PDA

View Full Version : Mike And Mike give props.

RavenswoodFan
05-09-2005, 09:35 AM
Just listen to the Mike and Mike show and they were pretty complimentary to the Sox! The were saying that they think that the wild card will likely come out of the central division and this could be the best race in baseball (WS vs. Twirps) this season.

The band wagon is really starting to fill up!

SSN721
05-09-2005, 09:37 AM
Just listen to the Mike and Mike show and they were pretty complimentary to the Sox! The were saying that they think that the wild card will likely come out of the central division and this could be the best race in baseball (WS vs. Twirps) this season.

The band wagon is really starting to fill up!

You can say that again. I still think it is funny how all these guys have to do an about face to try to pretend they didnt pick every other team in baseball basically to make the playoffs and not even consider the SOx.

wdelaney72
05-09-2005, 09:42 AM
I heard this, as well. It's amazing how easily the wind changes direction.

spawn
05-09-2005, 09:47 AM
Actually, before the season started, Greenberg thought the Sox had a chance at winning the division. Their Baseball Expert, Steve Phillips, was saying how the Sox had no pitching (he also made a comment about how old Contreras and El Duque were) or offense and would finish 4th. I'm waiting for him to come on their show again. Buster Olney also had high praise for the Sox as well.

BaseballTonyght
05-09-2005, 09:47 AM
You can say that again. I still think it is funny how all these guys have to do an about face to try to pretend they didnt pick every other team in baseball basically to make the playoffs and not even consider the SOx.

Actually, there was no such pretension. They admitted to believing the Sox didn't have much of a chance this year and the quote was something like "we [Mike and Mike] had all but given the wildcard to the 2nd place team in the AL East".

They seemed surprised, humbled and excited about the level of competition in the AL Central this year. At least listen to the broadcast before you accuse someone of doing an "about face". Mike and Mike always seem to give it straight. Do not confuse them with the local media.

infohawk
05-09-2005, 09:54 AM
Actually, before the season started, Greenberg thought the Sox had a chance at winning the division. Their Baseball Expert, Steve Phillips, was saying how the Sox had no pitching (he also made a comment about how old Contreras and El Duque were) or offense and would finish 4th. I'm waiting for him to come on their show again. Buster Olney also had high praise for the Sox as well.

I heard Phillips on XM radio yesterday. He still thinks the Sox will fade. While others seem to be coming around, he remains very skeptical. Whatever.

bluestar
05-09-2005, 10:02 AM

Phillips was on ESPN Radio yesterday on their baseball show. The subject of the Sox came up. He again mentioned how he didn't think Contreras and El Duque would keep up their good performances so far. He even mispronounced Buerhle's name (he called him "Burl") while saying he is having a "pretty good" year. He didn't mention Garland or Garcia. He was very admant in his belief that the Twins were going to win the AL Central, and the Sox were just on a very temporary hot streak. They talked about how everyone is saying the Sox have such great team chemistry, and Phillips said something like, "Yeah, all teams have great team chemistry when they are winning. Wait until this team goes cold and see how great the chemistry is." He went on to lambast Ozzie, calling him a "loose cannon" that would destroy whatever team chemistry there was once the team stopped winning. He predicted big clubhouse problems when Thomas returns, and said he thought Ozzie would add fuel to the fire in making those problems even worse.

elrod
05-09-2005, 10:05 AM
Phillips was on ESPN Radio yesterday on their baseball show. The subject of the Sox came up. He again mentioned how he didn't think Contreras and El Duque would keep up their good performances so far. He even mispronounced Buerhle's name (he called him "Burl") while saying he is having a "pretty good" year. He didn't mention Garland or Garcia. He was very admant in his belief that the Twins were going to win the AL Central, and the Sox were just on a very temporary hot streak. They talked about how everyone is saying the Sox have such great team chemistry, and Phillips said something like, "Yeah, all teams have great team chemistry when they are winning. Wait until this team goes cold and see how great the chemistry is." He went on to lambast Ozzie, calling him a "loose cannon" that would destroy whatever team chemistry there was once the team stopped winning. He predicted big clubhouse problems when Thomas returns, and said he thought Ozzie would add fuel to the fire in making those problems even worse.

Coming from the man who singlehandedly ruined the New York Mets, I'd take his words with a grain of salt.

iwcup
05-09-2005, 10:16 AM
Coming from the man who singlehandedly ruined the New York Mets, I'd take his words with a grain of salt.

You beat me to it... thanks for bringing up that fact that phillips WAS a GM, a failed one at that.... I would like to think that an "expert" would at least be able to pronounce the names of a teams rotation correctly before writing them off...

but then again thats the way we like it, Under the RADAR.

daveeym
05-09-2005, 10:25 AM
") and the Sox were just on a very temporary hot streak. I'll keep taking temporary hot 8 game winning streaks all season long. What a maroon. He must suck some serious you know what to have gotten a GM and expert position because he may just be the most ill informed and least knowledgeable baseball guy I've ever heard.

Harry Chappas
05-09-2005, 10:30 AM
I caught the ESPN radio baseball segment towards the end, just in time to hear them completely dismiss the White Sox. After stroking the Twins for a few minutes they said they were not only going to win the division, but that it wouldn't be close. I think their exact words were that the Twins would "run away with it." Huh? How many games do the Sox have to win before people start taking them seriously?

SoxFan78
05-09-2005, 10:38 AM
I caught the ESPN radio baseball segment towards the end, just in time to here them completely dismiss the White Sox. After stroking the Twins for a few minutes they said they were not only going to win the division, but that it wouldn't be close. I think their exact words were that the Twins would "run away with it." Huh? How many games do the Sox have to win before people start taking them seriously?

The White Sox need to go 155-7 to get the respect in ESPN's eyes.

And no, that shouldn't be in teal.

itsnotrequired
05-09-2005, 10:40 AM
I'll keep taking temporary hot 8 game winning streaks all season long. What a maroon. He must suck some serious you know what to have gotten a GM and expert position because he may just be the most ill informed and least knowledgeable baseball guy I've ever heard.

I'll take those streaks as well. 8 straight wins follwed by 3 straight losses works out to something like 115 wins. What a lousy record.

WhteSox725
05-09-2005, 10:42 AM
I'll take those streaks as well. 8 straight wins follwed by 3 straight losses works out to something like 115 wins. What a lousy record.

115 wins? That's getting into Cubs Territory there.

bluestar
05-09-2005, 10:53 AM
You beat me to it... thanks for bringing up that fact that phillips WAS a GM, a failed one at that.... I would like to think that an "expert" would at least be able to pronounce the names of a teams rotation correctly before writing them off...

but then again thats the way we like it, Under the RADAR.

I guarantee you Phillips couldn't tell you who plays for the Sox, other than the two former Yankees. It was obvious he had to look at something to read Buerhle's name. He mentioned Contreras and Hernandez and then said, "and...uh...(pause)... BURL is having a pretty good year so far." It was pretty obvious from his comments that he doesn't know anything about the team other than they have a great record so far and he obviously had heard Ozzie's comments to the media with the Maggs situation.

This is what aggravates me about some in the media. I don't care if anyone thinks the Sox are for real or not. I don't care who any writer or sportscaster picks to win anything. I completely agree that I would just as soon the Sox stay under the radar. But I hate it when these talking heads go off on a team when they obviously know nothing about them outside what can be quickly discerned by a quick glance at a stats sheet. Phillips went on a mini-tirade about Ozzie; he was almost shouting. It was as if he has some personal beef with Ozzie. I thought it really sounded like he was angry at the Sox for doing so well so far.

soxtalker
05-09-2005, 11:06 AM

It sounds like Philips hasn't paid much attention to the Sox. However, some of what he says may have some validity. That comment about team chemistry has occurred to me. It's easy to have good team chemistry while the team is winning. It will be interesting to see if this holds up when we go into the inevitable losing period. The closest we've come to that is the three losses between the two eight-game winning streaks.

Mark
05-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Not to mention that he was suspended from his GM job and came close to losing it for "making time" with his secretary and eventually being caught. I'm sure his wife and kids appreciated that.

Ol' No. 2
05-09-2005, 11:14 AM
I thought it really sounded like he was angry at the Sox for doing so well so far.He is. The best team in baseball is showing him up.

wdelaney72
05-09-2005, 11:15 AM
Not to mention that he was suspended from his GM job and came close to losing it for "making time" with his secretary and eventually being caught. I'm sure his wife and kids appreciated that.

Looks like we have baseball's version of Dennis Green. Except, Dennis Green has at least had some success.

Steve Phillips is a complete turd.

jdm2662
05-09-2005, 11:26 AM
The guy is just another so called "expert" that was dead wrong about the Sox and won't admit it. It's making him look bad. As KW has said, "We don't care". If you are going to have an opinion on something, use facts to back it up. Not doing this is taking the Marriotti approach, which is common in the media these days.
________
TEEN PETIT (http://www.****tube.com/categories/1046/petit/videos/1)

SoxWillWin
05-09-2005, 11:28 AM
They seemed surprised, humbled and excited about the level of competition in the AL Central this year.

Well at least between The Sox and Twins anyway

elrod
05-09-2005, 11:32 AM
It sounds like Philips hasn't paid much attention to the Sox. However, some of what he says may have some validity. That comment about team chemistry has occurred to me. It's easy to have good team chemistry while the team is winning. It will be interesting to see if this holds up when we go into the inevitable losing period. The closest we've come to that is the three losses between the two eight-game winning streaks.

And what did we do after the three-game losing streak? I said it at the time too. Oakland debacles tend to kill the team. This time it didn't. Why? The chemistry is a part of it.

SSN721
05-09-2005, 11:42 AM
Actually, there was no such pretension. They admitted to believing the Sox didn't have much of a chance this year and the quote was something like "we [Mike and Mike] had all but given the wildcard to the 2nd place team in the AL East".

They seemed surprised, humbled and excited about the level of competition in the AL Central this year. At least listen to the broadcast before you accuse someone of doing an "about face". Mike and Mike always seem to give it straight. Do not confuse them with the local media.

Or confuse them with all the media. I listen to them every morning, I like them but I dont know if I would say they always, "give it straight." You are right they themselves really werent condemning the Sox, I have always though Greenberg kinda pulled for them since he got to cover the early 90's teams which I think we all love and have fond memories of. Golic is an Indians fan but usually since baseball isnt a big deal to him anyway he doesnt really let his bias show. I suppose it is more of the large amount of guess and baseball "experts" and especially Steve Philips that condemn the Sox and give them no chance that I just kinda lump them in. Thier Cub centric reporting when it comes to talking about Chicago baseball up until this week was irritating but I understand they also just have a bigger national following.

TomParrish79
05-09-2005, 01:19 PM
Phillips is the same great general manager that gave Mo Vaughn close to 100 million dollars and watched Big Mo play a total of about 40 games.

The guy is an idiot. Hell he even looks like an idiot.

owensmouth
05-09-2005, 01:27 PM
I'd just like to thank Greenberg and Golic for one thing: neither of them picked the White Sox to win the division originally. As a matter of fact, Greenberg said he received numerous requests from Sox fans to NOT pick the White Sox. Greenberg picked the Twins and Golic picked Cleveland. That's probably why we've got the best record in baseball.

RavenswoodFan
05-09-2005, 03:37 PM
They also mentioned that the stat of the Sox leading in games IS a big deal and shows that the pitching is getting the job done. Contrary to so many other "so called baseball experts"! They also mentioned that the Sox bats are starting to come to life showing more signs that this team is for real!:smile:

skobabe8
05-09-2005, 04:43 PM
Note to Steve Phillips, Mike and Mike, BBTN, and everyone else who picked us to finish 3rd or 4th in the pre-season:

STAY OFF THE BANDWAGON. WE DON'T WANT YOU.