fisk
05-10-2005, 12:19 PM
Torrid in Toronto, Tepid in Tampa.
Sox sputter: Shock! Horror!

kittle42
05-10-2005, 12:20 PM
I am convinced some people will never be happy until the Tribune treats the Sox like they treat the Cubs (I don't mean that they treat each team equally - instead, that they treat the Sox like they are the gods of baseball as they do with the "beloved"), which (1) will never happen; and (2) would be just as bad as treating the Cubs that way.

Spicoli
05-10-2005, 12:21 PM
If the Sox win the World Series, there will be a bunch of prognasticators on TV and the newsprint saying how there is no way we will repeat and that this year only goes to show you that baseball is unpredictable. We will NEVER get any respect, even if we win. Why? Because there is no PROFIT in it for the Cubune, WGN, , ESPN, and others who have invested in every team but the Sox.

voodoochile
05-10-2005, 12:49 PM

How about "DRays end Sox eight game winning streak" or "All good things must end" or "Eight Squared - Sox second eight game win streak of the season comes to an end in Tampa" or "Sox can't win them all - but they're trying".

I'll ask this question again... can you imagine the press the flubbies would be getting right now if they were doing what the Sox have done this season? The press would be up for grabs and the Trib would be basically scalping... er... selling playoff tickets...:rolleyes: (to you)

mcfish
05-10-2005, 12:59 PM
I am convinced some people will never be happy until the Tribune treats the Sox like they treat the Cubs (I don't mean that they treat each team equally - instead, that they treat the Sox like they are the gods of baseball as they do with the "beloved"), which (1) will never happen; and (2) would be just as bad as treating the Cubs that way.See Voodoo's response to CubKilla for a number of possible headlines that don't make it sound like the Sox are on a 4 game losing streak.

JB98
05-10-2005, 01:08 PM
You guys worry too much about what the Cubune thinks. They don't like the Sox, so F' em. As KW said, "We don't care."

mcfish
05-10-2005, 02:48 PM
You guys worry too much about what the Cubune thinks. They don't like the Sox, so F' em. As KW said, "We don't care."I would believe that if I didn't see another pointless attendance thread every single home game around here. I would claim that exclusively negative press would have a negative impact on attendance. So when the team is finally more than deserving of positive press, and doesn't get it, it makes you wonder what it will take.

On top of that, it speaks to the journalistic integrity of the Tribune as a whole. If they hire an editor who looks at the game objectively and that headline is all he can come up with, then why should I trust the rest of the paper? Many of the other editors were hired via the same obviously flawed process. Either that, or the editor is being told what he can and cannot print, which is another knock at journalistic integrity.

And lastly, for purely selfish reasons, that game last night was a little disappointing. This morning when I get to work, I get to see a big reminder that would lead one to believe that the Sox are doing worse than they really are, instead of a little pick me up reminding me that an 8 game winning streak was broken.

mdep524
05-10-2005, 02:56 PM
I noticed the Tribune's headline too. I saw the print version and there is a huge picture of Podsednik successfully stealing second covering the entire top fold of the page, save for Downey's thin article on the left. Just what is the headline of Downey's article? "'Beyond Ugly' fits beautifully as Sox's motto." Downey: ****.
:angry: What a ridiculous article by so-called Sox fan and terrible writer Mike Downey. "Beyond Ugly" doesn't fit this team at all (except Thursday's 2-hit win over KC). The Sox are winning games with outstanding pitching, timely hitting and solid defense, and they look great doing it.

A much better slogan would be "A Thing of Beauty."

rwcescato
05-10-2005, 04:02 PM
I saw that in the trib this mroning and had lunch with my brother. He mentioned it right away. What a joke huh?

SOXSINCE'70
05-10-2005, 05:24 PM
Winning 8 of your last 9 is definitely "fizzling".:redneck :redneck

If the Sox keep doing this,they may "fizzle"
their way to an A.L. Central title,among other things.:angry: :angry:

Cowhead418
05-10-2005, 06:47 PM

Actually I was one in chat who said Sox Suck. They can't win more than 8 games in a row. But staying on topic, if you take away the first two games in every series where we are 10-2 and 10-1 respectively, the Sox are 4-5 in the third game of the series. White Sox suck! They'll never have a double-digit winning streak all year! Call off the season!

Reminds me of 83
05-10-2005, 08:14 PM
Alright, I was sick of everyone complaining about the Tribune. Everyone in Chicago knows the drill. The Cubs are the Teachers Pet....end of story.
But todays headline in the Sports Page ...................Fizzle? The Sox are the hottest team in Baseball and coming of an 8 game streak and they headline "Fizzle". They can't headline the Cubs anymore (Because they suck sooooooo Bad) and now we get Fizzle!

These pretzels are making me thirsty!!!!

jmoney
05-10-2005, 08:31 PM
SERENITY NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Fenway
05-10-2005, 08:35 PM
Not only that when the Sox LOSE it made front page

I don't see Cubbies there

http://www.newseum.org/media/dfp/lg/IL_CT.jpg

FarWestChicago
05-10-2005, 10:18 PM

Would "FUBAR'ed in Florida" sit better with all of you :rolleyes: ?Yes!!! The FOLIP's are coming out of the woodwork. It sure didn't take much to make them happy. One Sox loss and it's party time!! :rolleyes:

CubKilla
05-10-2005, 11:35 PM
Yes!!! The FOLIP's are coming out of the woodwork. It sure didn't take much to make them happy. One Sox loss and it's party time!! :rolleyes:

Make that TWO :rolleyes:

shoota
05-11-2005, 12:26 AM
How about "DRays end Sox eight game winning streak" or "All good things must end" or "Eight Squared - Sox second eight game win streak of the season comes to an end in Tampa" or "Sox can't win them all - but they're trying".

Any you listed would have been more appropriate and CERTAINLY more accurate.

AZChiSoxFan
05-11-2005, 07:12 PM

The funny thing is that, aside from the one obvious thing that's so stupid about that quote, even 8-8 would still be better than the scrubs.

FarWestChicago
05-11-2005, 09:07 PM
Make that TWO :rolleyes: You really got to party there!! :D: