PDA

View Full Version : This is not your father's White Sox

kojak
05-09-2005, 02:27 AM
That is one thing for sure. It is so ironic to see a franchise that has been known for its' sluggers (Go Go Sox aside) to be having such great success with so-called smallball.

Some fools ruminated in this very forum in the pre-season that the Sox would have one of the BEST pitching staffs in baseball. Needless to say, those goofs attracted a lot of naysayers. Yet, there we are at the Top of the Pops.

Who would have ever expected the White Sox to be playing winning National League-style baseball in the AL Central? And us liking it?

Who would have expected the AL Central to produce the top 2 teams in baseball??

A most telling characteristic of this team is that despite some very ugly defense on occassion, we are not allowing the errors to come back and bite us for the most part! We have unearned runs in only one of our seven losses. Talk about all of the fielding statistics you like, but if the errors fail to result in losses- well, then it is a charmed life indeed.

I know there are probably several folks in here who, like myself, are still licking the wounds of an almost National Championship basketball season. A little gunshy perhaps. But I definitely have the feeling of something incredible at our threshold and the sooner we latch on and enjoy the hell out of this season, the easier it will be for us to laugh at and mock The Mediots.

Perhaps we can each adopt one and unleash our derisive scorn and contempt with big, pointy teeth...

mcfish
05-09-2005, 10:51 AM
That is one thing for sure. It is so ironic to see a franchise that has been known for its' sluggers (Go Go Sox aside) to be having such great success with so-called smallball.

Some fools ruminated in this very forum in the pre-season that the Sox would have one of the BEST pitching staffs in baseball. Needless to say, those goofs attracted a lot of naysayers. Yet, there we are at the Top of the Pops.

Who would have ever expected the White Sox to be playing winning National League-style baseball in the AL Central? And us liking it?

Who would have expected the AL Central to produce the top 2 teams in baseball??

A most telling characteristic of this team is that despite some very ugly defense on occassion, we are not allowing the errors to come back and bite us for the most part! We have unearned runs in only one of our seven losses. Talk about all of the fielding statistics you like, but if the errors fail to result in losses- well, then it is a charmed life indeed.

I know there are probably several folks in here who, like myself, are still licking the wounds of an almost National Championship basketball season. A little gunshy perhaps. But I definitely have the feeling of something incredible at our threshold and the sooner we latch on and enjoy the hell out of this season, the easier it will be for us to laugh at and mock The Mediots.

Perhaps we can each adopt one and unleash our derisive scorn and contempt with big, pointy teeth...This is exactly what the Sox have historically been like. The Sox might have been known for sluggers for the last 10-20 years, but before that it was always a pitching and speed team. Look at the list of top HR hitters in Sox history. Frank, Baines, Fisk, Maggs, Paulie, Ventura, Melton, CLee, Kittle, Valentin. No one more than 20 years removed from their career except Melton. Hitless wonders? Winning Ugly? These were not teams that were beating other teams with power numbers.

iftypofixit
05-09-2005, 11:04 AM
The Sox are playing baseball the correct way. They win games when they homer, and the win the games when nobody goes deep. I've been looking at "The Juice box" stats from espn.com all season. I find it VERY interesting that the number of hr's per game are down from previous seasons. I believe that the sox are benefiting from the lack of home runs throughout the league. Check it out...Scroll to the bottom of the page and look at "Juice Box"

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/statistics

Lip Man 1
05-09-2005, 11:22 AM
Kojak:

Guess it depends on how old the 'father' is. I grew up with the Sox of the 1960's...the 63, 64, 65 and 67 clubs played EXACTLY this kind of baseball with a lot of success. (The 63 - 65 teams averaged 96 wins per year!). Now that I am a 'father' I guess my son can say these 'are' my father's White Sox.

:smile:

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
05-09-2005, 11:36 AM
The home run hitting White Sox of the 90's and early 00's are the anamoly in Sox history. Hell, as recently as 1970 Bill Melton set the franchise record for home runs with the laughable total of 33.

The White Sox franchise has never been home run crazy. For that, see New York Yankees (aka "Bronx Bombers").

It's also worth noting that the Sox own two world championships the last of these dating to 1917, the dead ball era. It's no coincidence. Not even the Sox teams of the Go-Go era successfully overcame their lack of offense.

Ignoring the importance of offense while spouting goofy platitudes about "pitching and defense" is how you wind up a pathetic franchise like the White Sox, not a successful franchise like the Yankees... or for that matter any other franchise this side of the Lovable Losers.

The Sox suck for ignoring the needs of the offense, and virtually every other franchise-- all except the Flubs, expansion franchise or not -- prove the point.
:mad:

kojak
05-09-2005, 12:01 PM
Kojak:

Guess it depends on how old the 'father' is. I grew up with the Sox of the 1960's...the 63, 64, 65 and 67 clubs played EXACTLY this kind of baseball with a lot of success. (The 63 - 65 teams averaged 96 wins per year!). Now that I am a 'father' I guess my son can say these 'are' my father's White Sox.

:smile:

Lip

Well said, Lip! I know that the Power Hitting Sox are pretty much since only about 1977 and for many of us here that is the only Sox we know. But of Coors there are also many veterans such as yourself who grew up with awesome pitching and minimal offense.

So it definitely does depend on who your father is....

tacosalbarojas
05-09-2005, 12:33 PM
Well said, Lip! I know that the Power Hitting Sox are pretty much since only about 1977 and for many of us here that is the only Sox we know. But of Coors there are also many veterans such as yourself who grew up with awesome pitching and minimal offense.

So it definitely does depend on who your father is....Maybe just "not your slightly older brother's White Sox". Love the enthusiasm.

JRIG
05-09-2005, 12:40 PM
The home run hitting White Sox of the 90's and early 00's are the anamoly in Sox history. Hell, as recently as 1970 Bill Melton set the franchise record for home runs with the laughable total of 33.

The White Sox franchise has never been home run crazy. For that, see New York Yankees (aka "Bronx Bombers").

It's also worth noting that the Sox own two world championships the last of these dating to 1917, the dead ball era. It's no coincidence. Not even the Sox teams of the Go-Go era successfully overcame their lack of offense.

Ignoring the importance of offense while spouting goofy platitudes about "pitching and defense" is how you wind up a pathetic franchise like the White Sox, not a successful franchise like the Yankees... or for that matter any other franchise this side of the Lovable Losers.

The Sox suck for ignoring the needs of the offense, and virtually every other franchise-- all except the Flubs, expansion franchise or not -- prove the point.
:mad:

I was trying to find the right words on this topic, but you've pretty much nailed it, PHG. Take a look at the hitting records for this ballclub. Other than Luke Appling and Eddie Collins (Joe Jackson to a lesser extent), they're all dominated by players from the past 20 years. Frank Thomas, Robin Ventura, Harold Baines, Robin Ventura...

This a team historically built on "pitching and defense," while ignoring the offensive needs of the ballclub.

SoxFan48
05-09-2005, 01:21 PM
From the sameset of stats that gave us the Juice Factor, Bill James' Cy Young Predictor has Garland #1, Buerhle # 3, and El Duque #8.

paciorek1983
05-09-2005, 07:08 PM

I've always liked this style of baseball. That is the true game. The last few years the Sox have played "stupid ball". It's about time they played "smart ball" again.