PDA

View Full Version : Pitching Matchups for Cubs Series?

Qdaddy
05-09-2005, 12:15 PM
I thought someone posted this already, but does anyone know what the matchup's are going to be???

Thanks,
CUBKILLA "Q"

MUsoxfan
05-09-2005, 12:16 PM
The Cubs are due for at least 5 or 6 rotation shakeups by that point. I think I figured Garcia, Contreras and El Duque for our Sox

NonetheLoaiza
05-09-2005, 12:24 PM
The Cubs are due for at least 5 or 6 rotation shakeups by that point. I think I figured Garcia, Contreras and El Duque for our Sox

The Sox have an off day right before that series, so I'm wondering if Ozzie plays the rotation to get in either Garland or Buerhle to face the Cubs. There is no real reason to shake up the rotation, other than it being a big series, but it's been done before.

MUScholar21
05-09-2005, 12:30 PM
The Sox have an off day right before that series, so I'm wondering if Ozzie plays the rotation to get in either Garland or Buerhle to face the Cubs. There is no real reason to shake up the rotation, other than it being a big series, but it's been done before.

I SINCERELY hope not. I don't want this mistake being made again. Manuel used to look at the Cubs series on the schedule and would figure out who he wanted to pitch against them. He would then work backwards, all the way to Opening Day, to figure out the beginning of the season.

Come on Sox fans-I'm tired of trying to argue that our team cares more about the sCrUBS than it does the Twins. This series is something we need to win for our record, not-I repeat NOT-some stupid show of pride in this city. The pride comes with the overall record.

PatK
05-09-2005, 12:36 PM
Ozzie stuck with the regular rotation last year, and I think he'll stick with it again.

mweflen
05-09-2005, 12:37 PM
Yeah, no way to predict who the Cubs will send to the bump by then.

I hope we save Buehrle and Garland for Anaheim (LAAAAA). They're more of a threat.

itsnotrequired
05-09-2005, 12:39 PM
Ozzie stuck with the regular rotation last year, and I think he'll stick with it again.

That's my bet as well. Why mess with a good thing just for one non-divisional, non-league series?

MIgrenade
There's no reason to change it. The Sox aren't going to lose.

skottyj242
Why in the hell are you guys worrying about games that are a couple of weeks away? Worry about us beating Tampa Bay and Baltimore than worry about some two bit four games below five hundred laughing stock of a francise.

cleanwsox
I SINCERELY hope not. I don't want this mistake being made again. Manuel used to look at the Cubs series on the schedule and would figure out who he wanted to pitch against them. He would then work backwards, all the way to Opening Day, to figure out the beginning of the season.

Come on Sox fans-I'm tired of trying to argue that our team cares more about the sCrUBS than it does the Twins. This series is something we need to win for our record, not-I repeat NOT-some stupid show of pride in this city. The pride comes with the overall record.

For the middle of the season, these kind of games with playoff atmospheres don't come along all the time. I don't agree with the Manuel scenario, but if possible, I would move my best pitchers into this spot. Too bad we have 5 great pitchers so we don't really need to move around the rotation, but if we only had Buerhle, Garcia, and Garland and two scrubs like Danny Wright and Schoeneweis, I would be all for moving around the rotation.

Sox of White
05-09-2005, 12:41 PM
Yeah, no way to predict who the Cubs will send to the bump by then.

I hope we save Buehrle and Garland for Anaheim (LAAAAA). They're more of a threat.

We do not need Buehrle to be shifted out of rotation just for the scrubs. But, maybe we should start Takatsu against the scrubs, just to mess with them.

Sox of White
05-09-2005, 12:43 PM
For the middle of the season, these kind of games with playoff atmospheres don't come along all the time. I don't agree with the Manuel scenario, but if possible, I would move my best pitchers into this spot. Too bad we have 5 great pitchers so we don't really need to move around the rotation, but if we only had Buerhle, Garcia, and Garland and two scrubs like Danny Wright and Schoeneweis, I would be all for moving around the rotation.

Exactly, our whole rotation can handle them fine. I mean, our fifth spot is undefeated! Enough said.

DrCrawdad
05-09-2005, 12:45 PM

Exactly! I'd love for the Sox to win all six against the Cubbies, but in the end what really matters to me is NOT what the Sox do against the Cubbies but how the Sox do overall. If the Sox won a World Series but lost both series to the Cubbies I'd be happy. Although we'd have to hear from all the ass-clowns.

http://home.mindspring.com/~dcrosby101/assclown.jpg

owensmouth
05-09-2005, 12:54 PM
The Sox have an off day right before that series, so I'm wondering if Ozzie plays the rotation to get in either Garland or Buerhle to face the Cubs. There is no real reason to shake up the rotation, other than it being a big series, but it's been done before.Ozzie's got the rotation set up fine. We have two four game series coming up in the next coupla weeks, one against the number one team in the east, and a second against the number one team in the west. As it breaks down now, barring weather or injury, the Orioles and the Angels will both face Garland/Buehrle/Freddie and Contreras.

mweflen
05-09-2005, 12:56 PM
While of course I'd like a 6-0 double sweep, the Sox can go 0-6 against the Flubbies for all I care, as long as they go deep into the playoffs. And as long as the Cubs don't make it at all :smile:

anewman35
05-09-2005, 01:09 PM
Ozzie's got the rotation set up fine. We have two four game series coming up in the next coupla weeks, one against the number one team in the east, and a second against the number one team in the west. As it breaks down now, barring weather or injury, the Orioles and the Angels will both face Garland/Buehrle/Freddie and Contreras.

Does it even matter at the moment? I mean, sure, he's sometimes a bit scary, but El Duque has a 2.92 ERA. Any 3 or 4 of our pitchers in most any series give us a good chance to win every game, so I'm not even worried about who gets thrown what series.

Baby Fisk
05-09-2005, 01:10 PM
I'm with anewman35: The exact rotation doesn't matter, because right now any one of our starters is capable of beating the Cubs, or any other team for that matter. Enjoy it. Nuff said.

StrTrkker
05-09-2005, 01:19 PM
Why in the hell are you guys worrying about games that are a couple of weeks away? Worry about us beating Tampa Bay and Baltimore than worry about some two bit four games below five hundred laughing stock of a francise.

Agreed.

And I might add...that Tampa Bay & Baltimore and even those pesky Twins are very worried about US.

Qdaddy
05-09-2005, 01:45 PM
I got it!!! What about bring B-Mac up just to face the Cubs. The Sox can place someone on the DL with a minor injury. We get the best of both worlds...

Whatcha guys think?

MUsoxfan
05-09-2005, 01:50 PM
I got it!!! What about bring B-Mac up just to face the Cubs. The Sox can place someone on the DL with a minor injury. We get the best of both worlds...

Whatcha guys think?

Either you're joking in an inappropriate font, or you're out of your mind. There's no in-between on that comment.

NonetheLoaiza
05-09-2005, 01:57 PM
I didn't think that Ozzie would shake up the rotation, after all, if it ain't broke...I was just thinking that it might be an option because of the off day.

DrCrawdad
05-11-2005, 12:20 AM
With Wood out, the pitchers they're shuffling in and out of the rotation and the three off days they have before the Sox series it's hard to know for sure. Here are two ways it could go.

IF the Cubbie pitchers go every fifth game here's how it may look...

Friday: (Rusch)
Saturday: Zambrano
Sunday: (Mitre)

IF the Cubbie pitchers go every fifth day here's how it may look...

Friday: Maddux
Saturday: Prior
Sunday: (Rusch)

cubhater
05-11-2005, 12:43 AM
While of course I'd like a 6-0 double sweep, the Sox can go 0-6 against the Flubbies for all I care, as long as they go deep into the playoffs. And as long as the Cubs don't make it at all :smile:

I don't give a crap about going deep in the playoffs. Just win the whole damn thing. That's the purpose of playing the season. Losing to someone in the playoffs or regular season means they're better than you and I'm sick of it.

cubhater
05-11-2005, 12:55 AM

Whatcha guys think?

Huh?

soxjim
05-11-2005, 08:31 AM
Why change now? the cubs are just anther team on the schedule. Sure a sweep would be nice so are other sweeps and going to the playoffs. In the future spliting up Contreras and Elduque may be an option to save the bullpen so they dont work 3-4 innings on back to back games. But for now leave it alone.

rwcescato
05-11-2005, 12:51 PM
With Wood out, the pitchers they're shuffling in and out of the rotation and the three off days they have before the Sox series it's hard to know for sure. Here are two ways it could go.

IF the Cubbie pitchers go every fifth game here's how it may look...

Friday: (Rusch)
Saturday: Zambrano
Sunday: (Mitre)

IF the Cubbie pitchers go every fifth day here's how it may look...

Friday: Maddux
Saturday: Prior
Sunday: (Rusch)

Actuall as long as no rainouts happen
Friday
Garcia vs Zambrano
sat
Contreras vs Maddux
sun
El Duque vs Prior

DrCrawdad
05-11-2005, 01:47 PM
Actuall as long as no rainouts happen
Friday
Garcia vs Zambrano
sat
Contreras vs Maddux
sun
El Duque vs Prior

I guess they could have him pitch Friday (5/13), then skip the Wednesday 5/18 game and have him pitch the opener against the Sox. If they do that, then they will have altered their rotation for the Sox series. Remember how Grobber and other Cubbie fans howled about Manuel doing that with the Sox rotation a few years ago?

Zambrano pitched on Sunday. I assume that Zambrano will pitch every fifth day, on Friday (5/13) at Washington, Wednesday (5/18) at Pittsburgh then AFTER the Sox series on Monday (5/23) vs. Houston.

The Sox rotation seems like it's been quite consistent with the rotation not being altered, yet. So it's quite easy to project the Sox starters. The Cubbies is in flux with Wood out and only three regular starters. Factor in the off three off days they have before the series and it's hard to predict at this point.

I wouldn't be surprised though if they altered their rotation so as to have their three regulars - Zambrano, Maddux and Prior face the Sox. At this point though I'm not sure how they'd work that.