PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Help Cutomizing my Jersey...

SpartanSoxFan
05-08-2005, 07:55 PM
Hey guys...

I own the home white 1985 Sox Jersey manufactured by Majestic with no player name or number on the back. I want to bring it down to the folks at Triple Threat Sports to do some lettering for me, but I'm not sure what to tell them to do. I want to get Carlton Fisk put on the back, but I'm not sure if the jersey's in 1985 had just the number or the player's last name AND their number. Can anyone offer me some insight on this? I want it to be "authentic."

SOXintheBURGH
05-08-2005, 07:59 PM
Hey guys...

I own the home white 1985 Sox Jersey manufactured by Majestic with no player name or number on the back. I want to bring it down to the folks at Triple Threat Sports to do some lettering for me, but I'm not sure what to tell them to do. I want to get Carlton Fisk put on the back, but I'm not sure if the jersey's in 1985 had just the number or the player's last name AND their number. Can anyone offer me some insight on this? I want it to be "authentic."

I think it says FISKS.

TheOldRoman
05-08-2005, 08:00 PM
Hey guys...

The 85 jerseys had no names on the back. However, the 83 jerseys did. Also, the number font was different on the 85 jerseys, with a standard block 2. They sell both 85 and 83 jerseys on Mitchellandness.com, so go there to compare them.

Brian26
05-08-2005, 08:04 PM
The 85 jerseys had no names on the back.

This is totally incorrect. The '82-'86 Sox jerseys always had the names on the back.

TheOldRoman
05-08-2005, 08:07 PM
This is totally incorrect. The '82-'86 Sox jerseys always had the names on the back.
Mitchell and Ness sells both the 83 and 85 models. The numbers font is different on the 85, and there are no names. I tend to believe them.
http://www.onlinesports.com/images/mn-ws85r-72.gif - 85 jersey
http://buy.mnnstore.com/images/WS83H72_W.jpg - 83 jersey

Max Power
05-08-2005, 08:09 PM
Mitchell and Ness sells both the 83 and 85 models. The numbers font is different on the 85, and there are no names. I tend to believe them.

The '83 jersey has a name on the back. I have one from M&N.

LongLiveFisk
05-08-2005, 08:10 PM

For whatever reason, M&N does not put names on the back (they may have to pay royalties to the player if they do, maybe? I forgot the reason). But the '83/'85 jersey DID have names on the back. No doubt in my mind.

Brian26
05-08-2005, 08:10 PM

Mitchell and Ness is totally wrong. I'm sitting here staring at a photo of Seaver and Fisk from Seaver's 300th victory in '85 at Yankee Stadium. Look at some old baseball cards. The Sox didn't change the '85 uniforms to take the names off.

Mitchell and Ness is the same company that sells a 1980 White Sox Fisk jersey.

TheOldRoman
05-08-2005, 08:14 PM
For whatever reason, M&N does not put names on the back (they may have to pay royalties to the player if they do, maybe? I forgot the reason). But the '83/'85 jersey DID have names on the back. No doubt in my mind.
Well, even if they are wrong on the 85 jerseys, they do put names on jerseys that had them (at least most of the time). The names are on the 83 jerseys, ad well as the 60 road jerseys.

santo=dorf
05-08-2005, 08:15 PM
http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/al/chisox/GuillenCWS.jpg

1985 Rookie of the Year. Look at his back.

Brian26
05-08-2005, 08:18 PM
Well, even if they are wrong on the 85 jerseys, they do put names on jerseys that had them (at least most of the time). The names are on the 83 jerseys, ad well as the 60 road jerseys.

(pounding head against brick wall)

Seaver's 300th victory in 1985. Look at Fisk's jersey:

TheOldRoman
05-08-2005, 08:22 PM
(pounding head against brick wall)

Seaver's 300th victory in 1985. Look at Fisk's jersey:
Ok, I understand that. I was responding to another poster who said that M&N never puts the names on the back of jerseys. I was merely telling him they do on jerseys that had names on the back (most of the time).

Brian26
05-08-2005, 08:25 PM
Ok, I understand that. I was responding to another poster who said that M&N never puts the names on the back of jerseys. I was merely telling him they do on jerseys that had names on the back (most of the time).

Fair enough. I was responding to this:

TheOldRoman
05-08-2005, 08:30 PM
Fair enough. I was responding to this:
Yes, and that was a previous quote. After looking up the picture you mentioned (before you posted it here) I found that they were wrong, as I posted. The 83 and 85 jerseys DID have different number fonts, but they both had the names on the back (as well as different patches - AS Game and 75th Anniversary of Comiskey). I guess they wanted to sell more of the same jersey, and decided that the different numbers werent enough to make people buy both.

C-Dawg
05-08-2005, 08:32 PM
the 1987 jerseys introduced the "no-names" period - the jerseys with the White Sox name in script across the front.

Triple Threat just did a 1985 jersey for me earlier this spring, and it is 100% correct as far as I can tell. The font, color, name, everything. Completely satisfied! :D:

TheOldRoman
05-08-2005, 08:36 PM
the 1987 jerseys introduced the "no-names" period - the jerseys with the White Sox name in script across the front.

Triple Threat just did a 1985 jersey for me earlier this spring, and it is 100% correct as far as I can tell. The font, color, name, everything. Completely satisfied! :D:

The thing I wonder about, the Sox wore throwbacks a few years ago that had incorrect numbers on them. In 2003, they wore '83 throwbacks with the current number font (instead of the bigger block numbers). Also, at the garage sale last year I saw a game worn throwback with red numbers and a navy outline. I dont think they ever had red numbers on those jerseys. Im surprised the Sox wouldn't notice that.

Brian26
05-08-2005, 08:47 PM
The 83 and 85 jerseys DID have different number fonts,

This is also incorrect. Dude, I don't mean to keep this argument going, but you're wrong again. M&N's 83 jersey is incorrect. I already posted a photo of Fisk's 85 jersey. Look at the "2". That's the correct "2". Look at this baseball card of Kittle from '82. This "2" never changed. It's another mistake by M&N.

C-Dawg
05-08-2005, 08:48 PM
The 83 and 85 jerseys DID have different number fonts, but they both had the names on the back .

83 and 85 had different fonts from each other? Or different from 87-90? I think the latter is correct although if it changed slightly in 1984 or so I sure never noticed.

The 87-90 font was a little like those used by the Red Sox (I can't think of a better way to describe it).

Brian26
05-08-2005, 08:52 PM
83 and 85 had different fonts from each other? Or different from 87-90? I think the latter is correct although if it changed slightly in 1984 or so I sure never noticed.

No, the Sox uniforms did not change between 1982 and 1986 (except for the all-star game patch in '83 and the 75th anniversary patch in 1985). The uniforms were EXACTLY the same.

"Old Roman" is taking Mitchell and Ness as gospel, which is a huge mistake. M & N has two notable mistakes so far: The "2" on Fisk's 83 jersey is incorrect, and their '85 jerseys lack names. Also, as I pointed out, M & N sells a 1980 White Sox Fisk jersey.

cubsuck
05-08-2005, 08:57 PM
Hey guys...

I sent you a PM about this quandry you're in.

www.exclusivepro.com

They do all the jersey lettering for Mitchell & Ness! 'nuff said.

Brian26
05-08-2005, 08:59 PM

www.exclusivepro.com (http://www.exclusivepro.com/)

Ah, so they're the ones ****ing everything up. Tell them to do their homework :D:

SpartanSoxFan
05-08-2005, 10:09 PM

www.exclusivepro.com (http://www.exclusivepro.com/)

Thanks, I appreciate it! And thanks to everyone else, hopefully I'll get this figured out.

jcw218
05-09-2005, 12:02 AM
Hey guys...

Go to Grandstand at 35th and Wallace. They do excellent work. I stopped in there after opening day and picked up the 2001 Sunday home alternate jersey. While looking at the merchandise, the gentleman helping me mentioned that on one of Boston's last trips to Chicago, Damon's uniform was accidentally not included. They made his jersey.