PDA

View Full Version : Zaun's Slide

seanpmurphy
05-10-2005, 02:44 AM
If I'm beating a dead horse, someone throw the pic up...Now, I hate seeing a guy get hurt for whatever reason, but something I noticed no one talking about on television or even after it happened was that Zaun went right after the man covering second. I forget who it was. He was at least 2 feet away from the base, didn't even make an attempt to slide into the base, and got nailed. I know sliding hard into the base to break up a double play is a legit tactic, but there was clearly no effort to slide into the base...any one else agree with the adage "if you play with matches, you get burned?"

Hopefully he's all right though. Like I said, I don't want to celebrate a person getting hurt.

Chisox003
05-10-2005, 02:48 AM
Im almost positive that the rule is as long as you are in arm's reach of the base, meaning if when you slide you can reach out to the left or right of the base and touch it, its a clean and legal slide...

As far as I know, Zauns slide was fine and I surely dont consider it dirty....

MUsoxfan
05-10-2005, 02:52 AM
There was NOTHING dirty about that slide. It was unfortunate that the angle was there for him to get hurt bad. It was a good hard slide that I would have expected any Sox player to make. A slide like that prevented AJP from hitting into a DP tonight. Only rarely does either party get hit on a slide like that

jeremydavid
05-10-2005, 02:53 AM
SOX players have clearly slide way out of their way to break up the double play as any good hard-nosed team does....

seanpmurphy
05-10-2005, 02:55 AM
I wasn't saying it was dirty. Im just saying if you're going to run right into a guy expect some contact. Also, he DIDN'T try to stretch his arm out or anything to go for the base as someone mentioned.

MUsoxfan
05-10-2005, 03:00 AM
I wasn't saying it was dirty. Im just saying if you're going to run right into a guy expect some contact. Also, he DIDN'T try to stretch his arm out or anything to go for the base as someone mentioned.

So be it. I'm sure he didn't expect to not get touched, but he couldn't have expected getting knocked out. I admired the slide as I watched it.

VivaOzzie
05-10-2005, 03:11 AM
That wasnt playing with matches, that was playing the game of baseball. It was a great play that I would hope any guy on our team would make (and have been) when trying to break up a DP. Its unlucky he got hurt, but hes a vet who will do the same thing the next time hes in that situatiuon. Its good ball.

Get well soon. :gulp:

Chisox003
05-10-2005, 04:06 AM

It doesnt matter if he attempted to reach his arm out...Its the umpire's judgement, and thats usually a call rarely made...If he was clearly in reach of the base, which he was, its a good slide....

CubsfansareDRUNK
05-10-2005, 09:34 AM
They made it seem like Lopez's fault in the cubune

NonetheLoaiza
05-10-2005, 09:38 AM
It doesnt matter if he attempted to reach his arm out...Its the umpire's judgement, and thats usually a call rarely made...If he was clearly in reach of the base, which he was, its a good slide....

It's almost entirely up to the umpire to determine whether or not it was a clean slide. Regarding Zaun's slide, it was not even close to being dirty. He slid the way a baseball player is supposed to slide to try and break up the double play.

BRDSR
05-10-2005, 09:52 AM
They made it seem like Lopez's fault in the cubune

Haha. They would.

The play was nobody's fault. In fact, I watched the replay several times and from no angle did it look like a concussion causing, head snapping, fearful-of-a-neck-injury collision. It was just one of those freak things where one players knee and one players head are both in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong angle and the wrong impact and so on and so forth. You could re-enact that play 1000 times and I bet you wouldn't get an injury that bad again.

Zaun played it right an dLopez played it right and someone got hurt. It happens.

Ol' No. 2
05-10-2005, 10:16 AM
I wasn't saying it was dirty. Im just saying if you're going to run right into a guy expect some contact. Also, he DIDN'T try to stretch his arm out or anything to go for the base as someone mentioned.It was a feet-first slide and he touched the base with his feet. What was the question?

seanpmurphy
05-10-2005, 10:23 AM
It was a feet-first slide and he touched the base with his feet. What was the question?

Unless I was watching a different game, he never touched the base at all.

daveeym
05-10-2005, 10:24 AM
It was a feet-first slide and he touched the base with his feet. What was the question? Man that's what I seemed to remember, But he didn't touch it with his hand or arm, the rule says "an arm's length" away.

lowesox
05-10-2005, 10:42 AM
Maybe I'm missing something here. Did Zaun bad-mouth the White Sox, or was it only the tribune implying that it was Lopez's fault that this thread was started?

If Zaun or one of the Jays didn't say anything, then this thread is unnessecary. I applaud Zaun for playing hard.

elrod
05-10-2005, 11:14 AM
All right, here it goes...:threadblows:

Zaun's slide was nothing but good hard-nosed baseball. I would expect any player on the White Sox to do the same thing. The only thing I care about now is that he recovers completely because he is one of the real good guys in baseball.

SpammySosa
05-11-2005, 12:09 AM
Unless I was watching a different game, he never touched the base at all.

It is kinda hard to try and touch the base when you are knocked out cold before you get there.:rolleyes: Like others have said,perfectly legal slide,case closed.

Alanzo XXXVIII
05-11-2005, 12:15 AM
My dad and I both thought Zaun had his head up a bit too long in his slide, like he was leaning forward instead of laying back.

Edit: We didn't think it was illegal-looking, just risky on his part.