PDA

View Full Version : Radtke Twist

duke of dorwood
11-08-2001, 10:52 AM
Pitchers Brad Radke and Rick Reed have the right to request a trade within 15 days of the end of the World Series.

But Major League Baseball's announcement that it intends to contract two teams before the start of next season has made their cases, and those of other Twins with multiyear contracts, more involved.

What happens to these players' contracts if the Twins are contracted?

Radke said from his home in Largo, Fla., on Wednesday he was unsure whether or not he would try to invoke his opt-out clause or if it would be influenced by contraction worries.

"I really don't know what I'm going to do," said Radke, who has three years remaining on a four-year, $36 million deal. "I haven't really talked about it with my agent. We'll meet at the beginning of next week and check my options and we should have an answer some time next week."

Ron Simon, Radke's agent, said Tuesday he would advise Radke not to report to his new team if he was placed in a dispersal draft, that becomes part of contraction.

Reed has the right to ask for a trade because he was dealt in the midst of a three-year, $21.75 million deal. He could not be reached for comment.

"If [contraction] does come to pass, it's something that has to be negotiated with the union," said Greg Bouris, spokesman for the players' union. "That remains to be seen. When they sit down we will discuss those matters."

Twins General Manager Terry Ryan said he also didn't know the ramifications of contraction on long-term contracts.

Such, Martin out Ryan's managerial search has been put on hold because of possible contraction. But that has not stopped him from firing people.

Ryan on Monday informed pitching coach Dick Such and trainer Dick Martin they would not have their contracts renewed for 2002.

"We are going to make some changes," Ryan said.

That did not go over well with Such, the pitching coach since Sept. 8, 1985, or Martin, the team trainer since 1972.

Martin thought the timing, a day before the announcement of possible contraction, was strange.

"If a team is going to dissolve, why do this?" Martin said. "This was done at 4:30 p.m. the day before a major meeting to determine the careers of everyone in the organization."