PDA

View Full Version : Roeper lists 6 reasons why Cubs will always be #1 in Chicago

Fenway
05-09-2005, 02:02 PM
Richard Roeper hits the nail on the head in his Sun-Times column today

http://www.suntimes.com/output/roeper/cst-nws-roep09.html

Even if the Sox keep up this ungodly pace (which they won't) and the Cubs continue to stumble, the Sox will still be the second-most-popular team in town. The Cubs will outdraw them and garner at least as much media coverage, even if the Sox are 20 games better.

That will never change, and for starters I can give you a half-dozen good reasons:

1. Sluggers.

2. The Cubby Bear.

3. Hi-Tops.

4. Murphy's Bleachers.

5. Sports Corner.

6. Bernie's Tavern.

Among hard-core baseball fans, the Cubs and Sox have an equal number of supporters -- but the Cubs have probably 90 percent of the casual fan base. For that to change, Wrigley Field would have to be torn down and supplanted by a domed stadium in the suburbs, and U.S. Cellular Field would have to be airlifted to a neighborhood brimming with sports bars and girls in halter tops.

kittle42
05-09-2005, 02:04 PM
Can't disagree.

rdivaldi
05-09-2005, 02:06 PM
At 24- 7 I have to say this.

:whocares

The Flubs can have their throngs of idolizers, I'll take a championship...

tebman
05-09-2005, 02:06 PM

Even if the Sox keep up this ungodly pace (which they won't) and the Cubs continue to stumble, the Sox will still be the second-most-popular team in town. The Cubs will outdraw them and garner at least as much media coverage, even if the Sox are 20 games better.

That will never change, and for starters I can give you a half-dozen good reasons:

1. Sluggers.

2. The Cubby Bear.

3. Hi-Tops.

4. Murphy's Bleachers.

5. Sports Corner.

6. Bernie's Tavern.

Among hard-core baseball fans, the Cubs and Sox have an equal number of supporters -- but the Cubs have probably 90 percent of the casual fan base. For that to change, Wrigley Field would have to be torn down and supplanted by a domed stadium in the suburbs, and U.S. Cellular Field would have to be airlifted to a neighborhood brimming with sports bars and girls in halter tops.
Nicely played there by one of our favorite Sox fans from Dolton! :thumbsup:

SouthSideSid
05-09-2005, 02:11 PM
As the Sox distance themselves from the failing Cubs - it makes this seem like an irrelevant discussion. I find myself caring about the Cubs and the fact that they get so much more attention than the Sox less and less.

Hopefully, by the end of this glorious year the Cubs can stay #1 in Chicago because the Sox will be #1 in the World.

iwcup
05-09-2005, 02:12 PM
the southward urban renewal sprawl has already started...

I would say that in the next 7 years, there will be plenty more bars, restaurants and pre and post game hangouts in the immediate area thus negating the attandance advantage they have on the north side..

Palehose Pete
05-09-2005, 02:14 PM
Yup. Gotta admit that he's spot-on.

I'm noticing more Sox gear around the city (I live in the west loop). Could it mean that more casual fans are starting to hop on the wagon? Am I alone in this observation?

Sox of White
05-09-2005, 02:23 PM
At 24- 7 I have to say this.

:whocares

The Flubs can have their throngs of idolizers, I'll take a championship...

Word. I would much rather have hundreds of real fans, compared to thousands, more like millions, of casual fans who do not even know who plays second base.

ChiSoxRowand
05-09-2005, 02:32 PM
Word. I would much rather have hundreds of real fans, compared to thousands, more like millions, of casual fans who do not even know who plays second base.

Exactly

DrCrawdad
05-09-2005, 02:37 PM
Nicely played there by one of our favorite Sox fans from Dolton! :thumbsup:

Hey, what about me? I lived in Dolton for 10 years, the so-called Valley to be exact.

Uncle_Patrick
05-09-2005, 02:40 PM

1. Sluggers.

2. The Cubby Bear.

3. Hi-Tops.

4. Murphy's Bleachers.

5. Sports Corner.

6. Bernie's Tavern.

I agree with everything said here.

Tekijawa
05-09-2005, 02:43 PM
I can think of TWO DOZEN REASONS that Chicago should be a Sox town!

1. Cleveland
2. Cleveland
3. Minnesota
4. Minnesota
5. Cleveland
6. Cleveland
7. Seattle
8. Seattle
9. Minnesota
10. Minnesota
11. Detroit
12. Detroit
13. Kansas City
14. Kansas City
15. Kansas City
16. Oakland
17. Detroit
18. Detroit
19. Kansas City
20. Kansas City
21. Kansas City
22. Toronto
23. Toronto
24. Toronto...

The shift will start out slow and then beging to snowball in August!

Stroker Ace
05-09-2005, 02:46 PM
Word. I would much rather have hundreds of real fans, compared to thousands, more like millions, of casual fans who do not even know who plays second base.Exactly what I say. I don't want to see Sox Park filled up if it means it's being filled with twentysomethings that are only there to be seen because it's "the cool thing to do".

irish rover
05-09-2005, 02:54 PM
I agree in that I enjoy games with less people, unfortunatly it is a business and the powers tobe will not reinvest in the team unless they make money

MUsoxfan
05-09-2005, 03:24 PM
On a sidenote, I sat right next to Roeper at a game about 2 weeks ago. I was gonna buy him a beer, but then I thought, "What am I buying him a beer for? He's got the cash."

StillMissOzzie
05-09-2005, 03:26 PM
Exactly what I say. I don't want to see Sox Park filled up if it means it's being filled with twentysomethings that are only there to be seen because it's "the cool thing to do".

Hear, hear!!! I'm fine having shorter lines to take a leak or freshen up my beveridge. I'd much rather be 24-7 than have bleachers full of morons, drunks, and know-nothing "fans" who couldn't tell you both teams on the field.

SMO
:gulp:

Keep off of our bandwagon!

PatK
05-09-2005, 03:53 PM

Well they'd be able to tell who was playing if they had their names on the jerseys.

white sox bill
05-09-2005, 03:56 PM
Like this one gal told me:
After cub game you go out to neighboorhood bars
After SOX game you go home:(:

Chisox003
05-09-2005, 03:57 PM
Hopefully, by the end of this glorious year the Cubs can stay #1 in Chicago because the Sox will be #1 in the World.

Zing!

I sure hope you're right....

S05X

irish rover
05-09-2005, 04:00 PM

so, thats the way it should be, it is a very family oriented neighborhood, people do not want to have the probs as wrigleyville residents do

SOXintheBURGH
05-09-2005, 04:24 PM
Usually when I go to a game I already spend at least $50 on parking and tickets, another $40 on food and drink.. Do you really need to go to a bar and spend more money on drinks?

white sox bill
05-09-2005, 04:27 PM
so, thats the way it should be, it is a very family oriented neighborhood, people do not want to have the probs as wrigleyville residents do

Yea but in my case, I'm single and like to go hang out at a local watering hole for at least ONE! It would be nice to have some bars around the Cell where at least you had a choice of stay or go

MUsoxfan
05-09-2005, 04:32 PM
Yea but in my case, I'm single and like to go hang out at a local watering hole for at least ONE! It would be nice to have some bars around the Cell where at least you had a choice of stay or go

There are. They're not across the street, but they're literally only a few blocks away. I almost always go out to those bars after the game when I go with my friends.

Blueprint1
05-09-2005, 04:51 PM

Or you can get on the Red Line and it will take you whereever you want.

Palehose13
05-10-2005, 12:55 AM

Nope...you can:

#1. Stay in the ballpark and go to the Bullpen Sports Bar.
#2. Walk your happy ass across the parking lot and go to Jimbo's.

peeonwrigley
05-10-2005, 02:31 AM
Nope...you can:

#1. Stay in the ballpark and go to the Bullpen Sports Bar.
#2. Walk your happy ass across the parking lot and go to Jimbo's.

How much longer does the bullpen bar stay open, and do they still pop you for the $10 cover after the game ends?

MUsoxfan
05-10-2005, 02:43 AM
How much longer does the bullpen bar stay open, and do they still pop you for the $10 cover after the game ends?

There's no $10 cover. The fee in the Bullpen Bar is if you want to sit at the upstairs patio tables. Drinking at the Bullpen Bar costs as much as you care to drink. I think it stays open maybe an hour after the game, but you can't take any drinks out after the 7th inning.

The Racehorse
05-10-2005, 05:07 AM

1. Sluggers.

2. The Cubby Bear.

3. Hi-Tops.

4. Murphy's Bleachers.

5. Sports Corner.

6. Bernie's Tavern.

Once Wrigley Field is put out of it's misery and succumbs to the wreaking ball, bloated c-list celebrities such as Tom Arnold, Jim Belushi, Bill Murry & Bernie Mac will have to go somewhere else for cheap publicity... which will have a residual effect in shifting the casual fan's perspective that it's no longer the in thing to be a Flubbies Fan.

SSN721
05-10-2005, 07:17 AM
Everything is pretty much right in that little blurb. But, oh well, the Sox keep winning and more will take notice, try to put them down, only be sweeter if they win it all in the end. And there already have been more people jumping on the bandwagon, I have definitely been noticing more Sox gear around this year then usual.

TDog
05-10-2005, 10:45 AM
I love baseball. I've been to hundreds of games, from spring training exhibitions to the World Series. I've never had a beer at the ballpark (although a Miller Park vendor questioned my manhood when I asked for a Pepsi), and I certainly wouldn't want to hang out after the game with the people who are making asses of themselves because they've had too much to drink.

In some places, baseball draws big crowds. I've been among them in the West, at games where I never saw a beer vendor. I would love to see the Sox draw big crowds to pay the bills. Apparently in Chicago, though, it's the overpriced beer and adjacent saloons, and not the baseball, that people come out for.

By the end of the season, it would be great to resurrect the banner I first saw in the last year at Old Comiskey: Yuppie scum go back to Wrigley.

Clembasbal
05-10-2005, 12:27 PM
I love baseball. I've been to hundreds of games, from spring training exhibitions to the World Series. I've never had a beer at the ballpark (although a Miller Park vendor questioned my manhood when I asked for a Pepsi), and I certainly wouldn't want to hang out after the game with the people who are making asses of themselves because they've had too much to drink.

In some places, baseball draws big crowds. I've been among them in the West, at games where I never saw a beer vendor. I would love to see the Sox draw big crowds to pay the bills. Apparently in Chicago, though, it's the overpriced beer and adjacent saloons, and not the baseball, that people come out for.

By the end of the season, it would be great to resurrect the banner I first saw in the last year at Old Comiskey: Yuppie scum go back to Wrigley.

Though I enjoy my beer at a baseball game, $6 or whatever they are now is ridiculous. I would much rather tailgate and go to the game, watch baseball, sober up, and tailgate after the game. This is way cooler than paying an astronomical amount of money on one Special Export Beer, or even paying close to that at any of the 6 bars that Roeper mentions. It is a joke down there, even when the Cubs are on the road. I want to have fun as much as the next guy, but packed bars and packed baseball games is not my idea of fun.

Hangar18
05-10-2005, 03:04 PM
Exactly what I say. I don't want to see Sox Park filled up if it means it's being filled with twentysomethings that are only there to be seen because it's "the cool thing to do".

The Place is already cool if Im going on a regular basis, heh heh

PatK
05-10-2005, 04:01 PM
Though I enjoy my beer at a baseball game, $6 or whatever they are now is ridiculous. I would much rather tailgate and go to the game, watch baseball, sober up, and tailgate after the game. This is way cooler than paying an astronomical amount of money on one Special Export Beer, or even paying close to that at any of the 6 bars that Roeper mentions. It is a joke down there, even when the Cubs are on the road. I want to have fun as much as the next guy, but packed bars and packed baseball games is not my idea of fun.

And some of those bars are quite fudge packed.

If I want to go bar hopping, I'll go bar hopping. I want to see baseball, so i go to the Sox game.

Besides, I think the tailgating adds a pretty cool aspect that's pretty unique to Chicago baseball. You can have the bars, the crappy food, and the expensive crappy beer in a plastic cup. I'll be enjoying some good grilled food and quality brew out of the cooler and play catch or bean bag toss.

MIgrenade
05-10-2005, 05:42 PM
What they fail to realize is that the south side is being developed, and when that happens Wrigley won't be so great.

tebman
05-10-2005, 08:15 PM
What they fail to realize is that the south side is being developed, and when that happens Wrigley won't be so great.

Bingo! The Chicago National League Ball Club currently enjoys Roeper's six reasons for their attractiveness to the shallow, disposable-income crowd. But pendulums swing and sands shift, and the day will come when the Sox will enjoy golden days again. :yup:

"There is a season, turn, turn, turn...
And a time for every purpose under heaven."
- from The Byrds, paraphrasing Ecclesiastes

nasox
05-11-2005, 09:15 AM
the southward urban renewal sprawl has already started...

I would say that in the next 7 years, there will be plenty more bars, restaurants and pre and post game hangouts in the immediate area thus negating the attandance advantage they have on the north side..

urban renewal sprawl is a contradictory statement

Sprawl is like suburban sub divisions next to big box retail home depots and walmarts. Urban Renewal is rejuvination burnt out, crappy urban areas with fresh buildings, adding new residences and commercial points of sale.

nasox
05-11-2005, 09:18 AM
Once Wrigley Field is put out of it's misery and succumbs to the wreaking ball, bloated c-list celebrities such as Tom Arnold, Jim Belushi, Bill Murry & Bernie Mac will have to go somewhere else for cheap publicity... which will have a residual effect in shifting the casual fan's perspective that it's no longer the in thing to be a Flubbies Fan.

Tom Arnold is a D list celebrity, Jim Belushi a b list due to his show having 100 episodes, and Bill Murry and Bernie Mac A listers. Bernie Mac is the man.

Palehose13
05-11-2005, 09:25 AM
The Place is already cool if Im going on a regular basis, heh heh

I can't believe people have let this comment slide... :wink:

daveeym
05-11-2005, 10:03 AM
I can't believe people have let this comment slide... :wink: He might be on alot of peoples ignore lists. :o::wink:

TDog
05-11-2005, 10:52 AM
Tom Arnold is a D list celebrity, Jim Belushi a b list due to his show having 100 episodes, and Bill Murry and Bernie Mac A listers. Bernie Mac is the man.

I guess if people have heard of them, they're celebrities. I've heard of Bill Murray because he used to be on the Second City stage, and I know Jim Belushi played a Sox fan in a movie once, but did he have some kind of a show, too?

Hangar18
05-11-2005, 01:02 PM
bloated c-list celebrities such as Tom Arnold, Jim Belushi, Bill Murry & Bernie Mac will have to go somewhere else for cheap publicity... which will have a residual effect in shifting the casual fan's perspective that it's no longer the in thing to be a Flubbies Fan.

YUP. If The Racehorse put out a book (note how numerous Cubune writers and failed novelists are falling-down-running to put out a book about the Cubs/Wrigley/their sheep-like "fans" to make cheap $$$$$) about Wrigley or the "fans" of Wrigley, WGN and the flubbies would be scrambling to have him
in the pressbox to sing the 7th inning, and talking about his book on-air.

The Tribune Corporation knows exactly what theyre doing, when they continue to steal our 7th inning tradition, by having Mel Gibson posing in a cub jersey, the picture than hurriedly beamed to all corners of the globe, in a hollow attempt to legitimize the cubs and their "fans".

The 7th inning stretch has been compromised and turned into an Info-mercial,
and its ashamed that the Chicago Media looks the other way regarding this.
The cubs not only STOLE a SOX tradition and pretend its their own, but theyve further cannabalized it by doing this. Wheres the negative publicity for this?

Fenway
05-11-2005, 01:51 PM
The cubs not only STOLE a SOX tradition and pretend its their own, but theyve further cannabalized it by doing this. Wheres the negative publicity for this?

Cubs did not steal it. Jerry and Eddie let Harry walk out the door convinced the Cubs would never hire him.

Milo Hamilton has never recovered from what happened.

Tekijawa
05-11-2005, 04:33 PM
What about reason number Seven?

7. 85% of the rest of world is working! (a special thank you to Mr. Lee Elia)

tebman
05-11-2005, 07:57 PM
What about reason number Seven?

7. 85% of the rest of world is working! (a special thank you to Mr. Lee Elia)
Yup! And here it is -- listening to this never gets old:

http://www.angelfire.com/il2/cubssuck/elia.htm

SOXintheBURGH
05-11-2005, 08:06 PM
You know whats just hilarious?

Everyone's favorite show, Cold Pizza, has been doing an ongoing "Best Sports Bar in America" segment every week.

#1. Murphy's Bleachers!!

bigfoot
05-11-2005, 08:55 PM
Just wondering........

When, not if, the Blue Menace plays the vast majority of their games at night, will the media wonks be as enamored with the "experience" as they are now?
While the writers can make a deadline and still be home for a late dinner, unlike all other teams, there is a good and selfish reason to say nice things about the Lovable Losers. But when the games are on at night and the business day lasts until the wee hours of the evening/morning it will no longer be a interesting distraction, but yet another job. Time will tell.