PDA

View Full Version : King George has the $$$$

Paulwny
11-08-2001, 06:46 AM
The series isn't gone from my mind and already the yankmees are pissing me off!!!!

The Yankees have begun their organizational meetings in Tampa, and free agent Jason Giambi is at the center of the discussions.

Selig did not identify which two teams would be contracted, yet the widely held belief is that the Montreal Expos and Minnesota Twins have been targeted. If that is the case, then the Yankees would likely try to acquire rightfielder Vladimir Guerrero, who is only 25. Guerrero hits for average and power, he has a superb throwing arm and he is signed through 2003 for an annual average of $5.6 million.

If baseball holds a dispersal draft for the players from the contracted teams, then either the Pirates or Devil Rays - both 62-100 this year - could choose first. The Pirates could select Guerrero and try to trade him to the Yankees or another team. Or they could keep Guerrero and trade All-Star outfielder Brian Giles, whom the Yankees have always liked.

If the players from the contracted teams are declared free agents, then the Yankees could pursue them in the open market.

The Yankees would have obvious interest in Montreal starting pitcher Javier Vazquez and Twins lefthander Eric Milton, whom they drafted in 1996 and sent to Minnesota in the 1998 Chuck Knoblauch trade. Twins third baseman Corey Koskie could patrol the hot corner until Drew Henson is ready, and Expos second baseman Jose Vidro could allow Alfonso Soriano to switch to left- or centerfield.

cheeses_h_rice
11-08-2001, 09:48 AM
"The rich get richer..."

PaleHoseGeorge
11-08-2001, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
"The rich get richer..."

And contraction does nothing to fix this.

Gee, what a surprise.

WinningUgly!
11-08-2001, 08:38 PM
How can Yankee fans really ever "brag up" a franchise that wins like this? Yes they do have quite a few homegrown core players on their team every year, but really no more than any other quality organization in baseball. It sickens me to see the way they "bottom-feed" on the financially strapped franchises season after season to put them over the top! Just thinking about them stealing away studs like Giambi & Vlad from the poor A's & Expos has me pissed off. The A's & Expos are two of the best organizations in baseball, as far as drafting & developing young talent goes. They lose what would be their core players to guys like Steinbrenner, just because of his fat wallet. All Yankee fans should be embarassed to even wear the Yankee logo at all. They should all have to wear hats with George's face on them. That's why they are always so damn great. Yay team!

CLR01
11-09-2001, 02:43 AM
Definition.
Small Market Team=Cheap ass owner who is not willing to spend what it takes to put a winner on the field and bring the fans to the park.

Any Questions?

You can cry about Steinbrenner spending money all you want but it solves nothing. Obviously he has an advantage over everyone else because his team is located in the largest city in the US, but I also believe his teams win because he cares about winning more than the average owner who only buys the team as an investment. He could easily spend only 45-60 million a year, put an average team out on the field and just suck up the profits but he chooses to go all out, spend the money and make sure he has a series contender every year, and he has made even more money doing it his way.

1-NY Yankees-1
1-NY Mets-4
3-Dodgers-3
4-Chicago Cubs-14
4-Chicago WS-16
6-Philadelphia-20
7- San Diego-25
8-Texas-7
9-Detroit-20
10-San Francisco-15

That is a list of the top 10 markets in MLB and their payroll rank(as of last season). You can not convince me the owners of the other 9 teams listed can not compete with big bad George financially. Hell Atlanta can do it and they are only the 20th largest market in the MLB. In fact only 3 of those teams have a higher payroll than Atlanta. If the other owners in baseball would take a risk of losing some of their own money trying to field a consistent winner, the fans will show up, they will sell tickets, concessions, maybe they can raise prices a little, and they could all reach a payroll on par with Steinbrenner. But no that will never happen because that would mean risking their bottom line. Everyone is tired of seeing the Yankees in the series every year, i am no different, but instead of blaming Steinbrenner, blame the man that is running your organization.

Paulwny
11-09-2001, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by CLR01
Definition.
Small Market Team=Cheap ass owner who is not willing to spend what it takes to put a winner on the field and bring the fans to the park.

If the other owners in baseball would take a risk of losing some of their own money trying to field a consistent winner, the fans will show up, they will sell tickets, concessions, maybe they can raise prices a little, and they could all reach a payroll on par with Steinbrenner. But no that will never happen because that would .

Consistant winning moves the turnstile, totally agree.His cable revenue is still too far out of line with the vast majority of teams. When George can have a payroll of >$100 mil and still pocket >$20 mil how can a small market team compete?

His cable money is the biggest difference.

CLR01
11-09-2001, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny

Consistent winning moves the turnstile, totally agree.His cable revenue is still too far out of line with the vast majority of teams. When George can have a payroll of >$100 mil and still pocket >$20 mil how can a small market team compete?

His cable money is the biggest difference.

I have no idea what his cable revenue is, maybe you could tell me. But it still all comes down to winning. Everyone of those teams I listed play in a city that has a population that exceeds 1 million people (except Detroit, they fall about 50,000 sort). That is within the city limits and not counting surrounding cities. Now the more those teams win the more people show up to games, those that can not make it or get tickets turn on their TV's to watch. More people watching on TV = better ratings, better ratings = better advertisement money for the station which means they will be willing to pay more to televise the teams games. Now none of them will get the exact amount of money the yanks get because NY has 4 million more possible viewers than the number 2 market but the money they do get will be nothing to laugh at and they will be able to get their payroll around 100 million and still turn a profit. I guess it is a catch 22, you need money to win and you need to win to make money. But it can be solved if these owners would quit worrying about how the teams look in their portfolio and start taking chances. Maybe I misunderstood what one of my teachers once taught me, but I though when investing the greater the risk you take the greater the possible return.

Paulwny
11-09-2001, 01:53 PM
His cable revenue with MSG is ~ $70mil not counting his fox money and large number of radio outlets. It's not 4 million people, MSG broedcasts games throughout NY State, New Jersey, most of Florida, parts of Penn. and parts of the New England states. Only the Braves have a larger market.
King George is forming with investors their own cable company. They'll broadcast all sporting out of NY except for NFL football. Expected revenue to exceed $140 mil.
All this before he sells a ticket to a game.
This equivalent to Huffy competing with GM.
His cable and other broadcast $$$ are the reason that the yanks are the most valuable team in US sports.
Agree, when investing the greater the risk the greater the return but, also the greater the chance of failure.

Paulwny
11-09-2001, 08:08 PM
According to the Washington post article on Peter Angelos, in 1999 the yankees made > $200 mil, Angeloswas 6th best in the majors at $124 mil. That's $80 mil more, how can you compete with king george?