PDA

View Full Version : Get Well Soon Zaun!

elrod
05-08-2005, 04:05 PM
In case anybody didn't see it, Gregg Zaun got knocked out cold breaking up a double play at 2B in the 9th inning. His head hit Pedro Lopez' knee. He was conscious but didn't really move much and had to be carried off in a stretcher. It was very ugly and I really hope he recovers fully and quickly. He really is one of the good guys in baseball. Works hard, gives it his all (as he did on the play) and plays consistently. Get well soon, Gregg!

White Sox Josh
05-08-2005, 04:08 PM
My prayers go out to Gregg and his family.

PAPChiSox729
05-08-2005, 04:25 PM
Any report on the severity of the injury? At first it didn't look too ugly, but he was on the ground for a long, long time. Get well soon, Gregg.

SSN721
05-08-2005, 04:52 PM
Get well soon Gregg. Tough hit, hopefully isnt serious and can recover quickly.

Stroker Ace
05-08-2005, 04:54 PM
Get well soon Greg.

skobabe8
05-08-2005, 05:05 PM
It was ugly. A severe concussion, in all likelihood. I've had a couple myself and they are mind erasers. Get well very soon Greg!

Wsoxmike59
05-08-2005, 05:09 PM
Here's to a speedy recovery for Greg Zaun. It looked like his head and neck whiplashed backward on the play as well as catching Pedro Lopez' knee flush in the face.

He went into Lopez hard and clean on the play attempting to break up the DP.

CPditka
05-08-2005, 05:11 PM
Yes get well soon....

I started my standard, He Gone... Which I turned into "he zaun" when the double play was being started, then I saw him get hurt, and I never felt so bad.

Get well soon!

kevingrt
05-08-2005, 05:14 PM
In case anybody didn't see it, Gregg Zaun got knocked out cold breaking up a double play at 2B in the 9th inning. His head hit Pedro Lopez' knee. He was conscious but didn't really move much and had to be carried off in a stretcher. It was very ugly and I really hope he recovers fully and quickly. He really is one of the good guys in baseball. Works hard, gives it his all (as he did on the play) and plays consistently. Get well soon, Gregg!

I wasn't able to watch it but it sounded pretty nasty.

I don't doubt at all Zaun won't be fine, he's a catcher and a fighter. Get well soon Zaun

JUribe1989
05-08-2005, 05:56 PM
http://www.uhhg.org/cards/card2_balloons.gif
Get Well Gregg!

Baby Fisk
05-08-2005, 06:10 PM
I was at this game and it was clear that Zaun was knocked out cold. GET WELL SOON. :(:

BarbG
05-08-2005, 06:29 PM
I just heard on the radio that he is being kept overnight for observation.

Get better quick!

Jjav829
05-08-2005, 06:36 PM
Ditto on the topic. He didn't look too good on the ground. I hope he has a speedy recovery and comes back fine.

shaunburnette
05-08-2005, 06:37 PM

I watched Gregg "The Z Man" Zaun when he played for the Kane County Cougars. He was the fan favorite there and everyone loved him. I watched the game today and saw the scary play and I hope he is well.

Get Well Z Man!:(:

Baby Fisk
05-08-2005, 06:45 PM
More details. Scary stuff. linky (http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/news_story.asp?ID=124283&hubName=mlb)

Lopez jumped trying to avoid Zaun but clipped him on the right side of his head with his right knee. A switch-hitter, Zaun had batted right-handed and was wearing a helmet with the ear flap on the left side of his head, leaving his right side prone.

The back of his head then struck the ground on the way down, leaving him out cold on his stomach by second base. Medical staff rushed out to him and worked on him for close to 15 minutes as players crowded around before Zaun was immobilized and carted off the field.

''He was coherent and he knew where he was, that's a good thing,'' said centre-fielder Vernon Wells.

Several White Sox players said it sounded like Zaun was choking while on the ground although the Jays said he only suffered breathing problems typical of a head injury.

''It's a scary thing,'' said Sox first baseman Paul Konerko. ''He was choking on something on the ground. That's what everybody standing out there was a little bit worried about. It's one thing to get knocked out. You get knocked out, you'll come to, but he was lifeless and it sounded like he was choking on something.

''He was gasping for air but lifeless at the same time. It was getting to the point where 10, 15, 20 seconds into it, you're wondering is this guy going to choke to death right here.''

SoxSpeed22
05-08-2005, 07:05 PM
That seemed scary, but hopefully it's nothing permanent. Hopefully, he'll be fine in a week or two.

woodenleg
05-08-2005, 07:31 PM
Let's hope it's not as bad as it looks. I myself have had a couple of accidents in which I got knocked in the head and / or neck, and both times I struggled to breathe, but once I got some oxygen, I recovered. Scared the hell out of everyone, but the next day I was fine. So let's hope that is the case.

Feel better soon, Gregg!

DickAllen72
05-08-2005, 07:44 PM
My prayers go out to Gregg and his family.

As do mine. Amen.

Get well soon, Gregg.

Whitesox029
05-08-2005, 08:30 PM
Health is the most important thing and I hope he's alright.

On a side note, I need him in the WSI Roto 2 league so I hope he's able to play. :)

lowesox
05-08-2005, 08:33 PM
I was very impressed to log in and see this thread. Very classy guys.

Get well soon Greg.

TornLabrum
05-08-2005, 08:43 PM
I'm another big fan of Gregg Zaun's, having followied him since seeing him play quite often when he was with the Cougars in 1991. He was a good guy then, and I've heard he still is.

Oddly enough I was at the Cougars game today and missed the play. I didn't hear about his injury until they mentioned it at the end of BBTN. The video from the Sox broadcast is on the Jays' web site. It was scary. So was reading the description of the aftermath by Konerko. Fortunately, the report on his prognosis seems to be pretty good.

I wish Gregg a speedy recovery.

soxjim
05-08-2005, 09:42 PM
My prayers and thoughts are with Greg, his family and the Bluejay organization.

Chisox003
05-08-2005, 09:44 PM
I was very impressed to log in and see this thread. Very classy guys.

Get well soon Greg.

Ditto....Sox fans

Wish him the best!

Risk
05-08-2005, 09:59 PM
Get well Gregg. Prayers for you and your family for a speedy recovery.

Risk

SoxFan76
05-08-2005, 10:02 PM
Get better big guy.

Ol' No. 2
05-08-2005, 10:03 PM
Here's to hoping he just got his bell rung.:gulp:

AJPosguchi
05-08-2005, 10:12 PM
My prayers and thoughts are with Greg, his family and the Bluejay organization.

Amen. Get Well Soon.

DumpJerry
05-08-2005, 10:38 PM
Here's hoping for a speedy and complete recovery. We need you to beat up all the other AL Central teams, espcially the Twinks! Not to mention the fact that your loved ones need you.

It was scary watching him laying there looking like the Cubs' season, not moving having difficulty breathing.........

White Sox Josh
05-08-2005, 10:39 PM
Get well Gregg! I want to see him on the diamond the next time the Sox play the Jays.