PDA

View Full Version : Starting Pitching 2005 vs. 2004

MeanFish
05-08-2005, 05:29 PM
There is a lot of talk right now about how hot our starting pitching is, and how its overperforming. While that's true, I suspect that it's not overperforming by as much as people think. Consider the following facts...

1.) Our defense is head and shoulders better than it was last year. Possibly the best all-around D in the whole league.
2.) The ball might not be carrying out of USCF as much as it did last year, possibly due to the Fundamentals construction
3.) Freddy, Jose C and Garland are all coming off of relative "down" years. It makes sense that they would improve this year from last year's performance.
4.) Power down league-wide, possibly due to testing?

and of course,

5.) We have better pitchers this year.

With all of these factors thrown in, it seems as though it might make a whole lot of sense that our pitchers are doing as well as they are. I dunno, what do y'all think?

PAPChiSox729
05-08-2005, 05:41 PM
There is a lot of talk right now about how hot our starting pitching is, and how its overperforming. While that's true, I suspect that it's not overperforming by as much as people think. Consider the following facts...

1.) Our defense is head and shoulders better than it was last year. Possibly the best all-around D in the whole league.
2.) The ball might not be carrying out of USCF as much as it did last year, possibly due to the Fundamentals construction
3.) Freddy, Jose C and Garland are all coming off of relative "down" years. It makes sense that they would improve this year from last year's performance.
4.) Power down league-wide, possibly due to testing?

and of course,

5.) We have better pitchers this year.

With all of these factors thrown in, it seems as though it might make a whole lot of sense that our pitchers are doing as well as they are. I dunno, what do y'all think?

I'm with you. I really don't think that our guys our over preforming as much as everyone thinks. Of course, I'm sure Garland will lose at some point and his ERA will still rise. But I actually expect Buehrle's ERA to lower. Jose C. may drop a little, but not much. Freddy and Hernandez look like they can keep up their pace. Right now our starting pitching is excellent. And I don't see why things can't stay that way.

:D:

WhiteSox16K
05-08-2005, 05:56 PM

I don't think the fundamentals deck has much to do with it. One thing I've observed from the pitching staff this year, compared to last, is that the ball is down in the zone much more often. Buerhle, and Garcia will give up their fair share of HR's, but the rest of the staff (especially Garland and Contreras) have been doing a real good job in getting the ball down in the zone. While I'm talking about pitching, I should also add in that we don't have [insert 5th starter], Koch, Jackson or Schoeneweis to add to the HR's. Also, the offense last year had more HR hitters. This year, I believe that you will see a good drop in the number of HR's at USCF. I don't think one year can make a park a "Home Run hitting park", but I guess we'll have to wait and see on what happens over the summer.

batmanZoSo
05-08-2005, 06:12 PM
I don't think the fundamentals deck has much to do with it. One thing I've observed from the pitching staff this year, compared to last, is that the ball is down in the zone much more often. Buerhle, and Garcia will give up their fair share of HR's, but the rest of the staff (especially Garland and Contreras) have been doing a real good job in getting the ball down in the zone. While I'm talking about pitching, I should also add in that we don't have [insert 5th starter], Koch, Jackson or Schoeneweis to add to the HR's. Also, the offense last year had more HR hitters. This year, I believe that you will see a good drop in the number of HR's at USCF. I don't think one year can make a park a "Home Run hitting park", but I guess we'll have to wait and see on what happens over the summer.

The Cell has always had one of the highest home runs per game averages since it opened, but I wasn't buying that number 1 in the majors thing last year. That was a freak thing. This isn't so much of a hitter's park that you have to hit 250 yourself to compete there. Good pitching will always keep the ball in the park. The only exception is Coors because you lose your breaking ball there, everything's practically a hanger. But no matter where you play, it's always best to focus on pitching even if you lose some pop because of it.