PDA

View Full Version : Nitpicking question on game situation

hawkjt
05-09-2005, 12:11 PM
yesterday. Top of the 8th sox up 5-4 and they put the first two batters on 1st and 2nd. Carl at the plate. Do we not play for the insurance run here and have Carl sacrifice runners to 2nd and 3rd?

Is it because;
1. Carl cannot bunt- early in his career he was a speedster and I assume he used to bunt.
2. Oz does not want to offend Carl by asking him to give up an AB by bunting.
3. Oz was going for the knockout blow with a big inning.

I just think if this is our philosophy now we should go all the way in obvious situations like this. We have passed up these opportunities in earlier games and I just think that in yesterdays situation this is a no-brainer with our approach unless the guy absolutely has no chance to get a bunt down. If that is the case with Carl then I am surprised and disapointed. If it is Carl's ego then my reaction would be the same.

Also, it kind of bothers me that Aaron Rowand was out to dinner with Zahn and his wife on Sat. nite. You do not have to hate your opponent but socializing in the middle of a series? Zahn is 34 ,so I would be surprised if they were minor league buddies. Just my two cents.

As I said- we are down to true nit-picking at this point but second-guessing is part of baseball no matter the record. Go Sox!!!

mweflen
05-09-2005, 12:15 PM
Eh, players are sociable with opposing guys all the time. If there's no particular enmity between teams or individuals, I think it's silly to ask them to be "pretend enemies" all year.

I don't think Zaun was tipping Aaron on any pitches or Aaron was easing up because they might or might not be friends.

MIgrenade
05-09-2005, 12:17 PM
I think it's like Hawk says, "Don't make a guy do something he can't do." Personally I've noticed we aren't moving runners like we did early and I am worried only because it is supposed to be the way we win.
As for Rowand and Zaun, that's ridiculous. These guys are around their own team for 6 months straight at some point they need to get out I'm sure.

gosox83
05-09-2005, 12:19 PM
WOW.

What a post! At the exact same time you posted this I was posting a reply to the thread regarding the White Sox getting runners in from 3rd with less than two outs, wondering why we didn't bunt Everett in the same situation you are referring to.

Right minds think alike!

GO SOX!!

Jjav829
05-09-2005, 12:26 PM
Also, it kind of bothers me that Aaron Rowand was out to dinner with Zahn and his wife on Sat. nite. You do not have to hate your opponent but socializing in the middle of a series? Zahn is 34 ,so I would be surprised if they were minor league buddies. Just my two cents.

Sorry, but that's ridiculous. Who cares if they socialize with players on other teams? I think fans tend to forget that baseball players are humans. They're just like us, only they perform their job in front of a large audience. Especially with the player movement we see these days, guys have friends scattered all over the majors. I couldn't care less if Rowand goes out to dinner with Zaun and his wife. Good for him. Do you actually think these guys only socialize with teammates during the season? You'd be completely wrong if you think that. Rowand also played college ball with Reed Johnson. Would you be opposed to him going drinking with Reed while he's in town? I'm sure he'd love to know that he has your approval...

BRDSR
05-09-2005, 02:47 PM

That's a silly thing to let bother you. Also, extremely rude. The Sox and Toronto play eachother 9 times a year, thats three series, and with the busy lives that players lead(yes, even in the offseason) it would be very hard to have time to see your friends and make special trips to see them. When you're already there, you've got to hang out. I wouldn't make a trip out to California without spending an evening with a couple great friends who have moved there over the years.

Second, I agree with the rest of your post. I would much rather have less of a power hitter at the plate if it meant moving both runners over. People have to remember that in this style of offense, it is just as greivous not to score a man on second with no outs as it is not to score a man from third with one out. I'm sure Carl can bunt, and probably wouldn't even be offended. I would have just as soon see Iguchi pinch hit in that situation off the bench. He's a great situational hitter. If we get a run or two there we probably aren't having the heart attacks we did in the 9th.

elrod
05-09-2005, 03:29 PM
The old school rule on fraternizing is you never talk to the other guys when they're in uniform and you're in uniform. That means no chatting during BP or between innnings or while on 1B. But once the uniform comes off and you're back in street clothes, then you're a real human again and you can socialize at will. That's how it used to be, at least.