PDA

View Full Version : I'm moved to tears

DumpJerry
05-08-2005, 04:27 PM
24-7. Wow.
I was thinking back to the offseason when Kenny started building this team. When we got Pods and Vizciano, most of us cheered, some booed. We had a gut feeling about this team at the time. Then KW signed AJ. A lot of us got excited, some still poo-pooed saying we had nothing up the middle. Then Kenny got Iguchi. That is when a lot of here started saying the same three words over and over: BRING IT ON!

Well, the season has been brought on. If you told me before April 4th that we would be 24-7 on May 8th, Garland was 6-0 in the 5th spot, etc., I would have said you were on drugs.

I cannot believe what this team has accomplished so far. They have put together a better record than all the greatest teams in the history of Major League Baseball! Let that sink in for a moment. Better than those Yankee teams of yore in the 20's, 30's, 50's and 60's with names like Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle and Maris playing for them. Better than any Dodgers team ever, better than any other team that dominated baseball at one time or another. Better than any Cubs team of any year (who are always the greatest according to their brain damaged fans).

The best part: that restless noise you hear in the background is the hungry beast waiting to be uncaged: Big Hurt.

This team is a dynasty in the making. We are doing it with the whole roster, not a superstar or two. This will make it easy to sign any FA's we need next season, the chemistry will continue. It also means we can sustain a lost player here or there.

BTW, I'm glad the Flubs smell like a rotten onion this year. It would make me barf if I was told by sanctimonious people to be "happy for both teams" if the Flubs were showing a sign of life.

I'm so happy for our team and so looking forward to shedding years and years of pain and agony I could just cry!

................or am I dreaming this and the Sox are really 18-13 and playing "pretty good baseball for a team still getting used to each other?"

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

MeanFish
05-08-2005, 04:33 PM
Whoa whoa whoa, slow down there. We've started out better than a lot of very historic ballclubs, but lest I remind you about a certain 1980's Tiger team that opened up a season wtih a 35-5 record. Yes, 35-5. You read that right.

However, that's no reason to be less optimistic. As far as happiness goes, I'm right there with you.

This team is for real.

:D::bandance::supernana:

skobabe8
05-08-2005, 04:33 PM
24-7. Wow.
I was thinking back to the offseason when Kenny started building this team. When we got Pods and Vizciano, most of us cheered, some booed. We had a gut feeling about this team at the time. Then KW signed AJ. A lot of us got excited, some still poo-pooed saying we had nothing up the middle. Then Kenny got Iguchi. That is when a lot of here started saying the same three words over and over: BRING IT ON!

Well, the season has been brought on. If you told me before April 4th that we would be 24-7 on May 8th, Garland was 6-0 in the 5th spot, etc., I would have said you were on drugs.

I cannot believe what this team has accomplished so far. They have put together a better record than all the greatest teams in the history of Major League Baseball! Let that sink in for a moment. Better than those Yankee teams of yore in the 20's, 30's, 50's and 60's with names like Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle and Maris playing for them. Better than any Dodgers team ever, better than any other team that dominated baseball at one time or another. Better than any Cubs team of any year (who are always the greatest according to their brain damaged fans).

The best part: that restless noise you hear in the background is the hungry beast waiting to be uncaged: Big Hurt.

This team is a dynasty in the making. We are doing it with the whole roster, not a superstar or two. This will make it easy to sign any FA's we need next season, the chemistry will continue. It also means we can sustain a lost player here or there.

BTW, I'm glad the Flubs smell like a rotten onion this year. It would make me barf if I was told by sanctimonious people to be "happy for both teams" if the Flubs were showing a sign of life.

I'm so happy for our team and so looking forward to shedding years and years of pain and agony I could just cry!

................or am I dreaming this and the Sox are really 18-13 and playing "pretty good baseball for a team still getting used to each other?"

Its nice for us to be able to get all teary eyed, as long as the players dont. Just one game at a time! (the oldest cliche in the book) The one thing I really like about this team is that they really appear to try to WIN EVERY GAME. As funny as that sounds, teams in the past that I've watched would almost concede games here and there, especially after a 5 or 6 game winning streak. This team wants every one. thats awesome!

PAPChiSox729
05-08-2005, 04:34 PM

Whoa there, I'm excited too but I wouldn't call this team a dynasty in the making. We need to win something first before we even think of being called a dynasty and start comparing ourselves to the best teams ever. I'm being very optimistic when I say that this team has a very good chance of making the World Series. But even I am not going to call this team a dynasty. Ask me when we beat Minnesota in the ALCS.

nasox
05-08-2005, 04:49 PM
I think DJ meant that we have led in all 31 games we have played in, a new MLB record.

nasox
05-08-2005, 04:51 PM
This team is a dynasty in the making. We are doing it with the whole roster, not a superstar or two. This will make it easy to sign any FA's we need next season, the chemistry will continue. It also means we can sustain a lost

The rest of what you said made sense, but this should be so deep pink you'd blind the entire world. And then some.

crector
05-08-2005, 06:53 PM
24-7. Wow.

The important fact is that none of the players that KW brought to the team during the offseason were big name players. During every offseason, there's fan pressure for the team to add a big name player or so and even now, there's been sentiment on this forum for having KW trade for someone like Billy Wagner. This despite the fact the fact that there are at least 3 guys on the team who are proven closers and there are more at the minor league level. Except for 1B & Neal Cotts's spot in the bullpen there really isn't a hole on this team and even at those 2 slots there's good reason to expect a turn around in performance.

SouthSide4Life
05-08-2005, 08:53 PM
Ask me when we beat Minnesota in the ALCS.[/color] jeez who knows if it will even be the Twinks

batmanZoSo
05-08-2005, 08:55 PM
Whoa whoa whoa, slow down there. We've started out better than a lot of very historic ballclubs, but lest I remind you about a certain 1980's Tiger team that opened up a season wtih a 35-5 record. Yes, 35-5. You read that right.

That team won the World Series. And quite handily I might add.

MUsoxfan
05-08-2005, 09:05 PM
24-7. Wow.
I was thinking back to the offseason when Kenny started building this team. When we got Pods and Vizciano, most of us cheered, some booed.

Whoa there, Cowboy......you have that the opposite way from how it really happened:cool:

DumpJerry
05-08-2005, 09:31 PM
Whoa there, Cowboy......you have that the opposite way from how it really happened:cool:
Well, I did not conduct a scientific poll, but other than the usual boobirds on here (you know who you are), the reaction at the time was generally positive. Also in talking with Sox fans at the time of the trade I got a fairly positive feedback.

swanson24
05-08-2005, 09:39 PM
Originally quoted by: DumpJerry
"The best part: that restless noise you hear in the background is the hungry beast waiting to be uncaged: Big Hurt."

:cool:
Great line! I miss Frank and when he comes back it will be scary to see how well this team will play!

rwcescato
05-08-2005, 09:48 PM
24-7. Wow.

I am excited as well. But as I watch channel 9's instant replay they are talking to the flubs and there fans as if they just won thier division. I am sure they gave a curtain call to some flub today. They have a 1 game winning streak so watch out.
Rich:supernana:

PAPChiSox729
05-08-2005, 09:54 PM
I am excited as well. But as I watch channel 9's instant replay they are talking to the flubs and there fans as if they just won thier division. I am sure they gave a curtain call to some flub today. They have a 1 game winning streak so watch out.
Rich:supernana:

'Under the Radar' is making a comeback! We are the best team in baseball. Who cares about the Cubs?

:dunno:

IronFisk
05-09-2005, 12:12 AM
Nice enthusiasm - let's just enjoy it. Yeah, like y'all I've seen WAY too much crap happen with Chicago baseball teams, but what the hell - these Sox ARE looking quite unique (execpt that %$#&*@ Oakland series!!!).

Anyway, at this point of the season, you can really say you could love the Sox 24hrs, 7 days a week - especially with a record of 24-7. :tongue:

Wsoxmike59
05-09-2005, 05:55 AM

However, that's no reason to be less optimistic. As far as happiness goes, I'm right there with you.

This team is for real.

:D::bandance::supernana:

And I'd like to add that the 1984 Tiger team had a serious run put on them by the Toronto Blue Jays late in the season. I remember Toronto pulled to within 3.5 games back of the Tigers at one point.

So while this IS A GREAT START to the season, and a pinch me I'm dreaming type of beginning...there remains a lot of baseball to played yet.

JRIG
05-09-2005, 06:12 AM
While I can't tell you how excited I am about this year's start, my enthusiasm is tempered. It's a long, long way to go in the season. And the Twins are playing some mighty fine baseball right now as well. I'll be more confident once Frank returns, as he provides much of what the offense is missing at the moment. He'll only make Iguchi better in the #2 hole and he moves others down in the order. Imagine this:

Podsednik (who, if he keeps walking at this rate will be more valuable than I could have imagined)
Iguchi
Thomas
Konerko
Dye vs LHP/Everett vs. RHP
Rowand
Pierzynski
Uribe
Crede

That's a very, very dangerous lineup, especially with Uribe and Crede as hot as they are right now.

The rotation has been fabulous, as have Marte, Hermanson, and Politte.

Simpoly put, things have gone as well as they could at this point in the season. We will regress. It's virtually impossible not to. But hopefully the cushion this team will have built by the time it slows down will be enough to carry then through the season.

I have visions of the World Series dancing in my head, but I brush them away just as quickly as they come. Too soon, too soon.... :cool: