PDA

View Full Version : Hi to WSI from Dave Wills

TornLabrum
05-09-2005, 08:42 PM
I'm listening to the Rays broadcast, and I just heard Dave Wills say hi to everybody at WSI. He sounds great with all kinds of great Sox info.

SOXintheBURGH
05-09-2005, 09:04 PM
Awesome! I know he's doing a great job down there. Miss ya bud.

HomeFish
05-09-2005, 09:11 PM
Isn't it a bit inappropriate for him to do that while a Rays announcer?

I know if he were a Sox broadcaster and started talking about his old team, there would be some :angry: threads around here.

TornLabrum
05-09-2005, 09:16 PM

I know if he were a Sox broadcaster and started talking about his old team, there would be some :angry: threads around here.

Not really inappropriate. It's obviously no secret between Dave, his partner, and the radio audience that Dave is a Chicagoan. They were also talking about his return to Chicago in July.

Dave is simply using his expertise on the White Sox during the broadcast and the subject came up, and WSI came to his mind. Interestingly enough, I'm listening to the Rays broadcast while sitting here in Joliet and was writing an email to Dave when he mentioned WSI.

Fenway
05-09-2005, 09:20 PM

I would be willing to wager there are more people listening to him on XM for the White Sox than on WHNZ in Tampa

Their attendance against the Yankees last week was down right awful. Montreal would have had better crowds for New York. When you consider that Tampa is the Yankees winter base and the Yanks are on Tampa radio (WBZZ 1010 AM Tampa FL) I am beginning to wonder if that franchise can turn it around.

http://wcbs880.com/yankees/local_story_017084811
http://www.sportsradio1010.com/

kevingrt
05-09-2005, 09:47 PM
Gotta love the guy, hope he's doing well in Tampa Bay, and I know for sure he will be back with the Sox someday

ChiWhiteSox1337
05-09-2005, 09:50 PM
It's cool to see I wasn't the only one who was listening to the Rays radio broadcast. It was nice to see him quickly point out that the White Sox have led in 32 straight games this year.

swanson24
05-09-2005, 10:05 PM
I miss Dave! he was classic. I'm sure some of you already know this but before he worked for the White Sox radio am 1000 he was a broadcater for the Kane County Cougars!

kevingrt
05-09-2005, 10:08 PM
And what do you know his damn Devil Rays beat us!

I wonder if he still gets sad when the Scrubbies lose

Stroker Ace
05-09-2005, 10:11 PM

Keep in mind this is the Devil Rays.

TDog
05-09-2005, 10:11 PM

Was it inappropriate for Harry Caray when he was with the Sox to openly root for the Cardinals and say he'd like to see the Sox and Cardinals in the World Series and wouldn't care who won?

It was, of course. But people didn't seem to care. Truth is, announcers talk about their old teams to a lesser degree, as Wills did, all the time. Skip Caray talked about the Mariners when he was with the Cubs, and I'm sure he talks about the Cubs now. Maybe Carays are bad examples, though.

batmanZoSo
05-09-2005, 10:30 PM
Not really inappropriate. It's obviously no secret between Dave, his partner, and the radio audience that Dave is a Chicagoan. They were also talking about his return to Chicago in July.

Dave is simply using his expertise on the White Sox during the broadcast and the subject came up, and WSI came to his mind. Interestingly enough, I'm listening to the Rays broadcast while sitting here in Joliet and was writing an email to Dave when he mentioned WSI.

That team was a mistake from day one, just look at that miserable excuse for a ballpark. And to think it was once intended for us. Tampa Bay (which is a fictional city to begin with, I thought it was Tampa?) is nothing but a retirement community that doesn't care about baseball and the team has sucked every year of its existence. I'm sure there are other cities in America that would embrace a franchise.

TornLabrum
05-09-2005, 10:37 PM
That team was a mistake from day one, just look at that miserable excuse for a ballpark. And to think it was once intended for us. Tampa Bay (which is a fictional city to begin with, I thought it was Tampa?) is nothing but a retirement community that doesn't care about baseball and the team has sucked every year of its existence. I'm sure there are other cities in America that would embrace a franchise.

Tampa Bay is just that, a bay. The stadium itself is in St. Petersburg, iirc. We can thank the NFL for the creation of the fictional "city" of "Tampa Bay."

SOXintheBURGH
05-09-2005, 10:37 PM

Like Vegas or Portland? Maybe Montreal?

You're right though, the name of the city is Tampa, FL. It sickens me even worse that this area has recently won a Super Bowl and a Stanley Cup too.

Lip Man 1
05-09-2005, 10:39 PM
Hope Dave is doing well in FLA.

Lip

SpammySosa
05-09-2005, 11:00 PM
And what do you know his damn Devil Rays beat us!

I wonder if he still gets sad when the Scrubbies lose

:tealpolice:
"Someone need our assistance?"

OEO Magglio
05-09-2005, 11:56 PM
Hope your doing great Dave, we miss ya.

BigEdWalsh
05-10-2005, 12:03 AM
:yoohoo: Hi Dave!
We all miss you.

StillMissOzzie
05-10-2005, 01:31 AM
Tampa Bay is just that, a bay. The stadium itself is in St. Petersburg, iirc. We can thank the NFL for the creation of the fictional "city" of "Tampa Bay."

Kinda like the New England Patriots. Can anyone tell me where New England begins and ends?

SMO
:gulp:

Palehose13
05-10-2005, 01:45 AM

Yep, Tropicana Field is in St. Pete. "Tampa Bay" is the area, Tampa is a city in the area (other cities include St. Pete, Clearwater, Sarasota, Bradenton).

Having just returned from the area, it is my favorite part of Florida an am looking into purchasing down there. IMO, it is a nice mixture of "native" and "tourist" and the weather is usually incredible.

Dave- I hope you are having a great time down there.

batmanZoSo
05-10-2005, 02:14 AM
Like Vegas or Portland? Maybe Montreal?

You're right though, the name of the city is Tampa, FL. It sickens me even worse that this area has recently won a Super Bowl and a Stanley Cup too.

Portland I think has been hungry for one, but they're just too small. Vegas would probably work. If you build a state of the art park with a lot of fun attractions and touristy crap, I'm sure they could succeed. I'm sure it would be some stupid name though and they'd go by "Vegas" instead of "Las Vegas" or some crap. The question though is what division to put them in. AL east wouldn't make sense. You could put them in the AL west to give that division 5 teams, and then take one of the extraneous NL central teams and put them in the AL east. Probably the Brewers, they suck, you can move them around. Plus I'd like the Sox to play them more often.

MUsoxfan
05-10-2005, 02:17 AM
Portland I think has been hungry for one, but they're just too small. Vegas would probably work. If you build a state of the art park with a lot of fun attractions and touristy crap, I'm sure they could succeed. I'm sure it would be some stupid name though and they'd go by "Vegas" instead of "Las Vegas" or some crap. The question though is what division to put them in. AL east wouldn't make sense. You could put them in the AL west to give that division 5 teams, and then take one of the extraneous NL central teams and put them in the AL east. Probably the Brewers, they suck, you can move them around. Plus I'd like the Sox to play them more often.

I think the Devil Rays are eternally screwed in the AL East....as are the Blue Jays. There are NO WAY those teams can last a whole year on top of a division with NYY, BOS and BAL. The D-Rays ownership probably figures it's a waste of money to commit any funds to a guaranteed losing effort, and I don't blame them

hose
05-10-2005, 07:10 AM
I'll have to check out the internet feed tonight.

Willsy is the man.

SSN721
05-10-2005, 07:18 AM
Hope you're doing well Willsy, nice hearing your voice again on ESPN 1000 yesterday.

1951Campbell
05-10-2005, 08:49 AM
Kinda like the New England Patriots. Can anyone tell me where New England begins and ends?

SMO

"New England" is the only region that has a set definition: VT, NH, ME, MA, RI & CT.

(I used to live in Boston). :smile:

Hangar18
05-10-2005, 08:57 AM

The Devil Rays are a team that never shouldve been. Some of the elders here
can tell the story on how the League Of Extraordinarily Dumb Gentlemen shortsightedly thought expansion would help financially. Not to mention the Rays were used to appease others. Terrible

Baby Fisk
05-10-2005, 09:49 AM
I think the Devil Rays are eternally screwed in the AL East....as are the Blue Jays. There are NO WAY those teams can last a whole year on top of a division with NYY, BOS and BAL. The D-Rays ownership probably figures it's a waste of money to commit any funds to a guaranteed losing effort, and I don't blame them
The Blue Jays pulled it off in 1992 and 1993, proving it can be done so long as a team is willing to spend more than Boston and New York. The Jays had the highest payrolls in baseball those two years.

Tampa should be contracted, but since that would throw the rest of the league into scheduling disarray, move them to Vegas/Portland or somewhere else out west, kick either Detroit or Cleveland back to the AL East, then move Milwaukee into the AL Central to create a Sox-Brewers division rivalry. This would also spare our friends in Milwaukee the trauma of having their fine city invaded by ugly hordes of Cub fans several times a year. :cool:

EDIT: crap, that would still throw the scheduling into disarray, wouldn't it. Good thing I'm not the commissioner. :redface:

ode to veeck
05-10-2005, 09:56 AM
Portland's an interesting one, they've done a pretty decent job of supporting the TBlazers, with a good core of established fans, through thick and thin.

voodoochile
05-10-2005, 10:00 AM
Back at you, Dave!

Hope your new team does great... starting Thursday...:D:

Ol' No. 2
05-10-2005, 10:21 AM
The Blue Jays pulled it off in 1992 and 1993, proving it can be done so long as a team is willing to spend more than Boston and New York. The Jays had the highest payrolls in baseball those two years.

Tampa should be contracted, but since that would throw the rest of the league into scheduling disarray, move them to Vegas/Portland or somewhere else out west, kick either Detroit or Cleveland back to the AL East, then move Milwaukee into the AL Central to create a Sox-Brewers division rivalry. This would also spare our friends in Milwaukee the trauma of having their fine city invaded by ugly hordes of Cub fans several times a year. :cool:

EDIT: crap, that would still throw the scheduling into disarray, wouldn't it. Good thing I'm not the commissioner. :redface:The D-Rays' owners DON'T CARE if anyone shows up. Between revenue sharing, national TV money and other shared revenues, they get $60M from the league and they have a $30M payroll. So they've made a $30M profit before the first ticket is sold.

DSpivack
05-10-2005, 10:57 AM
I think it may have been someone on WSI who came up with this interesting, though far-fetched, suggestion...

move the Nationals to the AL East; thus you have DC competing with Baltimore, New York, Boston, and Toronto; and move the 'Rays to the NL East, thus competing with Florida (Miami) and Atlanta.

Brian26
05-10-2005, 01:06 PM
Anyone know why the NFL attached the "Bay" to Tampa when they brought that franchise into the league? Was it to promote some sort of symmetry with Green Bay within the same division?

Fenway
05-10-2005, 05:32 PM

SMO

The reason the Patriots are known as New England go back to 1970

When the Boston City Council turned down Bill Veeck's idea to build a football stadium ( yes THAT Bill Veeck), the Patriots took Veeck's idea to a harness track (Bay State Raceway) in suburban Foxboro and renamed themselves the Bay State Patriots. It took about 2 days for the columnists to call them the BS Patriots and hence the change to New England.

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/nengalnd/FenwayPats.JPGhttp://www.dugout-memories.com/tsftpatr.jpg

ChicagoHoosier
05-10-2005, 05:34 PM
Can anyone picture a TV combo of Willsy as PBP and Hawk doing color? Wonder how that would sound...

Jjav829
05-10-2005, 06:35 PM
Hey Dave, don't get too comfortable down there. We're expecting you back once one of the Sox announcers leaves.

O, and bring Aubrey Huff with you. :D: