PDA

View Full Version : Question about Earned Runs

SOX ADDICT '73
05-09-2005, 04:48 PM
*Stupid question warning here* Just something I've been wondering about...

I came home during the 8th inning on Sunday to find that Buehrle had yielded 4 runs. I was pretty disappointed (I want all of our starters to have a sub-4.00 ERA), until I saw that only 2 of them were earned.

Now, we all know that when an infielder or outfielder makes an error that leads to runs, those runs aren't counted as "earned" by the pitcher. My question is, what happens if it's the pitcher himself who makes the error? For example, if a pickoff throw toward third goes sailing into the stands, or if a wild pitch allows a run to score - are those earned runs?

Ol' No. 2
05-09-2005, 04:49 PM
*Stupid question warning here* Just something I've been wondering about...

I came home during the 8th inning on Sunday to find that Buehrle had yielded 4 runs. I was pretty disappointed (I want all of our starters to have a sub-4.00 ERA), until I saw that only 2 of them were earned.

Now, we all know that when an infielder or outfielder makes an error that leads to runs, those runs aren't counted as "earned" by the pitcher. My question is, what happens if it's the pitcher himself who makes the error? For example, if a pickoff throw toward third goes sailing into the stands, or if a wild pitch allows a run to score - are those earned runs?Nope. The pitcher making an error, when acting as a fielder, is exactly the same as any other player making an error.

SOX ADDICT '73
05-09-2005, 04:53 PM
Nope. The pitcher making an error, when acting as a fielder, is exactly the same as any other player making an error.
Good explanation - thanks, No. 2!

StillMissOzzie
05-09-2005, 05:22 PM
Nope. The pitcher making an error, when acting as a fielder, is exactly the same as any other player making an error.

LaTroya Hawkins is very unhappy with your answer.

SMO
:D: