PDA

View Full Version : Tom Schaer= attendance shouldn't be a story

PatK
05-09-2005, 12:27 PM
Kudos to Tom Schaer for coming out on his show Saturday morning and saying that the Sox attendance shouldn't even be a story .

He explained things well, comparing this April and last April (which had the Yankees) and comparing them to the league average.

Tom also went on to say that since they don't have nearly as large of a season ticket base as the Cubs, there are a lot more tickets available day of game. Because of that, a lot of the crowd size is dictated by the weather. People that don't have tickets already won't go if the weather is bad.

He cited that historically, they've never had huge attendance in April, and that the crowd sizes get better as the season goes on, especially if the team is doing well.

But what I liked most is that he basically said how this team is playing well, and they are doing so many things right that the subject of attendance shouldn't even be a story and that it's just the result of trying to dig up any possible negative.

Normally, I think he's lame, but I gotta give him props for that.

TommyJohn
05-09-2005, 05:51 PM
Kudos to Tom Schaer for coming out on his show Saturday morning and saying that the Sox attendance shouldn't even be a story .

He explained things well, comparing this April and last April (which had the Yankees) and comparing them to the league average.

Tom also went on to say that since they don't have nearly as large of a season ticket base as the Cubs, there are a lot more tickets available day of game. Because of that, a lot of the crowd size is dictated by the weather. People that don't have tickets already won't go if the weather is bad.

He cited that historically, they've never had huge attendance in April, and that the crowd sizes get better as the season goes on, especially if the team is doing well.

But what I liked most is that he basically said how this team is playing well, and they are doing so many things right that the subject of attendance shouldn't even be a story and that it's just the result of trying to dig up any possible negative.

Either he "gets it" or he reads Hal's columns on a regular basis. Either way,
I'm glad to see someone in the media stand up and say it.

mikehuff
05-10-2005, 10:12 AM
I'm so sick of the attendance talk. It's definitely an attempt to dig up something negative. What do I care if someone is sitting in section 204, row 8, seat #6? I'm there to watch the team, not other fans. That's what Wrigley is for.

The argument is that people don't come out to the park even though the Sox are winning. Give me a break. Sox fans are already aware that 80% of the city is a bunch of idiots who show up to support a losing team on the other side of the city. What do you blame Sox fans for?
Why don't you blame the people at Wrigley? Those are some of the people that don't show up to Comiskey to see the Sox play. Why would they?

If you think about how stupid this is it makes you sick.

elrod
05-10-2005, 10:15 AM
Who is Tom Schaer?

nasox
05-10-2005, 10:21 AM
Who is Tom Schaer?

That's what you should be asking yourself because he's on ESPN1000 saturday mornings. Does the SC updates during Mike and Mike. Cubs fan

batmanZoSo
05-10-2005, 11:04 AM
Weather has everything to do with attendance at the Cell. If you go back to last year, it's almost night and day when you compare April and the warmer months where we had many games that were close to capacity.

Hangar18
05-10-2005, 11:19 AM
I want to shake his hand and Buy this guy a drink. Not to get off the subject,
but Im really starting to admire Tom Shaer and his professionalism as well as his
knowledge of sports. He does a thing mornings, during the Mike & Mike NFL/NBA Supershow Spectacular, called the Chicago Sports Minute. He comes on right after the numerous commercials, and basically in 1 minute,
says more, makes more sense of, and makes a perfect comment on whats
going on in the world of sports and chicago sports in particular. This is
particularly excellent, seeing how the 2 nimrods that are on mornings, take hours to say the same thing Shaer can get across in just 60 seconds. Very Impressive. The other day, he lambasted the Chicago Media for kissing Kerry Woods butt all these years, and said its time for them to stop following him around and anointing him a saviour when the stats over the years simply dont bear it out. He said was time to call him just a good pitcher.
Excellent. Meanwhile, M&M are talking about the possibility Clemens ends up in a Yankee uniform and what Van Gundy said, both brought up for like the 10th day in a row.

Good Job Tom, you do journalism a big favor.

pinwheels3530
05-10-2005, 11:20 AM
That's what you should be asking yourself because he's on ESPN1000 saturday mornings. Does the SC updates during Mike and Mike. Cubs fan

Tom Shaer is a fan of both teams, but if he had to choose one it would be the Sox. I know this because I had a conversation with him at Soxfest. He mentioned that he attends more Sox games with his son and is close to people that work for the organization.

Hangar18
05-10-2005, 11:21 AM

If Tom Shaer is a cub fan, than he deserves even more Kudos. The guy is
fair, bright and very timely in his opinions.

pinwheels3530
05-10-2005, 11:28 AM
Weather has everything to do with attendance at the Cell. If you go back to last year, it's almost night and day when you compare April and the warmer months where we had many games that were close to capacity.

Your exactly right! A wonder where all the attendance bashers will be when were packed for the Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox & Twins games this summer. Every Sox fan knows well have huge crowds this summer on firework nights & kids day etc. Sox attendance always gets better in the summer!!

Sad
05-10-2005, 11:36 AM
Tom Shaer is a fan of both teams, but if he had to choose one it would be the Sox. I know this because I had a conversation with him at Soxfest. He mentioned that he attends more Sox games with his son and is close to people that work for the organization.

I wonder if Tom was considered as a replacement for Willsy? I thought he'd have been a good fit...

seanpmurphy
05-10-2005, 12:12 PM
Your exactly right! A wonder where all the attendance bashers will be when were packed for the Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox & Twins games this summer. Every Sox fan knows well have huge crowds this summer on firework nights & kids day etc. Sox attendance always gets better in the summer!!

Already got a couple of tickets to one of the Dodgers games. UD behind home plate. I watch the Sox every chance I get on television down here at school and I see just as many empty seats at almost all of their road games, but no one comments on that. Whatever. If people don't want to come see a winning team, that's their own fault. If they'd rather go see an overrated, pathetic attempt at having a team up near Boystown, that's their problem too. I don't see why it matters as long as the Sox win. The Sox could have the record they do right now, not have sold a single ticket all season long, and they'd still be the best team in baseball. It's always something with the media or uneducated baseball types in general.

One thing I do like is that The Cell doesn't sellout as often as Wrigley. It's reassuring to know that if me and some friends are bored and its a weeknight during the summer, chances are we can drive into the city and go see a Sox game just like that. Good luck fighting through the frat-jocks and alcoholics who've already bought every ticket for every game on the northside. What's the fun in that?

Hitmen77
05-10-2005, 01:13 PM
The argument is that people don't come out to the park even though the Sox are winning. Give me a break. Sox fans are already aware that 80% of the city is a bunch of idiots who show up to support a losing team on the other side of the city. What do you blame Sox fans for?
Why don't you blame the people at Wrigley? Those are some of the people that don't show up to Comiskey to see the Sox play. Why would they?

I completely agree. Sox fans are great at supporting their team and going to games. The problem is the majority of people in Chicago who are casual fans who have only a passing interest in baseball - but they'll plunk down money to see losers and refuse to support the Sox. These people are idiots who don't appreciate an exciting winning team. These lemmings have been brainwashed into thinking that it's dangerous to go to Sox Park, every seat at Sox Park is bad, etc.

Chicagoans in general are terrible sports fans - but that does not apply to Sox fans.

Dick Allen
05-10-2005, 05:44 PM
I completely agree. Sox fans are great at supporting their team and going to games. The problem is the majority of people in Chicago who are casual fans who have only a passing interest in baseball - but they'll plunk down money to see losers and refuse to support the Sox. These people are idiots who don't appreciate an exciting winning team. These lemmings have been brainwashed into thinking that it's dangerous to go to Sox Park, every seat at Sox Park is bad, etc.

Chicagoans in general are terrible sports fans - but that does not apply to Sox fans.It's not so much that Chicagoans are terrible sports fans, it's just that this has become basically a country of stupid people.

Wsoxmike59
05-11-2005, 06:37 AM
The SCORE started going downhill the moment Tom Schaer left the station. He is a class act and he always reported baseball in Chicago fairly.

34 Inch Stick
05-11-2005, 08:12 AM
Hangar and mike, put the bong down. That stuff is beginning to completely fry your brain.

Pulaski
05-11-2005, 10:02 AM

He was right on. Keep wining Sox and the Fans will come (with the warm weather).