PDA

View Full Version : Media buffoonery - Just how much do ESPN hate the Sox?

SoxEd
05-09-2005, 01:50 PM
Ok, so I know I shouldn't be surprised by this fact, but ESPN are doing all in their power to downplay our Sox' success so far.

I can understand them saying nothing about the Pale Hose for the first couple of weeks, because it may just be a flash in the pan, but last week Gammons had a piece about how great the Orioles are doing (Leading the Pack, Orioles on a Roll (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=2051224)).

This has plenty of fluff about ShamMe's new team, and a bunch about the Royals (!), but, curiously, no mention of the Sox - other than the pesky Stat that shows them in unique possession of the best record in baseball. This, for reasons best known to Mr. Gammons, merits absolutely no discussion in the article's text.

This week, I still see nothing positive about us on their site.

The only mentions the Sox get in the articles are derisory digs - in Buster Olney's Chat article (http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=8100), there are two risible digs at the Sox:

Shawn (Amarillo,TX): Buster, how can everyone just look at the White Sox in the AL Central and over look the Twins? They have put together a pretty good run the last few years with a very limited payroll. Joe Mauer seems to be coming around on the track to achieve his potential, Johan is the best pitcher in the game...period, and Torri Hunter is probably the most underrated defensive player in the game. Do you think they have a chance to make it out of the first round after winning they AL Central(finishing 3 games up on the ChiSox)

http://espn-att.starwave.com/i/sn2.gif Buster Olney: Shawn: I'm with you. I still think the Twins are going to win the AL this year; Morneau and Mauer are getting better and better, and with Santana leading that staff, they will be a dangerous post-season team (assuming they get in, either through the division title or the wildcard).

Yeah - the whole of the media is falling over itself to say how great the Sox are, and has been from the start of ST... No one has ever mentioned this about the Twins, ever, have they?

Second piece:
Dan (Washington): So, what about the White Sox do you think will cause them to lose out to the Twins? Do you think Kenny Williams will look to add a bat before the trading deadline, or just look at Frank Thomas as that addition?

http://espn-att.starwave.com/i/sn2.gif Buster Olney: Dan: Kenny is aggressive and he'll find a way to get a bat, if necessary (and it looks like they'll have to do a little tweaking, if Konerko doesn't become more consistent)...

Now, the question reads to me like Dan in Washington is asking 'the Sox are doing great, what about them makes you think they suck', yet the first part has been edited out* and Olney turns his answer in to a sly dig at Konerko (who is joint third in the AL in HR - clearly a useless player).

Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised by this guy's answers, given the usual Cub Love in the top half of the article, but I mean, come on, where are the articles saying 'wow, this team is doing really great, and has surprised us all'?

They could even satisfy any anti-Sox mindset they might have by putting in 'they've done OK against the Useless AL Central, but they'll falter from June onwards'.

What is it about this team that makes the Sports Media not just ignore it, but makes them want to tear it down at every opportunity?

* Is this evidence that I am becoming increasingly paranoid - turning into an English Hangar?

maurice
05-09-2005, 01:57 PM
Last night, a guest on CLTV (local news network) pointed out that the national writers need to be excessively negative about the Sox to feed their egos, since they all picked the Sox to finish in 4th place. Acknowledging that the Sox might actually be a pretty good team would require them to implicitly acknowledge that their pre-season predictions were very bad. Unfortunately, many local reporters also maintain an anti-Sox bias, because they are cub fans.

kittle42
05-09-2005, 02:08 PM
* Is this evidence that I am becoming increasingly paranoid - turning into an English Hangar?

Yes.

Frater Perdurabo
05-09-2005, 02:14 PM
Since maurice and kittle42 stole both points that I otherwise would have made, I'll just compliment the LARD album cover in your sig, SoxEd! Some of the greatest song lyrics of all time come from that very album!

:cool:

1951Campbell
05-09-2005, 02:15 PM
Until MLB starts awarding extra wins for attendence and media coverage, I don't care too much about those two traditional WSI issues. Unless I really want to get lathered up on a slow day.

spawn
05-09-2005, 03:08 PM
Shawn (Amarillo,TX): Buster, how can everyone just look at the White Sox in the AL Central and over look the Twins? They have put together a pretty good run the last few years with a very limited payroll. Joe Mauer seems to be coming around on the track to achieve his potential, Johan is the best pitcher in the game...period, and Torri Hunter is probably the most underrated defensive player in the game. Do you think they have a chance to make it out of the first round after winning they AL Central(finishing 3 games up on the ChiSox)

What is this guy smoking? Who is picking the Sox over the Twins? All I keep hearing is how the Sox are off to a hot start, but the Twins will still win the division. Doesn't seem like the Twins are overlooked to me. And Torii Hunter is underrated? I don't know many underrated outfielders with Gold Gloves.:rolleyes:

TDog
05-10-2005, 11:23 AM
... And Torii Hunter is underrated? I don't know many underrated outfielders with Gold Gloves.:rolleyes:

Toriiiiiiiiiii should have a Platinum Glove or two, but everyone underrates him and only gives him Gold Gloves.

Hangar18
05-10-2005, 11:27 AM
Last night, a guest on CLTV (local news network) pointed out..............

Should read, "Last night, a guest on CLTV (Cub Lovers Tele Vision network) pointed out ..........

Hangar18
05-10-2005, 11:33 AM
That was absurd and ridiculous of ESPN (Eastcoast Sports Propaganda Network)
that they go thru the trouble to write a huge and detailed piece on the Baltimore Orioles and their 2nd best record in baseball, and completely ignore the fact that theres another team that actually has the 1st best record.
Ridiculous

SoxSpeed22
05-10-2005, 11:47 AM
That was absurd and ridiculous of ESPN (Eastcoast Sports Propaganda Network)
that they go thru the trouble to write a huge and detailed piece on the Baltimore Orioles and their 2nd best record in baseball, and completely ignore the fact that theres another team that actually has the 1st best record.
RidiculousIf the Sox should win it all. I'm sure that ESPN will spearhead the "even a blind squirrel finds a nut" or "It was supposed to be the Cubs" and all of that. As long as the Twins are even close, this will continue. I will have to bring this out again...
http://web.utk.edu/~bborchar/episodes/episode25/eps25_7.jpg"Keh"

For those who don't understand, this is my version of "Who cares?".

Clembasbal
05-10-2005, 12:21 PM
If the Sox should win it all. I'm sure that ESPN will spearhead the "even a blind squirrel finds a nut" or "It was supposed to be the Cubs" and all of that. As long as the Twins are even close, this will continue. I will have to bring this out again...

I will almost guarantee that at least every major media outlet will say "It was supposed to be the other Chicago Team" if we even go to the WS. I would like to see us start hitting before I say we can make it, personally. But I agree. That will be said everywhere there is a microphone.

HebrewHammer
05-10-2005, 12:36 PM
I figured after last night's loss the various BT "experts" would be spraying each other with champagne. I just don't get why our team is so hated. No one picked the O's and yet no one is ripping them, yet every time I turn around I see one of the various mediots declaring our run over and failure imminent.

MUScholar21
05-10-2005, 01:10 PM
You all are missing one HUGE point- Gammons doesn't realize there is a team with Sox in their name other than his beloved Red Sox.