05-09-2005, 05:49 PM
Turn ESPN Quick on in 1 min

DaleJRFan
05-09-2005, 05:59 PM
well... how/what was it?

shaunburnette
05-09-2005, 06:00 PM
well... how/what was it?

terrible... wilbon and kornhiser just talked about how it was a cubs town... blah blah, i had to stop listening in disappointment.

MIgrenade
05-09-2005, 06:02 PM
SHOCKING!

JoseCanseco6969
05-09-2005, 06:23 PM
well... how/what was it?

The email they got was will the Palehose capture the casual fans similiar to the Red Sox last season?

Wilbon- NOOOO. not a chance. They cant even capture the casual fans in their own city. Cubs have wayyyy more attendance.. blah blah blah.
Small market team in a big market town.

You know...I wish ESPN would just stop covering us all together. The more we do well and the more they bash us...it makes us look worse and worse to the casual fan. Maybe if the jags at ESPn wouldnt take every chance to rip us...people would have more respect for us. Well guys, I guess the best thing for us to do is to win and keep winning...and try to get respect that way. But then again...where did that get FLordia and the Angels? They still are always overlooked by those fools.

Goose
05-09-2005, 06:32 PM
Why would we expect anything less? We don't get any "good cookin'" at home, why would we get it from anyone else? Has anyone see the column by Rapoport in today's Sun-Times? A one-game winning streak by the sCrUBs gets column space and an 8-game winning streak does not. Let's face it, Sox Fans...we will not get the positive press. Do we really want it? I, for one, prefer the "analysts" staying the course rather than haviing an over crowded bandwagon.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/rapoport/cst-spt-rap09.html

On an aside, my e-mail to Rapoport reads:

"I will make this short. I know you are busy with doing whatever it is
you "sports writers" do over there. I, for the life of me, cannot
understand how you (an others over there at the Sun-Times) can
continuously waste space in your paper with the kind of filler as you
did in your column today. Your article basically reads: "It's OK, Cub
fans, the Cubs are bad, but so are some other teams, so don't worry".
The Cubs, if you haven't noticed, are USUALLY bad! They have been and
will be for a long, long time. What I don't understand is how no one
on sports staff is writing about the White Sox. Have you noticed that
they're doing pretty good this year? Don't you think that deserves a
bit of space in your paper? An actual columnist writing something
other than the usual pessimistic drivel about how the Sox great start
is a fluke and they will soon crash-and-burn? What is it with you
guys (I expect it from the Tribune...they have a vested interest in
the North-Side Losers)? Why is it so hard to back the Sox like you
would the Cubs had they had this type of start?

Any insight would be appreciated."

Will keep you posted on any responses.

MIgrenade
05-09-2005, 06:47 PM
Giant foam middle fingers. That's what what I want for games.

daveeym
05-09-2005, 06:55 PM
How about 30k + mooning the press box this weekend.

Palehose Pete
05-09-2005, 07:02 PM
What did you guys expect? Tony is an avowed East Coaster and nothing west of the Appalachians interests him. Wilbon is an avowed Cubs fan, so he could care less about the Sox.

JoseCanseco6969
05-09-2005, 07:12 PM
and you know what else, with regard to attendance....if we pack the place vs the O's.. the media(maybe with some truth) will hail the packed Cell as a result fo Cubs fans to see Sosa. We cant win no matter what.

Palehose Pete
05-09-2005, 07:14 PM
Oh, yeah, I totally expect someone in the media to say that the reason the Cell had any fans in it is because of Sosa and Cubs fans, not because the Orioles are a hot team right now and have a history with the Sox.

kobo
05-09-2005, 07:15 PM
They were talking about if casual baseball fans will rally around the White Sox like alot of fans did last year with the Red Sox. Yes, they did mention this is a Cubs town, and they are correct. They also mentioned that there isn't a big name superstar on the team, someone with alot of charisma that the media could fall in love with. We have Thomas, but seeing as how he isn't even playing right now I can see where they are coming from. Wilbon was right, we can't even get the casual fan in this town to rally behind the Sox. I don't think anything they said was a bash on us or a put down.

SOXit2EM
05-09-2005, 07:21 PM
$#$@ ESPN!!! :cool:

kevingrt
05-09-2005, 09:49 PM
What a shocker!!!

StrTrkker
05-10-2005, 12:08 AM
BTW...did anyone catch the opening of BBTN with fatso Kruk and his comment on Tadahito's double to score Pod.

It was something like " Worse double I have ever seen hit in the majors"

Jerk...It was a great opposite field double by Tadahito.

MUsoxfan
05-10-2005, 01:49 AM
What a shocker!!!

Almost 1,200 posts and no idea where the teal button is......

:tealtutor:

SSN721
05-10-2005, 06:55 AM
As uch as I hate what they said, sounds ike they are pretty much right. I just dont see the Sox capturing the hearts of the rest of the country. Its fine, I dont mind that makes it much more enjoyable in the end knowing we can celebrate how far we get in the end with our own fans.

nccwsfan
05-10-2005, 07:33 AM
Its fine, I dont mind that makes it much more enjoyable in the end knowing we can celebrate how far we get in the end with our own fans.

Exactly! Let the Trib, Moronotti, ESPNew England, ESPNew York say what they want....I'd rather have the satisfaction come September/October.

This is why we're 'Under the Radar'. Let them moan and groan while the White Sox keep winning. Fine by me...

Jurr
05-10-2005, 10:07 AM
Well, I don't know about Chicago and the "casual fan", but it's getting ridiculous in Memphis, TN. The biggest hangout in Memphis is a bar called the Flying Saucer. On Mondays, almost everybody who's over 21 in the city goes to this place. I saw probably 10-15 Sox hats/shirts last night. Crazy.

All of my friends were astounded by it as much as I was. Last night, I was wearing my Uribe jersey, and I got a TON of comments on it. People kept saying, "I looove the White Sox, man!" I would say, "That's awesome..Harold Baines would be proud." I'd get some strange, empty looks.
Anyways, the Sox thing is catching on.

SoxFan78
05-10-2005, 10:31 AM
I dont think they were ripping on the Sox, just commenting on how it really is. Can anybody deny what they said? They weren't saying that the Sox were a bad team that is just lucky (Kruk), they were just saying that they don't get as much pub as the Cubs, which we all know is true.

They don't have that one standout player that is known nationwide either. Is that a bad thing, absolultey not.

Before anybody gets all angry just remember. The White Sox are our team, we don't need the nation behind us.

nebraskasox
05-10-2005, 12:22 PM
BTW...did anyone catch the opening of BBTN with fatso Kruk and his comment on Tadahito's double to score Pod.

It was something like " Worse double I have ever seen hit in the majors"

Jerk...It was a great opposite field double by Tadahito.

I just watched the double on MLB highlighlights to see what you're talking about. It looked like fantastic bat control by Iguchi. A short, quick stroke down the right field line. Looked like a pretty piece of hitting to me.

Sox fans really appreciate what Tadahito brings to this club. He is currently the team's best hitter and plays fundamentally sound.

tacosalbarojas
05-10-2005, 01:26 PM
Wilbon and Kornheiser should stick to what they know about...the Wizards losing in 5 to the Heat. Shame on Wilbon for being from the southside and being a *** fan.

AZChiSoxFan
05-10-2005, 04:39 PM
Wilbon and Kornheiser should stick to what they know about...the Wizards losing in 5 to the Heat. Shame on Wilbon for being from the southside and being a *** fan.

I heard him say once that he grew up a Sox fan, but once he moved to Washington he began to cheer for the Scrubs as well, "since they are from Chicago."

NorthlakeTom
05-10-2005, 04:50 PM
I heard him say once that he grew up a Sox fan, but once he moved to Washington he began to cheer for the Scrubs as well, "since they are from Chicago."
Sounds like a contradiction to me.

If he grew up a Sox fan, he would not cheer for the Cubs, regardless of where he moved to.

Nellie_Fox
05-10-2005, 05:07 PM
They weren't saying that the Sox were a bad team that is just lucky (Kruk)...Actually, the other night Kruk was asked "can the White Sox keep this up?" and he replied "oh, absolutely. Why not? They're doing it the right way, with solid fundamentals, baserunning and outstanding pitching. Of course they don't catch the ball real well, and they aren't hitting real well, but there's no reason they can't keep it up."

ma-gaga
05-10-2005, 05:14 PM
Actually, the other night Kruk was asked "can the White Sox keep this up?" and he replied "oh, absolutely. Why not? They're doing it the right way, with solid fundamentals, baserunning and outstanding pitching. Of course they don't catch the ball real well, and they aren't hitting real well, but there's no reason they can't keep it up."

You know, Kruk doesn't bother me as much this year. I don't know if I just tune him out when he talks, or what it is. But for all the same old blah blah blah, he just hasn't grated on my nerves like seasons past. Maybe it's because I have NO expectations for him to say anything remotely intelligent. That could be working in his favor.

I do like Gammons. He's raises the bar a bit. :gulp:

Nellie_Fox
05-10-2005, 05:30 PM
I do like Gammons. He's raises the bar a bit. :gulp:Gammons is only interested if there is some connection to the Red Sox.

AZChiSoxFan
05-10-2005, 06:08 PM

If he grew up a Sox fan, he would not cheer for the Cubs, regardless of where he moved to.

Basically, he's now of those "cheer for both teams" kind of guys, that most of us here will never understand.

Nellie_Fox
05-11-2005, 12:10 PM
I heard him say once that he grew up a Sox fan, but once he moved to Washington he began to cheer for the Scrubs as well, "since they are from Chicago."Every time I've heard him talk about it, all he talks about is rushing home from school to watch the Cubs on TV. I've never heard him mention, even in passing, any Sox allegiance.

Greg1983
05-12-2005, 06:01 PM
I know I'm late to the dance on this thread, but I just want to say that everyone who thought PTI "ripped" the Sox earlier this week is dead wrong. Yes, they said that the Sox will fail to capture the hearts of the casual fan because they don't have the panache of the Red Sox and Cubs, and that Chicago is a Cubs town. But they weren't saying that's a *good* thing. They were just saying that's the way it is.

In fact, Wilbon made the excellent point that it's idiots who insist on only talking about the Yankees and Sawx (as in Red Sox) who drown out the really *good* stories...like our White Sox.

There is a difference between a "prescriptive" statement (stating what should be) and a "descriptive" statement (stating what is). Everything Kornheiser and Wilbon said on both PTI segments this week was descriptive.

I'm as totally biased as anyone else here, and I believe PTI did right by our team this week.

Infallible
05-12-2005, 06:04 PM
. I just dont see the Sox capturing the hearts of the rest of the country.

its alright, cause Easy E was Sox fan.
http://www.eazy-e.com/pictures/15.jpg

Palehose13
05-12-2005, 06:14 PM

That's something to be proud of...

shaunburnette
05-12-2005, 06:30 PM
I know I'm late to the dance on this thread, but I just want to say that everyone who thought PTI "ripped" the Sox earlier this week is dead wrong. Yes, they said that the Sox will fail to capture the hearts of the casual fan because they don't have the panache of the Red Sox and Cubs, and that Chicago is a Cubs town. But they weren't saying that's a *good* thing. They were just saying that's the way it is.

In fact, Wilbon made the excellent point that it's idiots who insist on only talking about the Yankees and Sawx (as in Red Sox) who drown out the really *good* stories...like our White Sox.

There is a difference between a "prescriptive" statement (stating what should be) and a "descriptive" statement (stating what is). Everything Kornheiser and Wilbon said on both PTI segments this week was descriptive.

I'm as totally biased as anyone else here, and I believe PTI did right by our team this week.

I completely disagree. Their tone of voice and thoughts behind the White Sox were like they were mocking them. I've actually been a fan of PTI and Kornheiser and Wilbon but after hearing them ramp on the Sox, my wasted time spent watching them is time I wish I had back.

Nard
05-12-2005, 06:48 PM

No teal necessary.

http://www.thuglifearmy.com/images/My%20Pictures/Forum%20Images/Easy%20E/easy%20e3.jpg

http://www.thuglifearmy.com/images/My%20Pictures/Forum%20Images/Easy%20E/easy%20e2.jpg

http://www.thuglifearmy.com/images/My%20Pictures/Forum%20Images/Easy%20E/easy%20e%20white.jpg

Boo ya.

SoxFan76
05-12-2005, 06:52 PM

Yeah, I think the teal was completely necessary.

hsnterprize
05-12-2005, 08:21 PM

If he grew up a Sox fan, he would not cheer for the Cubs, regardless of where he moved to.That's not too hard to understand. I was a Sox fan only when I joined the Army. Then, while I was bragging on Chicago to my Army buddies, so many of them quickly knew about the Cubs, and not about the Sox. If I knew then what I know now, I would've responded differently, but because so many people outside Chicago associate the city's baseball fans with the Cubs, and with all the national exposure they get, it's not too hard to fall into the Cubbie bandwagon.

It wasn't until I came home for good in 1993 that I decided to be a "full-time, hard-core White Sox fan."

So as silly as it sounds, it's typical for people other than hard-core Sox fans to fall for the "Cubbie trap" once they leave Chicago. It's understandable, since the Cubs' fans often fill up visiting teams' ballparks, to think that the Cubs are the coolest thing since sliced bread. Fortunately, we all know better, and the proof will come in the fall when we're vindicated, and all the "experts" will look more and more foolish.

hsnterprize
05-12-2005, 08:34 PM

No, it's NOT alright. Easy-E and other rappers wore Sox apparel because it was the most popular sportswear at the time. Other than the Oakland Raiders, the San Antonio Spurs, and the Los Angeles Kings, the Sox were one of the only pro sports teams wearing a silver and black color combination at that time. Now, it's gotten so common for teams to incorporate black into their color scheme, the Sox' innovation of wearing black in modern-day baseball is more-than-often overlooked. I don't think Dr. Dre, Easy-E, Ice Cube, and the rest of N.W.A. (N****s Wit' Attitude for those who don't know what that acronym stood for) were following the likes of Frank Thomas, Kirk McCaskill, Wilson Alvarez, Jack McDowell, and other Sox players at that time. I think they, like others, were following a trend started on the South Side, and incorporated the "black" into the "gangsta rap" part of the hip-hop world.

Changing the subject, here's something that is alright...MY 1,200th post!!!!!

:supernana: :supernana: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :supernana: :supernana: