PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 5/8/05 16th Win in Last 19 Games Postgame Thread

Brian26
05-08-2005, 03:01 PM
:winner

16 wins in 19 games.

Two 8-game winning streaks sandwiched around a loss to Detroit and two umpire-stolen games in Oakland.

10 out of 11 series wins this year.

Another one-run win.

24-7 on the season.

Kudos to Zahn on the hustle. He went in way too late trying to break up that doubleplay, and he paid the price. You have to admire the hustle.

Nard
05-08-2005, 03:02 PM
155-7

And I don't even know if that should be pink. This team is ****ing TIGHT.

:supernana::supernana::supernana::supernana:

NSSoxFan
GO SOX

Please don't ever do that again, Ozzie.

Also, I hope Zaun is alright...

Stroker Ace
24-7!!! YESSSSS!!!!!

itsnotrequired
05-08-2005, 03:03 PM
Nice to get a win. Marte gave us some sweats but pulled it off. Not the greatest outing for MB but a couple errors made the outing look worse than it was.

patbooyah
05-08-2005, 03:03 PM
i didn't get to see the game cause i was on a plane, but how did lopez look?

i found out he was born on my bday and might be a new favorite...

swanson24
05-08-2005, 03:04 PM
I'm hoping for this later tonight!!!!!

:twinslose

But it probably wont happen Lousy Devil Rays!

soltrain21
Played a terrible game but still won.

Hope Zaun is ok, it was a bad move on his part to begin with. Like the hustle, though.

owensmouth
Doncha just luv these one run games?

swanson24
05-08-2005, 03:05 PM
Congratulations Sox! Marte made it exciting but he did get the job done! I think that the Zaun injury put the game into perspective but I still think we played great!

Flames24Rulz
05-08-2005, 03:05 PM
when was the last time we got a sweep in "Rogers Centre?" the Sox have never been a good dome team, making these last 3 games all the more sweeter. Lets hope we can sweep the D Rays too.

24-7...YESSSSSSSSSSSS!

LongLiveFisk
05-08-2005, 03:06 PM
Doncha just luv these one run games?

As long as we come out on top, absolutely! :D:

CanBuehrleWait
05-08-2005, 03:06 PM
In some of that Jack Daniels Tennessee whiskey if the Sox keep winning like this. :gulp: Bye BYe

3rdgensoxfan
05-08-2005, 03:07 PM
when was the last time we got a sweep in "Rogers Centre?" the Sox have never been a good dome team, making these last 3 games all the more sweeter. Lets hope we can sweep the D Rays too.

According to the TV, the last Jay's sweep was 1999, I think that was in the dome but I'm not sure.

elrod

Um, the Twins are up 8-1 again.

owensmouth
Now, on to see Willsey and his Devil Rays

SOXit2EM

But it probably wont happen Lousy Devil Rays! We better sweep them too damnit!!! :angry:

White Sox Josh
Shingo should have closed that game. If Johnson hadn't hit that ball as hard it would've been a single. Ozzie mismanaged this game. Shingo has pitched well latley and Ozzie still doesn't trust him. I have more faith in Shingo than Marte or Hermanson. What a way to build up confidence in Shingo.

swanson24
My bad I din't see the score of the Twins game!

South Sider
:drunken: :drunken: :drunken: YEEEEEEESSSSSS

MIgrenade
Sept 1999 was the last sweep at the Skydome, they had the stat right after the game.

Corlose 15
05-08-2005, 03:08 PM
It wasn't pretty but it got the job done. 31 and counting.

Flames24Rulz
05-08-2005, 03:08 PM
Shingo should have closed that game. If Johnson hadn't hit that ball as hard it would've been a single. Ozzie mismanaged this game. Shingo has pitched well latley and Ozzie still doesn't trust him. I have more faith in Shingo than Marte or Hermanson. What a way to build up confidence in Shingo.

more faith in Shingo than Dustin? i dunno about that...IMO Hermy should've finished out the 9th, but the end result was still the same :cool:

SoxSpeed22
05-08-2005, 03:09 PM
Nice to get a win. Marte gave us some sweats but pulled it off. Not the greatest outing for MB but a couple errors made the outing look worse than it was.Took the words outta my mouth. Bad defense led to 3 more runs, some near heart attacks later. The White Sox are 24-7!:supernana: That also gives us our 3rd 3 game sweep!
:WU :sweep That's also 31 straight games where we had the lead.:supernana:Keep this up!

:bandance: 200 for me!:bandance:

swanson24
My bad I din't notice the score of the Twins game! I hope know one gets their hopes up because the Twins are looking like they already won today! Bring out your brooms! Yeah!!

NSSoxFan

:rolleyes: Also, if Johnson hit the ball harder, it would have been a HR, *****. As much as Ozzie did make the mistake in taking out Hermanson, how can you say you have more faith in Shingo then Dustin??

Brian26
It wasn't pretty but it got the job done. 31 and counting.

This is a game we lose last year in the bottom of the 9th. Kudos to Marte for making the pitches when he did. That last shot, off the bat, looked like it might drop in front of Rowand. Whew.

Stroker Ace
05-08-2005, 03:10 PM

Hermanson!?!?!?:?:

SoxFan48
05-08-2005, 03:11 PM
Um, the Twins are up 8-1 again.

and will be with us all the way. My prediction: You will see 2 Central Division team in the playoffs for the first time ever (I think).

My further prediction: Sox beat Twins in AL Championship series 4 games to 3 ending when Uribe knocks Tori Hunter cold in an attempted SB.

My final prediction: The Cardinals are swept for the second time in a row in the WS by a Sox team.

White Sox Josh
more faith in Shingo than Dustin? i dunno about that...IMO Hermy should've finished out the 9th, but the end result was still the same :cool:I love hermy in the 8th. I think Shingo has proven that he should be the closer. Remember when Ozzie said that if Shingo pitched well he would have the job back. Well Shingo has pitched well and Ozzie hasn't kept his part of the bargain. I have no problem with Ozzie using Marte when there are tough lefties up or Hermy when shingo needs a day off but Shingo needs to be the closer. About the game against KC, I'm glad he walked Sweeney because I don't want to see Sweeney get a good pitch to hit with RISP.

SOXit2EM
This is a game we lose last year in the bottom of the 9th. Kudos to Marte for making the pitches when he did. That last shot, off the bat, looked like it might drop in front of Rowand. Whew. You ain't lying! Nice to see the Sox pulling these games out this year :cool:

swanson24
05-08-2005, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by NSSOXFAN: "how can you say you have more faith in Shingo then Dustin??"
I have more faith in Dustin than Shingo, sorry but that is my oppinion.
Note: I would have textboxed the Quote but I really don't know how sorry.

White Sox Josh
05-08-2005, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by NSSOXFAN: "how can you say you have more faith in Shingo then Dustin??"
I have more faith in Dustin than Shingo, sorry but that is my oppinion.Because I still remember that game against LA in October. Look Shingo has earned the job and his ERA went down from 13 to 6.20. That must mean he has been pitching well latley.

voodoochile
05-08-2005, 03:14 PM
:sweep <------------------For the Blue Jays

:sweep <------------------For the Royals

The Sox are playing baseball 24-7. All day everyday the focus is on winning...

:supernana::supernana::supernana::supernana: :supernana:

SOXit2EM
05-08-2005, 03:15 PM
I have more faith in Dustin than Shingo, sorry but that is my oppinion.
Note: I would have textboxed the Quote but I really don't know how sorry. So far i have more faith in Herme than Shingo, but that can change as the season goes on.I DON'T have faith in Mate closing out games :o:

krohnjw
05-08-2005, 03:15 PM
Had to listen to this one on XM radio and I was :angry: at Uribe there as it sounded like he was an error machine for 1 inning. Fortunately though we pulled it together and stuck it out at the end.

For what it's worth I think this is MB's first win over the Blue Jays. I heard earlier on XM that this was the only team he had yet to beat. Congrats Mark :gulp:

swanson24
05-08-2005, 03:16 PM
I have nothing against Shingo I just believe that Ozzie's philosophy of closer by situation is working right now. Some might call this a euphemism for closer by committee but I don't see it that way. As long as we win I don't care who closes but I feel safer with Dustin on the mound!

White Sox Josh
So far i have more faith in Herme than Shingo, but that can change as the season goes on.I DON'T have faith in Mate closing out games :o:I don't want to see Marte closing games unless there is a specific matchup. Zaun i understand but after that were a bunch of righties.

jake27
i dont care who closes the game as long as we get a win out of it

fox2
05-08-2005, 03:17 PM
I don't know, I'm just a little less excited right now than I have been. Zaun looked like he might really be hurt.

owensmouth
05-08-2005, 03:17 PM
So far i have more faith in Herme than Shingo, but that can change as the season goes on.I DON'T have faith in Mate closing out games :o:

But Ozzie does, and he's the one that counts. Oh well, thank heavens we had only two errors today. (I kept thinking of those two games that we had four errors)

PAPChiSox729
05-08-2005, 03:18 PM
I love hermy in the 8th. I think Shingo has proven that he should be the closer. Remember when Ozzie said that if Shingo pitched well he would have the job back. Well Shingo has pitched well and Ozzie hasn't kept his part of the bargain. I have no problem with Ozzie using Marte when there are tough lefties up or Hermy when shingo needs a day off but Shingo needs to be the closer. About the game against KC, I'm glad he walked Sweeney because I don't want to see Sweeney get a good pitch to hit with RISP.

Well, I'll agree with you that Ozzie needs to determine who the closer is. I'm glad we won today, but sooner or later this 'Closer by Committee is going to bite us in the butt. Shingo has done well, but I just think that Hermanson would be a better closer. Hopefully, Shingo is beginning to revert back to his own self. I don't care who the closer is, as long as he can get guys out.

Stroker Ace
05-08-2005, 03:19 PM
We can argue over who we have more faith in, or we can agree that Hermanson is pitching phenominal, Shingo had some trouble early, but he should be over now, and the SOX ARE KICKING SOME ASS!!!!!

SOXit2EM
05-08-2005, 03:19 PM
But Ozzie does, and he's the one that counts. Oh well, thank heavens we had only two errors today. (I kept thinking of those two games that we had four errors) Yeah it's worked out SO far....But he got lucky today :o:

Stroker Ace
05-08-2005, 03:20 PM
Now lets keep those brooms moving!

swanson24
Ozzie deserves a lot of credit, so does the coaching staff! Way to go guys I am pleasantly surprised! Can you believe that we didn't lose a game within the past week! Awesome! If this continues I don't see how the club can fly under the radar!

FoulkeTheIndians
That 3-game losing streak doesn't look so bad when it's sandwiched between TWO 8-game WINNING STREAKS!

Phew. Things got a little scary in the ninth, but they pulled it off with another gutsy performance nonetheless. Like someone said, it was an ugly win, but the bottom line is that it was still a WIN.

Let's keep this momentum going into Tampa!

swanson24
05-08-2005, 03:21 PM
Are the Twins currently going for the sweep against the Rays? If so maybe we are playing the Rays at the right time! I'm sure that this quote will be made of fun of because almost any time you play the Rays is a good time but I respect Lou Pinella a lot as a manager!

SOXit2EM
05-08-2005, 03:22 PM
Are the Twins curently going for the sweep against the Rays? If so maybe we are playing the Rays at the right time! yep :(:

Kogs35
05-08-2005, 03:26 PM
good job guys :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :gulp: :gulp: now go take care of the rays

Iguana775
05-08-2005, 03:26 PM

But the Rays beat the power house called Yankees!!

CanBuehrleWait
05-08-2005, 03:27 PM
Not so fast..... Rays rallying... 8-6 now

SOXit2EM
05-08-2005, 03:27 PM
Twinks 8-6 in bottom of 7th :cool:

Stroker Ace
05-08-2005, 03:31 PM
C'mon twinks! Lets choke this one away!:D:

nasox
05-08-2005, 03:34 PM
good teams win games they play badly in :bandance: :gulp:

delben91
05-08-2005, 03:36 PM
Not so fast..... Rays rallying... 8-6 now

Trying to avoid a hijack of the SOX victory thread (apologies to Hangar for stealing his capitalization thunder).

I'll take a win any way the Sox can get it. Ugly 9th, yeah. Have to wonder how sharp Damaso was after that long layoff during the time when they were tending to Zaun. But a win is a win is a win. 8 game win streak, and the second one of the year. Amazing.

Also, as anything but a sidenote, I hope Zaun is all right. It looked like he was in a lot of pain, and you don't wish that on anyone, opponent or otherwise.

GO SOX!!! :gulp:

swanson24
05-08-2005, 03:42 PM
I heard Ozzie calling the team "Winning Ugly" recently. Does anyone believe the 83 Sox team name will be recycled?

Bisco Stu
05-08-2005, 03:45 PM
The White Sox improved baseball's top record to 24-7, matching the 1919 club for the best start in franchise history. They have led in all 31 games this season, a major league record.

Chicago starters are 19-3 with a 2.96 ERA

Chisox003
05-08-2005, 03:47 PM
24-7?! This is great....

Yesterday, Scotty Po steals 4 bases and we are back to the Go Go White Sox....

Today, Uribe makes 2 bad errors, and we are back to Winning Ugly....

Put those together, and we got ourselves the best White Sox start since 1919!

Woo Hoo!
S05X

StrTrkker
05-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Great win today. Hopefully we can knock out the D-Rays 3 times there in Florida and come home with a nice streak of 11 wins in a row.

:bandance:

Nice hitting and a couple of homers made for a tough win.

Geez...seems like the Sox have been hitting more homers these last few games since Hawk has been away. I love those timely homers but could do without that Uh-Oh home run chant from DJ. Man that has to be the worse home run call for a home team I have ever heard.

Hurry back, Hawk.

chisox77
05-08-2005, 04:04 PM
I'm just enjoying this as much as possible, but as fun as this is, it increases the pressure for the Sox to succeed. When a team starts at 24-7 (though it is very early), the bar has been set higher, and already, all of us (even though we tend to think about it more than say it) are fantasizing about a World Series opponent. This applies even to the most disappointed and bitter fans in our ranks, but a start like this, with all of its positive energy, creates a great feeling within us. Everything seems possible, even when we want to temper our enthusiasm with some negatives that could happen.

But anyway, GO GO WHITE SOX!

SSN721
05-08-2005, 04:04 PM
Impressive win today, got a little worried after the Zahn injury (hope he gets well quick). I thought that that might have bene nough motivation for the Jays to pull that one out but Marte made a good pitch to end the game. no complaints only praise, my God, 24-7, 31 game streak having the lead. Unbeleivable:D::bandance::gulp:

SOXit2EM
05-08-2005, 04:06 PM
C'mon twinks! Lets choke this one away!:D: Twins win AGAIN. Looks like were not going to run away w/ the division. :(:

TheBull19
05-08-2005, 04:07 PM
How many runs did the sox give up after the 4th again? Zero? Oh, yeah, but ozzie mismanaged the pitching staff. *****. <---god, I never use that.

delben91
05-08-2005, 04:09 PM
Twins win AGAIN. Looks like were not going to run away w/ the division. :(:

Except when they play head-to-head, Sox can only control their own games. I'm going to enjoy these Sox wins and not worry about the Twins.

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :bandance:

SOXit2EM
05-08-2005, 04:11 PM
Except when they play head-to-head, Sox can only control their own games. I'm going to enjoy these Sox wins and not worry about the Twins.

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :bandance: Good 4 you! Unfortunately for me, I will worry till we get into the playoffs :cool:

chisox77
05-08-2005, 04:12 PM
Besides, the Twins are playing pretty good, and they have not been able to cut into the 4 1/2 game lead that the Sox have held by staying hot.

Wsoxmike59
05-08-2005, 04:16 PM
I have my catch phrase all set for work tomorrow to antagonize the Cub fans. With apologies to voodoo who posted this already, but I swear I was gonna post it as well and don't want to steal his thunder.

Hell yeah I'm a Sox fan.....24/7!!!!

flo-B-flo
05-08-2005, 04:18 PM
I wrote somewhere in here that the Sox had an eight game winning streak when it was 7. TODAY was the 8th in a row. My bad. Sloppy play from Uribe but, great job by the bullpen for the last five innings. Marte was shaky and still got the last out. Another team effort. GO-GO SOX!!!!!!! :gulp:

TaylorStSox
05-08-2005, 04:23 PM
The error's by Uribe weren't as bad as everyone makes them seem. On the first play, he doesn't have a play at second anyway. The ball was hit deep in the hole. The second was Lopez' fault. He gave Uribe a terribly low throw. Uribe probably should have pocketed the ball but it was Lopez throw that caused the play.

My whole point is that everyone wants to rip Uribe when he's our best fielder.

nasox
05-08-2005, 04:33 PM
Sloppy play from Uribe but, great job by the bullpen for the last five innings. Huh? :unsure:

MeanFish
05-08-2005, 04:51 PM
Besides, the Twins are playing pretty good, and they have not been able to cut into the 4 1/2 game lead that the Sox have held by staying hot.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm actually rooting for the Twins. Nothing would be better for the AL Central than two playoff teams this year. Of course, I still want us to end up on top :cool:

Baby Fisk
05-08-2005, 04:55 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, once again it gives me great pleasure to declare the par-tay switch has been shifted to the "ON" position! Hit it, fellas!

:bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: [*high-steppin' it big time*]

O thank you Chicago White Sox for delivering a beautiful and memorable three-game sweep here in Toronto! This game felt like it would never end. The magnetic pull of the north pole must have been messing with Garland and Buehrle's arms -- but a win is a win is a win! Pass the punch!

mmmmmbeeer
05-08-2005, 05:00 PM
The error's by Uribe weren't as bad as everyone makes them seem. On the first play, he doesn't have a play at second anyway. The ball was hit deep in the hole. The second was Lopez' fault. He gave Uribe a terribly low throw. Uribe probably should have pocketed the ball but it was Lopez throw that caused the play.

My whole point is that everyone wants to rip Uribe when he's our best fielder.

Thanks for pointing that out, you beat me to it.

Great game for the most part. Most importantly, let's hope Gregg Zaun walks away from his injury with nothing worse than a headache and a scare. I really like the way Zaun played this entire series; he's scrappy, understands the game, and leaves it all out on the field.

24-7, unreal. I thought Ozzie got a bit too cute bringing Marte in when Hermy was cruising, but fortunately it worked out alright. Ozzie seems to learn from his mistakes (for the most part) and will hopefully pull a lesson from that 9th inning. Dye is starting to get locked in as is big Juan. We saw what a hot Juan is capable of early last season and it's a great time for him to get going again now that we're beginning to play outside our "weak" division. I'm really starting to get p.o.'d at p.k. I can't remember the last time I saw him swing at a first pitch. Perhaps it's just me, but I swear it looks like the scouting reports state as much and that's why he takes first pitch strikes right over the heart of the plate in nearly every AB, the pitchers seemingly know they can get away with it. Hey paulie, you wanna get out of your slump? Don't be so predictable every ab.

I can't get over how well this team looks. Even the majority of our 7 losses were due to our own mistakes as opposed to just flat out being outplayed. Bring on LAA, BOS, and BAL, I can't wait to see how our Sox respond.

soxtalker
05-08-2005, 05:01 PM
Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm actually rooting for the Twins. Nothing would be better for the AL Central than two playoff teams this year. Of course, I still want us to end up on top :cool:

I think that this is a common feeling among many Sox fans. And I think that this thought IS CRAZY. The Twins are VERY dangerous. They aren't afraid of us. If they stay close -- and they are only 4 behind in the loss column -- they will be quite confident that they can overtake us. If they meet us in a playoff, they will be dangerous -- perhaps more dangerous than the teams from the other divisions who won't be as familiar with us or consider us a natural rival.

WhiteSox16K
05-08-2005, 05:12 PM
Why couldn't April have been as good as May has been?

This is awesome! :bandance:

fquaye149
05-08-2005, 05:29 PM
haha - i love this site...all our postgame threads dwindle around 65 posts...whereas if we had lost somehow today we'd have had a quintuple tomato along with peripheral threads calling for the following heads:

ozzie for bringing marte in

uribe for throwing the ball away

wondering if zaun's injury screwed up our momentum

wondering if today was the turning point for the rest of the season.

Nothing unusual about that I guess - not a ton to say about our 16th win in 19 games, but still is a little funny to note how most people stay quiet until there's something to complain about.

Jjav829
05-08-2005, 05:30 PM
Ahhh, another nice sweep. Uribe had me worried about there. It's nice to see him heating up at the plate. Same for Dye. Even Rowand is starting to hit a bit more. Slowly but surely, the bats are heating up. Hopefully Paulie turns it around soon.

24-7! :bandance:

By the way, I was extremely impressed with the Blue Jays organization this weekend. From the crappy field to the moron security guard taking the fan off through the outfield to the empty stadium. What a first class organization they run there.

Somewhere the people of Las Vegas, Portland, etc. await their new team...

delben91
05-08-2005, 05:32 PM
Nothing unusual about that I guess - not a ton to say about our 16th win in 19 games, but still is a little funny to note how most people stay quiet until there's something to complain about.

Couldn't agree more. I guess we all just expect victories and thus a win is only "as expected" where as a loss is "not living up to expectations" ?? Maybe I'm trying to hard to give logic to this pattern...

Twas always thus, and thus it shall always be...

Jjav829
05-08-2005, 05:34 PM
haha - i love this site...all our postgame threads dwindle around 65 posts...whereas if we had lost somehow today we'd have had a quintuple tomato along with peripheral threads calling for the following heads:

ozzie for bringing marte in

uribe for throwing the ball away

wondering if zaun's injury screwed up our momentum

wondering if today was the turning point for the rest of the season.

There is less to talk about with wins. This happens for every sport. Losing creates more conversation than winning. It has nothing to do with this site. What are we gonna talk about? We won. There's nothing to ignite conversation. No controversy. No talk about what to do with Dye, Uribe, Rowand, etc. now that they are hitting. Winning takes away most topics.

Baby Fisk
05-08-2005, 05:38 PM
By the way, I was extremely impressed with the Blue Jays organization this weekend. From the crappy field to the moron security guard taking the fan off through the outfield to the empty stadium. What a first class organization they run there.

The Jays aren't going anywhere. The Canadian version of Ted Turner just bought the team and is enmeshing it within every facet of his TV empire.

Stop picking on Canada, eh!

NorthlakeTom
05-08-2005, 06:17 PM
Vegas will never have a major league team. They can't even draw for their AAA club. They're near the bottom in AAA attendance.

TheBull19
05-08-2005, 06:21 PM
Stop picking on Canada, eh!

Maybe if you hosers had a higher murder rate we'd respect you more.

A. Cavatica
05-08-2005, 06:30 PM
I didn't see the game. I have some questions.

1) We had a couple more caught stealing in this game. I'm not a big fan of the stolen base when it's Everett or Crede running (*); it doesn't unnerve the pitcher or the defense, it just gives up a baserunner AND an out (more often than not). And I don't think Ozzie really gets this -- he seems to think aggressiveness for its own sake is smart baseball. We ran ourselves out of a lot of games like this last year.

So the question is: did the situations justify the attempts today, and were the plays close?

(*) Of course, Podsednik should be running all day.

2) While I hope Zaun is all right, if he goes into second trying to take out the 2B, you can't expect much sympathy if you get hurt. We've had problems with our batters getting hit, with our catchers being run over, etc. for a while, so I *love* the fact that we finally won one of these confrontations. And I love the fact that it was Pedro Lopez who won it.

So the question is: am I reading too much into the collision? Was it just an accident?

FarWestChicago
05-08-2005, 06:34 PM
The Jays aren't going anywhere. The Canadian version of Ted Turner just bought the team and is enmeshing it within every facet of his TV empire.

Stop picking on Canada, eh!Most Americans don't know who Ted Rogers is and that he is intent on owning the entire nation of Canada. Plus, he got the Ted Dome for a song. The Sox announcers even said he's going to let payroll go up by $20 million per year for the next three years if that's what it takes to get the Jays back to the top of the East.

ode to veeck
05-08-2005, 06:36 PM
So the question is: am I reading too much into the collision? Was it just an accident?

On the replay, it sure looked like an unfortunate accident

FarWestChicago
05-08-2005, 06:36 PM
There is less to talk about with wins. This happens for every sport. Losing creates more conversation than winning. It has nothing to do with this site.Although your basic point is correct, I believe we have more negative psychos than most sites and it exacerbates the normal effect.

Lip Man 1
05-08-2005, 07:07 PM
Actually from what I read in The Sporting News, the new Jays owner has approved a 21 million dollar payroll increase over the next three years. The story said the Jays will be allowed to add roughly seven million in payroll per year.

That's still a nice improvement for the Jays.

Lip

The Racehorse
05-08-2005, 07:13 PM
Actually from what I read in The Sporting News, the new Jays owner has approved a 21 million dollar payroll increase over the next three years. The story said the Jays will be allowed to add roughly seven million in payroll per year.

:KW
*wiping brow* "whew. Thanks for clearing that up!"

-------------------------

Nice win today fellas! :bandance:

owensmouth
05-08-2005, 07:21 PM

My whole point is that everyone wants to rip Uribe when he's our best fielder.I disagree. He may not have been able to get a double play on the grounder, but one was possible. As far as the throw was concerned, he caught it and rushed a throw that he didn't need to. Also, had he made the first play, the second wouldn't have been necessary. I like Uribe too, but don't blame others for his mistakes. Like you said, maybe he should have held onto the ball at second. When he threw it, it was his fault.

NorthlakeTom
05-08-2005, 07:22 PM
1) We had a couple more caught stealing in this game. I'm not a big fan of the stolen base when it's Everett or Crede running (*); it doesn't unnerve the pitcher or the defense, it just gives up a baserunner AND an out (more often than not). And I don't think Ozzie really gets this -- he seems to think aggressiveness for its own sake is smart baseball. We ran ourselves out of a lot of games like this last year.

So the question is: did the situations justify the attempts today, and were the plays close?

This is my impression as well. Everett got picked off (again). Tampa has something like a 6.00 ERA, so I hope Ozzie doesn't run us into a loss. We lead the league is SB, but we also lead in CS. Everett has three CS.

owensmouth
05-08-2005, 07:34 PM
I didn't see the game. I have some questions.

(*) Of course, Podsednik should be running all day.

2) While I hope Zaun is all right, if he goes into second trying to take out the 2B, you can't expect much sympathy if you get hurt. We've had problems with our batters getting hit, with our catchers being run over, etc. for a while, so I *love* the fact that we finally won one of these confrontations. And I love the fact that it was Pedro Lopez who won it.

So the question is: am I reading too much into the collision? Was it just an accident?Accident? Zaun was trying to break up a double play. I'm sure he didn't expect to get injured himself, but he initiated the collision.

As for those two caught stealing, the replay showed that Crede was never tagged. Another crappy call by a 2d base umpire. Carl...well give him an E for effort.

What the heck, we won.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-08-2005, 08:41 PM
anyone here donn paul call dj "boy" at the tail end of the broadcast? dj was congratulating him and he said to the effect "yeah i tell you i had a real blast boy" I think he meant to say "boy that was a good time" it came out kinda bad

balke
05-08-2005, 09:20 PM
I was really impressed how hard and early we jumped on Chacin today. He has pitched like a stud pretty much until this game, and he got hit HARD. Its strange how many Hr's we hit this series, I wasn't aware it was this easy to go yard in Toronto.

A lot of people were questioning the change of Marte but I liked Marte closing out in this situation, nothing against Shingo. I was listening to the Dodgers game on the road today and the announcer went on and on about how well the Sox are doing, and how our bullpen is highly underrated to this point. Both commentators mentioned how Ozzie was smart to be closing games by situation. We aren't closer by committee as in the ugly cliche, we just have a lot of good relief that are specialists. And Ozzie (or coop) have been pretty good about pacing out our relievers' innings pitched.

It was nice to see Buehrle able to walk away with that win, especially after key errors at SS early.

Being able to hit a great pitcher, and sweep a team that's been pretty decent this season really makes me optimistic about the Sox' season. We are legit beyond any shadow of a doubt for me right now. Bad things can still happen, but barring injuries I don't see a collapse. Even with injuries I don't see a collapse. I think we have a great shot at the playoffs. Keep it up SOX! :bandance:

ExpoPuddingHead
05-08-2005, 09:33 PM
Have you guys noticed, but the AL Central has become the best division in baseball. The Sox and Twins are battling it out like the Bo Sox and Yankees in recent years. That shows how much Payroll has to do with sucess. Keep this up.

CleeFan101
05-09-2005, 01:07 AM
The best thing about this win, last year we really struggled against lefties and pitchers we hadnt seen before. Well Chacin is a lefty we hadnt seen before and we won which is a very positive sign :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

jabrch
05-09-2005, 01:17 AM
This is my impression as well. Everett got picked off (again). Tampa has something like a 6.00 ERA, so I hope Ozzie doesn't run us into a loss. We lead the league is SB, but we also lead in CS. Everett has three CS.

So what? I'll take the CS if the upside is as many SBs as we have.

The effect of the SBs and the threat of more SBs is much more positive than the negative cost of a few CS.

ilsox7
05-09-2005, 01:20 AM

If I am not mistaken, that CS was on an 0-2 pitch going on the 1st move, with 2 outs. Nothing wrong with that.

BRDSR
05-09-2005, 02:14 AM

What with inflation the last few years, that will amount to what...2 or 3 million over those three years? Plus, is that Canadian Dollars? We all know they're only worth 13% of a real dollar.

The Racehorse
05-09-2005, 06:07 AM
:tomatoaward