PDA

View Full Version : May will tell the story

Optipessimism
05-09-2005, 02:10 AM
After three games at Tampa Bay, we host Baltimore for four, Texas for three, and then go on the road again for three games against the Flubs. Then, we go out west again to face LAAA (isn't is the 'Prince Rule' that states if you change your name a certain number of times of a short period of time you have to become a symbol?) for four games and Texas for three. We come home to finish out the month and go into June with a three game set at home against LAAA.

I think May will be the telling month for this team because we really don't have another tough month until August. The rest of the teams we face in June, including Oakland, I think are teams that we have to beat in order to be a legitimate contender (i.e. a team that doesn't just make the playoffs, but has hopes of advancing). And yes, that also includes Boston and their overrated pitching staff.

I think if we can come out a few games ahead in those last 17 games in May, we will no longer be under the radar anywhere.

fquaye149
05-09-2005, 05:14 AM
may will tell the story of how we played in may. we don't play the twins, or even any divisional teams. basically it will determine whether espn and mariotti like us because it's not the weak al central. Oh man, I really hope they like us.

p.s. Prince changed his name once, to the symbol, then back again. Maybe you're thinking of O.D.B. aka Osirus, Aka Dirt Mcgirt, aka Big baby Jesus

jabrch
05-09-2005, 05:50 AM
I think May will be the most important month we play in this month. Next month, I suspect June will be much more important than May.

MIgrenade
05-09-2005, 06:17 AM
I think May will be the most important month we play in this month. Next month, I suspect June will be much more important than May.

HA! Can't argue with that logic.

SSN721
05-09-2005, 07:19 AM

Agreed, quite the sage observation.

voodoochile
05-09-2005, 09:52 AM

You are being to general...

May 9th is clearly the most important game of the year...

Flight #24
05-09-2005, 10:04 AM
All I know is...if this team goes .500 the rest of the way, we'll end up with 90 wins. And with Ozzie at the helm, I don't forsee a 2000-like slide.

:jerry
"Zzzzzzzzz......huh? Why you looking at me, I come ready to play!"

Frater Perdurabo
05-09-2005, 10:05 AM
To borrow a tired cliche:

You can't win a division in April and May, but you can lose it April or May.

The Sox clearly have not lost the division in April. :smile:

But with the way the Twins have played, the Sox still could lose it in May. Thankfully the Sox have several things going for them: great starting pitching, a good bullpen and timely hitting. They also have the late season schedule going for them as well.

In September/October, the Sox play the Twins 7 times (4 @ home), Detroit 8 times (4 @ home), Cleveland 6 times (3 @ home), Kansas City 6 times (3 @ home) and 3 at home against the Angels. That's 17 home games and 13 road games, with all the road games coming on two all-Midwest road trips: to Kansas City and Minnesota (Sept. 13-18) and Detroit and Cleveland to close out the year (Sept. 26-Oct. 2). (They also have 6 with the Twins in August, 3 home and 3 away). This is how the Twins end the year: 3 vs. Cleveland, 3 vs. Texas, 3 @ Cleveland, 3 @ Detroit, 3 vs. the Sox, 3 @ Oakland, 4 @ Chicago, 4 vs. KC, 3 vs. Detroit = 16 home, 13 road).

Sox get Detroit 8 times, the Twins play them 6 times. Sox get KC for 6, Twins get them for 4. Sox get the Angels at home; Twins travel to Oakland. They also play Texas and get one more off day.

With all those late games against the Twins and what should be easy games with Kansas City, Cleveland and Detroit, the Sox will win or lose the Central that month. The rest of the year simply determines if the Sox will be among the top four teams in the American League for Wild Card purposes - and who wins home field advantage!

DannyCaterFan
05-09-2005, 10:11 AM
All I know is...if this team goes .500 the rest of the way, we'll end up with 90 wins. And with Ozzie at the helm, I don't forsee a 2000-like slide.

:jerry
"Zzzzzzzzz......huh? Why you looking at me, I come ready to play!"

I don't really believe that 90 wins will be enough to win this division. The Twins will see to that. I think it will take at least 93-95 wins this season.

Ol' No. 2
05-09-2005, 10:11 AM
A win is a win and games today count the same as games in September. The Sox don't play the Twins again until August, but if the Twins come into town on the 15th behind by 9 or 10 games (very possible), it changes the complexion of things dramatically. The most important game of the season is today's game. Just keep winning and force the Twins to try to keep up.

Frater Perdurabo
05-09-2005, 01:03 PM
I don't really believe that 90 wins will be enough to win this division. The Twins will see to that. I think it will take at least 93-95 wins this season.

It's possible this year's Central could be the race between two titans who flirt with 100 wins, much like the East's Yankees and Red Sox or West's Mariners, Angels and Athletics have done in previous years.

Ozzie just needs to put the pedal to the metal and keep it floored all the way through October.