PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History

Lip Man 1
05-09-2005, 03:31 PM
Just FYI.

May 10, 1976. White Sox at Texas.

This is the night Jimmy Piersall, then working in the Rangers front office, ‘tried out’ to be Harry Caray's future partner on the Sox broadcasts. Charlie Warner, then the head of WMAQ radio was literally holding auditions in cities the Sox were visiting, trying to come up with some names as possible partners for the future.

It was the first time the two worked together. I have audio from parts of the 9th and 11th innings in a game the Sox won 7-6. The bi-play between Jimmy and Harry was hilarious. The comments were funny, insightful and on the mark. It’s easy to see why he'd get the job in the off season.

Piersall actually started doing some play by play in the last of the 11th inning but two Rangers hit consecutive shots that were caught at the wall by Ralph Garr off of pitcher Dave Hamilton. Caray being the susperstitious sort that he was, immediately 'took back' the play by play for the final out saying that he was 'getting nervous' over the way things were going. Harry called the final out while Piersall was laughing in the background saying that Harry 'would be sorry.'

Great stuff.

Lip

wdelaney72
05-09-2005, 03:34 PM
Just FYI.

This is the night Jimmy Piersall, then working in the Rangers front office, ‘tried out’ to be Harry Caray's future partner on the Sox broadcasts. Charlie Warner, then the head of WMAQ radio was literally holding auditions in cities the Sox were visiting, trying to come up with some names as possible partners for the future.

It was the first time the two worked together. I have audio from parts of the 9th and 11th innings in a game the Sox won 7-6. The bi-play between Jimmy and Harry was hilarious. The comments were funny, insightful and on the mark. It’s easy to see why he'd get the job in the off season.

Piersall actually started doing some play by play in the last of the 11th inning but two Rangers hit consecutive shots that were caught at the wall by Ralph Garr off of pitcher Dave Hamilton. Caray being the susperstitious sort that he was, immediately 'took back' the play by play for the final out saying that he was 'getting nervous' over the way things were going. Harry called the final out while Piersall was laughing in the background saying that Harry 'would be sorry.'

Great stuff.

Lip

Man, I'd love to hear that.

SSN721
05-09-2005, 04:01 PM
That sounds like it would be quite entertaining. :smile:

Brian26
05-09-2005, 04:02 PM
Man, I'd love to hear that.

Same here.

RKMeibalane
05-09-2005, 05:18 PM
*hijacks thread*

May 10, 1994: The Sox defeated the Seattle Mariners by the score of 16-2 on this day. The game featured a balanced attack from the Sox, highlighted by back-to-back home runs by Joey Cora and Frank Thomas in the seventh inning, off of Goose Gossage. Robin Ventura also homered, and Julio Franco added three RBIs in the rout.

tacosalbarojas
05-09-2005, 05:39 PM
Just FYI.

Great stuff.

Lip

Karma for Robin V.?

nebraskasox
05-09-2005, 05:45 PM
This was on MLB.com

May 9, 1984 > The Chicago White Sox and Milwaukee Brewers complete a game started the day before when Harold Baines hits a 25th-inning home run to give the White Sox a 7-6 victory. Although the game's 25 innings are one shy of the Major League record, the eight hours and six minutes of play make it easily the longest nine inning game in ML history.

RKMeibalane
05-09-2005, 06:02 PM
This was on MLB.com

May 9, 1984 > The Chicago White Sox and Milwaukee Brewers complete a game started the day before when Harold Baines hits a 25th-inning home run to give the White Sox a 7-6 victory. Although the game's 25 innings are one shy of the Major League record, the eight hours and six minutes of play make it easily the longest nine inning game in ML history.

I've heard about that game. It's etched in Sox history.

Lip Man 1
05-09-2005, 07:11 PM
I've got the video of Harold's game winning home run but what people forget is that night Tom Seaver won both games. He got the win in the suspended game then made his regular start in the 'second' game and won that as well.

Lip

RKMeibalane
05-09-2005, 07:21 PM
I've got the video of Harold's game winning home run but what people forget is that night Tom Seaver won both games. He got the win in the suspended game then made his regular start in the 'second' game and won that as well.

Lip

That's cool, if for no other reason, because it probably won't happen again. Starting pitchers are treated like babies today. I actually think that, more than anything, is the reason why so many of them develop arm and elbow problems. If pitchers were allowed to just pitch, they'd be better off. I don't recall hearing about Bob Gibson's rotator cuff or Jerry Koosman's labrum tear. Of course, Nardi Contreras wasn't around back then, either.

:nardi

"Mmm... labrums."

Brian26
05-09-2005, 09:59 PM

Lip

The thing I remember most about that (I had just turned 12) is how Don Drysdale and Hawk were going on and on and on about how brilliant of an idea it was to get Seaver into the game. They both said the time between the games would just seem like a really long at-bat by the Brewers and wouldn't hurt Seaver's rhythm.

Stroker Ace
05-09-2005, 10:15 PM
This was on MLB.com

May 9, 1984 > The Chicago White Sox and Milwaukee Brewers complete a game started the day before when Harold Baines hits a 25th-inning home run to give the White Sox a 7-6 victory. Although the game's 25 innings are one shy of the Major League record, the eight hours and six minutes of play make it easily the longest nine inning game in ML history. 9 innings?:?: :kukoo: